• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

I quickly gave up finding 'nerdy girls'. Every nerdy girl here prioritized hobbies over any semblance of a healthy lifestyle. Maybe they're insane as well but I can't even get passed the lack of physical attraction to even bother.

urge26

Anyone say "I love you" too soon? I got the "I'm falling in love with you" back and she's said it was just a bit sooner than she expected. So I guess we're cool, but it definitely feels a little imbalanced. I'm not gonna let it get me all anxious, but I can't be the first one here to drop the L bomb too quickly, right?

I dropped the "I'm falling in love with you" about 2 months into dating and didn't get a response. We're now 8 months into dating and she's asking me when I'm going to pop the question. I think you're good.

the1npc

I quickly gave up finding 'nerdy girls'. Every nerdy girl here prioritized hobbies over any semblance of a healthy lifestyle. Maybe they're insane as well but I can't even get passed the lack of physical attraction to even bother.

Finding some one less into nerdy shit is going awesome fot me we balance eachother out

Makonero

I dropped the "I'm falling in love with you" about 2 months into dating and didn't get a response. We're now 8 months into dating and she's asking me when I'm going to pop the question. I think you're good.
Ha! Like I said, I'm not that anxious, it's clear that she's pretty into me, so I'm still really happy. Glad to know I'm not alone though!

Leeness

Can confirm. We are the worst.

I dunno, we're not all bad, I don't think?

Azerare

"Nerds girls" in the sense are out there but are probably doing what we're doing; game binges lol.

Though I'll give it to you in all seriousness that you may be better of trying to find someone who can at least tolerate it. Just don't expect fully immersed in the culture to pop up too often.

Astral

Do any of you guys go out alone? I just did it and it sucked. I guess it's my fault for having no desire to talk to people. And some old couple kept making out next to me.

People who are nerdy are great, people who define their entire self as nerdy tend to be weird.

Do any of you guys go out alone? I just did it and it sucked. I guess it's my fault for having no desire to talk to people. And some old couple kept making out next to me.

What sort of place did you go out to? Generally I don't though, I had to go out alone all the time in solo travels and it was fine then but got no desire to do it here at home.

Seems the guys shield themselves in games/anime/movies to avoid personal development and are not looking for a girlfriend (although that is situation vacant) but a new friend with a vagina. Someone who won't be a meany and let them keep playing with thier toys and not trouble them with all that boring stuff girls like to do. That poster child nerdy girl does not exist and the ones I've seen in real life are, honestly, umm not great.

Even if they did get that great nerdy girl at some point in her mid-late 20's is going to have Johnny McSwingdick pull up outside her home in his new car saying "Hey Babe, wanna go with me to the beach/top club/bar/Restaurant/concert?" And she'll be gone leaving a sad nerd standing in his doorway saying "But I've just downloaded all this weeks new anime episiodes for us to watch and what about these PAX tickets? You promised you would cosplay this year!".

But she'll be gone, and nerd guy will be almost 30 and failed to personally improve himself so even harder to find someone, probably turn into that guy that "finds it hard to get into a new relationship becuse some girl broke his heart and he now has trust issues". Nope it's becuse you let yourself be defined by nerd stuff.

The Man Seeking Woman episode about this was great XD

640.jpg

N.Domixis

Banned
I never go anywhere unless It's work, school or my little bro invites me to see a movie with him.

Astral

People who are nerdy are great, people who define their entire self as nerdy tend to be weird.

What sort of place did you go out to? Generally I don't though, I had to go out alone all the time in solo travels and it was fine then but got no desire to do it here at home.

I went to some bar by my house. I was mostly just in the mood for one drink. There was karaoke. It wa kinda boring still. It's just not the same without friends and I am not social enough to talk to others. I probably won't do it again.

So, I've been wanting to try out Bumble. As an extremely shy individual, it'd be so much easier (and less anxiety attack inducing) for me if someone else initiated contact.

Only problem is that my phone is old and doesn't support the app. Any way of using it on a Win10 PC?

Apparently I have to use an emulator? Anyone have advice for that?

[EDIT]
Nevermind. Got Bluestacks and... app not available in my country. Wonderful.

FyreWulff

Yeah, people.. remember gaming is a hobby, not a lifestyle.

I've dated a few women via OKC and all, minus one, liked videogames. Hell even if you tried to find a person specifically they might not even like the specific subset of games you do. One was a Sims and FF-no-later-than-9 player. The other was mostly Super Mario and board games. My recent buddy with the Dreamcast and N64 only.

Online dating question:

What is DatingGAF's views on a follow-up message to someone that went unanswered. I've seen this discussed on various dating blogs, but it seems so counterintuitive. The person didn't answer once, so why would they a second time?

And if it's a viable strategy, then what does one even say in a follow-up? "Hey, remember me? I wanted to talk to you and you ignored me. So, here's another chance for you to ignore me some more!"

There's a person I messaged 4 days ago and got a response within15 minutes. I had fallen asleep by then and wasn't able to reply until, not the next day, but the following, as I went to a concert with a friend. And no response, but it's someone I would at least like to talk with more.

Disclaimer, if I were to follow up with anyone, not just this person, I would think waiting a week would be reasonable and anything less a bit creepy/stalker-y.

Online dating question:

What is DatingGAF's views on a follow-up message to someone that went unanswered. I've seen this discussed on various dating blogs, but it seems so counterintuitive. The person didn't answer once, so why would they a second time?

And if it's a viable strategy, then what does one even say in a follow-up? "Hey, remember me? I wanted to talk to you and you ignored me. So, here's another chance for you to ignore me some more!"

There's a person I messaged 4 days ago and got a response within15 minutes. I had fallen asleep by then and wasn't able to reply until, not the next day, but the following, as I went to a concert with a friend. And no response, but it's someone I would at least like to talk with more.

Disclaimer, if I were to follow up with anyone, not just this person, I would think waiting a week would be reasonable and anything less a bit creepy/stalker-y.

I think 1 more message is fine. You literally have nothing to lose, everything to gain. People get busy and forget to respond for any number of reasons. However, I get the hint after 2 unanswered messages and move on.

I'm the same with date cancellations / re-scheduling. If it happens once, no big deal. Circumstances change etc. 2 cancellations or re-schedules in a row, I'm not messaging until she does first.

gaiages

Banned
Can confirm. We are the worst.

I dunno, we're not all bad, I don't think?

Well, I mean, defining what's a nerd or not I think is the issue here. Like, most of my interests are decidedly very nerdy and whatnot, but I don't really identify wholly as a 'nerd girl', lol.

I think most people are talking about the people that define their whole being on their nerdy stuff, which typically revolves solely around niche media consumption. That goes for nerdy guys, too. Any guy I've met that bases his personality/worth on games/anime/cartoons/other nerdy stuff I've also found absolutely insane.

Essentally...

It should be this one:

giphy.gif

OMFG THAT'S ADORABLE

I'd so respond to a guy that would send me that lol

Ozorov

Well, I mean, defining what's a nerd or not I think is the issue here. Like, most of my interests are decidedly very nerdy and whatnot, but I don't really identify wholly as a 'nerd girl', lol.

I think most people are talking about the people that define their whole being on their nerdy stuff, which typically revolves solely around niche media consumption. That goes for nerdy guys, too. Any guy I've met that bases his personality/worth on games/anime/cartoons/other nerdy stuff I've also found absolutely insane.

Essentally...

OMFG THAT'S ADORABLE

Haha, I'll try it some more tonight for the funz.

MadSexual

I've been going out alone pretty often lately. My roommates are horrid homebodies and never want to be social, so I have to get it somewhere. The place you choose makes all the difference. A lot of people like coffee shops for this. I always go to cozy pubs. I take a book or do some writing if there's nobody to talk to. I enjoy myself just fine.

Unai

Matched someone on Tinder yesterday using a superlike and she had already liked me. We're going on a date in less than two hours. That was really fast, but she is in town just until thursday so I had to hurry a little. Wish me luck!

I've been talking to this girl for a few days and she's fine, pretty and all. But she is destroyed from a failed relationship and she's so sensitive to any joke or sth. Idk what to do. At the moment I'm just being a friend to her as I know there's no way a relationship will come from someone in her condition, but it's hard to know what to say to her.

To make it clear, yes I would like to ask her out but not now.

So, I've been talking to her and getting to know her a bit more. We're going out someday this week. I dunno what to expect, guess I'll just go and not expect anything. :p

Jhoan

I've tried messaging girls with that Hey Dog GIF but no dice. At best, it's been a novelty because I've only had one reply but that's it. I think I need better/new pictures in my rotation. It's YMMV for sure.

Leeness

Essentally...

OMFG THAT'S ADORABLE

This is true. I'm probably most defined by my career at this point, though most of my interests are nerdy... haha.

I dunno. I guess I don't define my whole being around dorky stuff, but TV/movies/games are most of my interests. -shrug-

And that stupid dog is really cute.

Haha.. I was specifically referring to my city. I've seen plenty of cute nerdy girls but they're all in Toronto or Montreal.

Psssh. Big city nerds.

AnAnole

So, I've been wanting to try out Bumble. As an extremely shy individual, it'd be so much easier (and less anxiety attack inducing) for me if someone else initiated contact.

Only problem is that my phone is old and doesn't support the app. Any way of using it on a Win10 PC?

Apparently I have to use an emulator? Anyone have advice for that?

[EDIT]
Nevermind. Got Bluestacks and... app not available in my country. Wonderful.

You should just give up on dating if you have anxiety. Women detest dudes with anxiety and /or depression.

No_Style

You should just give up on dating if you have anxiety. Women detest dudes with anxiety and /or depression.

Or he should continue to try, get burned by it and use it as inspiration to conquer his anxieties. Or he may find someone! To give up without even trying is a little harsh.

Okay, here's my dilemma, then. What do you possibly say to someone, then? I message people and ask them questions about themselves, following up with more questions. So, my last message has a question or two just hanging there.

How do you follow that up? Like I said, messaging someone again that hasn't responded is just so counter-intuitive.

What were your questions? Be a little cheeky and riff on what you asked. You're just trying to get a reaction out of them amongst a sea of messages.

I somehow managed to get someone to respond to me and all she had in her profile was "...". I just said that she was right and ellipses were awesome or something to that extent. Just have fun with it. If she doesn't reply, shrug and move on.

I think 1 more message is fine. You literally have nothing to lose, everything to gain. People get busy and forget to respond for any number of reasons. However, I get the hint after 2 unanswered messages and move on.
Okay, here's my dilemma, then. What do you possibly say to someone, then? I message people and ask them questions about themselves, following up with more questions. So, my last message has a question or two just hanging there.

How do you follow that up? Like I said, messaging someone again that hasn't responded is just so counter-intuitive.

Dont you have other girls you've matched with? Just let this one go.

gaiages

Banned
This is true. I'm probably most defined by my career at this point, though most of my interests are nerdy... haha.

I dunno. I guess I don't define my whole being around dorky stuff, but TV/movies/games are most of my interests. -shrug-

And that stupid dog is really cute.

Psssh. Big city nerds.

Haha, yeah, to be honest, I'm mostly the same. My main interest is gaming by far, and I watch TV... well, enough I guess. I can't really define myself with my career though because... man, accounting scares people. Or bores them. One of the two.

While it's important to work on oneself and try to be "the best you you can be" (to be cheesy af), that is some shitty advice. No one ever got over anxiety/shyness by building a bubble of isolation around themselves.

Leeness

Cool! Good luck!

Thanks!

Haha, yeah, to be honest, I'm mostly the same. My main interest is gaming by far, and I watch TV... well, enough I guess. I can't really define myself with my career though because... man, accounting scares people. Or bores them. One of the two.

Games and media sistas.

Accounting can be interesting! The accountants in my firm are all cool and I talk to them about their work haha. :) But yeah, it probably scares most people lol. I mean, I guess law isn't that interesting, but I always have fun stories about different files haha. I like the law though...it's super cool to me lol. 🤔

No_Style

I'm not sure if define myself in a single word anymore. It started with my race, then it was my hobby (primarily gaming and tech), then it was my job in IT and now it's a mishmash of gaming, deal site owner, personal finance guy, IT guy, likes to stay fit, football (euro and American) watcher and electric car owner? It's weird but that's what my friends go to me for.

AnAnole

Or he should continue to try, get burned by it and use it as inspiration to conquer his anxieties. Or he may find someone! To give up without even trying is a little harsh.

What were your questions? Be a little cheeky and riff on what you asked. You're just trying to get a reaction out of them amongst a sea of messages.

I somehow managed to get someone to respond to me and all she had in her profile was "...". I just said that she was right and ellipses were awesome or something to that extent. Just have fun with it. If she doesn't reply, shrug and move on.

How the fuck does "getting burned" inspire anyone?

Unless you have any experience dating with anxiety, then I have no idea how you can begin to give advice. Dating with anxiety will only lead to heartache and greater feeling of worthlessness.

ATF487

I'm the same with date cancellations / re-scheduling. If it happens once, no big deal. Circumstances change etc. 2 cancellations or re-schedules in a row, I'm not messaging until she does first.

Yeah I go by this as well. I tend to let conversations die, but every once in awhile I will send a follow up if I think we'd get along well.

Actually had someone send 3 follow up messages to me recently on coffee meets bagel. Those chats close after a certain amount of time too, unless you extend them, which she did. She seemed nice but I lost interest in the conversation (and also realized after scrolling through more of her pictures that she had an uncanny resemblance to my recently deceased aunt). Ended up unmatching, did not know what to say, really. Couldn't tell her THAT.

On tinder, I saw a profile of a girl that said "Hitler did nothing wrong."

Huh.

Fascination with the abominable moved me to swipe right. If I get a match, I'll see what happens if I bust out a dreidel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom