• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great banter, great chemistry, things were REALLY good on today's date. The whole afternoon just flew right by. We had coffee and played board games at a local spot, then later on went on to eat some dinner together. Night ended with a bit a makeout session for what we dubbed as my "prize" for winning the games earlier. We both have a busy week at school but are planning on going out again next week.

gaiages

Banned
My GF works at the same hospital that i do and it hasn't caused any issues. It seems to be a fairly common thing in the hospital setting so maybe it's different. Also we were friends for quite a long time before anything happened.

Overall I think it depends on the people involved and the workplace you're at. Whilst it can be a bad idea I don't think it's an absolute no as is often implied.

I kinda feel hospitals are different because of the harsh work environment--it seems unless you're really high up, your work is kinda your life, so it's hard to meet people outside it *that can deal with ad understand your crazy ass work schedule* easily.

Or maybe I just watch too many doctor shows >.>

What's the issue with meeting people online? You're worried about meeting crazies?

Anyway, in me related news, your boy is engaged! I popped the question last night and she said yes. We're getting married next year. Shit was tense as fuck as she started to cry and I thought she was crying cause she didn't want to, but nope, happy tears motherfuckers.

Feeling fucking fantastic.

Yay, congrats! <3 <3

Hmm having a weird time with my current relationship/not relationship.

So the lady friend I wanted to try to date, but said before she doesn't want a boyfriend has been coming over a lot and we go out a lot either just the two of us or with friends. It's been a fairly just between us thing but some people have caught on. Then spread it around lol. Nothing serious, it is what it is and thats how we were trying to proceed with it.

Anyway now that it's been a few weeks I've been telling people flat out, were not dating or a couple, so has she... usually. I was surprised about two weeks ago we were out walking around after shopping a bit and ran into one of my friends, an older lady who I try to teach English too sometimes. I said hi and of course the older lady said "ah this is your girlfriend?" as most older people do here when they see a guy and girl together. I start to say no, and she just says straight up "yes I'm his girlfriend" .... hmmm wait what? But then later that night for our halloween party when guys come up to her or our friends ask whats up with us, its "no were just friends." hmmm... Same thing when shes drunk, shes either all over me (quite literally) or starts telling me to find someone to hookup with and that she will help me, "just pick someone out" -eyeroll- all while expecting me to give her a place to sleep lol.

Have been feeling meh on her for a while though. Was talking with friends a few days later and we were all agreeing.She is kinda cold I guess. One of those very well put together type people who don't really let anyone in. A lot of them agree that while she is gorgeous (and she is very pretty) I should stop holding back on the other ladies that have been interested in me during this whole thing.

I guess it was good to realize early on that just cause I wanted her attention does not mean there would be any spark once I had it. Time to mosey on.

But now I may be potentially living out a fantasy of being surrounded by the cute bank girls thanks to a drinking buddy who works at the local branch. Their boss wants them to learn more English and set up a drinking party for them to meet English speakers. Nearly fainted from excitement when he nudged me on the side and said they would still be wearing the uniforms haha. I always talk about how cute the bank girls are and this might be my chance!

Kevtones

Date 4. Went great. Ended with us both considering sex in a parking lot in DTLA. She's coming over soon. We're really hitting it off. Some little snippets of magic tonight

:)

Starting to feel some guilt that Date 3 on Tuesday with another girl I like but not quite as much is coming over to cook with me. It's like&#8230; Aghhh. She's also coming over for&#8230; You know.

Hmm having a weird time with my current relationship/not relationship.

So the lady friend I wanted to try to date, but said before she doesn't want a boyfriend has been coming over a lot and we go out a lot either just the two of us or with friends. It's been a fairly just between us thing but some people have caught on. Then spread it around lol. Nothing serious, it is what it is and thats how we were trying to proceed with it.

Anyway now that it's been a few weeks I've been telling people flat out, were not dating or a couple, so has she... usually. I was surprised about two weeks ago we were out walking around after shopping a bit and ran into one of my friends, an older lady who I try to teach English too sometimes. I said hi and of course the older lady said "ah this is your girlfriend?" as most older people do here when they see a guy and girl together. I start to say no, and she just says straight up "yes I'm his girlfriend" .... hmmm wait what? But then later that night for our halloween party when guys come up to her or our friends ask whats up with us, its "no were just friends." hmmm... Same thing when shes drunk, shes either all over me (quite literally) or starts telling me to find someone to hookup with and that she will help me, "just pick someone out" -eyeroll- all while expecting me to give her a place to sleep lol.

Have been feeling meh on her for a while though. Was talking with friends a few days later and we were all agreeing.She is kinda cold I guess. One of those very well put together type people who don't really let anyone in. A lot of them agree that while she is gorgeous (and she is very pretty) I should stop holding back on the other ladies that have been interested in me during this whole thing.

I guess it was good to realize early on that just cause I wanted her attention does not mean there would be any spark once I had it. Time to mosey on.

But now I may be potentially living out a fantasy of being surrounded by the cute bank girls thanks to a drinking buddy who works at the local branch. Their boss wants them to learn more English and set up a drinking party for them to meet English speakers. Nearly fainted from excitement when he nudged me on the side and said they would still be wearing the uniforms haha. I always talk about how cute the bank girls are and this might be my chance!

Yeah, bail on her man. She clearly isn't interested in something resembling a relationship because she can't figure her own shit out. It has nothing to do with you so tell her you can't see her anymore and move on. You've got the right attitude - onwards and upwards!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
How corny is this for a wake up text?

"Once you let me hold on to you, know I'll never let go.
Cause I know that one day this ought to be the best story I've wrote.
It hasn't been long, but I feel that we're a beautiful harmony.
And the more that vibe together, the more perfect the notes.

Good morning beautiful."

She gets up in like an hour, I need an opinion. haha

Keep in mind that I'm naturally and openly a corny dude.

Wait what's happening here? How'd you post to gaf while doing that, that seems challenging.

What's the issue with meeting people online? You're worried about meeting crazies?

Anyway, in me related news, your boy is engaged! I popped the question last night and she said yes. We're getting married next year. Shit was tense as fuck as she started to cry and I thought she was crying cause she didn't want to, but nope, happy tears motherfuckers.

Feeling fucking fantastic.

Congratulations Miles!

vern

Good morning beautiful."

Wait what's happening here? How'd you post to gaf while doing that, that seems challenging.

Congratulations Miles!

That text seems shitty but I'm not all sappy and romantic and corny. I'd wait for her to message me tbh... but if you gotta do it first why not go with something like "girl I wish I could wake up next to you, with my peter pressed up against your backside and my arm all numb and shit cuz I slept wrong but it was worth it cuz I was with you baby."

Vern gets my vote because I both agree with him and because that's probably something that I would say lol. But I mean, if you aren't the kind of person that says this sort of thing naturally (which you don't seem to be or else you wouldn't be asking us) it will come across as forced. Just be you man.

Good morning beautiful."

Please tell you've been together for years because that was hard to read

And consider myself a romantic

Ray Wonder

Please tell you've been together for years because that was hard to read

And consider myself a romantic

haha, I already sent it.

She said "Awwwe, Good morning handsome, I hope you woke up knowing someone cares about you dearly."

My name has a corn emoji next to it in her phone. lol

That text seems shitty but I'm not all sappy and romantic and corny. I'd wait for her to message me tbh... but if you gotta do it first why not go with something like "girl I wish I could wake up next to you, with my peter pressed up against your backside and my arm all numb and shit cuz I slept wrong but it was worth it cuz I was with you baby."

This is pretty good too, and sounds like something I'd also say haha.

I've good morning texted her every morning for like 2 months. So I'm not gonna wait. lol. I get to work like 4 hours before she wakes up.

Ray Wonder

That's a lot faster than I expected

The girl who introduced us is my best friend's girlfriend. They we're dating within a week of meeting each other, and were saying "I love you" within a week and a half of meeting. It's been about 2 months for them too and they're already wanting kids and shit.

I'm moving like a snail compared to them. I actually think it's ridiculous a little bit. They argue and shit like they've been together for years, and when I mentioned it to him,
he said "Ehh, we're out of the honeymoon phase, we argue sometimes."

I was like "bro, I have been dating my girl for a week less than you've been dating her."

Idk, I think things are at a reasonable pace rn.

Salamando

About 2 months. We've only not seen each other like 2 days out of those two months, somehow. Also, we've already went on two trips out of state. Things kinda moved pretty fast.

Was this girl the reason you didn't make the Pittsburgh-Gaf meetup?

I don't even like texting every day that early into the relationship. But if its working for you two, who am I to tell you to stop.

Ray Wonder

Was this girl the reason you didn't make the Pittsburgh-Gaf meetup?

I don't even like texting every day that early into the relationship. But if its working for you two, who am I to tell you to stop.

Yeah, actually. I went to a Halloween party with her.

Sorry. :(

The girl who introduced us is my best friend's girlfriend. They we're dating within a week of meeting each other, and were saying "I love you" within a week and a half of meeting. It's been about 2 months for them too and they're already wanting kids and shit.

I'm moving like a snail compared to them. I actually think it's ridiculous a little bit. They argue and shit like they've been together for years, and when I mentioned it to him,
he said "Ehh, we're out of the honeymoon phase, we argue sometimes."

I was like "bro, I have been dating my girl for a week less than you've been dating her."

Idk, I think things are at a reasonable pace rn.

Honestly, I think it's going to crash and burn hard but I hope for the best for the two of you

Ray Wonder

Mean face and tiny hands holding a big gun, Trump supporter?

I'm starting to develop a complex over my hands. Thanks, y'all.

Not a Trump supporter, btw

Good morning beautiful."

I just threw up in my mouth

Exokell

Banned

Good morning beautiful."

This girl better be a musician in an orchestra. Can't you write stupid funny shit instead dude?

Ray Wonder

The entire suicide thing should still be addressed. Attempting suicide to escape a relationship with a guy, who she then still hung out with once she had escaped...there's some red flags there, for sure.

Yeah, we've talked about it. I'm not gonna talk about it here though. ;)

I just threw up in my mouth

Come oooon

It's not that bad

hahahaha fuck

This girl better be a musician in an orchestra. Can't you write stupid funny shit instead dude?

Get you somebody that can do both.

None of the girls I know stand corny shit, they often tell me stories of corny men and things they have heard and it ends up being a laughing riot. So if you like to say and write things on the regular, make sure you hold on to this one lol

Astral

So today I was going back home from the mall with my younger cousin when I had to stop for gas. As I'm filling my car up, we notice that the girl in front of us doing the same is really, really attractive. Of course, I do nothing. I wanted to do something, I was thinking of doing something, but I couldn't think of what to say on the spot so I did nothing. Fast forward to tonight and I'm feeling really down. I realize it's because I did nothing back at the gas station. It's such an uncomfortable feeling. Like, I just feel like I have to do something to make up for it and then when I don't, I feel worse. I've been thinking about just why that is and what it is exactly that bothers me, why I'm so shy.

One thing I've come up with is that I don't like to make it obvious that I'm attracted to someone. For example, with this girl, I would look at her and whenever she looked back I would look away and pretend to be disinterested. My cousin was going on about how pretty she was but I ignored him and tried to make him believe I don't care, maybe even make myself believe I don't care. After thinking about it I've come to the conclusion that I feel pressured when a girl notices I'm checking her out. I feel like she's expecting me to do something and it makes me feel anxious, so to avoid that I pretend like I'm not interested.

Another reason I hide my attraction to someone is because I'm afraid of the consequences. I started thinking about what might have happened if I had asked for her number. I immediately think about the negative consequences, the worst being that she'll coldly reject me without even looking at me and leave me feeling embarrassed and unwanted or unattractive. I then started to thinking about the alternatives. She could have politely declined and maybe even feel flattered. That's not such a bad outcome at all really. In fact, this may have been the likely "negative" scenario. Finally, another alternative could have been that she gave me her number. I'm spend so much time catastrophizing the situation that I don't think about the other possible outcomes. Then I started thinking what if the worst possible outcome had happened? Would it really have been that bad if she had coldly rejected me? I mean, what was going to happen? Was I gonna piss myself? No. Cry? No. Get angry at her? No. All I would've done is say something like "oh well I had to try, bye" and leave. Yeah I would've felt kinda bad for being rejected but I would've felt good about trying. Hell, I've been rejected plenty of times and I never felt horrible about it so why was I afraid this time?

I'm writing this out because I felt like I had to put my thoughts into words and get a clear picture of my thought patterns and why it is I do what I do (or don't). I'm also doing it because I figure there's a lot of people like me that really exaggerate in their minds what the consequences of asking a girl out would be. Because of this they neglect to think about other and maybe even more likely possibilities. I feel like one thing you gotta ask yourself in these situations is "What am I afraid is going to happen?" And from that you can start analyzing your thoughts. "I'm afraid she'll say no." Then you can ask yourself, "What'll happen if she says no? What else can she say?" Things like that. Whatever negative thought you have, there's always a more realistic and maybe even positive alternative thought.

With that in mind, I've decided to try to stop hiding my attraction for someone. If someone catches me looking at them I should smile or something. It's a small step but I feel like I need to at least be able to do this before I can start approaching girls. Maybe judging by their reaction, I can know whether to approach or not. My end goal is to be able to approach a girl without fear of rejection and just asking for her number or something. Speaking of which, would asking for a girl's number even be what I wanna do? A number doesn't really mean anything a lot of the time. I know sometimes girls just hand them out in order to avoid conflict and then just ignore the person when they text or call them. It's understandable. Therefore, should I really be asking for a number? I'm thinking it's probably better to straight up ask them out but that feels weird when it's a complete stranger.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So today I was going back home from the mall with my younger cousin when I had to stop for gas. As I'm filling my car up, we notice that the girl in front of us doing the same is really, really attractive. Of course, I do nothing. I wanted to do something, I was thinking of doing something, but I couldn't think of what to say on the spot so I did nothing. Fast forward to tonight and I'm feeling really down. I realize it's because I did nothing back at the gas station. It's such an uncomfortable feeling. Like, I just feel like I have to do something to make up for it and then when I don't, I feel worse. I've been thinking about just why that is and what it is exactly that bothers me, why I'm so shy.

One thing I've come up with is that I don't like to make it obvious that I'm attracted to someone. For example, with this girl, I would look at her and whenever she looked back I would look away and pretend to be disinterested. My cousin was going on about how pretty she was but I ignored him and tried to make him believe I don't care, maybe even make myself believe I don't care. After thinking about it I've come to the conclusion that I feel pressured when a girl notices I'm checking her out. I feel like she's expecting me to do something and it makes me feel anxious, so to avoid that I pretend like I'm not interested.

Another reason I hide my attraction to someone is because I'm afraid of the consequences. I started thinking about what might have happened if I had asked for her number. I immediately think about the negative consequences, the worst being that she'll coldly reject me without even looking at me and leave me feeling embarrassed and unwanted or unattractive. I then started to thinking about the alternatives. She could have politely declined and maybe even feel flattered. That's not such a bad outcome at all really. In fact, this may have been the likely "negative" scenario. Finally, another alternative could have been that she gave me her number. I'm spend so much time catastrophizing the situation that I don't think about the other possible outcomes. Then I started thinking what if the worst possible outcome had happened? Would it really have been that bad if she had coldly rejected me? I mean, what was going to happen? Was I gonna piss myself? No. Cry? No. Get angry at her? No. All I would've done is say something like "oh well I had to try, bye" and leave. Yeah I would've felt kinda bad for being rejected but I would've felt good about trying. Hell, I've been rejected plenty of times and I never felt horrible about it so why was I afraid this time?

I'm writing this out because I felt like I had to put my thoughts into words and get a clear picture of my thought patterns and why it is I do what I do (or don't). I'm also doing it because I figure there's a lot of people like me that really exaggerate in their minds what the consequences of asking a girl out would be. Because of this they neglect to think about other and maybe even more likely possibilities. I feel like one thing you gotta ask yourself in these situations is "What am I afraid is going to happen?" And from that you can start analyzing your thoughts. "I'm afraid she'll say no." Then you can ask yourself, "What'll happen if she says no? What else can she say?" Things like that. Whatever negative thought you have, there's always a more realistic and maybe even positive alternative thought.

With that in mind, I've decided to try to stop hiding my attraction for someone. If someone catches me looking at them I should smile or something. It's a small step but I feel like I need to at least be able to do this before I can start approaching girls. Maybe judging by their reaction, I can know whether to approach or not. My end goal is to be able to approach a girl without fear of rejection and just asking for her number or something. Speaking of which, would asking for a girl's number even be what I wanna do? A number doesn't really mean anything a lot of the time. I know sometimes girls just hand them out in order to avoid conflict and then just ignore the person when they text or call them. It's understandable. Therefore, should I really be asking for a number? I'm thinking it's probably better to straight up ask them out but that feels weird when it's a complete stranger.

You're really, really over thinking things here. And I say that with love, because I've been the same way at many points in my life.

Just something you need to realize -- it doesn't matter what her reaction would've been. You can't attach meaning to rejection of any type in the early stages of dating. After all, you never truly know why a woman rejects you. She could be having a terrible day, be on her period, or simply have a boyfriend (or be gay), or many other non-personal reasons. So why assign a negative meaning to it? The answer is, you can't! As crass as it sounds, you need to make rejection meaningless to you. If you let yourself suffer and assign personal meaning to every encounter with a girl that doesn't end with a positive response -- you will suffer and not get any dates. Bottom line. Simple as that.

So what to do in that situation next time? If something about her or the environment doesn't come naturally to you -- Just say "hi" and smile. Who gives a shit what her response is. Even if she scowls in disgust, at least you have the esteem of knowing that you saw a woman you were attracted to and initiated contact. You did something! She may even smile back and say "hello". If she does, take it from there. Just ask questions -- about herself preferably -- everyone loves to talk about themselves! Point is, rejection is actually a beautiful thing. Embrace it. Never take it personally. EVER. Once you start to practice not taking rejection personally, you're well on your way to accomplishing whatever it is you want from dating. And remember that every time you hear a "no", you should be proud of yourself, and you're closer than you were before to getting a date.

Astral

You're really, really over thinking things here. And I say that with love, because I've been the same way at many points in my life.

Just something you need to realize -- it doesn't matter what her reaction would've been. You can't attach meaning to rejection of any type in the early stages of dating. After all, you never truly know why a woman rejects you. She could be having a terrible day, be on her period, or simply have a boyfriend (or be gay), or many other non-personal reasons. So why assign a negative meaning to it? The answer is, you can't! As crass as it sounds, you need to make rejection meaningless to you. If you let yourself suffer and assign personal meaning to every encounter with a girl that doesn't end with a positive response -- you will suffer and not get any dates. Bottom line. Simple as that.

So what to do in that situation next time? If something about her or the environment doesn't come naturally to you -- Just say "hi" and smile. Who gives a shit what her response is. Even if she scowls in disgust, at least you have the esteem of knowing that you saw a woman you were attracted to and initiated contact. You did something! She may even smile back and say "hello". If she does, take it from there. Just ask questions -- about herself preferably -- everyone loves to talk about themselves! Point is, rejection is actually a beautiful thing. Embrace it. Never take it personally. EVER. Once you start to practice not taking rejection personally, you're well on your way to accomplishing whatever it is you want from dating. And remember that every time you hear a "no", you should be proud of yourself, and you're closer than you were before to getting a date.

The funny thing is that every time I got rejected, I never took it personally. With the classmate I asked out like a week ago I even came to the conclusion that I'm simply not her type. I think I'm afraid that after so many failed attempts, I eventually will take it personally and it'll fuck up my self-esteem even more. I mean, if I fail every time it's only natural that I'm the one doing something wrong right?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The funny thing is that every time I got rejected, I never took it personally. With the classmate I asked out like a week ago I even came to the conclusion that I'm simply not her type. I think I'm afraid that after so many failed attempts, I eventually will take it personally and it'll fuck up my self-esteem even more. I mean, if I fail every time it's only natural that I'm the one doing something wrong right?

No.

See my friend, therein lies the struggle.

Fundamentally, you (not just you, all men) are afraid of how women will make you feel if they say no. Most men think about how if they approach a pretty woman and she is rude to them or blows them off (which is inevitable) how it'll be the worst thing ever, and how they'll be humiliated, and what the woman or their friends will think of them. It's a crippling cycle of subconscious thought. What they're really afraid of is what that rejection will mean. Which in turn prevents them from approaching a woman in a relaxed, confident manner. Problem is, it's that need for women's acceptance that makes rejection inevitable.

Ever wonder why when you have a girlfriend it's so easy to talk to women, and they seem to give you positive social responses? It's because you're relaxed and you don't need their approval -- which makes you fundamentally more attractive. Which is one reason it's so easy to cheat (oh, the irony).

There is nothing wrong with you. That's the point I'm trying to make -- when you face rejection, it's completely up to you to decide what it means. And the truth is, it means absolutely nothing.

I know this is kind of heady stuff that goes into human psychology a bit, but trust me it's worth examining and learning from.

SeanC

Haven't been posting much here, but that's because I think I finally got one that stuck. Three weeks in, all seems good - she's someone that is as upfront about dating and stuff as I am - like "you don't seem like an asshole thus far so let's do this and see if it works."

Once you sift through the flakes and so on, it can be worth it. It's just a process.

5 paragraph essay :D

See bruhs? Shit works.

Just ask her out. Who cares about how it feels? Results are literally all that matters man. Does she say yes, does she say no? Summarize all those feels into literally one of two phrases.

Astral

5 paragraph essay :D

See bruhs? Shit works.

Just ask her out. Who cares about how it feels? Results are literally all that matters man. Does she say yes, does she say no? Summarize all those feels into literally one of two phrases.

Holy shit I just realized I actually did write a short essay. It's got an introduction, three points, and a conclusion. Wtf lol. Though long, I feel a lot better after writing that shit out and figuring out some of the things that stop me from just asking someone out. There's actually a former classmate who I see every now and then around campus that I always thought was really cute. She had a boyfriend at the time but if I see her again, which I probably will, I intend to ask her if she still has a boyfriend. I think the question alone makes my intentions pretty obvious.

Just an update on my dating life. I have been dating almost every week and its been a different girl every time. I had 2 dates this last weekend one of which I slept with, which was not my intention. I liked my 2nd date a lot more than my first but I'm not so sure if she's into me. we did kiss by the end of the night and she said that so far i have been the best guy she has met on eharmony. Don't know if she said that just to be nice or if she actually means it. At the end of our date on Saturday I asked for a second date, we made plans to meet next Sunday. However, yesterday she cancelled those plans and said maybe we could meet on Thursday. I am trying not to have negative thoughts and i have to keep telling myself that she is busy. I'm hoping that this is not a flag (of any color) because this is the second girl on this website that i have really liked. lol I wish i wasn't thinking about it all the time. Here's hoping I get that 2nd date.

Also, i would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom