• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Namikaze1

Fuck thorn! The Age of Thorn is almost over! Rejoice, brothers and sisters!
AaRiSvq.gif

eFKac

Do you not have a Truth?

Not like there was a wide variety of competition.

No, no exotic weapon yet. Have Destiny since last Monday and spent my Strange Coins on a helmet from Xur.

eF have you done Hard Crota? Word of Crota is good sort of, then if you've done normal VoG toy can get Praedyth's Revenge sniper which is also void. I wish you were rolling a Titan because with magnetic (void) grenades and a void shotgun you can CLEAN UP. Pantheon when people try to grab B? Hahaha nice try. Throw a void bubble when armor of light is on and wreck them. You could always wait until the Night stalker comes out if you really want to.

No, haven't done that. I'm rocking a vanilla Destiny for now and that's part of the DLC right?

Haven't done VoG yet, I think I will wait for my first try for the Gaf Thursday's newbie friendly run as it's really hard to get a fireteam going.

Yeah Hunter is the worst class for that I think :-/

I've been having some good results lately on Control with over 2.0 K/D with most kills from my shotgun, I think I'll just stick to that and try to hoard the points and see how it goes. If there won't be any significant progress over the next couple of days, it's just not meant to be.

phen0m24

Ignore this post Grimlock

Xbone bros - want to do a flawless (normal) Crota? Why not?

Was thinking it would be fun as we're all 34 now.

Tell me what you think.

Nothing involving the word traitor, either. :p

Makikou

I know i'm usually ignored here but here i go:

Anyone up for a completely new character experience on day 1 of the taken king? I really would want to see and feel how the game progresses now that you level from 1-40 with EXP only. Also added lore etc is a huge plus in my book and i want to see if it's done right.

Will be playing Day 1, the minute it's possible to play. Finland. GMT +3. I'm on vacation so i have tons of time if needed.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ignore this post Grimlock

Xbone bros - want to do a flawless (normal) Crota? Why not?

Was thinking it would be fun as we're all 34 now.

Tell me what you think.

Nothing involving the word traitor, either. :p

I still need flawless. I would like to give it a shot.

X-Frame

Good GI article that is a great quick overview of the story. Obviously a lot of the parts where the GI author sort of skims over consist of quite a few grimoire cards that have resulted is very detailed and interesting lore posts on reddit.

For example, skimming over Rasputin and his actions could've been expanded upon quite a bit since his grimoire cards are just fascinating.

Blunoise

Good GI article that is a great quick overview of the story. Obviously a lot of the parts where the GI author sort of skims over consist of quite a few grimoire cards that have resulted is very detailed and interesting lore posts on reddit.

For example, skimming over Rasputin and his actions could've been expanded upon quite a bit since his grimoire cards are just fascinating.
Rasputin is the Hero we deserve. Fuck the speaker and his big Orb of light over the city

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yep, story article was all stuff I knew. But I went out of my way to do a little archeology in game and one of the guys that became a regular member of my fireteam is a lore nut, so he found everything I missed.

There is a fair amount of story there, it's just not presented to the player or made to feel important to the player's actions. I was laughing at the lore master in my fireteam just the other day because he was trying to impress on my brother just how important killing some of the strike bosses is to The City. The impact of this stuff is just lost as it is. The VO's at mission's end just keep saying, "You just did a really important thing!" But because none of the worldbuilding is presented to the player in a way that makes any sense, the explanation as to why it's important sounds like gibberish.

It occurs to me after reading over the writeup for The Fallen, however, that servitors are probably their attempt to craft artificial Travelers, aren't they?
i think they actually worship servitors so that might be right.

Sorry guys - i would join you for a flawless run but it's 10.40 p.m. here and i'm still reviewing documents for work....

Flawless is fun - have you got someone (or two) who can reliably solo the lamps? The rest is fairly straightforward...if tense!

Yep, story article was all stuff I knew. But I went out of my way to do a little archeology in game and one of the guys that became a regular member of my fireteam is a lore nut, so he found everything I missed.

There is a fair amount of story there, it's just not presented to the player or made to feel important to the player's actions. I was laughing at the lore master in my fireteam just the other day because he was trying to impress on my brother just how important killing some of the strike bosses is to The City. The impact of this stuff is just lost as it is. The VO's at mission's end just keep saying, "You just did a really important thing!" But because none of the worldbuilding is presented to the player in a way that makes any sense, the explanation as to why it's important sounds like gibberish.

It occurs to me after reading over the writeup for The Fallen, however, that servitors are probably their attempt to craft artificial Travelers, aren't they?

I always hated the Voice Overs at the end of a strike because they were so negative.

"Go job Guardian, you kill _____, of course, the race that _____ belonged to will likely come back/strike again/return shortly."

I just paraphrased almost every strike ending with the same sentence.

phen0m24

Sorry guys - i would join you for a flawless run but it's 10.40 p.m. here and i'm still reviewing documents for work....

Flawless is fun - have you got someone (or two) who can reliably solo the lamps? The rest is fairly straightforward...if tense!

Well I am at work still and was trying to gauge interest. I guess I can practice either with my hunter/Titan soloing the lamps. Hmmm

Thanks irro

noomi

Played with kyoufu and falifax earlier and my game was so off, I have a million things on my mind at the moment might be good to stay away from pvp for a bit.

Ophelion

I always hated the Voice Overs at the end of a strike because they were so negative.

"Go job Guardian, you kill _____, of course, the race that _____ belonged to will likely come back/strike again/return shortly."

I just paraphrased almost every strike ending with the same sentence.

Yeah, I noticed them undercutting all your accomplishments too. But I guess when you're the leader of the last human city on earth and the rest of your homeworld is a blasted, post-apocalyptic hellscape, you learn to see things glass-half-empty. That or whoever wrote the dialog in Vanilla was SUPER rushed/lazy.

I think the funniest ending VO though is Sekron because Ghost literally just goes "Good work." and that's it. Especially when doing Nightfall, it just seems so insufficient for the shit I went through to scrape them out a victory.

Of course, then Ikora jumps in to spout the pattern you described, so they still cover their bases.

i think they actually worship servitors so that might be right.

Oh, that is so clingy! It's like they got dumped by a hot person and then started making little effigy dolls of them to leave in places where they used to do things together. Traveler doesn't love you anymore, Fallen! He's our boyfriend now!

Sirim

After leaving Destiny a few days after launch in crushing disappointment mainly due to the story, I'm really excited to jump back in with this new release. Played a few games recently but decided it's worth just waiting it out for now.

Also got caught up on the lore this past week and a lot of the fan theories, and I have to say that the Destiny lore is incredibly fascinating. Really hits all the right notes that science fiction should with a lot of it's high concepts. Learning all that stuff in conjunction with what seems like a cleansing wave coming in September that fixes, or at least acknowledges, most of my major gripes, has gotten me really impatient to get back in. I'm one of those who play games like this to get immersed in the fiction and the role play of picking your character and the like, and suddenly the Destiny universe feels it's about to get on a really good track toward fulfilling its potential.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you guys on DestinyGAF once TTK hits. Glad to see how pleasant you folks here are. Definitely will be hitting up those newbie raids near the start.

Kyoufu

Played with kyoufu and falifax earlier and my game was so off, I have a million things on my mind at the moment might be good to stay away from pvp for a bit.

PVP makes me sad when connections are so bad that opponents live through direct rockets in the face. Makes me mad.

But yeah, if you've got IRL stuff to deal with then it's best to focus on that stuff. Games aren't all that fun when you've got other things to deal with.

Yeah, I noticed them undercutting all your accomplishments too. But I guess when you're the leader of the last human city on earth and the rest of your homeworld is a blasted, post-apocalyptic hellscape, you learn to see things glass-half-empty. That or whoever wrote the dialog in Vanilla was SUPER rushed/lazy.

I think the funniest ending VO though is Sekron because Ghost literally just goes "Good work." and that's it. Especially when doing Nightfall, it just seems so insufficient for the shit I went through to scrape them out a victory.

Of course, then Ikora jumps in to spout the pattern you described, so they still cover their bases.

Let's see how Debbie Downer we can get here.

Devil's Lair:
"Sepiks Prime cast a great shadow over our City. With its destruction, the Fallen Devils will grow weaker. But we must stay vigilant. The Fallen are crafty. They'll find ways to survive. They always do"

Summoning Pits:
"A creature of the Dark has been slain, and our worlds spared another atrocity. But how many more Hive abominations are still out there? Growing among the Darkness? I fear we may find out all too soon."

The Nexus:
"One tendril of the Vex surge has been severed. But their presence here still grows in other dark places far out of our reach. We must continue to understand their power and haunt the realms where they gather.

Cerberus Vae:
"Valus Ta'aurc has finally been defeated and the Cabal command dealt a great blow. But in the Darkness rising, more fleets will come and new leaders will rise. We must be prepared to face them all."

etc...

Like, seriously. How much of a bummer is that?

Well I am at work still and was trying to gauge interest. I guess I can practice either with my hunter/Titan soloing the lamps. Hmmm

Thanks irro

Ah ok I see.

Soloing lamps is not necessary but we had someone who could do it reliably which meant the rest of us could just sit and wait until the bridge section....boring but minimised risk/wipes.

My flawless run was the first time I had done the bridge the legit way! :p

Once we were all across we camped the back right corner (as you look across when you start the level) kept out of sight of the wizards and focussed on the ogres.

Thrall room - I think we had someone go in, pop the shrieker and back out into a titan bubble, then we did the same for the second one....not sure if they re-spawn? Don't think they can have done.

Deathsinger - the hardest part IMHO, just because you're trying to take her down whilst knights are flying about. There is time to take them out a bit and create some space to minimise the risk.

Crota - if you have a good swordbearer this is probably one of the least risky bits....APART from lag glitches with Crota himself, if he stands too early or randomly gives chase.

Ophelion

The Nexus:
"One tendril of the Vex surge has been severed. But their presence here still grows in other dark places far out of our reach. We must continue to understand their power and haunt the realms where they gather.

Has anyone else noticed that NPC's in this universe use the word "Haunt" in a really strange way? In the new Monarchy kill enemies bounty, the dude says, "Whatever haunts us, we should haunt twice as hard."

At first I thought he was just mispronouncing "hunt", but having heard it ten billion times by now, I'm 98% sure that he's saying "haunt". Is this some kind of gallows joke about how all Guardians are technically dead people?

Klyka

Banned
Just had a great run for Crota HM where I actually did well as the swordbearer for once AND I got the Crux of Crota as my reward!

Thanks for the run guys!

Karl2177

Oh, that is so clingy! It's like they got dumped by a hot person and then started making little effigy dolls of them to leave in places where they used to do things together. Traveler doesn't love you anymore, Fallen! He's our boyfriend now!
The "good work" line is even funnier when you're cheesing the boss.

phen0m24

Ah ok I see.

Soloing lamps is not necessary but we had someone who could do it reliably which meant the rest of us could just sit and wait until the bridge section....boring but minimised risk/wipes.

My flawless run was the first time I had done the bridge the legit way! :p

Once we were all across we camped the back right corner (as you look across when you start the level) kept out of sight of the wizards and focussed on the ogres.

Thrall room - I think we had someone go in, pop the shrieker and back out into a titan bubble, then we did the same for the second one....not sure if they re-spawn? Don't think they can have done.

Deathsinger - the hardest part IMHO, just because you're trying to take her down whilst knights are flying about. There is time to take them out a bit and create some space to minimise the risk.

Crota - if you have a good swordbearer this is probably one of the least risky bits....APART from lag glitches with Crota himself, if he stands too early or randomly gives chase.

Sounds good. I see some XB1 max gamerscore guardians in the list, maybe we can recruit some of you all. We have half a fireteam now with true Vaal and I. :)

Spoo

Just had a great run for Crota HM where I actually did well as the swordbearer for once AND I got the Crux of Crota as my reward!

Thanks for the run guys!

No problem. It's always an interesting experience when Crota doesn't play nice lol

Let's see how Debbie Downer we can get here.

Devil's Lair:
"Sepiks Prime cast a great shadow over our City. With its destruction, the Fallen Devils will grow weaker. But we must stay vigilant. The Fallen are crafty. They'll find ways to survive. They always do"

Summoning Pits:
"A creature of the Dark has been slain, and our worlds spared another atrocity. But how many more Hive abominations are still out there? Growing among the Darkness? I fear we may find out all too soon."

The Nexus:

Cerberus Vae:
"Valus Ta'aurc has finally been defeated and the Cabal command dealt a great blow. But in the Darkness rising, more fleets will come and new leaders will rise. We must be prepared to face them all."

etc...

Like, seriously. How much of a bummer is that?
Aka life sucks in last city era.

Hell they tell ghost stories about the Fallen to little children. Except they aren't ghost stories. 😕

Ophelion

Aka life sucks in last city era.

Hell they tell ghost stories about the Fallen to little children. Except they aren't ghost stories. ��

Yeah, these guys are positively hopeful compared to the average citizen, I bet.

We've all become a race of Marvin The Robot's. Especially the Exos.

Life. Don't get me started on life...

All hail Auto Rifles!!!!!!

five months of Thorn darkness will come to an end

As long as we do not return to the old meta of a Suros Regime headshot cluster from across the map, I am all for a return of auto rifles. I am hoping that my Shadow Price is again relevant in regular crucible modes and that I find a new auto rifle to force it back into the vault.

I'm sure that after a few months with the new meta, I will miss cheesing up the map with Thorn. The nostalgia will probably even cool off my hatred of the Last Word hip fired blasts to my face from 100 m.

I am more excited that my well rolled sniper class felwinters will be nerfed (along with all the other sniper shotties). I think those guns have gotten under my skin more than hand cannons. They created a spastic meta of blink shotgunning that, while fun to play to a degree, is ultimately a twitchy, hot mess best suited for 13 year olds (nothing against young gamers).

Rasputin is the Hero we deserve. Fuck the speaker and his big Orb of light over the city
The Vex are the hero we deserve. We need to figure out how to communicate with them and then make a coalition with them to master time and defeat the Darkness
probably that stupid big orb in the sky that the Speaker wants us to worship

Top Bottom