• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am dreading that wet fart of a plot twist.

My currently preferred plot twist: The Traveler on Earth is a decoy.

The traveller is actually one of ten and at the end of this year we have to destroy our traveller to unlock the main travellers true power

And that traveller turns out to be evil

I am dreading that wet fart of a plot twist.

My currently preferred plot twist: The Traveler on Earth is a decoy.

My money is on them scrapping that entire plot line. The traveler will just be no more and they will move on to something else. I wouldn't put it past them to be lazy enough to make a small 1-2 minute cutscene showing him blowing up or something in destiny 2 just to write it off...just like the queen and her brother!

phen0m24

hawk and drizz referred people before it was cool

also bogey and unstable

Word, man. Agreed.

Rant incoming

I just mean like Hawkian has done noobie raids for ever now - in his own time. No publicity. Not a famous streamer cursing and acting ridiculous and therefore popular. He's doing the real thing. Teaching people how to raid. People that don't have enough friends to raid with. People scared to do it. Drizzay the same including Skolas, raids, etc. I would hope that kind of freaking amazing awesomeness could get recognized. Yeah the Dattos and Goths get "attention" but only because of their subscriber totals. Hawk and Drizz do God's work.

I'm getting a sinking feeling that we may not see much more "new" Destiny content and that we'll be strung along with updated versions of Vault of Glass, Crota's End and Prison of Elders after the King's Fall challenge modes are released. Im expecting Destiny 2 to launch Fall 2016 at this point and I'm going to assume Bungie will want to save anything new and significant for Destiny 2.

Hope I'm wrong and we get at least one more new end-game PvE activity.

Part of me thinks you're right but part hopes they have more tricks up their sleeves.

Highwind

Honestly I am almost tempted to just abandon the team whenever Memento appears. I really hate that map. I stick around anyways but fuck me.

Once you see half the team get wiped by snipers you know you're gonna have a bad time.

the traveler is a pawn

there are many travelers

our traveler disobeyed its masters by protecting humanity instead of leaving like its supposed to

traveler's boss is going to destroy it, but not before it investigates humans to see if we can also be pawns

darthbob

Rank 5 package yielded a 312 pair of boots, which is a nice upgrade over my 298s.

I'm so much happier with IB this time around!

Honestly I am almost tempted to just abandon the team whenever Memento appears. I really hate that map. I stick around anyways but fuck me.

Once you see half the team get wiped by snipers you know you're gonna have a bad time.

the key to playing on memento is to avoid the sniper lane at all costs. it's completely isolated from the rest of the map so why bother? it's much easier to control the balcony portions and is impossible to flush people camping that area unless you push with supers.

Wait. Why would you have to buy it again? If a different PSN comes into the server how would they know the physical disc needs to be re purchased? Makes no sense

It's not the disc that matters. You need to have a version of TTK linked to that account and since it's only digital, they know.

bungie really hit rock bottom with sector 619 and memento

and I thought thieves den was bad

Namikaze1

Well, I'm gonna have to do some IB alone. Need about 1500 more rep points for rank 5. Would have been rank 5 if I had gotten top overall score in the previous match. Came in second.

phen0m24

And Twilight Gap for the awesome posts ;)

The crucible lead designer should have your post history as his home page on his pc 🤔

Luke watches him stream. I'm sure they know who he is.
Also that mom was watching avengers

Now Dan and Dawn are aware of Mr. TLW ;) as well. We're working on Bungie one cool person at a time.

Thumbs up.gif

bungie really hit rock bottom with sector 619 and memento

and I thought thieves den was bad

Ya'll missed when I attempted to fix Sector a few months ago. Lemme see if i can dig up the post.

Okay, no more talking about it. Decided to try my hand at fixing Sector 618. Here's a quick blueprint I just threw together.

Filps0C.jpg

It might be a little confusing so I'll walk through it and my thought process.

First thing's first, let me talk about Sector 618 and what I feel are the problems with this map. The biggest flaw that Sector 618 has is clutter. This map is overdesigned visually and geometrically which creates a map that is both distracting to the player and discombobulated to move around.

However, underneath that mess is an attempt at a fairly simple bridge style map. The concept is honestly really cool, but Bungie was unable to capitalize on it. This is by no means an official layout, but rather an attempt at resolving its issues by redesigning the map on a fundamental level.

I should mention that I made the map inverse symmetrical, which Sector 618 is not; it is a pseudo mirror symmetric map. What I would do differently from this blueprint is add more asymmetric geometry so that the B capture zone is not literally sitting on a platform in the middle of the map. That would be bad for gameplay obviously.

FIGURE 1
  • Alpha and Bravo spawn are self explanitory. In this blueprint, they spawn on opposite corners of the map.
  • Both teams move to opposite sides to grab control of A or C. These zones are equidistant from both teams, meaning there is no clear side that one team must control.
  • B is located in the center of the map. Again, I do not think putting it literally on a platform is a good idea, because then Titans will just go there and throw bubbles on top of it. What I like about that location however is that it would requiree control of several parts of the map to contest. When the blueprint is more fleshed out, that central platform will be tethered more to a side of the map. This is also where I would put the Spark spawn in Rift.
  • Heavy Ammo is placed in a new piece of geometry - a tunnel that passes beneath the hallway.

Now let me explain my thought process behind the design of these areas.
FIGURE 2
  • 1.) This high corner ramps up towards the back of the map, giving you a high position. From here, you can contest the heavy ammo crate on your side of the map and even the middle of the map itself.
  • 2.) This is a path that ramps down to the aforementioned tunnel where heavy ammo spawns. This creates a safe spawn zone and also gives you a route that cuts into the center of the map.
  • 3.) This corner of the map is not elevated like the first one, but it has more cover for the players. You can jump from this corner to the ramp above through the back.
  • 4.) This is the lobby where each team spawns. I wanted it to be flat and open with a lot of room to dance. There will be some crates to jump on though, but they'll all be against the walls to avoid creating "ring-around-the-rosey" gameplay.
  • 5.) There is another lobby across the hallway which is slightly more closed in.
    note: This hallway may or may not have slight changes in elevation where necessary
  • 6.) This is also a new path like the tunnel. It is a route that cuts from the "base" sides of the map into the center. The way I drew it now has it to where you need to either exit the lobby and ramp up to it from the side, or jump up to it. This makes it easy to use for offense, but hard to use for defense. If I wanted to make it more defense oriented, I would switch it so that you ramp onto the platform from the inside hallway, and have to jump onto it from the outside (much like you do currently). It's also worth noting that this path lets you jump to the center platform.
  • 7.) This is another raised platform at the back of the map. It is on the same elevation as the first corner and the central platform, which lets players contest it at range. However, it is small with no cover or railings, meaning it's a risky position to hold.
  • 8.) This area is part of the bridge as we currently know it. However, I've simplified the cover down to just one large crate. It is not as high as the aforementioned platforms, but it still gives you some height to control the bridge and contest other areas of the map.
  • 9.) As I mentioned in Figure 1, this is a small ledge that leads to the Heavy Ammo tunnel.
  • 10.) And last of all is the center platform, which is currently used for nothing more than traversal in Sector 618. I wanted to give it more of an important role. I kept it simple in this blueprint, but now that I'm recognizing the B problem I think it should have several layers so that it isn't a one dimensional piece of geometry. Bungie probably felt otherwise.

Ultimately, where my philosophy differs from theirs is that I want to focus combat more on the center of the map and less on the hallways and corners. This way, players use the hallways more intelligently and make more conscious decisions when maneuvering around the map. I also want to introduce more height variation and risky jumps while simultaneously cutting down on the clutter so that those decisions aren't force fed to the player. This will create a map with a unique gameplay dynamic not currently seen in the game.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Basically, Sector would be a cool map if there was more vertical gameplay and overlapping paths. It's too flat and too noisy right now.

I could do the same for Memento, but all I'd really change on that map are the staircases, and then I'd blow out the top portion of the wall in front of the heavy ammo spawns to open up that chokepoint.

Thieves' Den is a lost cause. At most you can replicate the open side of the map in place of the fallen walker side and then triple the size of the tunnel areas by B.

Also, Drifter would be a good map with a very simple fix

Remove. The. Fucking. Tunnels.

There's a better way to segment a map to increase the player count and it's starts with a V.

See look at that beautiful TG post (that i had missed so thx for posting again).

8x4efr-jpg.gif

I would play that redesigned map of yours in a heartbeat and i think it would be quite good.

Mindlog

Word, man. Agreed.

Rant incoming

I just mean like Hawkian has done noobie raids for ever now - in his own time. No publicity. Not a famous streamer cursing and acting ridiculous and therefore popular. He's doing the real thing. Teaching people how to raid. People that don't have enough friends to raid with. People scared to do it. Drizzay the same including Skolas, raids, etc. I would hope that kind of freaking amazing awesomeness could get recognized. Yeah the Dattos and Goths get "attention" but only because of their subscriber totals. Hawk and Drizz do God's work.
tPJgE.png

Ruffles with the checkpoint madness.
Rawr with the constant can-help attitude.
Lots of fine folk on GAF :]

Lnkn52

I'm with Xplicitone on this as I've bought wayyyyyyyyy too many copies of this game and season passes and everything. Not buying it again.

And Luke, if you're reading this if Hawkian and Drizzay don't get this stuff by default by doing countless countless countless noobie sherpa runs, then something is broken.

I still have doubts that somehow the console knows the physical copy of TTK CE is mine and not the newly activated psn id I would make in order to do this though. I'm with Trakan here.
You guys should be reporting them for good behavior.

Pretty sure that system earns them some sort of karma points.

pulse rifles only run rampant on maps with excessive amounts of long open sightlines and flat geometry.

think i'm going to fix memento sometime this week too.

Do folks still feel like pulse rifles are overextending their range? I pwn any pulse rifle user with my jade rabbit from a distance. Actually, if it werent for jade rabbit i wouldnt have clocked these 40 hours of pvp this week. Such a great weapon to shoot. If i pull my game history of this week i think there are very few games that my kd was bellow 2.0. And folks are saying that only pulse rifles are viable...

Edit: actually the answer to that first question is likely yes but not to the degree some make it seem like.

Azerare

pulse rifles only run rampant on maps with excessive amounts of long open sightlines and flat geometry.

think i'm going to fix memento sometime this week too.
Without the tunnels in drifter, everything is open (the remaining portion), thus allowing pulse bs lol.

But I feel all the current maps feels will change with December weapon update.

OkayRene

I'm totally out of the loop here. Did they expand the Iron Banner loot table so you can get loot outside of what Lord Saladin is selling? Is that new?

maomaoIYP

How is the Jade Rabbit compared to Tlaloc? I see a lot of love for it online, I may have sharded mine too hastily...

JR is a slow firing, super long range, hits like a truck, scout rifle. Can easily three shot someone from across the map.
Tlaloc is the exact opposite, but hits very hard for its archetype once your super bar is filled.
They both have their uses if you're a scout user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom