• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

This whole RAF debacle seems to have backfired, but really it's just a few pointless cosmetics. Why do people feel
ENTITLED LOL
that they need/deserve them? While the Sparrow is pretty cool and I hope something like that is attainable in a different fashion in the future, RAF is just a non-issue IMO.

Every single thing we do in this game is without meaning, and is easily deemed worthless (from a progression standpoint) with every new expansion. VOG Gear, Crota Gear, POE gear. The only thing left that is even remotely tangible are cosmetics (sparrow, shader, nameplate), since that follows you everywhere. That's a big reason people were mad about class items impacting LL. I personally won't be creating an alt account to get this stuff, but I understand why people are and why people are mad.

In a loot driven game that requires a large time-investment, when you break everything away cosmetics are really the only items that do matter.

darthbob

Every single thing we do in this game is without meaning, and is easily deemed worthless (from a progression standpoint) with every new expansion. VOG Gear, Crota Gear, POE gear. The only thing left that is even remotely tangible are cosmetics (sparrow, shader, nameplate), since that follows you everywhere. That's a big reason people were made about class items impacting LL. I personally won't be creating an alt account to get this stuff, but I understand why people are and why people are mad.

In a loot driven game that requires a large time-investment, when you break everything away cosmetics are really the only items that do matter.

I suppose I never really thought about it that way, but it does make sense.

Still salty that I can't wear old class items w/o negatively affecting my ability to kill aliens. :/

edukate

am i the only one that feels ultras and high lvl enemies in general should guarantee legendary drops? i'm not asking for >310 gear here but just like wherein Diablo 3 high lvl enemies would drop a shitload of loot i feel like bungie should follow suit here as well...

Poorly implemented, or poorly thought out can still be called lazy if you are too lazy to type either out.

Simply using the term lazy or lazy devs causes a lot of people to ignore the details.

There are similar pieces of popular lingo that does something similar. One I saw on Reddit yesterday was "Slap in the face"

I don't care what your arguement is, if you call anything a literal slap in the face, I'm no longer paying attention. Same goes for Lazy devs.

Lazy devs is interesting to me, because honestly, it's usually a Lazy forumer that's too lazy to articulate their argument.

There is plenty to say about the issue with the RAF. If you can't even be bothered to express your actual issues with it, don't bother to contribute.

Trakan

Simply using the term lazy or lazy devs causes a lot of people to ignore the details.

There are similar pieces of popular lingo that does something similar. One I saw on Reddit yesterday was "Slap in the face"

I don't care what your arguement is, if you call anything a literal slap in the face, I'm no longer paying attention. Same goes for Lazy devs.

Lazy devs is interesting to me, because honestly, it's usually a Lazy forumer that's too lazy to articulate their argument.

There is plenty to say about the issue with the RAF. If you can't even be bothered to express your actual issues with it, don't bother to contribute.

Bungie IS lazy. Destiny's content releases have been the definition of lazy. Weapons, enemies, armor, missions, areas, are all recycled and reskinned ad nauseam. It's a completely valid complaint.

Every single thing we do in this game is without meaning, and is easily deemed worthless (from a progression standpoint) with every new expansion. VOG Gear, Crota Gear, POE gear. The only thing left that is even remotely tangible are cosmetics (sparrow, shader, nameplate), since that follows you everywhere. That's a big reason people were mad about class items impacting LL. I personally won't be creating an alt account to get this stuff, but I understand why people are and why people are mad.

I totally agreed with your first post but I would amend this one slightly. IMHO having a vault full of "stuff" can matter too. I like having copies of VoG/Crota/PoE guns and bits of armour as it's a reminder of all the trials and tribulations I went through to get it.

I guess it depends on whether people attach their memories of playing to the gear they got...or the cosmetics they got?

Edit - obviously cosmetics can be used and equipped whenever you want, and displayed to others...whereas the gear stays in the vault or is brought out for demo purposes.

Contradicting myself slightly - old gear can remain important - a few of us did a VoG run recently and we were struggling with the oracles at Aetheon - quick switch to VoC's and we did it no bother.

Ji66a-Man

I hate playing as a warlock, but it consistently gets the best loot. Kept the 319 helmet, used the rest for infusion.
DOnz4ql.jpg

E92 M3

Bungie IS lazy. Destiny's content releases have been the definition of lazy. Weapons, enemies, armor, missions, areas, are all recycled and reskinned ad nauseam. It's a completely valid complaint.

I think it's less them being lazy and more the fact that their engine makes it very difficult to make changes in a timely manner.

Created a sub-account (MacelloJr) but when I try to use my friend's referral link, it says "You do not have a Destiny account linked to this platform. If you have a Destiny account, please link the platform to your profile in your Settings Page" even though I have and the character is already level 32.

Created a sub-account (MacelloJr) but when I try to use my friend's referral link, it says "You do not have a Destiny account linked to this platform. If you have a Destiny account, please link the platform to your profile in your Settings Page" even though I have and the character is already level 32.

Does it own a separate copy of the game? I assume their system checks this somewhere (either at Bungie's end or Xbox/PSN end).

flkraven

While I understand your sentiment, I think calling them lazy is somewhat misunderstanding them. I actually just feel like all these releases are a consequence of Bungie being under-prepared for supporting a big game like Destiny. Releasing an MMO-like game was new for them, and they had no idea how to prepare in order to support the game regularly. It seems more like a lack of foresight and poor planning rather than just sheer laziness.

They knew they needed to get content out in order to support their MMO-style shooter, but only gave themselves weeks to do it. It's like a college student who waits until the night of the exam to study. He definitely isn't lazy if he is staying up until 6 am cramming. When you see that guns are largely reskins and you hear about the Crota raid being thrown together in a few weeks, you really get the feeling that they were constantly cramming. TTK is a great example that, if given a little more time, they can come up with some great things.

I highly disagree with this statement.

They have problems with inner communication between departments mostly. Marketing/PR seem to have little idea what's actually going on with dev and production. Which is where like 90% of our issues with Bungie comes from.

The reskinned content thing especially makes me laugh. This practice has been going on since the beginning of gaming. Taking a sprite, recoloring it, and maybe changing up how it plays in the game world. Are Pac-Man's ghosts lazy? Are the numerous palettte-swap creatures of every final fantasy game lazy?

What about games that reuse an engine? Is that lazy? Is it lazy that Uncharted 2 uses the same engine as Uncharted 1? I mean, rather than create something new, they just copy/pasted stuff over from the first game.

I think I've made my point.

Lnkn52

No it does not. I am trying to see if people have figured out a workaround for this. Nami?

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13962
Q: Why am I being asked to purchase the game if I’ve already played Destiny: The Taken King?
A: Bungie does not support console sharing features. Players must own Destiny: The Taken King under their personal PlayStation Network/Xbox Live account in order to qualify for Referee status in the Refer-a-Friend program.

You're going to have to buy TTK again.

StMeph

Has no one played any other MMO before? MMOs have RAF programs... and they're exactly like Destiny's. Also just like Destiny, they weren't put in at launch. And were never retroactive.

Using sherpa in teasers describing the program before its launch was a huge mistake, though. That's totally on Bungie.

Edit: Their biggest mistake was creating the wrong expectation by misusing terms, but the RAF program at that point had basically been decided. The run-up describing the program pretty much fueled all of the current hate. If they had been clearer about what it actually is and used better language, there would probably still be some people upset that they're still unable to get the rewards, but it wouldn't be nearly so extensive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You did awesome. And you can see that HM isn't really that hard. Oryx is really the pain in the butt but other than that, it's smooth sailing.
Enjoyed joining you guys at the end. We actually did really well there right at first. But it's tough when it gets to be so late. Fatigue sets in. For real tho Hawkian, like Lnkn said, you were totally on point. Well done.
Thanks a bunch you guys :) While most of the Normal->Hard mode changes are a total joke, ultimately I actually enjoyed having a pretty new and different strategy at Oryx to play with.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go for the kill tonight or tomorrow night after the foods times...

FYI anyone watching for newbie raid info, this week's will be a VoG on Saturday, the 28th at 3:00 Eastern.

flkraven

I posted on Monday that it doesn't work. You need to repurchase TTK on the sub/alt account for it to work according to the FAQ.

Fake edit: Lnkn got the quote

What if someone has a physical vanilla destiny copy but the DLC is obviously tied to the main account?

Has no one played any other MMO before? MMOs have RAF programs... and they're exactly like Destiny's. Also just like Destiny, they weren't put in at launch. And were never retroactive.

Using sherpa in teasers describing the program before its launch was a huge mistake, though. That's totally on Bungie.

This is more what people are made about.

I mean, how many of us here were happy to know that Hawkian (resident Sherpa supreme) would be getting a nice pat on the back for his hard work he's done every week for months.

It's another example of bad PR/marketing. Bungie tells us one thing, and delivers another. It's becoming their MO.

While I understand your sentiment, I think calling them lazy is somewhat misunderstanding them. I actually just feel like all these releases are a consequence of Bungie being under-prepared for supporting a big game like Destiny. Releasing an MMO-like game was new for them, and they had no idea how to prepare in order to support the game regularly. It seems more like a lack of foresight and poor planning rather than just sheer laziness.

They knew they needed to get content out in order to support their MMO-style shooter, but only gave themselves weeks to do it. It's like a college student who waits until the night of the exam to study. He definitely isn't lazy if he is staying up until 6 am cramming. When you see that guns are largely reskins and you hear about the Crota raid being thrown together in a few weeks, you really get the feeling that they were constantly cramming. TTK is a great example that, if given a little more time, they can come up with some great things.

Then they should have priced it appropriately. The first two expansions were rip offs. If anything, those two expansions were so light and recycled and poor on content that it made TTK look like it was better than it was. TTK itself in all honesty is barely worth the price. It almost isn't. I expected HoW and TDB to have the amount of content TTK had. Instead we got cut content. Or what feels like cut second tier content stitched back together and sold back to us.

phen0m24

Thanks a bunch you guys :) While most of the Normal->Hard mode changes are a total joke, ultimately I actually enjoyed having a pretty new and different strategy at Oryx to play with.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go for the kill tonight or tomorrow night after the foods times...

FYI anyone watching for newbie raid info, this week's will be a VoG on Saturday, the 28th at 3:00 Eastern.

tonight I can, tomorrow is Black Friday stay online all night-a-thon

Lnkn52

No problemo. Raid loot still boggles my mind. It's really stingy.

Trakan

They have problems with inner communication between departments mostly. Marketing/PR seem to have little idea what's actually going on with dev and production. Which is where like 90% of our issues with Bungie comes from.

The reskinned content thing especially makes me laugh. This practice has been going on since the beginning of gaming. Taking a sprite, recoloring it, and maybe changing up how it plays in the game world. Are Pac-Man's ghosts lazy? Are the numerous palettte-swap creatures of every final fantasy game lazy?

What about games that reuse an engine? Is that lazy? Is it lazy that Uncharted 2 uses the same engine as Uncharted 1? I mean, rather than create something new, they just copy/pasted stuff over from the first game.

I'm not going to entertain the idea that you know what's going on with communication between departments at Bungie.

You haven't made your point as that's a terrible comparison. Uncharted 2 doesn't have you going backwards through Uncharted 1's levels. If it did, do you really think that would be considered acceptable? Do you remember a few years back when everyone was up in arms about Infinity Ward re-using a SINGLE BUILDING from COD4 in Ghosts? It happens constantly in Destiny.

Bungie has proven they can add some new things to the game. There are new Vanguard armor sets with each expansion. There are some new weapon models. There is the occasional actually new enemy model like Oryx. They just choose to make a few and reskin the rest, which IMO is super lazy.

recks

No it does not. I am trying to see if people have figured out a workaround for this. Nami?
Pretty sure you don't need to repurchase Destiny for it to work, just have your main account (the one with the dlc) activate your PS4 as primary. Bitsu was doing the quest yesterday and he didn't repurchased the game.

HMD

I expected HoW and TDB to have the amount of content TTK had. Instead we got cut content. Or what feels like cut second tier content stitched back together and sold back to us.

TDB was a joke, and HoW would' have been a disaster if it wasn't for ToO and reforging.

LTWood12

I might be able to help out tonight. Just let me know. Given the light level/gear of the group, Kill everything strategy is absolutely the better way to go. There's a lot more room for error, and it's not the end of the world if you lose a bomb or two to Knights people missed. But everyone has a job to do and has to be on point.

When I came in and you guys said you hadn't even made it to the shade yet, I figured fatigue was a big issue so I suggested No Knights (Knowing that it would make it incredibly difficult for you, especially given your light level). Lo and behold it worked a bit better in the beginning, but as time went on you begin to see the vulnerabilities of that strategy.

Namikaze1

Pretty sure you don't need to repurchase Destiny for it to work, just have your main account (the one with the dlc) activate your PS4 as primary. Bitsu was doing the quest yesterday and he didn't repurchased the game.
You need to repurchase TTK (just TTK). Trust me. I know cause I tried doing the alt way. It states it even in the FAQ.

I'm not going to entertain the idea that you know what's going on with communication between departments at Bungie.

You haven't made your point as that's a terrible comparison. Uncharted 2 doesn't have you going backwards through Uncharted 1's levels. If it did, do you really think that would be considered acceptable? Do you remember a few years back when everyone was up in arms about Infinity Ward re-using a SINGLE BUILDING from COD4 in Ghosts? It happens constantly in Destiny.

Bungie has proven they can add some new things to the game. There are new Vanguard armor sets with each expansion. There are some new weapon models. There is the occasional actually new enemy model like Oryx. They just choose to make a few and reskin the rest, which IMO is super lazy.

You don't need to entertain the idea. There is plenty of evidence of Deej telling us one thing, and us getting another. The back of the box even has misleading information on it.

I also specified the engine of Uncharted, not the levels, so you've missed the point and thus the discussion.

Then they should have priced it appropriately. The first two expansions were rip offs. If anything, those two expansions were so light and recycled and poor on content that it made TTK look like it was better than it was. TTK itself in all honesty is barely worth the price. It almost isn't. I expected HoW and TDB to have the amount of content TTK had. Instead we got cut content. Or what feels like cut second tier content stitched back together and sold back to us.

Definitely disagree with this.

TTK is pretty comparable to ODST for me, as far as adding content to the original game. A new story campaign. New game modes, with tones of new maps. And at a $40 price tag.

Lnkn52

I might be able to help out tonight. Just let me know. Given the light level/gear of the group, Kill everything strategy is absolutely the better way to go. There's a lot more room for error, and it's not the end of the world if you lose a bomb or two to Knights people missed. But everyone has a job to do and has to be on point.

When I came in and you guys said you hadn't even made it to the shade yet, I figured fatigue was a big issue so I suggested No Knights (Knowing that it would make it incredibly difficult for you, especially given your light level). Lo and behold it worked a bit better in the beginning, but as time went on you begin to see the vulnerabilities of that strategy.

On the Kill all Knight Strat, do the Floaters have to be in the center or can they be on the platforms?

I felt on the platforms I had better angle of all the Ogres. Too much nonsense geometry below for me.

GutZ31

I fully agree with this.

There is plenty in the game that I would call lazy, like the reskins(sometimes not even reskined) of weapons and armor.
That is something I have a problem with, and calling it anything but lazy makes me question what else it should be called.

The Refer a Friend stuff is poorly thought out for the simple fact that most people that play, or have ever played already recruited their friends ages ago.
If this was truly for Sherpas, it would have a much wider appeal, and opening of entry.
In its current form, it is clearly meant to use the user base as a way to entice others to either return to pay $40-60, find people that they haven't suckered into buying the game for $60, or buy the game again ourselves to give away to a friend for $60.

It all looks like it's meant for feeding activision.

StMeph

Uncharted 2 doesn't have you going backwards through Uncharted 1's levels. If it did, do you really think that would be considered acceptable? Do you remember a few years back when everyone was up in arms about Infinity Ward re-using a SINGLE BUILDING from COD4 in Ghosts? It happens constantly in Destiny.

Dragon Age 2 thread hijack.

I fully agree with this.

There is plenty in the game that I would call lazy, like the reskins(sometimes not even reskined) of weapons and armor.
That is something I have a problem with, and calling it anything but lazy makes me question what else it should be called.

The Refer a Friend stuff is poorly thought out for the simple fact that most people that play, or have ever played already recruited their friends ages ago.
If this was truly for Sherpas, it would have a much wider appeal, and opening of entry.
In its current form, it is clearly meant to use the user base as a way to entice others to either return to pay $40-60, find people that they haven't suckered into buying the game for $60, or buy the game again ourselves to give away to a friend for $60.

It all looks like it's meant for feeding activision.

100% agree with this.

Namikaze1

In Dragon Age 2's defense, they had what a year or so for development. The fault lies on EA and not Bioware on that particular case.

WipedOut

This is more what people are made about.

I mean, how many of us here were happy to know that Hawkian (resident Sherpa supreme) would be getting a nice pat on the back for his hard work he's done every week for months.

It's another example of bad PR/marketing. Bungie tells us one thing, and delivers another. It's becoming their MO.

This content shouldn't be tied behind having to buy TTK to get. That part needs to be taken out. If we get people to play the game and sherpa them through this quest then that is what it should have been. Not some stupid marketing scheme to get more people to buy their game. Bottom line is they want people to play their game, this could have been a great way to get us, the 1% to sherpa people like Hawkian does.

Never heard of this CoD building thing. However, in a game with massive amounts of geography, reusing playspace in new ways makes perfect sense to me. People seem to forget that these are huge vertically layed playspaces. When you are above seraphims vault, you are literally above. In the physical sense of the world.

Reusing character models is smart and efficient. I don't have a problem with that. I don't mind weapon reskins either as long as the new skin looks cool.

Trakan

I also specified the engine of Uncharted, not the levels, so you've missed the point and thus the discussion.

I'm using examples of what Destiny does repeatedly with each piece of new content and applying it to other games. It doesn't look so forgivable then, does it?

The difference is that pacman and Final Fantasy never sold you palette swapped enemies and locations.
And Uncharted 2 doesn't use a single texture and few animations from Uncharted 1 except for optional costume changes, which are just an Easter egg.
Game engines in general can go a long way and be modified to barely resemble themselves. Destiny all looks and plays the fucking same. If TDB and HoW missions didn't have an icon indicating they were from that particular expansion on the map I wouldn't be able to tell they weren't from the original game. There's a new raid and an arena. That's it and they both sucked. They used the exact same locations and as fun as it is to talk reskins and palette swaps, most enemies from those expansions arent even that. They're the same enemies from the base game. Those expansions are low on even reskins.
If they want to be lazy that's fine as long as they price it right, but they didn't.

I've been playing The Taken King on the sub-account with no problem, it's the referral link that I'm having problems with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
tonight I can, tomorrow is Black Friday stay online all night-a-thon
Hmm okay cool. I think I will look for people around 9 eastern.
No problemo. Raid loot still boggles my mind. It's really stingy.
Yes, it's deeply bad. With the new reward schedule gamewide, all of Destiny's raids really need a token system that lets you work toward endgame gear piecemeal. If that existed as guaranteed checkpoint rewards, the incredibly stingy and random loot from the hardest PvE content would make much more sense.
I had very low expectations because of all the salt and I got a special weapon and chest upgrade, so I feel it could have been worse for my first time,

Little things that are never a big deal in the original strategy are wipe-causing with the no knights strategy. But yeah, I mean, every prior to your joining there had been a couple of attempts that ended with deaths during the bombardment phrase just due to fatigue and the higher pressure during those segments (definitely showed me how complacent I had become during that section on Normal since it's so low-stakes with revives).

The difference is that pacman and Final Fantasy never sold you palette swapped enemies and locations.
And Uncharted 2 doesn't use a single texture and few animations from Uncharted 1 except for optional costume changes, which are just an Easter egg.
Game engines in general can go a long way and be modified to barely resemble themselves. Destiny all looks and plays the fucking same. If TDB and HoW missions didn't have an icon indicating they were from that particular expansion on the map I wouldn't be able to tell they weren't from the original game. There's a new raid and an arena. That's it and they both sucked. They used the exact same locations and as fun as it is to talk reskins and palette swaps, most enemies from those expansions arent even that. They're the same enemies from the base game. Those expansions are low on even reskins.
If they want to be lazy that's fine as long as they price it right, but they didn't.

Sure they did.

It was called Ms. Pac-man and Final Fantasy II (not to be confused with Final Fantasy IV).

On the Kill all Knight Strat, do the Floaters have to be in the center or can they be on the platforms?

I felt on the platforms I had better angle of all the Ogres. Too much nonsense geometry below for me.

Either way is fine, it's a group preference thing. In the two groups I played with yesterday one had floaters in centre, the other had them on platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom