• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

kionedrik

A ranked-like AP mode in unranked would drag every game to a 50-60min time investment including queueing, picking, playing.

Why?

Queuing - same time (+/- 5 min);
Picking - 30s max * 10 players (max 5 min) instead of 1 minute -> 4 minutes increase that can probably be thought as a normal distribution with ~2 minutes average value;
Playing - same time (somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes);

The picking phase lasting longer is a non-factor in the overall distribution of time spent in the game. You know each game will be a 30-60 minutes commitment so there's no point in complaining if the pick phase lasts a couple minutes more.

Why?

Queuing - same time (+/- 5 min);
Picking - 30s max * 10 players (max 5 min) instead of 1 minute;
Playing - same time (somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes);

The picking time is five-folded. That is unreasonable for me especially since Dota as it is would be too much of a time sink for me at the moment and that is not changing anytime soon. 4 minutes more for any game you play is not as negligible as you make out to be. I never play ranked or CM for similar (as well as other) reasons. Some people are short on time and extending the time commitment by anywhere from 5-10% is relevant to me particularly because Dota soaks up a lot anyways.

No thanks and I'm glad the community as well as Valve came to the same conclusion. Play other modes if you are unhappy with unranked AP. It's that simple really.

To add to this I don't think I've ever heard that phrase in this country so I don't know what the hell Tobi's on about.

He did. The post is difficult to find but apparently it was a small apology followed by a lot of passing the blame onto Sing.

I wasnt playing/following dota back thrn. What does sing have to do with it?

shira

9Hzo93m.jpg

Uninstall Dota

surprise.gif

facepalm.gif

Wok

It was an interesting spin on the story to say the least

i don't really care about spectre and invoker tbh, i care more about how people just disregard others picks and excuse themselves with that they locked it in without looking at what we have
it's like i'm forced to be a support since there seems to be very few people that wants to play it

it really feels like if I don't pick support there's a 50% chance there won't be any :/

Playing support requires too much thinking. It is like you are asking others to play chess instead of watching a TV show: I want to pew pew pew, and I don't want to think several turns in advance.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You couldn't convince me that N0tail couldn't get an apartment on all them Hitbox dollars, what does he need his actual salary for? Dude's just a whiner tbh.

Wok

You couldn't convince me that N0tail couldn't get an apartment on all them Hitbox dollars, what does he need his actual salary for? Dude's just a whiner tbh.

He has already spent all of the money on drugs and hookers, so the dealers want the money now.

I don't get how it's so hard for some people to just not spout racist nonsense. Even if you are an actual piece of shit bigot and not just spouting nonsense to try to get a rise out of people, is it really so hard to put a filter on that bullshit when you're presenting yourself as a public figurehead within a community? I agree there needs to be a zero tolerance policy for that kind of shit the same way there should be a zero tolerance policy for basically licking your own taint live on the internet like Zyori. Both of those guys should not be allowed to associate with the Dota scene in any way. Imagine if a higher up in a corporation or an elected politician did that type of thing? They'd be forcefully removed from their position. Embarrassing.
Word.

aeolist

Banned
Did Tobi ever apologize for that? Some of the Dota personalities are a disgrace to the game and I am shocked people are this forgiving.

given the kind of shit you see on every major stream when it comes to twitch chat and racist garbage in donation messages i think it's weird that you're shocked.

the dota scene is mostly white americans, white europeans, and chinese players. nobody gives a fuck if you hate on minorities who aren't there, the only time you'd see blowback is if it was white on asian bigotry or the reverse.

Reminds me of this morning when I thought how white (and asian too I guess) the dota community is, players and casters
Compared to smash and street fighter for instance, the difference is huge

the dota scene is mostly white americans, white europeans, and chinese players. nobody gives a fuck if you hate on minorities who aren't there, the only time you'd see blowback is if it was white on asian bigotry or the reverse.

even white on asian stuff is tolerated/joked about/laughed at by the community and casters; the "two merlinis???" thing was around for a while and popped during tournament casts

the community is basically a bunch of thackers who don't see themselves that way

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Being in the Overwatch beta is actually killing me. I want to play it nonstop but I know this progression is getting wiped and I don't want to deflate my boner for it before it actually launches. Why did Blizzard do this to me?
given the kind of shit you see on every major stream when it comes to twitch chat and racist garbage in donation messages i think it's weird that you're shocked.

This is so true and really sad. This is the biggest thing that pisses me off about Bulldog's stream is when he plays along with and perpetuates all the racist and sexist bullshit in his chat and donation messages. I know if any streamer ever pushed back against that shit it could spell the doom of their livelihood, so to a degree I get it, but someone somewhere needs to start developing a line against this trash.

LiQuid!

Reminds me of this morning when I thought how white (and asian too I guess) the dota community is, players and casters
Compared to smash and street fighter for instance, the difference is huge

Dota needs a Mike Ross. WHO CAN BE OUR MIKE ROSS?

Acinixys

I can play my legally bought copies of Bioshock (Win 10 doesnt support SecureROM)or Bulletstorm (Requires an Xbox account)

Fuck you video games

This is why piracy is so rampant
rage.gif

I can play my legally bought copies of Bioshock (Win 10 doesnt support SecureROM)or Bulletstorm (Requires an Xbox account)

Fuck you video games

This is why piracy is so rampant
rage.gif
Can't*
Fuck gfwl seriously, what an insane POS

Btw any idea when the next steam sales would be ? Kinda want to get ds2 + dlc but it's hella expensive for its age

LiQuid!

I mean isn't Mike Ross the Mike Ross of Dota

He could be. I'd love nothing more than that. But Mike Ross is too busy being the Mike Ross of Street Fighter. No, we need to find a new Mike Ross. We need to clone Mike Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom