• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You know what's actually dope? My cranberry yield. It literally prints money!

Also got a mean pumpkin patch growing. Turns out my emo waifu loves pumpkins and her birthday's in a couple days!
blush.gif

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
No idea what to do with enchant offlane other than be annoying. Feels like if I don't shotcall in my games my team will sit around, farm and just wait for something to happen for 30+ minutes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know what's actually dope? My cranberry yield. It literally prints money!

Also got a mean pumpkin patch growing. Turns out my emo waifu loves pumpkins and her birthday's in a couple days!
blush.gif

I feel the waifu choices are seriously lacking. I mean, do you see how much better the husbandos are? They are all dream boats
mayatomr_romance.gif

Splatoon, Smash For, and Mario Kart 8 have kept up a consistent player population.

To be fair, those are all made by Nintendo. Plus, they are good games, I'm not sold on the Division actually being good yet.

JambiBum

Division is pretty good as it is right now. Plus they've already given out a content roadmap for the rest of the year. Whether or not that content will be good enough to keep people coming back is another thing though. If it's good enough then it can have some long legs.

With Shugga on this, what happens once you hit max level? Is the Dark Zone going to be good enough? How fast do you max? How good are the drops? etc. I think waiting a month or two might be the way to go with that game.

To be fair, those are all made by Nintendo. Plus, they are good games, I'm not sold on the Division actually being good yet.

It has more to do with the fact that Wii U owners don't really have much to play in terms of multiplayer games so they just continue to play the few above average games they have access to. The Division is trying to tap into the Destiny crowd, and probably will fail.

It's a funny comparison especially since you quote 3 solid MP games (smash, kart and splatoon) when other systems have CoD + destiny

edit : uh yeah they do, nintendo consoles are pretty much the only ones with consistent couch multiplayer nowadays
The online isn't crazy good but it's serviceable

kionedrik

Do people buy Nintendo stuff for the multiplayer component? I always saw them as single-player experience providers (and good ones at that).

The Division will fail because:
- Lack of end-game content
- Ubisoft will not resist the microtransaction temptation and people are, finally, opening their eyes to this practice.

Do people buy Nintendo stuff for the multiplayer component? I always saw them as single-player experience providers (and good ones at that).

Isn't that Nintendo's huge push? I thought most of their games that had online multiplayer also had split-screen--something that is dying out on other platforms honestly. While Nintendo's single player affairs have done very well, they have a lot of multiplayer series' that regularly make them boatloads of money; Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, uhhhh that's about it actually. Those 3 series alone have sold ~190m units.

The Division will fail because:
- Lack of end-game content
- Ubisoft will not resist the microtransaction temptation and people are, finally, opening their eyes to this practice.

Most likely. The Nintendo games tend to be successes because they are smaller more easily repeated experiences. With something like The Division or Destiny, they put an emphasis on getting to max level and doing these difficult encounters, but once you've done that there really isn't much variation within the gameplay. I think something like LoL or DotA is a better comparison in terms of gameplay experience to most Nintendo titles--you can pick them up and play a single match\game whenever you want. Yea, you can get better, but it's not a requirement, and you have no real milestones you have to pass to get to additional content.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I feel the waifu choices are seriously lacking. I mean, do you see how much better the husbandos are? They are all dream boats
mayatomr_romance.gif

What choices? If you aren't courting Abigail you're fucking up.

JambiBum

With Shugga on this, what happens once you hit max level? Is the Dark Zone going to be good enough? How fast do you max? How good are the drops? etc. I think waiting a month or two might be the way to go with that game.

Once you hit max level there are raids and you can run the story missions on the hardest difficulty if you wish for better items. There's currently only one raid (think Destiny starting with Vault of Glass since that's kind of the most apt comparison) and they are adding another one plus more end game content in the first big update.

The Dark Zone also becomes one big instance instead of being separated by level gates like it is until you hit max level. Levels 1-14 are instanced together for example. So far drops are good enough that you should be getting some sort of upgrade at every encounter. Mind you that doesn't necessarily mean it's a weapon, it could be a piece of gear or mod or whatever else, but you'll still be getting upgrades when you feel like you should.

Whether or not the current game is enough for other people is up to them. For me and the people I'm playing with it's been a pretty good time so far. Hopefully they don't drop the ball with content updates and it has good legs. If not then I'll just enjoy my time with it and eventually go back to dota like I do after most games.

LiQuid!

Division looks kinda shallow to me. The kind of game I would be excited to pay $20 for a year or two after its release but by then nobody would care about it. There's definitely room in my life for a third-person, loot-shooter RPG with an emphasis on fashion tho. Someone should start working on one of those with a better aesthetic.

I see another imp the dimp thread deservedly backfired

rofl the reactions were entirely predictable as with most of my threads. Expressing (genuine) minority opinions and spicing them up with catchy titles is the most entertaining way to fuel discussions that are rarely held. Obviously, the majority will not agree; I deliberately design my threads about topics that I'm certain most people feel differently about. About one fourth or one fifth agreed with me on my point and virtually everyone who played both games agreed that the one I favor is better. Unlike the Mass Effect thread, this turned out a success and raised some awareness of the outstanding and criminally overlooked OoE.

Mass Effect was released when Bioware had an almost flawless reputation. Some people weren't too happy about Neverwinter Nights or Jade Empire but general consensus was the dev of BG2 and KotOR could do no wrong. Oh well. I thought it was no good at the time and I was 100% certain it would age terribly but looks like I predicted that incorrectly. For a lot of people it seemed to have been the first or second Bioware game tops so that skews opinions quite a bit.

LiQuid!

OoE is the worst Castleroid (fuck "Metroidvania" tbh) on the DS tho.

OoE is the worst Castleroid (fuck "Metroidvania" tbh) on the DS tho.

I thought it was the best although a lot of people really enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow as much or more, I accept that. Portrait of Ruin was not quite as good as both though.

Official Castlevania list past SotN:

1. SotN
2. OoE
3. Aria of Sorrow
4. Dawn of Sorrow
5. Circle of the Moon
6. Portrait of Ruin
7. Harmony of Dissonance

I finished Super Castlevania IV as well but it's hard to compare. And I found CotM crazy hard for some reason.

LiQuid!

The biggest problem with OoE was it was a bunch of tiny, shitty maps instead of one big-ass, rad castle. They took the castle out of Castlevania. Who even does that? Fuck off IGA.

The Soma games are the best Castleroids.

There is a castle in OoE and the moment you enter it is magical. The game was a little hard for most people though. Probably the hardest Castlevania since the series took an RPG-turn with SotN.

bounchfx

I thought it was the best although a lot of people really enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow as much or more, I accept that. Portrait of Ruin was not quite as good as both though.

Official Castlevania list past SotN:

1. SotN
2. OoE
3. Aria of Sorrow
4. Dawn of Sorrow
5. Circle of the Moon
6. Portrait of Ruin
7. Harmony of Dissonance

I finished Super Castlevania IV as well but it's hard to compare. And I found CotM crazy hard for some reason.

I want to 100% agree with this but I actually dont remember shit about circle, portrait, and harmony. I enjoyed them all, but your top 4 is spot on.

The biggest problem with OoE was it was a bunch of tiny, shitty maps instead of one big-ass, rad castle. They took the castle out of Castlevania. Who even does that? Fuck off IGA.

The Soma games are the best Castleroids.

someone didnt play OoE, or at least, not for more than 2 hours. It's worth it man.

Russ T

Banned
Guys I'm at a loss as to what Video Game I want to play next.

Please tell me what to do.

I'm wasting away as I type this.

I want to 100% agree with this but I actually dont remember shit about circle, portrait, and harmony. I enjoyed them all, but your top 4 is spot on.

someone didnt play OoE, or at least, not for more than 2 hours. It's worth it man.

Don't tell me you don't remember the card system in CotM and the arena
CotM was so fucking good. Below AoS but still.

kionedrik

Mass Effect was released when Bioware had an almost flawless reputation. Some people weren't too happy about Neverwinter Nights or Jade Empire but general consensus was the dev of BG2 and KotOR could do no wrong. Oh well. I thought it was no good at the time and I was 100% certain it would age terribly but looks like I predicted that incorrectly. For a lot of people it seemed to have been the first or second Bioware game tops so that skews opinions quite a bit.

Mass Effect was shit at the time, is shit now and will forever be shit. No sane person can ever compare it to gems like NWN or KotOR. The only half-decent they did post-KotOR was DA:O and even that is reaching and ignoring some major flaws the game had.

On topic: Any word on when we can expect a new patch?

bounchfx

Don't tell me you don't remember the card system in CotM and the arena
CotM was so fucking good. Below AoS but still.

I honestly remember loving COTM but it was sooo fucking long ago (got it at launch), that I don't remember much. I still have it though, should give it another run through. Fuckin' love igavanias.

rofl the reactions were entirely predictable as with most of my threads. Expressing (genuine) minority opinions and spicing them up with catchy titles is the most entertaining way to fuel discussions that are rarely held. Obviously, the majority will not agree; I deliberately design my threads about topics that I'm certain most people feel differently about. About one fourth or one fifth agreed with me on my point and virtually everyone who played both games agreed that the one I favor is better. Unlike the Mass Effect thread, this turned out a success and raised some awareness of the outstanding and criminally overlooked OoE.

Man, what you do (not just in your threads but everywhere) is not "expressing minority opinions and spicing them up with catchy titles" it's "expressing minority opinions as though they're self evident facts that you can't be bothered to defend". People react poorly not because they're unpopular, but because they're dogmatic and obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom