• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nere

I always wondered something about Dota. What determines how much MMR will you gain or lose? I mean sometimes you gain or lose 23-24-25-26. Why does that happen? And since the difference is so small why not just stabilize it at 25? What purpose does it serve? Anyone knows?

G.ZZZ

dignity is what i think of when i think of anime thats for sure

Hundreds of games in the last and current gen where you played a macho-man mass murderer were not only completely deprived of any dignity, but they were even scary to me as they reflected a group of people for whose apparently the only way to actually have fun was murder. The average trash anime at least seems to be more human as it reflect a desire for youth, social acceptance and lot of sex. This is comparing the bottom tiers.

In the end it's just opinions. Manga has several artistically digniful art, stories, and themes. On the other hand, you still hear people talking about the "citizen's kane" of videogame messiah which never came. Obviously VG creators have a much harder to task in front of them for multiple reasons, but as of now i think the best things VG creators have done are respectable for their gameplay first and everything else second.

cm-kiss.gif

EDIT: it's true for sure that VG improved massively in terms of dignity from the last gen, but still, i'm keeping my stance.

I always wondered something about Dota. What determines how much MMR will you gain or lose? I mean sometimes you gain or lose 23-24-25-26. Why does that happen? And since the difference is so small why not just stabilize it at 25? What purpose does it serve? Anyone knows?

it depends on the relative skill between each team. If there's a bigger discrepancy between the two team's skills, the bigger the MMR loss/gain would be.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

matchmaking algorithms wont always get an ideal match so it compensates by deviating from standard +/-25.

Seen a few pics from super high or low mmr where teams get +/-5 mmr

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For example, the matchmaking makes two teams and its algorithm gives one side 55% chance to win. Why does it do this? Well maybe this game is happening on off hours or at extreme high/low MMR. The team that was favored loses. They get -26 because they had better "odds" according to the algorithm. If they won, maybe they'd get +24 because, again, the odds were in their favor.

Essentially the matchmaker can't make a perfect 50:50 every time, maybe not even a 52:48, so it adjust the rewards accordingly.

No lies detected.

Although I think games had a slight decline in the era toward the end of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation and before the next one started.

the only decline was from japanese devs, they just weren't prepared for what came after that. 100 million usd budgets, high demand of cutting edge graphics, multiplayer becoming much more popular due to internet play.

The stigma from "casuals" on the Wii didn't help so a lot of Wii (the console where they COULD develop with lower costs) games never left japan or just didn't have any kind of marketing and lost against Just Dance and other really popular games. So they had to go to DS, which really good support and everything, didn't get much support from Western devs (idk why western devs ignore handhelds but whatever).

There's a reason why more games from japanese devs are being released on Steam/PC, a much more ignored platform by them, until now.

Final Fantasy went to shit when the HD era came. Too much budget in RD for in-house engines (Versus was delayed how many years again), more expensive to add big towns and shit to explore etc.

Multiplayer selling much more than Single player games doesn't help them.

Hylian7

the only decline was from japanese devs, they just weren't prepared for what came after that. 100 million usd budgets, high demand of cutting edge graphics, multiplayer becoming much more popular due to internet play.

The stigma from "casuals" on the Wii didn't help so a lot of Wii (the console where they COULD develop with lower costs) games never left japan or just didn't have any kind of marketing and lost against Just Dance and other really popular games. So they had to go to DS, which really good support and everything, didn't get much support from Western devs (idk why western devs ignore handhelds but whatever).

There's a reason why more games from japanese devs are being released on Steam/PC, a much more ignored platform by them, until now.

Final Fantasy went to shit when the HD era came. Too much budget in RD for in-house engines (Versus was delayed how many years again), more expensive to add big towns and shit to explore etc.

Multiplayer selling much more than Single player games doesn't help them.
Agreed, granted, things looked up later in the HD gen.

That is really bizarre that handhelds get so little support in the west. The DS was great though, and while 3DS had a rough first year, it really took off after that.

modern anime is the sort of dystopian nightmare people thought games would turn into when mobile takes over

It's a bunch of talented people shoveling shit out the door as fast and as cheaply as they can in the hopes of hooking a couple of whales who spend thousands of dollars on figurines. Doesn't care about consumers and doesn't care about advancing the medium, just keep costs low and find the most dedicated niche you can exploit.

Basically, anime is DOTA.

Russ T

Banned
seeing the hilariously incorrect and misguided claim that "anime is worse today than it used to be" is kinda sad

can't you guys come up with a better fake claim, you've had a lot of practice

seeing the hilariously incorrect and misguided claim that "anime is worse today than it used to be" is kinda sad

Is panty and stocking still going on right now? No its not which means all anime=shit

Quesa

The last anime I remember really liking was Death Note

I tried Code Geass but couldn't stand the art style.

I tried Attack on Titan but got pissed off and stopped after the thing in episode 8.

Haven't watched/read anything since.

Hylian7

Fair enough. I probably just fell out of favor with it in general.

The most recent anime I tried to watch was Devil Survivor 2 The Animation. Standard meh-quality Atlus anime. I might finish it just for the action scenes, but idk.

Jadax

May be off-topic, but does anyone know how I can gift a TI5 doom bundle (Inscribed Fires of Vashundol) to my friend? There's no option to send it as a gift via my browser (and I've uninstalled dota since I don't have time to play it currently).

yarden24

The last anime I remember really liking was Death Note

I tried Code Geass but couldn't stand the art style.

I tried Attack on Titan but got pissed off and stopped after the thing in episode 8.

Haven't watched/read anything since.

One punch man is actually amazing

May be off-topic, but does anyone know how I can gift a TI5 doom bundle (Inscribed Fires of Vashundol) to my friend? There's no option to send it as a gift via my browser (and I've uninstalled dota since I don't have time to play it currently).

You can only send gift through in game client.

Russ T

Banned
but they actually made good animes back then too

it's like saying an orange and an orange peel are the same because both have peels

and they still do!

if you liked shit back then it's impossible that you wouldn't like shit now, unless you are so delusional that you can't even admit the mere possibility

o:

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Doto avatars don't get any better than this

6413eb9c5dc22855e1748fe92d0f1ac687021100_full.jpg

Edit: couldn't help myself.

Hylian7

and they still do!

if you liked shit back then it's impossible that you wouldn't like shit now, unless you are so delusional that you can't even admit the mere possibility

o:

Some people just don't like the anime that's around these days. I'm probably one of those people, but there is definitely some stuff that I like that's still made these days.

We need another early game consumable that allows for self denials... something like a mango except you get a mana regen buff when pasive and a hundered self damage when activated. Call it the The Thorn of Somethingsomething

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom