• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
10 year since patch

I'm convinced Valve is just straight up done developing this game. We'll get 2 cursory balance patches a year just to shake up the meta, and maybe Pit Lord before the end of 2016, but that's it. Valve's done with Dota 2. They're just going to let the game coast as long as there are still people dumb enough to throw money at the new League of Legends hats and copypaste Compendiums and it'll slowly flicker out. They can only lean on the Source 2 crutch for practically halting all development for so long. I'm usually the first person to speak out on this shitty community's bloodlust for a new patch, but even I see the writing on the wall now. This game's dead as fuck.

gai_shain

I'm convinced Valve is just straight up done developing this game. We'll get 2 cursory balance patches a year just to shake up the meta, and maybe Pit Lord before the end of 2016, but that's it. Valve's done with Dota 2. They're just going to let the game coast as long as there are still people dumb enough to throw money at the new League of Legends hats and copypaste Compendiums and it'll slowly flicker out. They can only lean on the Source 2 crutch for practically halting all development for so long. I'm usually the first person to speak out on this shitty community's bloodlust for a new patch, but even I see the writing on the wall now. This game's dead as fuck.

SeemsGood.png
4Head.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
liquid is going a bit too far imo but anyone who thinks they will ever add a brand new hero, like, okay good luck.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You guys can yuk it up all you like, but just take a look at 2015. What a joke Dota has become. 2016 shows no signs of being any better. If I'm wrong clue me in. Valve's priority is on putting out these compendiums that do nothing but fucking ruin my game experience and kicking their feet up while the money rolls in. Dota 2 is the foundation they've laid to reap rewards off the most slack-assed effort imaginable.

CdzgVIBWAAA1ztQ.jpg

You guys can yuk it up all you like, but just take a look at 2015. What a joke Dota has become. 2016 shows no signs of being any better. If I'm wrong clue me in. Valve's priority is on putting out these compendiums that do nothing but fucking ruin my game experience and kicking their feet up while the money rolls in. Dota 2 is the foundation they've laid to reap rewards off the most slack-assed effort imaginable.

47f9c23616d2367b4a31a3601c284f42.jpg

Dota 2 is the foundation they've laid to reap rewards off the most slack-assed effort imaginable.

I agreed with you when you said new heroes are never gonna come, but now you're just being silly. Even at it's most halfassed, like last year, Dota gets more support than 90% of games. How many decade old games get quarterly balance overhauls or have million dollar tournaments?

This is more of a general observation than a response to Liquid but I genuinely do not get why people spend so much time hoping something fails.

Be as critical as you want, sure, but why spend so much time and energy going "I don't like thing so it should die so nobody else can like thing"?

LiQuid!

Valve are launching brand new experimental technology soon.

If you think theyre developing heroes for Dota 2 - LOL

Right? Yuk yuk, LiQuid!'s shitposting again! Get real people. If you think Valve gives any number of fucks about us you're out of your goddamned minds.

LiQuid!

I agreed with you when you said new heroes are never gonna come, but now you're just being silly. Even at it's most halfassed, like last year, Dota gets more support than 90% of games. How many decade old games get quarterly balance overhauls or have million dollar tournaments?

Yeah, the 90% that are dead and not printing money for their multi-billion dollar developer.

LiQuid!

I mean there was 6.84/85/86 in 2015
In 2013 we had 6.78/79

The same 2013 where they literally launched the game out of its beta? How many heroes did we get in 2013? I bet it was more than 2.
Well, obviously? Valve's not a charity, they're not gonna keep investing in a game out of the kindness of their hearts.

Well no kidding, but I'm saying the amount of development output they are pouring in to this game pales in comparison to the amount of money they are still reaping off its fanbase.

I mean there was 6.84/85/86 in 2015
In 2013 we had 6.78/79

Were you even around in 2013? Dota got weakly updates until they changed the concept to no-more-weekly-patches which happened at some point in 2013 if I remember correctly. We also got a new heroes with higher frequency.

6.84 and 6.85 felt virtually the same with slight meta hero swaps. I'm pretty sure we had the exact same meta for like half a year or more. Just dreadful.

edit: Those two patches lasted from April to December, jeeeeez. That sucked.

Were you even around in 2013? Dota got weakly updates until they changed the concept to no-more-weekly-patches which happened at some point in 2013 if I remember correctly. We also got a new heroes with higher frequency.

6.84 and 6.85 felt virtually the same with slight meta hero swaps. I'm pretty sure we had the exact same meta for like half a year or more. Just dreadful.

I've never understood this meme. The patches struck me as pretty distinct, but reddit just acted like alch had been good for a year instead of the actual two months or so.

gai_shain

yes ive been playing dota for quite some time now

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Patches

have fun comparing

Talking to you is utterly pointless. How many heroes did we get in 2015? Was it one or two?

edit: Actually had to look up. A whopping two. In my first year I had the pleasure of experiencing 5x the hero release frequency.

gai_shain

Just like the last discussion we had where I had actual stats to back up my claims and your argument was you watched dota for a long time and it felt that way.

And clearly there were more patches because the game wasnt on par with dota1 yet and 3/4 of those weekly patches were bugfixes

Just like the last discussion we had where I had actual stats to back up my claims and your argument was you watched dota for a long time and it felt that way.
I don't recall ever talking to you nor ever seeing your user name. I hope your perception of how you won the argument was less selective then than it is now as "actual stats" indicate that I had 10 hero releases to celebrate in my first year of Dota. It felt fairly busy.

Jezbollah

Open qualifiers for the Manilla Major starts in a month. Open qualifiers for TI6 will start very soon after that.

It either drops in the next two weeks or it doesn't drop until September.

pompidu

This game really needs some strength carry hereos. Would really liven up the game a bit.

Edit: the strength carries that we have are really bad.

LiQuid!

That was me. You were as wrong then as you are now.

This game really needs some strength carry hereos. Would really liven up the game a bit.

I feel like STR carries that actually emphasize the fact they're STR heroes would be fun. Naix doesn't feel much like a Strength hero as far as carries go.

I asked around and as it turns out quite a few STR carries feel like such.

pompidu

I feel like STR carries that actually emphasize the fact they're STR heroes would be fun. Naix doesn't feel much like a Strength hero as far as carries go.

I guess Sven does because he's hard as shit to kill.

He's not good either, infact a lot of melees without escape have really been dumpstered for a while now.

Edit: referring to naix. I think sven is OK.

They are inherently bad because of how many kiting and escaping have OSfrog added to help supports.

Needs an item that helps dealing with the kiting or them have faster catch-up mechanics.

Heroes that rely on kills like Chaos Knight are just shit. Reality Drift needs to go through fog or caster cast time, but the enemy support has glimmer escape, blink 'n' livin' or force escape

'valve don't invest much effort in dota any more'

'that's not true, there's just fewer people working on it!'

i mean...

lol there's probably like 5 stable in the team they just have to ask for help when dealing with major shit. No hierarchy, we do our own projects also our store front doesn't even have tab browsing and it is slow as fuck, but who cares. ;)))

The dota development team also had more people in 2013 than they did in 2015

Interestingly, I did not know that. Then again, I don't care and I don't see why I should. Internal Valve processes and decision making are none of my concern and as a consumer I'll only judge the end product. I feel like I had the most fun with Dota in 2013 and then in early 2015 if I remember correctly (6.81?). The rest of 2015 was not that great. 6.86 is pretty good and I like the fact that we are up to version 'f' now. Still, as I have mentioned in the past months I find the hero release frequency unacceptable.
I remember listening to a Valve employee interview prior to TI4 and he said we'd probably have Dota 1 parity by TI5. I'm not implying they are lazy or anything of that sort but surely, I can choose to criticize them for laying their focus on stuff that does not excite me as much as higher frequent balance updates and hero releases.

I figure the whole point of DOTA 2 as a project for Valve is to experiment on development/content models that allow a game to remain supported without a massive full-time development team. It's why the hat economy came and went, why annual events came and went, etc. Icefrog might even be the last dev remaining on the team. Maybe the last thing the DOTA2 team did was set up a CMS that let icefrog plug in patchfixes via some form fills.

pompidu

They are inherently bad because of how many kiting and escaping have OSfrog added to help supports.

Needs an item that helps dealing with the kiting or them have faster catch-up mechanics.

Heroes that rely on kills like Chaos Knight are just shit. Reality Drift needs to go through fog or caster cast time, but the enemy support has glimmer escape, blink 'n' livin' or force escape

lol there's probably like 5 stable in the team they just have to ask for help when dealing with major shit. No hierarchy, we do our own projects also our store front doesn't even have tab browsing and it is slow as fuck, but who cares. ;)))

They're needs to be an item for strength hereos like a a 1 sec stun with a 1 min cooldown.

Mobility in this game' and evasion, has become absurd now.

I like playing King and Naix but they are fucking shit for like 99% of situations. Thats true for most of the strength carries.

Edit: a lot of melee hereos are shit in this game.

Shinypogs

Had batrider as my daily hero today, I swear to god you have to be in sexual harassment range of a hero to lasso them jfc. I know they nerfed the range of his ulti a while back because it was too good but still :(

Overall he was still pretty fun to play, though I don't care much for being an initiator so I probably won't play him much in the future.

Also does anyone know if the change to market and trading policy times effects gifting items? I just got the storm spirit set out of chest from the compendium and don;t want it but there's also no point in consuming it this late in the lifespan of the compendium.

This patch talk is all trolling, right? Because this meta doesn't feel stale or boring to me at the moment... It's so fun to watch teams play it well

Had batrider as my daily hero today, I swear to god you have to be in sexual harassment range of a hero to lasso them jfc. I know they nerfed the range of his ulti a while back because it was too good but still :(

Overall he was still pretty fun to play, though I don't care much for being an initiator so I probably won't play him much in the future.

Also does anyone know if the change to market and trading policy times effects gifting items? I just got the storm spirit set out of chest from the compendium and don;t want it but there's also no point in consuming it this late in the lifespan of the compendium.

Bat is still really good. Too bad I don't get to play him more often. He completely changes the pace of the game once Blink is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom