• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are underestimating the effort it costs just to keep a game like dota from collapsing under it's own weight. There's multiple layers of interlocking game/menu/store components, an incomprehensible amount of weird interactions, only getting more complex by the month as new content and fixes are added. Plus there might still be some ancient code rattling around in there, though I'd hope dota reborn got rid of most of it. All of it accessed by millions of players daily.

Complaining about the glacial hero release schedule is more than fair - we are the consumers, we don't have to care about excuses, just the product - but I don't buy the story that the dota team is just picking their collective nose and waiting for the money to roll in.

pompidu

This patch talk is all trolling, right? Because this meta doesn't feel stale or boring to me at the moment... It's so fun to watch teams play it well

I think the meta is "ok" for viewers, boring as fuck to play though.

Played all pick during the battle pass, grew real tired of that fucking quick and went back to ability draft.

Hereos need some rework since they do not work well in the last couple patches.

Some haven't been good in a long ass time.

gai_shain

I don't recall ever talking to you nor ever seeing your user name. I hope your perception of how you won the argument was less selective then than it is now as "actual stats" indicate that I had 10 hero releases to celebrate in my first year of Dota. It felt fairly busy.

yeah wrong person

That was me. You were as wrong then as you are now.

I mean I had stats to back it up and you had your feeling so yeah

t0rment

i dont know, it was nice seeing invoker and od in the meta after a long time, but holy shit it's enough by now.

fuck invoker especially, he's on every fucking game.

Shinypogs

Bat is still really good. Too bad I don't get to play him more often. He completely changes the pace of the game once Blink is up.

I like watching pros play batrider, some of them can make him look completely broken. In my hands he's fun but a bit to tricky for me to be comfortable with.

I like watching pros play batrider, some of them can make him look completely broken. In my hands he's fun but a bit to tricky for me to be comfortable with.

Yeah 4 actives do that. And sometimes when I lasso and try to force staff pull the enemy hero to my team I accidentally click on the map in the bottom left corner and lose orentiation despite 100+ games on the hero lol. His combo needs to happen pretty fast which needs a little practice. He used to be a super good laner and jungler which they kinda killed sadly. Overall, he's in a decent spot balance wise though.

Quesa

The problem with Batrider in pubs is no one will trust you with whatever lane you pick. If you mid you'll get shit for not picking obvious winners like OD, and if offlane someone's going to force you to dual lane. People also underestimate how badly the needs to farm his Blink/FS, so pubs won't give you too much farm priority.

The problem with Batrider in pubs is no one will trust you with whatever lane you pick. If you mid you'll get shit for not picking obvious winners like OD, and if offlane someone's going to force you to dual lane. People also underestimate how badly the needs to farm his Blink/FS, so pubs won't give you too much farm priority.

Wait pubs give farm priority?

Also I seem to have no problem going solo offlane or even mid when playing Batrider and my MMR is not low (4500 or so).

Batrider super shits on Pudge mid so you guys might want to practice him when the occasion arises. It goes literally like Pudge hooks you -> he dies. Hilarious match up. Easily one of the more one-sided ones I can think of.

Come to think of it, Pudge loses solo mid to virtually anyone pretty bad. It just depends to which extent I guess.

inkls

dota is dead, long live dota

also wow, first game i queue in ranked since reaching 3k. Jungling lc on the other team, offlane invoker on the other team, duo offlane bm with me who does ancient lol. We crushed the other team but lol.

dota is dead, long live dota

also wow, first game i queue in ranked since reaching 3k. Jungling lc on the other team, offlane invoker on the other team, duo offlane bm with me who does ancient lol. We crushed the other team but lol.

3k is the real trench.

inkls

3k is the real trench.

Nah, its hilarious. I expected that idiocy since starting at 2,5k. My philosophy in ranked is just to accept it and move on. The game that got me 3k had our safelane be pudge + omni. If it gets bad enough I'll pick carries, mid or offlanes that can carry, but for now its fine.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think people are underestimating the effort it costs just to keep a game like dota from collapsing under it's own weight. There's multiple layers of interlocking game/menu/store components, an incomprehensible amount of weird interactions, only getting more complex by the month as new content and fixes are added. Plus there might still be some ancient code rattling around in there, though I'd hope dota reborn got rid of most of it. All of it accessed by millions of players daily.

Complaining about the glacial hero release schedule is more than fair - we are the consumers, we don't have to care about excuses, just the product - but I don't buy the story that the dota team is just picking their collective nose and waiting for the money to roll in.

I bet you there are sections of the code that are from the 90s that Valve just sort of works around. There is likely still code that is from the Quake engine, but that not necessarily a bad thing.

Russ T

Banned

Yeah!!

Plus, as much as I'd love to get a lot of new heroes, it's not like they've done nothing else in the meantime. The quests from this compendium are, in fact, not trivial. All the work they've put into polishing the UI, and making the custom games experience better is not, in fact, trivial.

They aren't sitting around with their thumbs up their collective ass. They're doing work. It's just not always work you get immediate and tangible gratification from.

Artanisix

This patch talk is all trolling, right? Because this meta doesn't feel stale or boring to me at the moment... It's so fun to watch teams play it well

no no its real only two new heroes this year it sucks forget every skill remake and new items added and map changes and massive hero shakeups those dont count i want chogall ported from heroes of the storm or this game is dead the amount of effort they put into this game versus the amount of money they make is obscene because evry 1 dollar i put in should quantifiably convert into a new hero

thanks obama

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Had to eat an abandon after getting matched with the same dude who intentionally fed after losing his lane. Even did the whole wait a few minutes before queueing again thing.

6 abandons now ouch

Hylian7

Sure, it might be fun to watch, but most people are sick of tired of Invoker and OD. I'm ready for a new patch just because of those two.

the dota group is too small to even be called a "team" in the way that I think most gamers think of a developer team. last i heard that group is a small as an indie game dev team now. < 10 people since the game came out of Beta? That's pretty cold comfort though it explains the awful pacing.

shira

t1461924000z1.png

Weplay S3 Kiev International Exhibition Centre (Apr 29-May 1)
$200k: EG, OG, VP, Elite Wolves, Fnatic, Vega, Liquid, Navi

Navi got the final slot.
DZtLeiS.gif

the dota group is too small to even be called a "team" in the way that I think most gamers think of a developer team. last i heard that group is a small as an indie game dev team now. < 10 people since the game came out of Beta? That's pretty cold comfort though it explains the awful pacing.

It's weird because there is a set group of people that can work on Dota and then there are all these multifaceted people that double as graphic artists or whatever. It's a very fluid team

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Haha, my first game of Dota after last night's Techies trauma with a 4 stack and our pub first picks Techies... Thankfully my boy fell on his sword and ate an abandon for the good of the team.

Artanisix

kinda surprised od so prelevant in pub games, in mt xperience that hero gets rekt. What are u picking against him? Zues just crushes od and zues is super easy to play

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Randomed TA and had a lot of fun with her. Laned against an alch who spammed acid till he got his 15 minute radiance despite supports rotating for a few kills on him. Haven't played her in over a year I think but TA is incredibly satisfying to play. I think she's my new Tinker <3

Edit: Checked dotabuff and I've played her precisely once per year since 2013. Time to get serious!

Red UFO

I once played a game where our invoker mid was furious because we had a Sven and "no agi carry"

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom