• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
Really disappointed to find out Dark Souls 3 uses the hub + branch level design of DS2 rather than the seamless, organic world of Dark Souls 2. Really disappointed. Watching the Giant Bomb guys stream and they literally just used a bonfire to warp to the first area of the game. I'm so sad right now.

thanks for ruining my month ;_;

Really disappointed to find out Dark Souls 3 uses the hub + branch level design of DS2 rather than the seamless, organic world of Dark Souls 2. Really disappointed. Watching the Giant Bomb guys stream and they literally just used a bonfire to warp to the first area of the game. I'm so sad right now.

Do DS2 and Dark Souls 2 refer to different things? Or did you mean "seamless, organic world of Dark Souls". (I never played the games so I have no idea)

aeolist

Banned
Do DS2 and Dark Souls 2 refer to different things? Or did you mean "seamless, organic world of Dark Souls". (I never played the games so I have no idea)

i imagine the second 2 was a typo. ds1 has an interconnected metroid style of world map, ds2 has a bunch of linear spokes coming from a hub area and was waaaay worse.

Hm yeah the hub worked well in DeS, not so much in DaS2. I hope they got it right again. Bloodborne and DaS have a similar approach and I feel like I enjoyed that one the most.

I just want nintendo to make good nintendo games with normal controllers and no gimmicks

Is that too much to ask for

to be fair, if it were up to gamers we would still be playing 3d games with snes pads ;))))))))))))

i don't trust gamers with either marketing or pushing bounderies

aeolist

Banned
Bloodborne's level layout was absolutely on point even with warping so I'm not too worried.

Frankly I'm more annoyed that you have to go back to the hub to upgrade, seriously from just let me allocate my souls at any given bonfire.

miyazaki sticking with any of the ds2 design changes is a bad sign in my book. that game was worse in almost every way.

I have yet to see Riki win a game with his new ult. Free win for the enemy team everytime I saw him picked. I usually look for swaps but in this case I straight up prefer to not have him on my team.

I'm not too worried about DS3 based on what I've seen so far. Already spotted some majestic ass environments and gear. The alternate weapon stances seem nifty as well.

Plus, the boss sizzle reel at the end of this trailer is the hypest shit I've watched in weeks (boss and area spoilers!): https://youtu.be/QjY99zF3_to?t=1m44s

yeah, but that was just thanks to the technical improvement from the overall shitshow that was GFWL

design was worse across the board. enemies, world, story, bosses, soul memory, etc.

Fashion Souls was better though.

ViviOggi

tfw Nintendo games will release on PC in your lifetime
bttv-566c9fde65dbbdab32ec053e.png

inkls

That NX controller looks like a crappy movie fake controller
And immediately stop making anything interesting since a massive source of income died, forcing them to only make the handful of games they can make and still meet success in the increasingly top heavy AAA environment.

But yeah, sure, 3rd party woohoo

I'm feeling the karmic salt backfire for all that storm hate

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

salty.gif

Twookie

Apparantly the controller is proved to be faked, ayyy lemeow

I'm too gullible(how the fuck do you spell this word) :mad:

I mean the last time they did that it basically killed their home console presence so.........

True, for some reason I always forget how poorly the gamecube did. Probably because I love my gc so much ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'll continue dreaming tho

I just want demon's souls on PC and everything else same-day :(

I want like all of them on pc, ps3 was the last console I ever bought

fuck nintendo

I have yet to see Riki win a game with his new ult. Free win for the enemy team everytime I saw him picked. I usually look for swaps but in this case I straight up prefer to not have him on my team.

I've seen riki go off a few times but it's messy and requires a lot more team coordination than old riki. Generally the success has been with big teamfight combos (ravage/hole/rp) or mega slows, which there are a lot of in the game. If a teammate has hex or atos it puts in work.

Ultimately tbh the ult is more about the temp invulnerability imo. Open with some attacks, ult if they start targeting you while your team clashes and hopefully keeps them under you, and when it's over you'll have a blink strike to attack/escape (if it's maxed).

I think the idea was to make him more of a utility/teamfight hero like nu-void rather than a solo killer but I don't think he's fun. The ult is not Strugglethot's level of mess. And his new toolkit makes supporting with him a battle. :(

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Ya sorry that's what I meant. Playing thru the first Dark Souls was like playing thru an amazing Castlevania castle. Up until Anor Londo it was all one bit connected area and I loved it. DS2 was just one hub city with 4 distinct branches with almost not connection to each other. It was very uninspired. I guess Dark Souls is going to be in a league of its own as far as awesome level design.

Ya sorry that's what I meant. Playing thru the first Dark Souls was like playing thru an amazing Castlevania castle. Up until Anor Londo it was all one bit connected area and I loved it. DS2 was just one hub city with 4 distinct branches with almost not connection to each other. It was very uninspired. I guess Dark Souls is going to be in a league of its own as far as awesome level design.
Is it confirmed it has this level structure, rather than just a few similarities that suggest it might?

I'm looking to DkS 3 to try again with souls so it'd be a bummer if it was restricted like that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is it confirmed it has this level structure, rather than just a few similarities that suggest it might?

I'm looking to DkS 3 to try again with souls so it'd be a bummer if it was restricted like that.

All I saw was from the Giant Bomb stream just now, but it had a version of Firelink Shrine (which was just a big round interior temple, and not a serene, green, inviting, outdoor temple like in DS1) and it had a bunch of hallways that lead out from it, which I assume are going to be your branch points. BUT the real killer was in order to get to the first explorable area of the game, you don't even walk to it, you just warp there from a bonfire... I don't know if that's only going to happen in that first area of if you're actually just going to be warping to every area of the game thru the menu, but it left a bad impression for someone whose favorite aspect of the Souls games was the sense of exploration.

I'm definitely not an expert tho, there are people playing the import version that could probably answer better.

LiQuid!

If you haven't played either or both Dark Souls games here are their maps to reference what I'm talking about:

Dark Souls 1:

Notice how much of a clusterfuck maze it is for the most part with just a few areas offshooting from it? The way you moved between areas and learned all kinds of crazy shortcuts connecting them all was so memorable and amazing. It gave me such a profound joy when I played it for the first time. I never played Demon's Souls so it was my first foray into Souls games and it could not have left a better impression.

Here's Dark Souls 2 for comparison:

Majula in the middle, 4 distinct branching paths with 4 "main" bosses at the end of each path (the far left path doesn't rly count, it's the end game path you unlock last). Also in Dark Souls 2 you could teleport to every bonfire as soon as you unlock it. In DS1 you don't unlock fast travel until half way thru the game, and it wasn't particularly needed because of how brilliant all the areas were connected to each other via expanding shortcuts. DS1 is such a brilliant game. I feel like 2 and now quite possibly 3 they are just taking that combat and putting it into linear levels and that kills me.

aeolist

Banned
i will be ok with a ds2 style of world so long as the actual level design is better. the painted world in ds1 was totally isolated but the layout was better than anything in ds2.

ds2 levels were largely shit.

Demoli

3/22/16 never forget

BTW what is this dark souls game is it any good? Does it have coop

It's a good game yeah, not groundbreaking like some people make it out to be though.

There is co op yeah. Every time you see a red ghost run up to them and greet them, they will help you through the area.

LiQuid!

Seems to me like Nintendo is just acknowledging that mobile games won and that console gaming is on the way out. Not surprising since they've been headed in that direction for a while, but it IS kind of a shocker that they realized it before MS and Sony did after being so far behind the curve since the N64.

In DS1 you don't unlock fast travel until half way thru the game, and it wasn't particularly needed because of how brilliant all the areas were connected to each other via expanding shortcuts.

girl what is this

are you one of those weirdos who needs to walk everywhere in elder scrolls games

hell the fuck no I would not have kept playing DaS if the lordvessel was not a thing, fuck off!!!!

"TP scrolls aren't particularly needed because of how brilliant all the lanes are connected to each other via clever jungle design"

the door is that way ---------->

fair enough. Punishing action games really do seem like the worst, though.
Well yeah, it's going to be worse for some games than others, but I can't even imagine ever feeling this controller to be okay for gaming.

Even with the Wiimote I was like yeah okay I can see how this would be cool, especially with Skyward Sword. The Wii U pad is huge and unwieldy but I was okay with it since at least it was still a normal controller with buttons and dual analog(and the screen is so nice to have for Netflix and stuff). This thing is garbage in every way.

LiQuid!

girl what is this

are you one of those weirdos who needs to walk everywhere in elder scrolls games

hell the fuck no I would not have kept playing DaS if the lordvessel was not a thing, fuck off!!!!

"TP scrolls aren't particularly needed because of how brilliant all the lanes are connected to each other via clever jungle design"

Calm your ass, I meant it's not needed up til the point you get it. After you gotta start chasing down the 4 lords or whatever, yeah, it would be a pain in the dick to run all over the map to get where you need to go. But up until Anor Londo you're never more than a few minutes run to anyplace you need to be exploring because the level design is so well thought out.

And not that it matters, but yeah I preferred the Morrowind style, designated fast travel locations over the Oblivion style click anywhere and go. WHAT ABOUT IT?

inkls

girl what is this

excuse me? So what if I enjoy that?

Jungle PA? Support pudge? What could possible go wrong my last opponents were asking themselves: 1,319gpm Alchi is the answer

That's probably the highest gpm I've ever seen someone have a in legit game (of mine at least). PA bought normal stuff btw before raging and buying that stuff (presumably for fountain force staffing).

Alchi was even just 0-0-1 20 mins in but still had Midas, Radiance, S&Y, BoTs and AC a minute later :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom