• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaipi is so shit
lol...

Empire is worse....somehow LMAO
StinkyCheese.png

Yeah, Eyeshield 21 has amazing art. The well drawn chapters of one punch man are quite good, as well.

I read a slice of life recently that (somewhat oddly) also had really well drawn 'action', but I can't recall which it was.
Oh, since I've been playing gameboy games quite a bit recently, I've been noting how these things are done with pixel art, as well. It's pretty cool.

Hylian7

thought that was gonna be an actual artstyle post

from TI 1 or something

Did someone say alpha/pre-alpha art style?

Radiant creeps:

The game's art style had a more asian motif at some point in development. Portraits like Storm, Mirana, and Pudge lent themselves to this, but there was also a map with a different look back in Source 1. I can't find a picture of it anymore, but all of the buildings looked Chinese-style instead of how they do now. It's possible that might be how the idea for the New Bloom Festival came up.

Smithy C

Killed enemy Slark from across the map with AA ice blast. Slark write "random" in all chat.

Proceed to hit him right between the eyes once again 3 minutes later. No better feeling.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Just had an arc warden buy rapier, immediately BoTs top, makes a clone, take ranged rax..and dies to a 4 man gank.

Just....why.

KingKong

Its so weird to me that people thought a thing you need to spend a shitload on, have a lot of space in your room for and needs your undivided attention for, would be a big hit

Thats not even mentioning that people are buying first generation hardware thats got nothing but tech demos yet

Its so weird to me that people thought a thing you need to spend a shitload on, have a lot of space in your room for and needs your undivided attention for, would be a big hit

Thats not even mentioning that people are buying first generation hardware thats got nothing but tech demos yet

I'm sure people said the same thing for TVs. Or computers.

kionedrik

but neither of those things meet the conditions he said

well... the very first computer occupied two full rooms. The first commercial ones costed somewhere between 3k and 4k USD at the time and were pretty massive in size.

No idea about TVs but according to my 7th or 8th grade history book they were DoA as well.

Don't most games say to take a 15 minute break ever 30 to 60 minutes? I'd assume its just standard legal boiler plate.

It's pretty much standard that it's recommended 5min breaks per 1h of whatever activity (work or play).

Depends on where game development goes. I feel like we'll be seeing a lot of cockpit style simulations.

but neither of those things meet the conditions he said

Really? Let's look at the early IBM PC

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2101426/ibm-pc-ago

1. "a thing you need to spend a shitload on"

- $$1,565, adjusted to 2011 prices equates to $5,000. Check.

2. "have a lot of space in your room for "
- If we're not counting the walking around set ups (which seem fair since Rift and PS VR don't necessarily cater to it), it doesn't take up that much more space. Certainly less than an entire new computer. I'd consider that a check too.

3. "needs your undivided attention for,"
- It's definitely fair to say it's easier to look away from the computer screen then it is to take off a headset etc, but if you're going to be doing anything useful with the computer (spreadsheets, programming etc) you can't really be, say, cooking or reading a book while you're using the computer too. Let's consider this a half check.

4 " got nothing but tech demos yet"
From: http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc25/pc25_fact.html
- We had DOS, a compiler, a fancy calculator, a game.... not bad. It looks like that's about 10 separate pieces of software. Rift launches with 30 games? Granted the "tech demo" part is subjective, but it seems like it's definitely launching with more dev support than the IBM PC did. Let's consider this another half check.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer : About 40k IBM PCs were ordered on the announcement.

The launch of the IBM PC and Rift etc all look strikingly similar.

KingKong

these are commercial products aimed at the mass market. we've already had simulators for years, this isn't a brand new technology or some kind of paradigm shift

i mean sure, you can compare it to successful tech launches but we could also compare it to 3D TVs and HD-DVD players

these are commercial products aimed at the mass market. we've already had simulators for years, this isn't a brand new technology or some kind of paradigm shift

i mean sure, you can compare it to successful tech launches but we could also compare it to 3D TVs and HD-DVD players

Depends how you define "brand new" and "paradigm shift", but it seems to me like more people would categorize VR tech as represented by the Rift, Vive as "brand new" and "paradigm shift" than not.

And yeah, you bring up a good point about 3D TVs and HD-DVD players, in that VR isn't guaranteed to be successful. The point I wanted to bring up though was that as tech launches go, this isn't a disaster, relatively speaking. Other products have launched with worse and gone on to do amazingly well, hence it maybe isn't that far out there to expect that perhaps VR might do well too.

Pratfall

Really? Let's look at the early IBM PC

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2101426/ibm-pc-ago

1. "a thing you need to spend a shitload on"

- $$1,565, adjusted to 2011 prices equates to $5,000. Check.

2. "have a lot of space in your room for "
- If we're not counting the walking around set ups (which seem fair since Rift and PS VR don't necessarily cater to it), it doesn't take up that much more space. Certainly less than an entire new computer. I'd consider that a check too.

3. "needs your undivided attention for,"
- It's definitely fair to say it's easier to look away from the computer screen then it is to take off a headset etc, but if you're going to be doing anything useful with the computer (spreadsheets, programming etc) you can't really be, say, cooking or reading a book while you're using the computer too. Let's consider this a half check.

4 " got nothing but tech demos yet"
From: http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc25/pc25_fact.html
- We had DOS, a compiler, a fancy calculator, a game.... not bad. It looks like that's about 10 separate pieces of software. Rift launches with 30 games? Granted the "tech demo" part is subjective, but it seems like it's definitely launching with more dev support than the IBM PC did. Let's consider this another half check.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer : About 40k IBM PCs were ordered on the announcement.

The launch of the IBM PC and Rift etc all look strikingly similar.

OwnedFish

Russ T

Banned
Oh I see people preachin' the gloom 'n' doom shtick re: VR. Woo!

It's going to be niche. It's oging to be niche for a while. It's expensive. Prohibitively so. The thing is, that's okay. That's how a lot of tech enters the market. Almost nothing becomes ubiquitous on day one. I'd argue, in fact, that LITERALLY nothing does.

So, yes, it's niche. But, if it sticks around, one day... it's not going to be niche. It's going to have better form factor, less prohibitive costs, etc etc etc.

Might it fail? Sure. But predicting its ultimate death at this point seems like a fool's errand.

--

And then my personal opinion: I've tried out the Vive (shoutout to waxy), and it was fucking incredible. I had not experienced a thing like that... well, ever. It's something special. I won't be buying one, because I can't afford it. I wish I could, but I can't! One day it'll be cheaper. Or, it'll die, and I'll have dodged a bullet. I hope it succeeds, though.

May have just pushed some gunk in there. Drop some hydrogen peroxide in there and giver a swish. Unless you just straight up murderstabbed a Q-tip into your eardrum you probably didn't do any serious damage. It'll sort itself out in a couple days.

Credentials: I am not a doctor.

And use one of these in the future (Q-tips are awful for ear care): http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/77706/300.jpg[IMG]

You'll feel ashamed once you see the boulders of wax you've compacted and jammed into your ear canals, but you'll feel better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks brehs. will probably see a doctor later.
Bvs was
[IMG]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/d-chen/dota2-chat-emoticons/master/assets/images/sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

Can all the people that cried about waggle motion tell me how they reconcile getting VR then?

"my limp wrists get tired"

"i dont want to waggle when a button would do"

Hylian7

The Wii's greatest success was VC and emulating N64 games which originally ran at inconsistent frame rates.

Saleswise, I don't think so.

Quality wise, I still disagree. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Epic Yarn. There were plenty of good games, despite the flood of garbage.

Can all the people that cried about waggle motion tell me how they reconcile getting VR then?

"my limp wrists get tired"

"i dont want to waggle when a button would do"

I don't think the people that didn't like "waggle" motion didn't hate it for those reasons. It was really for the imprecision of it sometimes and how it was often used to replace button presses (Donkey Kong Country Returns comes to mind here). The pointer stuff was great, and people liked it. Motionplus was alright too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom