• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
^can you tell me why? sof is pretty shitty at level one, and not speaking of the dmg the range is pretty trash isn't the bigger dmg and duration on bolas much more reliable?

DrPizza

Banned
Damn. Purge/Merlini stack just lost 2-1 to a carry Enchantress. They kept running from her, which didn't work out well.

Low Tier
SoF's cast range is 700 at all points, so even though the affected radius is only 250, you can still catch targets up to 950 range away (realistically, lvl 1 sleight will still let you bolas someone about 700-850 away) which allows you to initiate without use of one of your remnants, which is a very big deal during the early-midgame as they are not only your escape mechanic and cost a lot of mana, but also sometimes the large aoe damage needed to swing a teamfight to your favor.

Personally I'm greedy with ember and go 3-1-4-1, but going 4 chains over 1 sleight is just not knowing how to play the hero, nothing else. This is also not including the versatility granted during its invulnerability phase, which allows you to trade 3 autoattacks to your opponent's one if done right. (ember attacks, sleights, will get another attack off to his target's one)

Anyone who doesn't understand how strong even one point in this spell is should shy away from ember and play an easier hero like spectre.

SoF's cast range is 700 at all points, so even though the affected radius is only 250, you can still catch targets up to 950 range away (realistically, lvl 1 sleight will still let you bolas someone about 700-850 away) which allows you to initiate without use of one of your remnants, which is a very big deal during the early-midgame as they are not only your escape mechanic and cost a lot of mana, but also sometimes the large aoe damage needed to swing a teamfight to your favor.

Personally I'm greedy with ember and go 3-1-4-1, but going 4 chains over 1 sleight is just not knowing how to play the hero, nothing else. This is also not including the versatility granted during its invulnerability phase, which allows you to trade 3 autoattacks to your opponent's one if done right. (ember attacks, sleights, will get another attack off to his target's one)

Anyone who doesn't understand how strong even one point in this spell is should shy away from ember and play an easier hero like spectre.

why throw all this shade

Also, I feel like ember has a lot of really important decisions to make around level 8-11, especially once he gets BoTs since he can choose to participate. Landing one sleight/chain combo can win your team a fight, especially since flameguard and chain damage is so good early on. It's tempting to just buckle down and farm/split push until I have BF, but I feel like the sleight damage isn't really that impressive until you get your second item and you have to fight in order to efficiently get there. Even rtz/EE aren't that greedy when they play ember in pubs.

In my limited ember experience being too passive just means I lose to cores that only need 1 item before they start being effective, and being able to clear waves is sort of pointless since ember doesn't hit buildings hard enough to be a really effective rat

Quesa

While you're here, how/why did BoTs become such a popular item on the hero? That and blink seem like recent changes to his core build.

Low Tier
correct, ember's popularity and power largely come from the fact that he can fight so early as a core, and his naturally elusiveness means he doesn't need much in terms of survivability to perform. The problem with playing farming ember isn't just that he doesn't hit buildings as well as other heroes, but also that he loses most 2-4 slotted fights against other carries (If you put an equal farm ember at around 30ish minutes vs another top tier carry at that same point most likely he loses those clashes). Thus, ember fighting early not only means he keeps the enemy carry down with his reach and damage output, but it's also a means to elevate his advantage over the enemy team. The other way to play ember is to just bank on getting large items asap, and going for pure teamfight contribution with daedalus and bfury.

BoTs was originally a very greedy item to get on ember, as sumail pioneered and popularized the treads drums build mid which let you fight all day and beat out most heroes (thus, elevating his advantage). However, because of how popular invoker, and to a lesser extent wr, is as a hero atm, very seldom do you see ember mids anymore, as his role has gravitated towards the safelane. In that regard, he doesnt need to be the main damage dealer nor the initiator a majority of the times, and it is better to get BoTs for the global presence, movement speed and reduced cd teleport which both synergize with his ultimate extremely well. Given the global ms nerf on all boots but BoTs, and BoTs become even more alluring with more MS difference.

I find it funny that Ember's role in the safelane is not to be the primary damage dealer since that's usually where the primary damage dealer was in the past.

KingKong

Valve gave up I think http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/11430?r=d0

weta_hallgul_war_mount_large.a071ca3f0fc51deeeb87400cf793ab503f3ae477.png

Has anyone else been getting really weird network behaviour in their games. Last 2 times I picked a farming sort of character I keep getting non stop stuttering and weird connection drops all game long, while other games are fine.

drow needs a rework badly.

Like no aspect of the hero seems thought out. When was the last time she was first pick, 2 years ago? I remember when her e auto won games because of it being global, her mechanics are boring and super simple. Having skills as orb effects seems unreasonable, especially when her q isn't even mechanically much better than a skadi. Her ult doesn't scale, it's just a nice boost that falls off quickly. W is her only semi decent skill, though I prefer her old one where it was a huge aoe. She just screams ported WC3 hero.

I don't understand what she's suppose to do anymore. At best I think she'd be a good snowballing mid but she doesn't have the skills to either win mid or gank easily. She's a crap carry, because again, she doesn't scale.

Troll is slightly behind her as well. Attack speed is becoming less important as the game shifts toward more abilitiy based combat, 5 seconds on his ult seems way too low.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
wow not even kyoani can make good anime

first episode total trash

They're making Euph S2 this year and probably Koe no Katachi next year. They're just in their "trash anime that sells" phase to put food on the table.

TUSR

Banned
their self licensed and produced shows keep the lights on enough to fund projects like Euphonium.

myriad colors is fine

drow needs a rework badly.

Like no aspect of the hero seems thought out. When was the last time she was first pick, 2 years ago? I remember when her e auto won games because of it being global, her mechanics are boring and super simple. Having skills as orb effects seems unreasonable, especially when her q isn't even mechanically much better than a skadi. Her ult doesn't scale, it's just a nice boost that falls off quickly. W is her only semi decent skill, though I prefer her old one where it was a huge aoe. She just screams ported WC3 hero.

I don't understand what she's suppose to do anymore. At best I think she'd be a good snowballing mid but she doesn't have the skills to either win mid or gank easily. She's a crap carry, because again, she doesn't scale.

Troll is slightly behind her as well. Attack speed is becoming less important as the game shifts toward more abilitiy based combat, 5 seconds on his ult seems way too low.
hm let me forward this to someone

They're making Euph S2 this year and probably Koe no Katachi next year. They're just in their "trash anime that sells" phase to put food on the table.

anime seller = huge titties playing limbo

EleGiggle

tbh last show i liked from them was Hyouka

s2 where

Haly

Never. The author never wrote any more books so there's no material to adapt.

Euphonium was good if you haven't watched that. Better for musicians (brass, mostly).

TUSR

Banned
The Approximation of the Distance of Two
(An Estimation of the Distance of Two?)

You can find the unadapted and translated 5th Hyouka book online Sgt. Pepper.

Haly

I dunno what book Game of Thrones is up to but I'm pretty sure that won't stop those guys at the rate GRRM is writing. Anime can adapt.

The book and the TV diverged, and the funniest thing is the next book is getting delayed in order for the next season to air first to spoilerphobes won't get triggered by Snape killing Dumbledore.

Fuck spoiler culture.

Anyway it's quite common for anime adaptations to insert original material when the source material is dragging but that's not KyoAni's style.

Quesa

I've been on a Medusa kick lately. What is it about her that makes people think she can solo vs. dual offlanes? Every time I go safe with her supports just seem to roam/jungle from level one and make it hard for me to find farm in lane. I do feel proud of the two snake kills I got in lane, though.

Doublehex

Neo Member
So it seems that every time I go OD I face off against a Puck. What is it about a very weak and fragile transgender dragon that makes people think they can stand against a walking Int stealing, pure damage dealing monolith?

Haly

Number of TIs Puck has won: 3
Number of TIs OD will ever win: 0

If there was an International icon, it'd be Puck.

Hylian7

So it seems that every time I go OD I face off against a Puck. What is it about a very weak and fragile transgender dragon that makes people think they can stand against a walking Int stealing, pure damage dealing monolith?

Uhhhh @ the bolded.

If you want an answer to your question:

puck_phase_shift_hp2.png

Pure damage this

Puck doesn't win that lane, but can survive it.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Attack on Titan's music is soooo good. Not my favorite but hard to dislike an anime that had such high quality production values.

Kade

They should make more animes of that series of books that The Perfect Insider is based on. I want to meet a girl like Moe Nishinosono.

Haly

Puck was male in Dota 1. He's one of the heroes who was regendered for Dota 2.

I assume that's it.

LC used Garithos' model in WC3, so she was a guy, yeah.

Presumably the Frost Wyrms were male or had no gender so Winter Wyvern changed as well.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
puck was always kinda androgynous anyway, i think "effeminate" is probably the best descriptor for our little faerie dragon friend

Quesa

How do I fix that feeling where every time the "match found" sound comes on I start thinking "Wait, shit! I didn't actually want to play!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom