• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Velcro Fly

Anyone know when I get the bomb satchel as the dwarf? It said I needed to put skill items in my bag but I'm not sure I have it.

Also are bones you find in stages always the same level?

Anyone have any analysis on some skills? Is it worth it to put points into the skill that ups my health? Or recovers health when I'm picking up score coins or things? I'm worried that things may seem useful now but then later on may suck.

Really hope this game does well because it seems really fun. I only stopped playing because I have a couple other things I need to do. Will definitely be playing more later on today.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
i dont get amazons parry. do you hold square right before the attack? whats the window difference between reg block and parry

Haven't tried it yet, but I assume on a successful parry it leaves the opponent open for a counter-attack.

And yeah, you hold square to guard right before the attack hits.

Ken

Haven't tried it yet, but I assume on a successful parry it leaves the opponent open for a counter-attack.

And yeah, you hold square to guard right before the attack hits.

holding square to block something quickly seems so weird to me. wish there was a dedicated block button

slabrock

Banned
Got my shipment from amazon a few minutes ago. Was surprised by the size of the box until I remembered the art book. Gonna crack it open in a little bit.

I just picked up my copy and have been playing it for over an hour now. This is my first side scroller ever since Streets of Rage and it feels great. I'm playing with the Wizard as my starting character, and he's so hard to be in the first 2 levels because
the Harpy boss has water around her so your fire magic may not work, and some other areas have water in it stopping the fire magic once again.

I'll stay the Wizard since he's the coolest looking character to me, but it's been a rough start.

I emailed Newegg and Atlus to find out what happened with the preorder bonus artbook. Hopefully it is some kind of mistake that Newegg and Atlus will work out among themselves but I guess we'll wait and see.

I'll update this thread with any new information I may receive on this...

I emailed Newegg and Atlus to find out what happened with the preorder bonus artbook. Hopefully it is some kind of mistake that Newegg and Atlus will work out among themselves but I guess we'll wait and see.

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it.

mao2

Some general tips and some class specific tips for amazon, sorceress, elf and dwarf.
Gonna spoiler them all for those who want to figure out things for themselves.

General tips:
- You can do instant jump reset (land immediately from air) by holding X and down.
- You can recover from mid air knockdown by pressing R1 or X. It will however remove all i-frames from the falling animation.
- Evasion (R1) when timed correctly, has i-frames. I find at least 1 level of the evasion skill critical for all classes except the 2 magic users.
- Hotkey your healing item as soon as you can by highlighting it in your equipment menu and then pressing the direction pad.
- You can jump and use evasion into the background or foreground. This is especially useful for evading full screen length horizontal attacks.
- Get one level of wealth to health and nutritionist as soon as possible, this will be your main healing tool during dungeons.
- Slide to kill small critters quickly.
- Skeletons get launched easily with slides, zombies with anti air (up + square) and soldiers with dash attack.
- Dash attack can be cancelled into a slide. A slide can be cancelled into a standing attack.

Amazon:
- Abuse moves that give i-frames, like parry and brandish.
- She's weak but fast without her weapon, so use the power smash sparingly or when the TTF rune is available.
- She's got the best staying-in-air capability, her anti-air launcher (up + square) doesn't count as a jump, so you can actually spend a lot of time floating in mid air.

Sorceress:
- If you're playing solo, consider skipping the status spells, they're not very useful.
- Also the skeleton revival skill requires a lot of points before it becomes decent.
- Her moveset is identical to the wizard, they both have 3 elemental staff types. Most natural and undead enemies are weak to fire, dragons are weak to ice, and soldiers are weak to lightning.
- The ice and fire staff have identical moves but with different properties, the lightning staff has a different moveset and uses more mana.
- Get levitate early, it boosts magic damage from air by 30%

Elf:
- Always end every combo with some sort of bow attack.
- Her melee will suck for quite a long time, so just go for short combos that end with an arrow shot. Her dash attack is a very quick launcher.
- Her dash bow attack can be done by pressing forward, holding circle, then releasing circle.
- She has the best recovery time from moves, so abuse evasion to find a safe spot to shoot from.

Dwarf:
- Abuse throws and power smash. He's invincible throughout the entire power smash animation. Throws are not particular useful against bosses though. Great for everything else.
- Flying enemies can be easily caught using his mid air grab (jump, up + square).
Thanks for the tips! :)

Couldn't find a physical copy in Memphis, so got the digital on my vita while I wait for the ps3 one to come in. Got to create my sorceress and play the tutorial before heading back to work. Game has some great personality.
I wish the UI was hand drawn, it's functional, but man its so plain when you see the rest of the art.

Really? I live in Memphis. Where did you look?

pariah164

Off topic, but is that Cybele in your avatar?

ILU so much if it is.

Bucca

holding square to block something quickly seems so weird to me. wish there was a dedicated block button

I agree I think it's kinda silly.

Though with my Amazon I'm constantly dodge rolling and juggling with air attacks and shit so I'm never stationary to guard anyway. :lol

Roubjon

Woah, Newegg doing God's work right now. I come home and the game is already here. I ordered the default 3 day shipping too. I didn't get the preorder art book, but I don't really care. I've got enough of those things lying around anyways.

Going to start this up right now!

legbone

what a great game. i played about three hours of the vita copy with amazon. holy shit. game is so fun. it's like the updated streets of rage/final fight i always wanted. i like how even if you fail you get some xp. gotta save the gold, so i can see myself grinding through levels instead of paying to get resurrected. it seemed to be getting pretty damned expensive.

sorry to ramble but sometimes my new game love gets out of control.

i liked this so much on vita i went and picked up a ps3 copy too.

Bucca

Just started, Wizard is gonna be tough. Can you just keep making characters and go between them?

You can make multiple characters and switch between them, but each character would have to redo the same quests that your other character would have already done, for instance.

pariah164

Okay, I hate to admit I'm stuck, but... I am stuck. (Possible spoilers.)

There's a chest in one room I can't get to in Wallace Underground. I know I have to press the colored tiles in order to get the bars to go away, but what is the right order?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Man I just want to cancel my amazon order (still hasn't shipped) and just grab the digital version. It's so tempting (ヽ´ω`)

george_us

So when I go to UPS to track my package it says: "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Goddammit I think they forgot to ship my things. Assholes.

LiK

Emailed Newegg about the lack of artbooks. Kinda pissed about it. Good thing I have Amazon as backup and they came through. Gonna sell the Newegg copies for the price I paid which were cheaper. Don't feel like returning them.

akaoni

Banned
Unlocked the networking options with 4.5 hours on the save, might've only been 4~ if you consider idle time. You unlock it 1 dungeon after you unlock the stable.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I hate that.

I've read that they sometimes pull up in-front of your house, stay there for a few minutes [so the GPS says that they were at your location], and then drive away. Honestly, given my past UPS experiences, it would surprise me if it were true. :/

I hope you get your copy soon!

I've witnessed this happen. I was waiting for a delivery of some new pc components since I saw that my package was being delivered according to their tracking. So I heard the truck pull up, watched the truck stop in front of my house, waited for the guy to get out and bring my package to the door.... and the bastard drove off :-( Checked my delivery status right after and it indicated that it had been delivered :p Got it a few hours later after calling and complaining, but I was still pissed.

zroid

Banned
So... page 48 in the art book...

>___>

Also: first retail game I've bought for Vita since P4G (and first game in general since Guacamelee). Feels pretty good to have a new thing to play on this device again.

Bucca

Added myself to the list, got both Vita and PS3 version.

edit - oh, who can parry, only amazon?

Don't know about the others, but Parry is a purchasable skill for Amazon.

legbone

ok, what the hell. i decided to take a break from amazon and try out the fighter. not near as much fun. but the problem is, when i went back to my amazon my healing potion with 6 uses is gone. i just have the normal three use one. can't buy a replacement from the store either. anyone know why the item i had equipped on my amazon just up and disappeared. i couldn't equip it on the fighter because it was equipped on my amazon when i was using the fighter so i know it's not that. anyone else notice shit disappearing after swapping characters. also, had no idea that money and items are shared among characters. kind of cool.

edit: oh shit, does restock amount show how many times that item can be used total? was wondering what the hell that meant. i guess i may have just used them all up and not noticed it. anyone know how long until the store restocks/changes items?

akaoni

Banned
That one page with the early designs for a Dreamcast version was interesting. I think the background also shows that some of the environment designs are 15 years old....

MooMoo

Hopefully side quests aren't considered spoilery. But basically there's one not too far into the game where you need to collect spores. What exactly causes them to drop? I managed to pick one up but I don't really want to have to run through another 9 times just to finish the quest.

Also really enjoying the Elf so far. Not as hard to control as I thought she'd be and it's really fun jumping around, evading, and shooting arrows everywhere. Only died once so far with her but it was kind of a cheap newbie death.

zroid

Banned
jVnfuDMZsU5Bd.jpg

Top Bottom