• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
They did Ryou as well, even gave him a sawed off shotgun:

2H6Jd1T.jpg

iVO33VW.jpg

They might as well do Miki Makimura's head on a pike at this point...

TUSR

Banned
I think what is seen as cute/innocent to one might be seen as something more objectionable by others. I refer to that moe thread that finally got locked. I posted this picture:

Yall wouldnt even think twice about this row of figures but some think it is just a row of fetishes and would be disturbed by it immensely (and said as such in that thread)

beautiful things

i regret not ordering her, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

taoofjord

A question on the Super Robot Chogokin Gurren Lagann figure...

The one in this review, which is the figure I want, has a different decal/skull on the shoulders than the one that shows up when I search for it on Amazon. Did they make changes to the figure at some point or is this a different figure entirely?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Mandrake canceled my Tsukasa Bullet Mariko Imai figure so I went searching for another and found a pre-owned Yamato TB Heat Blade for £85 at Solarisjapan...

Also I did and early new years resolution and promised my wife I wouldn't buy another figure out right and only stick to pre-orders next year, how long will I last before breaking that promise?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
This is something that bothered me for a while too, like you I don't collect anime girls, nendos etc. but I am indeed a figure collector and some of those pics make me uncomfortable, for a while I was proposer of creating a separate thread for us "rare birds" that collect and like figures but from other variants that what 98% is posted here, but I don't think we are that many and such thread will die pretty quick, so you learn to do what I do, you see something creepy or a post about a figures that are not your cup of tea and you skip those post like they never existed, heck I am pretty sure they do the same when a hot toy, mecha or super hero figure is posted.

People love hot toy and super hero figures here. The problem is most of us can't afford them, that's why you don't see a lot of us posting about it. For mecha there's that Gundam model ot. There used to be a general modeling ot, but it died off pretty quickly.

So many good points have already raised regarding the subject of questionable content in Figure GAF, but I'll weigh in with my two cents...

Lets take an example of an imaginary individual who - off the back of all the Amiibo hysteria in recent weeks - made a click on Figure GAF, thinking "huh... maybe that's a place where people might talk about how cool/expensive/in short supply Amiibo figures are." They see the thousand yard stares of nendo after nendo, lined up like the Children of the Corn. They see a Japanese battle fleet anthropomorphized into a production line of young girls. They see the incomprehensibly endowed Super Sonico dripping in whatever confectionery-based, limb-shattering pose she's been cast in (this week). They close the window. They find the Amiibo thread. They push what they saw into a corner of their mind titled 'closed', never to return.

I don't have much time for the kind of person for whom their thought process can only function in either 'nothing' or 'outraged' mode, without anything in-between. Understanding can only be gained when things are placed in context. Take the example of battle-damaged figures from Kantai Collection - without at least the basic knowledge of why they look that way (for those who don't know: it's the visual representation of their weakened state in a mostly tame turn-based browser game) would almost certainly raise alarm bells. Some might take one look and think the figures represent a victim of physical abuse: torn clothes, defensive pose, face wrought with pain/fear. Are they right with such snap judgement? Of course not. I'm not a huge fan of this type of figure - that's because I mostly prefer positive expressions in my figures - but not because I am offended by them.

A big part of the reason why I (and I'll wager, others here) collect figures is their association with anime series (another easy target for lazy moralists) I have watched, enjoyed, and would just like a reminder of that show sat on my DETOLF to bring a nostalgic smile. It's not for everyone, but I do enjoy 'slice of life' anime - which is about as unimaginable to those who might condemn anime as a whole as the notion that the medium is populated solely by graphically violent animation (said reputation still not shaken off by the mainstream, but not nearly as bad as it was around 20 years ago, trust me). 'Slice of life' may tread on the more mundane aspects of life, but carry with it interesting characterisation, thought-provoking narrative and heartwarming scenarios dealing with the building and/or demise of relationships. Sexualisation in many of the shows I watch is used as a bawdy footnote - done for laughs, but also has the propensity to make otherwise flat exchanges turn into hilarious exchanges between characters. Mileage will vary from viewer to viewer, but it couldn't be any further from the idea of turning young characters into objects of sexual desire, at least not in my mind.

The Beach Queens range of figures (characters put into bathing suits, often out of context from their respective original setting) is interesting. Over anything else in this thread, BQ could be deemed as one of the most prominent offenders for sexualising characters, but step back through any discussion of them and you'll find that most people here don't care for them all that much. The common consensus is that BQ figures are boring, lacking any of the real flourish or flair that figures based on their characters' source material have. No doubt they have their plaudits (they wouldn't continue to be made if not), but I don't see any particularly feverish excitement for their existence or the greater emphasis of bare skin on display here.

The recent emergence of Amiibo and the Elsa nendo have acted as the most recent gateways to a world of figure collecting that many are largely unaware of. Any new member of FigureGAF is treated with a welcoming group of open arms, are kindly encouraged to share their collection, and get connected with others through the likes of MyFigureCollection. My experience of this community has been nothing but friendly and helpful people with broadly similar interests. LEGO, Gundam, bishoujo, nendos... we might not all be as equally passionate for every one of these sub-genres, but there is a mutual respect for all who fall under the banner of FigureGAF, one that I daresay other community threads wish their own were half as balanced as here.

la vie est drôle.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Koto really did a great job with Jubilee. I need to have a little more faith in them.
Sometimes the first pictures we see of a new figure aren't the best, happens all the on statue and 1/6 scale forums, a few bad pictures and the whole place goes nuts... I try to wait for multiple sources before canceling something for sub-par quality, but Koto rarely fails...

they're shit and overprice everything. don't buy there.
I spent a few hours looking online for problems, and spent just as long looking at the site before I went ahead and ordered Heat blade, price comparing most things with Nippon Yassan, Solarisjapan won out. Ebay price for Heatblade were insane and I couldn't find anywhere else actually selling her for a price I could live with, they also let you choose what your invoice says on it for UK customs, shipping was also better then most as well...

There's a glue most use for broken PVC figures called Zap A Gap, I'd try that if I could find any...

My opinion on people getting worked up over sexualized figures is that they really need to notice that a lot of people get swimsuit calendars, bikini wallpapers, photos of models, etc. So why is it suddenly unacceptable to sexualize fictional, non living characters?

Acid08

Banned
My opinion on people getting worked up over sexualized figures is that they really need to notice that a lot of people get swimsuit calendars, bikini wallpapers, photos of models, etc. So why is it suddenly unacceptable to sexualize fictional, non living characters?
Eh you missed the original point it seems. The point was that it's creepy when obviously child-age characters are sexualized in figures.

Jobbs

Banned
Is there any way to safely shop for figmas on ebay without being hit with unofficial reproductions? I remember how there are knockoffs of the MP transformers and it occurred to me after looking at some auctions that some of these figmas could also be inauthentic.

Not the point--- I have no problems with sex or sexuality (there may be some statues I consider kind of tasteless/trashy looking, but my response would be to just not buy them -- I wouldn't judge anyone else for owning them) I'm very liberal on that. It's just the prepubescent looking stuff that kinda shocked me.

chrono01

Every time I see an amazing GK [and there are many] a piece of me dies. :(

Oh! I picked up Mammon today. That bonus coin purse is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but the artwork on it is lewd nice. As for the figure itself, she's amazing. What more can I say? So much life/hometown.

Ryuuroden

Every time I see an amazing GK [and there are many] a piece of me dies. :(

Oh! I picked up Mammon today. That bonus coin purse is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but the artwork on it is lewd nice. As for the figure itself, she's amazing. What more can I say? So much life/hometown.

I love the way Mammon looks as well as the other one with the big chest (Satan), The reason I did not buy either of them is I really don't like figures with massive breasts that defy reason. My limit is swimsuit Leviathan and that is pushing it. Everything else about Mammon is beautiful and I totally would of bought it if not for that. With that said, Satan on the motorcycle would probably make me cave as long as the breasts were not made any larger than they already are in the art. I like women on motorcycles >.> Someday I will get that Saber....

chrono01

I love the way Mammon looks as well as the other one with the big chest (Satan), The reason I did not buy either of them is I really don't like figures with massive breasts that defy reason. My limit is swimsuit Leviathan and that is pushing it. Everything else about Mammon is beautiful and I totally would of bought it if not for that. With that said, Satan on the motorcycle would probably make me cave as long as the breasts were not made any larger than they already are in the art. I like women on motorcycles >.> Someday I will get that Saber....
I can see how some might not like Mammon's proportions. Thankfully I don't have an issue with them though.

As for that Satan, I would definitely order her too if Hobby Japan [and subsequently, Amakuni/Orchid Seed] ever decided to do her. Not a big surprise, since I seemingly purchase anything/everything Seven Deadly Sins-related. I show some restraint with KanColle. Some.

Giolon

What about Asmodeus?
She's just....glorious IMO.

Just angle Mammon so you can't see her breasts.
*spins Mammon around*
Shit, it's not possible.

LOL It's so true. I'm crying inside b/c I want to figure out a way to display her tastefully but I just don't think it's possible. I'm also back home now so expect photos soon.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
You missed out the "CHILDREN" bit of the conversation...

Whoa-Class GK
That looks awesome, if I could find it I might have to grab it...

*few minutes later*

...Nevermind found it on E2046 it's just a bust...

Hope Figure GAFers had a good Christmas =)

Anyway these may have been posted, but eh it be a reminder:
“Nice work, Admiral!” Paying a Visit to the Popular “Mamiya Sweets Cafe!”
o0515064313168286597.jpg

【2nd Letter from Kaho-tan’s Post Office】Thanks for Entering your 2014 Winter Header Images!
o0515038613167949490.jpg

Available for Preorder from 12/24! Nendoroid Tomoyo Daidouji!
o0515047113166519869.jpg

From the manga masterpiece ‘Cardcaptor Sakura’ comes a Nendoroid of Sakura-chan’s best friend, Tomoyo Daidouji! She comes with three expressions including her standard expression, a sweet smiling expression, and an expression with sparking eyes for when she talks about Sakura-chan! Her video camera is also included for her to capture Sakura-chan’s every movement!Tomoyo has been sculpted wearing her Tomoeda Elementary School uniform with her hat included, which can also used with Nendoroid Kinomoto Sakura to display her in her school uniform! Be sure to add this cute little Tomoyo to your collection!
FIG-COL-6507.jpg

4,580 JPY
FIG-COL-6508.jpg

3,660 JPY
FIG-COL-6999.jpg

4,580 JPY
FIG-COL-7000.jpg

3,660 JPY
FIG-COL-8284.jpg

4,580 JPY
FIG-COL-8285.jpg

3,660 JPY
Comes out April 2015, but they are so expensive for rubber keychains ;___;

Edit:
2014y12m27d_223449237.jpg

WonFes starts on February 8th (I think)

RMI

Banned
Is there any way to safely shop for figmas on ebay without being hit with unofficial reproductions? I remember how there are knockoffs of the MP transformers and it occurred to me after looking at some auctions that some of these figmas could also be inauthentic.

short answer, no. There's always a risk you're buying a bootleg on ebay.

set up a figinstock notification and just wait for what you're looking for to come to Mandarake or Amiami.

haha, another Saber figure.

Man, I do want those Hataraku Maou sama figures but I just want Maou-sama.

Oh yeah, those Fire Emblem Awakening keychains. Thankfully only bought one set and that's enough for me~

kewlmyc

Hope Figure GAFers had a good Christmas =)

Anyway these may have been posted, but eh it be a reminder:

I never really say it, but thanks so much for always dumping all this information. It's convenient to come into this thread and see all the figure news already in here.

God, I would love that Noire keychain but I could care less about the other 8 keychains.

StayDead

Ah man that sucks.

I'm moving soon and I'm scared I'll break my scale figures. My Elsie snapped off her base so I'm worried it'll happen to the others, might just hand carry them.

Settin

LOL It's so true. I'm crying inside b/c I want to figure out a way to display her tastefully but I just don't think it's possible. I'm also back home now so expect photos soon.

Buy the Dragon's Crown Sorceress and any Cattleya figure. Put Mammon between them. Problem solved!

I never really say it, but thanks so much for always dumping all this information. It's convenient to come into this thread and see all the figure news already in here.

God, I would love that Noire keychain but I could care less about the other 8 keychains.
NP convenience is what I am aiming with all those figures correlated into a post and to make sure peeps don't miss out on something they probably wanted.

Sorry if you guys have a bandwidth limit/image dumps affect your browsing experiences though XP

Giolon

I'll try it when I come back home next week, but I'm not sure if super glue could support the bow's weight. Maybe I need to find a stronger/more suitable glue :\

That looks like a prime candidate for the brass rod technique. I had to do it on several figures, including Lucifer's staff. Here's an instructional post I made for Meijiko (I never heard how her repair went):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135770290&postcount=18131

Based on a Mikatan figma repair blog post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom