• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I have my gripes, but the overwhelming satisfaction I have with these kits should more than drown them out.

Finally together at last.

------

For waterslides did you use softer and setter?

Setter let the waterslide move around and bend to different surfaces.

Softer will melt the waterslide and stick to the surface like paint.

5F131F4A71E3E7E18ABCC731C180DD70-noscale.jpg

http://www.tomopop.com/limited-edition-popeye-statue-is-bad-ass--36146.phtml
Oookay

Wanderer5

Samus figma for $40 and Link Nendoroid for $47 with amazon prime (have student prime for 6 month for free heh). Soooo tempting gah!

Einbroch

Banned
Samus figma for $40 and Link Nendoroid for $47 with amazon prime (have student prime for 6 month for free heh). Soooo tempting gah!

I really don't like Figmas, but Samus is great. Armor looks so much better than skin with articulated joints.

Link Nendo is amazing. The faceplates, poses, and accessories are outstanding.

You can't go wrong with either.

apricot

Hey figGAF! Long time no see, I've been home for the holidays so not online much (missing out on all the fig news gah)

My mom has given me her old Nikon D70, which I'm really looking forward to using to take some better figure photos! It comes with this lens

Do any of you have any suggestions for another lens I could pick up before I head back to Australia that would be good for up close figure photos? Any other tips would be great, this is my first time using a DSLR. Very excited!

george_us

Oh, man that paint is awful. It made me go run over and check my copy. Fortunately, she doesn't have that issue. Did yours have the same issue mine did with the wings not attaching onto her backside fully b/c they don't fit next to her hair?
Luckily the wings attach fine. Overall she's fantastic discounting the QC issues.

*purchases train ticket*

idFKdNSJFbkDH.gif
This would make an excellent "Haters Gonna Hate" gif.

Hey figGAF! Long time no see, I've been home for the holidays so not online much (missing out on all the fig news gah)

My mom has given me her old Nikon D70, which I'm really looking forward to using to take some better figure photos! It comes with this lens

Do any of you have any suggestions for another lens I could pick up before I head back to Australia that would be good for up close figure photos? Any other tips would be great, this is my first time using a DSLR. Very excited!
I believe someone made a DSLR newbie guide a little back, I'll edit into this post when I find it later (busy atm), unless someone links it.

omlet

I believe someone made a DSLR newbie guide a little back, I'll edit into this post when I find it later (busy atm), unless someone links it.

It was just about how to better use a flash, but that's not to downplay its usefulness, because raw flash photography is an enemy of figures. Thought I might have bookmarked it but I didn't. Quick thread search found it easily: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142316965#post142316965

It was just about how to better use a flash, but that's not to downplay its usefulness, because raw flash photography is an enemy of figures. Thought I might have bookmarked it but I didn't. Quick thread search found it easily: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142316965#post142316965

Ah so it was but that was a good flash usage guide =)

Also found this post:
On cameras: I highly recommend a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera as the best option for most people - they're a lot less unwieldly than DSLR while still giving you the flexibility of picking different lenses to suit your needs, offer much better image quality than most point and shoots, and can be found for fairly cheap.

And you can build a light box for product photography very easily - get a large cardboard box, cut out one side completely and leave only a frame on 3 other sizes and covered with translucent tissue paper, and line the inside with paper of whatever color/texture you want. All of the materials together cost maybe $15. Lights can cost a bit more depends on how many and what kind you want, as well as type of bulb, but even if you need to buy all of those it still can be done for less than $100. I don't have any pictures of my current lightbox, but here's my old setup when I had a much smaller lightbox that wasn't nearly big enough so I've since replaced it with a bigger one (bought a cardboard box from Lowes):

And
I should have a new lens tonight for my camera! One that does some Macro even! (not suuuper macro, but macro enough)
I'm thinking of celebrating with ass shots.
And seeing us how excited H3XAntiStyle was macro lens might be something you should look at XD

Hey! That was me!

Also for figure photography, you should look for something with macro focus. I have a 28-70mm that I use for mine, and while I've heard it isn't "true" macro (Not entirely sure what they mean by that), it's important that you note that 70mm is pretty much the upper limit for taking photos of figures, unless you very specifically want to *ahem* focus on some points. BUT, even then, having a really nice camera opens up some crop magic, you can still focus.
Example:
Same image used for both, but the second one is a crop of 1920x1080 area in the first one, and it's still SUPER clear. Too clear. I need to dust her.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Also, apparently on MFC if you go to view your collection, and click the "Manage" link it will show you how much you've spent on your entire collection. I shouldn't have seen that.... When I input prices on my figs I've been using the lazy 1:10 dollar to yen ratio, and I've been including shipping, but damn I really need to slow down.

Anyone else brave enough to look?

JESUS PEANUTS BUTTER DA

194 items (¥674,115)

Insane.

Shipping must have been hell with all of those books, they tend to be rather heavy.

Welp...Chrono just said my order is insane. I really need to reevaluate my place in this hobbey. :eek:

Yea shipping was nasty. Art book are my curse but I love them so.

Also no hating on my love for trains....and things

yami4ct

Last haul of the year.

Playing with MP Magnus a bit and holy hell that figure is amazing. Perhaps one of the best Transformers ever. Transformation is simple, elegant and really innovative. Super surprising. Robot is as posable as he needs to be. He could use a waist swivel, but he doesn't lose too much without it. It's really hard to pick between him and MP Wheeljack as the best of the year because they have such different things going for them. Jack is my favorite TF character of all time and having him realized in such a perfect form is super cool. I don't have much attachment to the character of Magnus, but that figure is some of the most fun I've had in some time.

Also built HG Build Burning and that kit is a big surprise as well. Best HG I've ever built. Amazingly engineered and so posable. Build is complex fun in a way HGs just aren't. A lot of love went into this guy and I hope it's indicative of quality of HGs going forward. His chest/shoulder assembly is something that should be integrated into any future HGs that can handle it. It's so good.

Also built HG Build Burning and that kit is a big surprise as well. Best HG I've ever built. Amazingly engineered and so posable. Build is complex fun in a way HGs just aren't. A lot of love went into this guy and I hope it's indicative of quality of HGs going forward. His chest/shoulder assembly is something that should be integrated into any future HGs that can handle it. It's so good.

Build Burning was amazing! So many fun extras. Bandai has been using a similar construction in the G-Reco kits from what I've built.
G-Self and G-Arcane are soooo solid.

cajunator

Banned
Hey! That was me!

Also for figure photography, you should look for something with macro focus. I have a 28-70mm that I use for mine, and while I've heard it isn't "true" macro (Not entirely sure what they mean by that), it's important that you note that 70mm is pretty much the upper limit for taking photos of figures, unless you very specifically want to *ahem* focus on some points. BUT, even then, having a really nice camera opens up some crop magic, you can still focus.
Example:

Same image used for both, but the second one is a crop of 1920x1080 area in the first one, and it's still SUPER clear. Too clear. I need to dust her.

Still one of the best winks in the figure world.

Jobbs

Banned
Last haul of the year.

Playing with MP Magnus a bit and holy hell that figure is amazing. Perhaps one of the best Transformers ever. Transformation is simple, elegant and really innovative. Super surprising. Robot is as posable as he needs to be. He could use a waist swivel, but he doesn't lose too much without it. It's really hard to pick between him and MP Wheeljack as the best of the year because they have such different things going for them. Jack is my favorite TF character of all time and having him realized in such a perfect form is super cool. I don't have much attachment to the character of Magnus, but that figure is some of the most fun I've had in some time.

I saw this, and have been collecting some of the MP autobots, but this one is so dang expensive. I kinda thought it was the MP10 prime mold with some stuff added onto it - is that not the case?

maybe get an unboxed photo or two?

yami4ct

I saw this, and have been collecting some of the MP autobots, but this one is so dang expensive. I kinda thought it was the MP10 prime mold with some stuff added onto it - is that not the case?

Sure! I'll take some photos now, but to give you a base idea I'll start by saying it's not an MP Prime remold at all. They share the same cab design, but that's it. MP Ultra Magnus is designed to work as a one piece transformation, not a robot with armor on top. I assume Takara found it was either too expensive to keep the inner Prime style transformation or the figure would lose too much articulation. Honestly, I think the figure works better this way as it means the transformation is something completely new, slick and interesting.

As for the price, I don't think it's that bad considering how freaking huge he is. You'll see it in photos, but he's significantly taller than MP Prime. He just has more plastic and mass to him as well. A ton of diecast, too. The feet are completely metal and the chest and head both have metal in them. Makes him a really weighty, quality feeling toy. Everyone is going to be more or less price sensitive on figures, but to me he's actually a pretty good value.

Wanderer5

I really don't like Figmas, but Samus is great. Armor looks so much better than skin with articulated joints.

Link Nendo is amazing. The faceplates, poses, and accessories are outstanding.

You can't go wrong with either.

I probably go with Samus, cause maybe it will be easier to get Link nendoroid later on than Samus, but then again that might not be the case. I got Lucina I need to worry about through bleh ( maybe it could be a nice a birthday gift lol) and maybe some type of Miku figure along with that Zero Suit Samus figma that probably won't come till late 2015-2016. Ugh I definitely got some managing to do.XD

Wanderer5

Alright Samus figma bought. Should be getting it Friday.:) I kind of wonder when Zero Suit Samus figma is going to be shown. I think it was announce back in February along with the LBW Link figma and Cordelia scale figure.

apricot

Hey! That was me!

Example:

Thanks for the input! Great pics too :D

yami4ct

Alright, took a bunch of photos that I think get across the main ideas from the figure. Can take some more tomorrow if you want in not-shit lighting that actually show it off well, but this gets the point across.

Size comparison with Prime 2.0, Bee and Wheeljack. As you can see, he towers over all of them. I'd have to get MP Prime 1.0 out of a closed display case to take a photo with him, but I believe he's even taller than that guy.

From the back. Not as clean as maybe he could be. Biggest complaint I've seen online is the kibble on the back. Transforming him, I'm not actually sure what they could have done to make it better, so it doesn't bug me. Still, not as streamlined as something like MP Prime 2.0.

Vehicle mode. Magnus is a tad longer and taller than Prime 2.0, but they're pretty comparable. Magnus has to do a lot more for transformation, so there's way more to his trailer than Prime's.

Cabs are basically exactly the same size/design. Magnus is a bit simplified in the rear and has different seam lines, but otherwise it's striking how same-y they are. Completely different trailer hitches means they can't tow each other's trailers, though.

Trailers by themselves. Again, Magnus' is a bit longer, taller and has more moving parts than Prime's. Prime's has way more paint.

Cab can be transformed by itself, but it really doesn't need to be. Cab actually locks into the trailer hitch, instead of just being a tab in slot like Prime. Means the cab and trailer hold together really well during transformation.

Man why the hell are the Girls und Panzer human figure model kits so darn expensive?
3 1/35(1 inch tall) unpainted girl model kits for $40.
And thats just the opposing commanders, heaven forbid you want the main cast.

Ranger_Chris611419789583.jpeg

$40

yami4ct

I love transformers, those are really cool :>

It's what got me into figure collecting and keeps me around. I should do a full gallery of my collection sometime. Will probably do that once I get that room cleaned up. The Masterpiece line has been pretty incredible in the last few years. It's a huge shame that the distribution of it in the US has been so spotty. Only a few of the figures and they're locked behind Toys 'R Us and some of their shittiest practices. Not to mention the scalpers that always get all over them.

Just saw I forgot one small step in the transformation. The head joint actually pulls forward towards the chest. If his head looks set a bit too far back, that's why.

Jobbs

Banned
Alright, took a bunch of photos that I think get across the main ideas from the figure. Can take some more tomorrow if you want in not-shit lighting that actually show it off well, but this gets the point across.

Size comparison with Prime 2.0, Bee and Wheeljack. As you can see, he towers over all of them. I'd have to get MP Prime 1.0 out of a closed display case to take a photo with him, but I believe he's even taller than that guy.

From the back. Not as clean as maybe he could be. Biggest complaint I've seen online is the kibble on the back. Transforming him, I'm not actually sure what they could have done to make it better, so it doesn't bug me. Still, not as streamlined as something like MP Prime 2.0.

Vehicle mode. Magnus is a tad longer and taller than Prime 2.0, but they're pretty comparable. Magnus has to do a lot more for transformation, so there's way more to his trailer than Prime's.

Cabs are basically exactly the same size/design. Magnus is a bit simplified in the rear and has different seam lines, but otherwise it's striking how same-y they are. Completely different trailer hitches means they can't tow each other's trailers, though.

Trailers by themselves. Again, Magnus' is a bit longer, taller and has more moving parts than Prime's. Prime's has way more paint.

Cab can be transformed by itself, but it really doesn't need to be. Cab actually locks into the trailer hitch, instead of just being a tab in slot like Prime. Means the cab and trailer hold together really well during transformation.

holy shit, he's huge. XD

man, that's great stuff. I'd love to put him on the shelf and load up my autobots in his trailer. That would make me happier than perhaps it should. XD

so far I've got:

sideswipe
prowl
bluestreak
smokescreen
red alert
bumblebee
wheeljack

I've been collecting them pretty much as they come out, because the car autobots were a childhood infatuation of mine, especially bluestreak/prowl. I used to draw pictures of those two in my notebook all day. in terms of the figures, I think smokescreen is actually one of my favorites -- his colors just pop so much and are so perfect. that whole mold is rather good, too (bluestreak/prowl/smokescreen) -- it's a bit tricky to transform, but I don't care much about that as long as it looks great. I mostly display them in vehicle form.

hope they do ratchet.

taoofjord

You guys were right... why didn't I listen? This hobby is a very slippery slope indeed. It started out with me looking for a couple non-video games to put on my Christmas list in early December. I came across a few of my favorite Pokemon at Toys R Us while shopping for a gift for my niece, so I added those to my wish list. Next thing I know, as of tonight I now own:

Nendoroid
Link
Isabelle
Red

Figma
Link
Samus

Super Robot Chogokin
Gurren Lagann
Mazinger Z
Mazinger Z weapon kit
Getter 1

S.H. Figuarts
Mario

Other
Stacking Kirby
Pokemon: Greninja, Hawlucha, Fennikin, Braixin & Delphox

Pre-ordered:
Nendoroid - Mario
Figma - Lucina
Revoltech - Lupin III
Revoltech - Jigen

On my wishlist:
S.H. Figuarts Luigi and Accessory Packs A & B
Sentinel Getter 1 and Black Getter
Soul of Chogokin The New Adventures of Gigantor
And REALLLLY hoping we get that teased Mega Man Nendoroid

Fortunately I'm not big on anime, especially the kind that gets all the figures, so at least this new hobby of mine won't spiral totally out of control.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
So Hot Toy Vader is up on Sideshow for $300, which means he'd cost me about £280/$437...

Gonna have to sleep on this, and wait an see what the UK sellers are gonna ask for, or I might might jump the fuck off this Star Wars train before it derails and ties up all my money for the next few years...

So Hot Toy Vader is up on Sideshow for $300, which means he'd cost me about £280/$437...

Gonna have to sleep on this, and wait an see what the UK sellers are gonna ask for, or I might might jump the fuck off this Star Wars train before it derails and ties up all my money for the next few years...

You're gonna do it.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So. After some cutting and gluing I've made my first miniature couch.

Learned a lot; much things to improve.

* The yellow foam shines through - whoops.
* Improve cutting notches and folding the cloth.
* Add some short leg supports.
* Don't use corrugated cardboard, it leaves a lot of awkward openings. I have wood and styrene sheets at the ready. I want smoother edges.

Biggest issue however is that I didn't make it deep enough:

Her big Nendoroid head prevents her from sitting properly on the seat edge.

If I flip the chair she sits fine, so I'll use that depth the next time.

Here's my Top 10 Figures of 2014

10. Figma Eren
jLSJ5fj.jpg

My personal opinions on Eren's character aside, this fig is an essential for AoT fans. Though it's the cheapest Eren figure, the detail and the sheer amount of poses that you can recreate makes it worth the buy. In my opinion it was one of the best Figmas released this year.

9. S.H. Monsterarts Godzilla 2014
yNGuMEY.jpg

I went to see Godzilla on opening night, and I left completely satisfied. Needless to say I now feel like shit for not buying this figure. What is there to say? It's the real G-Unit in all his glory ready to kick some kaiju ass.

8. Nendoroid Red
5XXvhg6.jpg

This is the pokemon figure that we've all been waiting for. Ash? Brock? Misty? Fuck those guys, there is only the true pokemon master: Red. So why is he so low on the list? Purely because of his exclusivity. At first he was a Japan exclusive, but now he's available in the US as well; all the other countries though? NOPE. I guess Good Smile just hates everyone but Americans.
Shout out to omlet for being an awesome proxy!

7. Nendoriod Wind Waker Link
rBums8o.jpg

Sure, you can just buy the Link Figma and say that you own a Link figure, but then there's this little guy. Simply put, there is no other way to perfectly capture Toon Link in figure form, the Nendoroid line is the was appropriate avenue to do the character justice. It's small, cute, and comes with a buttload of accessories just like the real Toon Link. I'm not into Nendos myself, so that's why I'm putting this at #7.

6. 1/7 Shiro
DCmRfrE.jpg

I skipped out on this one because I No Game No Life didn't catch my interest, but I can't deny that this figure looks amazing. The hair is the most prominent eye-catcher here and it looks stunning, but I like the little chessboard that she's sitting on. That being said, it also has a very lovely base.

5. Satsuki Prize Figure
tumblr_nh22n1Zr7l1rirdwco1_500.jpg

It's a shame that Phat Satsuki was delayed, but at least we had this to keep us satisfied. This is great figure for people who aren't into collecting lewd figs, and for a prize figure Sega shows its superiority once again. This is probably the most iconic pose that the character is known for, and I love that there is a base for her sword Bakuzan (that's why I put her on the list instead of her Ryuko counterpart).

4. Phat Ryuko
q9MXtL1.jpg

Speaking of Ryuko, here she is! I really regret not buying her now after I ordered Phat Satsuki, but nonetheless here she is. Despite her revealing outfit, the pose does a lot to actually hide most of her skin when looked at from the right angle. Overall great figure, 8/10.

3. 1/8 Madoka
sscDkbe.jpg

Man just look at this, Good Smile pulls through time and time again with their Madoka figs and this one is by far one of the best. If I didn't own Ultimate Madoka I would have bought this in an instant. I think the bow and the ruffles in her dress especially nice, very detailed, would make a great edition to any Madoka collection or any figure collection in general.

2. Excellent Model Space Dandy
BNaCup7.jpg

This is the coolest figure on this list. Period. I mean just look at that pompadour! What really surprised be most about this figure is the base it came with. I thought it was just going to be a regular based with the Space Dandy logo stamped on it, but to my surprise I found that it was the Aloha Oe insignia instead. A simple figure with great detail, wish I had enough money to buy Honey and complete the set.

1. Alter's 1/7 Asuka
tumblr_nf971hkwOo1rirdwco1_500.jpg

I'm not a huge Evangelion fan, I didn't even like the original series that much, however I did enjoy the Rebuild movies.I heard that some people had problems with the base pegs and some other errors for this figure, but mine turned out to be perfect. Everything about this figure is great, the hat, the jersey, and the hair all look fucking incredible. I didn't know that it came with alternate parts when I ordered it, but I'm glad that you have the option for a vanilla Asuka with a second head piece without the hat; the extra arm that makes it look like both of her hands are in her pockets is great too. There is literally nothing bad about this figure, it's just great to look at and that's why it's my #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom