• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Call me crazy but when it comes to Gundam characters I prefer to get Gashapons over the really nice figures.

Have Loran, Sochie and Kihel with the Turn A Gunpla,
Wing cast with their Gundams(though similar scale to the Turn A figures these came unpainted with the old Endless Waltz kits)
00 cast with theirs.
finally a few G and SEED characters with theirs.
Well you can certainly get a better selection with those figures. The higher quality figs are pretty limited, especially for anything that isn't 00 or SEED.

There's just no way I can pass on those Rain, Haman, Sochie, and Allenby figs though. They're so good.

Acid08

Banned
So one thing I've been wondering recently re: Love Live figures: why have there been so few high quality scale figures released? With how insanely popular it is right now wouldn't figure companies want to jump on it? Seems like there really are mostly lower quality prize figures out for the series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Saw this face for only 10k! BARGAIN!

QT44f8Z.png

Then I clicked on it and found that it was NSFW. Wow...

Hey Figure-GAF! First time posting in this thread but I figured why not start off the new year by pre-ordering the Marika Tachibana Nendo and the Seishiro Tsugumi Nendo and joining Figure-GAF in the process. Time to wait and cry at my wallet now!

chrono01

Hey Figure-GAF! First time posting in this thread but I figured why not start off the new year by pre-ordering the Marika Tachibana Nendo and the Seishiro Tsugumi Nendo and joining Figure-GAF in the process. Time to wait and cry at my wallet now!
We welcome you.

Hue-Hue-Hue. Another joins our ranks...

Settin

U R Alredy Ded

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So one thing I've been wondering recently re: Love Live figures: why have there been so few high quality scale figures released? With how insanely popular it is right now wouldn't figure companies want to jump on it? Seems like there really are mostly lower quality prize figures out for the series.

Prize figures for popular series means people pumping the crane machines full of mullah.

Though when I was in Japan it was pretty easy to find those same figures in the second hand stores.

raven777

we have one great one from GSC out, and we are getting 3 from Alter. I am sure we will get more in the future.

I thought GSC was going to do all 9 of them but it seems like they are only doing Honoka...(which seems like it didn't sell too well....consider they still have it on amiami)

Bombless

Mammon is here!....and I don't remember ordering the version with the coins purse. Opened the brown box in my father's living room and got greeted by topless Mammon with a glass of wine. Then my father's girlfriend said she wanted it to carry her pens/pencils to school (she's learning french).

Does anybody know if there's a fairly recent list of Nendo's? I wouldn't mind getting a couple, so outside of the few I already know about I wouldn't mind seeing what there is.

Einbroch

Banned

Welcome! Aren't Nendos just the greatest?

Hey, I posted "nice haul" last time.

The CULT is a no judgment zone. The scalies in this thread are the monsters.

Well I think we both share a few preorders anyways but here are the Nendos I have on order. Last huge month! Thankfully

Nendoroid - Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki: Tina
Nendoroid - Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Devil Homura
Nendoroid - Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- Amatsukaze
Nendoroid - Magica Wars: Naruko Aoba
Nendoroid - Sakura Wars 3: Erica Fontaine & Koubu-F2
Nendoroid - Engaged to the Unidentified: Mashiro Mitsumine

Expect some to get delayed. Thinking Devil Homura will

Also I am looking at Target for my shelves. These two have my attention.

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-interlocking-display-shelf-with-2-led-candles-espresso/-/A-15033574#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=threshold+shelves

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-set-of-2-fashion-shelves-with-2-led-candles/-/A-13507804#prodSlot=medium_1_62&term=threshold+shelves

Leaning towards the first one.

Einbroch

Banned

I see some overlap as well! :p

Target has great shelves. Honestly, I believe they're better than "office furniture" stores like Office Depot/Maxx. My bookshelf looks incredible for being only $30. Personally, I would lean towards the second one only because some Nendos/scales (though I assume Nendos with that size) have some accessories and such that would limit what you could fit. But I agree it looks better, I just like flexibility.

I see some overlap as well! :p

Target has great shelves. Honestly, I believe they're better than "office furniture" stores like Office Depot/Maxx. My bookshelf looks incredible for being only $30. Personally, I would lean towards the second one only because some Nendos/scales (though I assume Nendos with that size) have some accessories and such that would limit what you could fit. But I agree it looks better, I just like flexibility.

Only planning to put Nendos on these honestly. I think it would be fun with the first one to have them in different spots. I do like both....might get a set of the second one for some scales or games.

omlet

Well, while we're talking about shelves (and speaking of Target shelves, I really need to go look at those... really liking how that one looked full of Nendos lol) and all waiting for the big new year preowned update on Amiami, here's an update on my shelving project to pass some time (re-linking for any newcomers who care).

First off, as an aside, I've decided I need to re-do the double sided tape for my lights. The cardboard idea I used in initial setup is working for what I wanted (to face the lights inwards a bit) but the problem is a few of the lights aren't sticking very well and on some of them the taped cardboard parts are coming loose. I need to get some new double-sided foam tape because only having two application points is not enough.

Secondly, the raiser(s) I mentioned I was going to build finished the building phase yesterday! My dad had some time off over the holidays so we got his tools out and I got to work.
osUizFD.jpg

I was fortunate that 72"x16" is a standard piece of lumber. This is exactly the perfect size for holding 4 DETOLF so I didn't have to do any cutting for the top/bottom pieces. That Canada pine.

zbHfwcK.jpg

PSRve74.jpg

I cut an 8 foot piece and 6 foot piece into 14 pieces that were 16"x12"; these will be the supports.

KtyD1oZ.jpg

Measure twice, cut once. I messed up one cut (not this one pictured) and had to go buy more wood, haha.

wIAEUvL.jpg

Once I had all 14 supports/shelves, I trimmed a 1/4" strip off the 12" side to make room for the 1/4" plywood backing.

TeWC0Oi.jpg

8AzPU3x.jpg

After many hours of measuring and sawing, finally time to start assembly (and frequent squaring). The supports/shelves are centered one foot apart in order to provide plenty of support. A DETOLF is a little over 1 foot wide, and since 4 of them means about 400lb of weight I wanted to make sure there was no way for there to be a DETOLF on here without a support directly under it.

XLfM58P.jpg

I hope this doesn't turn out to be an amateur mistake that really causes problems later, but anyway because it was a half the price of buying a huge piece of plywood and having a ton left over, I cut up a 4'x4' plywood sheet in to two 1'x4' and two 1'x2' planks to fit across the 1'x6' back. This meant that where the two plywood pieces met that that particular support would not have the plywood screwed to it, but with 6 out of 7 being secured, I think it will be strong enough anyway.

ynzQXv6.jpg

All together. The piece on the top in this picture has a bit of a bow to it which is why there is a small gap there. Once I finished nailing the rest of the nails in, the gap mostly went away, and will go away completely when stuff is on top of it.

S2KWu8k.jpg

Plywood backing for structural strength to prevent the whole thing from doing a "domino" style sideways collapse when weight is placed on top.

hpBNoa8.jpg

Both of them finally assembled and with a first application of wood putty and sanding done!

This took a whole lot more time than I expected (as in it took about 12 hours to build two of them and I was expecting more like 6-8) but it's my first time doing any carpentry more precise than building a deer blind or propping up a broken barb wire fence post. The assembly itself was quick but all the measuring and sawing took the better part of two whole afternoons. Lots of learning experience!

They're in my garage now waiting to have the resin cleaned off so I can get started on the primer/paint.

So far the cost has been about $130 (but that includes some things that will not be fully used up, like nail/screw/tool stuff). Paint will be the final expense. Compared to some pre-made furniture, this isn't really a cost saving project, but the DIY factor is fun, and even if it isn't as pretty as something from a furniture store, it fits my specific need.

Probably will be another week or two before I get them finished due to the nature of touch-up and paint needing multiple passes with downtime in between them. Then comes the fun of emptying all my DETOLF shelves out and getting them set up on top of one of these new shelves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom