• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Thank Godoka for Meyneth. Magic Eraser tip did the trick for that stubborn spot on Madoka's face.
sxybrSO.jpg

StayDead

Seriously, it was still a huge pain still even to repack them WITH THE BOXES but when i moved this summer everything was safe and sound. The only piece I didn't repack was Nuclear Fusion Rin, just because she is a pain. so i wound up driving her to the storage in the passanger seat of my car, and then again from the storage unit after we closed on the house.

I can't imagine going through this without the original packaging, and if I ever move back to the west coast, God help me even with the boxes.

As someone who's packing now I can attest to how much better I feel now especially my scale figures are all safely packed in their boxes. Had I had trouble getting them off my bases I would've been terrified they were going to break if they wasn't in the boxes.

omlet

How does one clean dust off figures? Compressed air seems like a bad idea.

Compressed air is a bad idea.

Use microfiber cloth, dust brush, air bladder, water if needed (dry it off so more dust doesn't stick).

Basically, just get one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080JH3YE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or use same/similar things you have laying around already.

Edit: Fingers, t-shirts, qtips, and blowing on them with your own lung power also work!

RMI

Banned

I use an ostrich feather duster and dust about once every week or two, blowing on the hard to reach areas helps get that dust off easily. One thing you want to be mindful of is kitchen grease, which will make dust cling to anything you have if you don't clean it often. If you don't have a good extractor over your stove, and maybe even if you do, keep your figures away from anywhere where they might be exposed to tiny grease particles from the kitchen. That shit will fuck everything up over time.

Giolon

Compressed air is completely fine. Just make sure you don't tilt the can so that the liquid propellant comes out. The problem is, it just doesn't get all the dust off. Even after a few blasts of air, you'll notice that there's still a physical layer of dust clinging via static electricity or whatever means, and the only way to remove is it physically.

omlet

Because it's expensive and you risk spraying propellant on your figures (low risk, sure, but still) and if it's too strong you could be blasting grit into the paint job and also:
Compressed air is completely fine. Just make sure you don't tilt the can so that the liquid propellant comes out. The problem is, it just doesn't get all the dust off. Even after a few blasts of air, you'll notice that there's still a physical layer of dust clinging via static electricity or whatever means, and the only way to remove is it physically.

So IMO don't buy it for the purpose of cleaning your figures.

Went on a trip to visit my Brother over the weekend in DC. Ended up going to a shop called eStarland. Mostly retro games and systems but they had the entire back wall filled with figures. They had a small selection of Nendos as well. They must of had about 30-50 Nendo Links and 30 Figma Samus sitting around lol.

I was to weak to leave empty handed and picked up the Rin Nendo....

Went on a trip to visit my Brother over the weekend in DC. Ended up going to a shop called eStarland. Mostly retro games and systems but they had the entire back wall filled with figures. They had a small selection of Nendos as well. They must of had about 30-50 Nendo Links and 30 Figma Samus sitting around lol.

Giving in to good taste is not weak bro.

53037965.jpg

javac

Was looking at some shelving units for my Blu-rays and books and such and also maybe a place for my figures. Probably end up getting a small plain bookcase but thought I'd see how much detolfs go for. Didn't think they would be so cheap. Only £40? Too tall for where I want to put it however, and of course it wouldn't fix my Blu-ray/book storage issue lol :p

Giolon

Because it's expensive and you risk spraying propellant on your figures (low risk, sure, but still) and if it's too strong you could be blasting grit into the paint job and also:

So IMO don't buy it for the purpose of cleaning your figures.

The paint layer isn't that fragile in my experience. It seems like a theoretical rather than practical risk.

Giolon

I have one of those for cleaning my camera lenses, but the same problem with the canned air goes for those: it won't remove the dust that's clinging through static or whatever to the surface of the figure. It's certainly going to blow off any lose dust, but using a nice soft lens or model cleaning brush is needed to get the rest of it off.

omlet

Finally got Kongo set up. Tedious to get her set up, and with the ship attached to her back she can't really move her head. Still looks really good. And the chair and teacup extras are bueno.

Bii

Finally got Kongo set up. Tedious to get her set up, and with the ship attached to her back she can't really move her head. Still looks really good. And the chair and teacup extras are bueno.

That looks great!

I just watched the first episode of KanColle...hmm... $_$

Boogiepop

So, I've been thinking I want to pick up the Jubilee Bishoujo statue when that comes out, and I figure it'd probably be a good idea to put down a preorder. What's the best place to do that?

Bombless

So, I've been thinking I want to pick up the Jubilee Bishoujo statue when that comes out, and I figure it'd probably be a good idea to put down a preorder. What's the best place to do that?

Amiami if you want her as soon as she's available, Amazon if you're willing to wait a month or two.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
A figure I ordered from amiami on Jan 12th using SAL shipping is already in my local post office. I can't believe it is actually faster than EMS or DHL, it usually took at least 2 weeks.

Amiami if you want her as soon as she's available, Amazon if you're willing to wait a month or two.

Jubilee bishoujo is already out. Any of the Japanese shops should be able to fill your order. I would try AmiAmi or Hobbysearch first.

Boogiepop

Jubilee bishoujo is already out. Any of the Japanese shops should be able to fill your order. I would try AmiAmi or Hobbysearch first.

Thanks guys. I didn't realize it was out (Amazon delay on that, I guess)! I created an AmiAmi account, but the one thing that was throwing me off was the shipping. I've never had a site go to complete an order with absolutely no indication of shipping cost. What should I expect that to be around, and which one should I be selecting, with the understanding that I'm not terribly concerned about speed?

Thanks guys. I didn't realize it was out (Amazon delay on that, I guess)! I created an AmiAmi account, but the one thing that was throwing me off was the shipping. I've never had a site go to complete an order with absolutely no indication of shipping cost. What should I expect that to be around, and which one should I be selecting, with the understanding that I'm not terribly concerned about speed?

EMS is super fast and super pricey. I usually go SAL registered (will take about 2 weeks from Japan). Never use SAL Parcel, ever.

SAL will generally be about 1.5k JPY or so on one figure. Maybe $10-$12.

darklin0

Banned
A figure I ordered from amiami on Jan 12th using SAL shipping is already in my local post office. I can't believe it is actually faster than EMS or DHL, it usually took at least 2 weeks.

Same for me. I noticed that if I get it through EMS it lands in San Francisco and sits in customs for up to 2 weeks so total time it takes to arrive is around 3 weeks most of the time. If I use SAL it lands in L.A. and it arrives at my house in a couple of days making it a week and a half tops.

I always had the opposite experience with SAL and EMS.

EMS will usually come to SF, clear customs in like less than a day and be delivered in one to two. I think it takes longer for it to just leave Japan. I usually get stuff in like 5 days.

SAL usually ends up going down to LA, so it usually takes like 2-3 weeks to get here.

What's wrong with SAL Parcel? Slow?

SAL Parcel is the price of EMS with the speed of SAL Registered. No reason to pay for slow service unless you are trying to time it or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom