• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

I had no idea Wo class nendo lit up. That's awesome.

In other news, my Beelzebub should be in today or tomorrow. Probably going to miss the delivery and have to go pick up from the PO on the weekend. :s

And in further other news, my RO Archbishop nendo package still has not shown up since it scanned out of Japan on the 6th :(

Giolon

that piece still isnt a source piece for the character though

regardless, the source material for a character will always be the media they were released in, be it game, anime, comic, movie etc, concept and other art pieces are not the source as it pertains to representing the character.

You don't have to see it that way, but it isn't incorrect

Of course it's the source piece for the character!
SEGA asked Raita for concept art, he provided those, and then SEGA based the game designs based on that concept art! That's the whole point of concept art.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that art post dated the actual character conceptualizing phase and was an extra piece he did.

Otherwise then you are right on the source art, but my main point was the second part, and that wouldnt change that. My second point of course is far more subjective

While the art for this latest Vertex figure was indeed created long after Valkyria Chronicles released (according to my research it was created for the Valkyria Duel browser card game), it's also by Raita and consistent with his usual style. In fact, you can see Selvaria (and most of the other characters) drawn in his style in the Design Archive art book for the game:

I6TMYTg.jpg
Uz4xkCd.jpg

In fact, there's even concept art for Selvaria in the Design Archive in his same style for an earlier version of the beach chapter:
(How I wish Alter had gone with this original swimsuit design over the slightly modified one they used for the swimsuit figure, but obviously more boob exposure = more sales right? - there was new art created by Raita for that figure too)

So yes, while obviously the figure and the art doesn't exactly match the style that ended up being put in the game, this all comes from the brain of the creator of the character in the first place. And yes, it's perfectly ok to prefer the in-game style over the concept art or original designers style! In fact, I prefer it too - as a more mainstream, less fanservice-y style that stays somewhat truer to realistic proportions.

But that also doesn't take away from the fact that I really enjoy Raita's own style! So I am pretty stoked to get a new figure of Selvaria, in the creators style!
I do wish her boobs were a bit less prominent though - I'm glad the figure toned them down a bit.

My favorite VC character artwork done by Raita in his original style is Rosie. I can't find a good copy of it online though. :( I can take a picture of it later.
Edit: Aha! I forgot I took a picture of it myself for the original VC1 thread:

Still tempted by Selvaria. I think I will go on MFC for a bit and see how thier other figures turned out.

EDIT: Not horrible but some of their Senran figures look ok compared to the prototype. Think I will hold off for now.

omlet

The 30th will have been 20 postal business days, so if it doesn't show up by then I'll raise some hell.

Still tempted by Selvaria. I think I will go on MFC for a bit and see how thier other figures turned out.

I don't have any Vertex figures yet but this one is on the way so I can report on its quality when it arrives which should be by the end of the month (7k on mandarake for a swordgirl with SUPER ANIME nice costume design...I couldn't resist). User photos actually look quite good so I have my hopes up a little.

omlet

How about a Marina figure, either that or
Valkyria Alicia

Marina? Mah man. A Catherine might be fine, too.

What's honestly a surprise to me is that I don't know of any Edy scales. She was popular enough to get her own DLC. You'd think she'd be an easy choice for a figure.
I'd probably buy one.

Ultimadrago

Three colors, too! Red, orange, and green.

You kept this secret to keep the nendo for yourself! Monster.

My favorite VC character artwork done by Raita in his original style is Rosie. I can't find a good copy of it online though. :( I can take a picture of it later.
Edit: Aha! I forgot I took a picture of it myself for the original VC1 thread:

You're just reminding me that no Rosie scale figure. *sob*

omlet

I want to know how the hell Aliasse is getting a figure before any other character from VC1?
Don't underestimate annoying white-haired loli powers.

Ugh, VC2 was a lot of fun but damn the story was so bad, and she was terrible. Normally I like designs like hers but I felt nothing but nope whenever she was involved.

NotLiquid

I ought to probably play Valkyria Chronicles and figure out whether I want that Selvaria figure or not. Though I will say her design certainly has caught my eye for quite some time.

I ought to probably play Valkyria Chronicles and figure out whether I want that Selvaria figure or not. Though I will say her design certainly has caught my eye for quite some time.

I have settled on no. If I am already on the fence then it's a sign I should just admire it through my fellow FigureGaf members.

But that's just me, and my new line of money saving mindset.

The only dolls I would buy are the ones that are some girls from the war, couldn't find pictures to show here. They are around 20k yen.

Screw you AmiAmi and your jurassic search mode.

NotLiquid

I have settled on no. If I am already on the fence then it's a sign I should just admire it through my fellow FigureGaf members.

But that's just me, and my new line of money saving mindset.

For me it's not so much a matter of money but a matter of space. I need to move out lmao.

I would have stopped a while ago if figure collecting wasn't such a limited fair. Oh if only I could just order half of this stuff at a reasonable price a year or so later. For now I'll have to settle with a super crowded glass shelf.

For me it's not so much a matter of money but a matter of space. I need to move out lmao.

I would have stopped a while ago if figure collecting wasn't such a limited fair. Oh if only I could just order half of this stuff at a reasonable price a year or so later. For now I'll have to settle with a super crowded glass shelf.

I am right there with ya lol, least till later in the year when I move.

Right now my room is slowly being taken over by Nendos, not like I am complaining.

I want to know how the hell Aliasse is getting a figure before any other character from VC1?

I would like to know what the hell is happening in Aliasse's figure. Did Alter just decide to go bananas to beef up the price? I only played the first game, so I don't even know who she is. Spoilers are okay.

Acid08

Banned
Last Mandarake package came in!

Kotori prize fig:

Wave Rise:

Nami 15th Anniversary prize fig

Super happy with all of them. Was really stoked they made a figure of Nami in that outfit, it's the one I use in Unlimited World Red. Wave Rise is amazing, perfect representation of her. Kotori fig is just as high quality as the others in that line.

That was it for my current Mandarake orders. Just waiting on AmiAmi payment requests now.

StayDead

I don't want that wo class.

I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class.
I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class.

I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class. I don't want that wo class.

Acid08

Banned
You know, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone fall so deep into this so quickly. Well done.

This is me with literally every hobby I get into :lol

Though like I've said before, I lurked this thread for a looooong time before finally buying any. Making up for lost time I guess :p

This is me with literally every hobby I get into :lol

Though like I've said before, I lurked this thread for a looooong time before finally buying any. Making up for lost time I guess :p
dont worry mate, I spent 1200 on my first PC, then 2700 on my second, and then 1k on GPU upgrades, and currently have 4 gaming PCs

youd have to sink pretty far into a hobby to pull the shit I do

omlet

Give me this as a figure

Mah. Man.

I would like to know what the hell is happening in Aliasse's figure. Did Alter just decide to go bananas to beef up the price? I only played the first game, so I don't even know who she is. Spoilers are okay.
I have played VC2 and I still couldn't tell you what's up with that figure. She never really does anything like that in the game. I tried to block VC2's crappy writing out of my memory so I may have some details wrong, but IIRC she is a
artificial valkyrie created by applying SCIENCE to her when she was a baby/child, cue sob stories. You 'save' her because that's what ONIIIIICHAAAAAN spunky male MCs do to girls in JRPGs and she joins your army as a scout class because that's what lolis do in JRPGs. Like basically everything about VC2's story and majority of the cast, she is terrible.

omlet went down the Nendo hole hard.

Yeah, but I already had a few dozen scales so I was already collecting and well aware of nendos, I just managed to resist them until Suigintou came along and broke me. Acid has gone from like zero to Leeroy in just a few weeks.

Mah. Man.

I have played VC2 and I still couldn't tell you what's up with that figure. She never really does anything like that in the game. I tried to block VC2's crappy writing out of my memory so I may have some details wrong, but IIRC she is a
artificial valkyrie created by applying SCIENCE to her when she was a baby/child, cue sob stories. You 'save' her because that's what ONIIIIICHAAAAAN spunky male MCs do to girls in JRPGs and she joins your army as a scout class because that's what lolis do in JRPGs. Like basically everything about VC2's story and majority of the cast, she is terrible.
its amazing, I literally can't remember anything of VC2 other than hating the battlefields getting split into zones, which completely killed the gameplay that was so amazing in VC1.

The story though, nothing you said even rings a bell. I think thats awesome because I know I don't want to remember it.

Last Mandarake package came in!

Kotori prize fig:

Wave Rise:

Nami 15th Anniversary prize fig

Super happy with all of them. Was really stoked they made a figure of Nami in that outfit, it's the one I use in Unlimited World Red. Wave Rise is amazing, perfect representation of her. Kotori fig is just as high quality as the others in that line.

That was it for my current Mandarake orders. Just waiting on AmiAmi payment requests now.

That Rise is my favorite of all the Rise figures. Proudly have that on the shelf.

Luigi87

If F4F would switch to PVC instead of using polystone, then their products would be affordable!

I mean, once upon a time they were affordable (such as the Skull Kid, and Sheik I have), but these days... Ha!

SoldnerKei

Has First 4 Figures Windwaker Ganondorf been mentioned yet?:

Link

maybe if I look it from afar... lol at that price hell no

I mean if ZSS got a decent figure(Other M haters gonna hate), why Zelda trio cannot have an affordable good figure? :c

oh well, I'll keep waiting for FE figures & whenever they choose to show Cordelia

I mean, once upon a time they were affordable (such as the Skull Kid, and Sheik I have), but these days... Ha!

ur lucky, me jelly :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom