• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Femto.

It is. Only the buns are GSC shop exclusive. GSC shop exclusives are, so far, not feeling like necessities. The day they start removing things that should be included in the base Nendo is the the day I start leaving this hobby.

But, luckily, they're just extra-bits and aren't really things that make the Nendo who they are.

So is personifying a sign that you're too far into the rabbit hole to come back up to the surface?

Einbroch

Banned
So is personifying a sign that you're far into the rabbit hole to come back up to the surface?

The second you hit the pre-order button for the first time you're doomed.

I honestly talk to my Nendos sometimes. Not like, have conversations with them, but I sometimes say good morning to Miku or whatever.

Maybe I shouldn't have typed that.

johnsmith

remember me
I honestly talk to my Nendos sometimes. Not like, have conversations with them, but I sometimes say good morning to Miku or whatever.

Maybe I shouldn't have typed that.

0CvCK6f.gif

Einbroch

Banned
I blame my mother.

When I lived at home she would talk to herself all the time. She'd talk to the spoon like "I'm not sure if I need you, what do you think?" when setting the table. She talked to the dogs, like have actual conversations with them.

...guys dun be meen

kewlmyc

It is. Only the buns are GSC shop exclusive. GSC shop exclusives are, so far, not feeling like necessities. The day they start removing things that should be included in the base Nendo is the the day I start leaving this hobby.

But, luckily, they're just extra-bits and aren't really things that make the Nendo who they are.

With reason! Prices going sky high (28k Bayo gtfo), more and more figures being delayed (outside of the normal Alter delays), obvious figures not being made (seriously, no Chaika Nendo?), and so on, this hobby can piss people off. Luckily, the weakening Yen has been a pretty great turn of events.

To be fair, the Chaika anime just premiered in Spring. Too early for a nendo announcement. Wait till next year.

Chance

This is my first-ever post on NeoGAF, and I hope you'll indulge me, as it's a long one.

I've always been much more of a gamer than a figure guy. My "figure" collection consisted entirely of those ugly statues that (occasionally) come from special editions, and a few thirty-dollar toys I was able to get from local hobby shops (BioShock's Bouncer, Kratos, etc.)

There's always been a very special place in my gamer heart for Vanillaware - the devs who made Odin Sphere and Muramasa and Dragon's Crown - and, though I'd known about a gorgeous figure of Gwendolyn for years (I prefer Sif's to Alter's), I never took the plunge. But that Momohime from Alter, man... that thing is so gorgeous... and I love Muramasa and Momohime in particular so much, but what then?

Then I'd be one of those People Who Have Japanese PVC Figures. I'd be one of those people with $100 dolls, and there but for the grace of God go I.

But still... I watched Momo on Amazon as the price went up and up and up following her release (Amazon, because I knew no better). The price kept climbing and I'd go to nerd cons and, deep in my gamer heart, I knew I was longing to find Momo there. I was always so disappointed when I didn't.

Finally, in late 2013, I cracked. I went to Amazon and paid two hundred of my dollars plus tax plus shipping for Alter's Momohime. She's incredible - but I don't have to tell you that.

I didn't know, at the time, that Alter's Momohime is one of these storied pieces that everyone sort of agrees is the Cadillac of figures - but you did.

The year leading up to Momo's purchase, I fell deeply in love with Dragon's Crown on my Vita, and the Amazon character in particular. Then Megahouse announced their figures - figures that did a ridiculously good job of recreating Kamitani's concept art in three dimensions, and of course... Well, I mean of course I was going to try to get the Amazon.

And I don't need to tell you that the Elf's sculpt, in particular, is incredible - such a beautifully kinetic pose, such attention to detail - that it would be a shame not to get her. And if you're going to get two, might as well complete the set - but those were months away.

In the mean time, I ordered Sif's Gwendolyn from Amazon. I knew no better. Sif's Gwendolyn is a good reproduction of the concept art - not a great one - but she was the first figure I ever really desired, and a better representation of the character, I feel, than Alter's. Once I'd taken the plunge with Momo, getting Gwen seemed the natural next step.

At that point, it was clear, a switch had fired somewhere deep within me. I got every Funko POP Adventure Time character.

1.jpg

Megahouse's Elf arrived, and for our anniversary my girlfriend bought me the Black and White Harley Quinn by Bruce Timm. For my birthday, she bought me the Amazon, and by then I'd been lurking this thread for months.

Amazon is supernaturally-bad for pre-ordering figures, but you folks already knew that. I knew they hadn't sent me my Sorceress after she'd been released, for example, because you told me about MyFigureCollection.net, and its beautifully-updated information.

I got my Sorceress from AmiAmi because of you, FigureGAF. And you were right to send me there. She showed up five days after payment, with a weekend in between.

A month or so ago, my lady and I were attending a comic con, and suddenly I shot away from her and came to a screetching stop in front of a little square box.

"What is that?" she asked.

"That is the Ryuko Matoi Nendoroid," I explained, as if that explained anything. I'd had no idea what a Nendo was, until you showed me one and I was like "awww!"

Mako followed shortly after (AmiAmi).

You taught me, FigureGAF. You taught me where to find out the latest news about the figures I care about,

DJ1a35A.png

you taught me where to order them

jP6N4RV.png

and you taught me how to put together a gorgeous set-up for them just by visiting Ikea.

b9pjB1V.png

You showed me the way. The where and the how. And I get the why.

Thank you.

Bombless

Amazing first post, sir. FigureGAF lurker, Kamitani admirer AND Oglaf reader? You and I are brothers! (btw Oglaf Book 2 is out!)

And damn does Tiki look good with the rest of the cast. She definitely shot up in my priority list.

Chance

Amazing first post, sir. FigureGAF lurker, Kamitani admirer AND Oglaf reader? You and I are brothers! (btw Oglaf Book 2 is out!)

giphy.gif

But if you didn't already order one with a custom plate of original art from Trudy Cooper (and signed!) it's too late - they're sold out! (I got Greir)

And damn does Tiki look good with the rest of the cast. She definitely shot up in my priority list.

She does. No regrets on Tiki. I love how one side of each coin has the Vanillaware logo on it - and no picture really captures it, but her hair is actually really multi-faceted. There are a lot of reds and oranges in there.

So you're gonna get the next Velvet that pops up on amiami right?

Hnnng.

Holy shit, they finally released book two?!

It's awesome, it's got the whole Fun God arc.

Stay, enjoy, post, ogle, and spend.

You mentioned you know of MFC, want to link your profile here so we all can be bestest fwiends?

Don't have an account there (yet, I suppose) - I just use it to track release dates.

Danferno

This is my first-ever post on NeoGAF, and I hope you'll indulge me, as it's a long one.

Welcome! Momohime was my downfall introduction to collecting as well. Vanillaware should get finder's fees for bringing new collectors into the fold. Alter Gwendolyn is a Holy Grail for me; seeing Velvet rereleased (and and getting a whole new figure!) keeps me buoyed in a sea of irrational hope. May your wallet stay weeping and your Detolfs full.

chrono01

Isn't Flare a new manufacturer too [or is it just a name change]? Either way, not the best way to start. Even if the figure is perfect, 27.8k yen is WAY too much for something so simple, even if it is 34cm high.

Isn't Flare a new manufacturer too [or is it just a name change]? Either way, not the best way to start. Even if the figure is perfect, 27.8k yen is WAY too much for something so simple, even if it is 34cm high.

Flare is a new brand. All we know is they have some sort of ties to Alter. No idea what. This Bayonetta and the Elin are their first pieces.

Ryuuroden

Price:
____¥10926____
Release date: June 2015.

totally reasonable price..........AHA I GET IT NOW JAPAN, you made a spat of ridiculous prices knowing they were rediculous so that way you could start releasing figures for 11k and we would think oh my that's such a reasonable price. I'm on to you now Japan!

injurai

Banned
Devil's Cheerleader arrived and she's just drop dead gorgeous:

Also got a wee bag of Erostika goodies with my order, a little history book, a bookmark art show invite and an Erostika branded led keychain light thing that projects art, it's like a rockin' jelly bean bat signal...

I'd take pics but dem naked wimens make it a no-go...

that's some next level shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom