• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
At that price, that is a very acceptable price for a late port. And let's hope it's also steam deck certified

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There are a lot of clearly in-game cutscenes that are locked to 30fps and that are stuttering while loading assets.

Oh interesting can someone who played on PS5 confirm? I only played in performance mode for a brief period during playthrough just to try out but I recall the real time cutscenes being able to maintain 60fps relatively well.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Oh interesting can someone who played on PS5 confirm? I only played in performance mode for a brief period during playthrough just to try out but I recall the real time cutscenes being able to maintain 60fps relatively well.
In Quality a lot of heavy 30fps cutscenes are dipping below 25 on PS5.

GHG

Gold Member
That is rather the image that describes those who seem to celebrate the fact that it is not released on XBOX more than its launch and be playing on PC.🤷🏻

No, you have it wrong people aren't just celebrating the fact that it's still not releasing on Xbox.

They're celebrating both.

Demo progress carries over if it wasn't mentioned:

hV89Vyn.png

Source: the fucking demo
They really want this to succeed. I hadn't planned on buying it this year, but... let's see if the demo changes my mind.

Gonzito

Just tried the demo, the game is stutter fest. I have a high end computer with a rtx4080 and its absolutely disgusting how much stuttering there is, and its weird because the game loads shaders when you start for the first time

Zathalus

Game runs fine, shader compilation step at the start as well. Looks great with DLAA but nothing other then DLSS/XeSS and framegen support caught my eye. No 21:9+ support in 2024 for a title likes this is pure nonsense though, I wont purchase it if that doesn't get fixed, or modders fix Squares incompetence again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I really liked it despite its story and pacing flaws. Hopefully the PC version gets some good mods.
Maybe someone can make a mod that either removes the side quests or makes the rewards for side quests actually interesting.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Just tried the demo, the game is stutter fest. I have a high end computer with a rtx4080 and its absolutely disgusting how much stuttering there is, and its weird because the game loads shaders when you start for the first time

Game runs fine, shader compilation step at the start as well. Looks great with DLAA but nothing other then DLSS/XeSS and framegen support caught my eye. No 21:9+ support in 2024 for a title likes this is pure nonsense though, I wont purchase it if that doesn't get fixed, or modders fix Squares incompetence again.

MtZ9N.gif

lmimmfn

Wow, no 21:9 support, same junk as FF7 Remake and needed a mod.
My interest dropped to 0

//DEVIL//

surprisingly cheap for a final fantasy game... makes me worry to be honest. Square Enix is greedy. What's the catch? shit optimized or no PC exclusive benefits?

will double dip

ssringo

Running well over 100fps, maxed out settings, 4K DLAA w/Frame Gen on my 7800X3D/4090 combo.
Nice. I'm a step or two down with a 4070 Ti Super but also happily play at 1440p. Hoping to hit high (but stable!) fps as that was the big killer for me on PS5.

Cutscenes are capped at 30fps right now though which is annoying.

An obnoxious choice I wish devs would stop doing. If we're lucky modders will have that shit fixed within a day or two.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Please, please, please... anyone just now trying the demo, take these words to heart. The demo is, quite literally, the best part of the game. Do not buy this game based on the demo.
I'll echo this again because it can't be stated enough. The intro of this game was glorious - after playing it on PS5 I immediately pre-ordered the game. Turns out, the demo (story, combat, gameplay loops) are almost nothing like the rest of the game. A real shame, because this started off on such a high note.

Zathalus

Urgh, forgot how tedious most of this game is. Even if they add 21:9 support I don't think I'll bother with this one again. It's no Rebirth that's for sure.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
No 21:9+ support in 2024 for a title likes this is pure nonsense though, I wont purchase it if that doesn't get fixed, or modders fix Squares incompetence again.

This pisses me off so much honestly. Didn't FFXV support it natively?
Should be an easy fix of course but wow, are all japanese devs morons?

Three

But you're not buying it right. Because it stinks and hasn't hit $20.

The only time I turned on a non nintendo console in the year of our lord 2023 was to play the FFXVI demo and it stunk.

I played 20 mins of the FFXVI demo and decided to wait for PC after witnessing that terrible performance. Now Ill wait til it’s on Steam and under $20. It would also help if Square made better AAA games. The last big budget game they made that I really enjoyed was Nier Automata.

b0uncyfr0

Demo issues so far (5800x3d and 7800xt):

- The initial intro scene is pretty bad with stutters (even though the first thing it did was compile shaders ❓) - Not sure whats going on there. I noticed GPU usage was lower than usual and fluctuating alot.
- The other sections of the game seem to run pretty decent - i only got to the commander part and im pushing 70-80 fps.
- Motion Blur and VRS disabled, Sharpness maxed out : its defintely still on the blurrier side. There's definitely other motion crap enabled somewhere. Its not too bad, but noticeble.
- No ultrawide ( tested 21:9 ) support - thats not good!
- Frame rate and upscaling options are quite solid.
- No aspect ratio settings (for those who dont rely solely on resolution).
- Cutscenes are 30 fps - its jarring going from 100 fps+ in-game to 30 though. Hopefully a mod fixes that.
- HDR needs to be toggled in Windows beforehand - Ehh. (Edit, Nope - seems only Fullscreen mode can enable/disable)
- AA is ok at 1440p native. Its noticeable if you focus hard enough but those who add more sharpening, will defintely notice jaggies faster.
- Enabling/Disabling FSR 3 frame generation is giving me an error - then hard crashing my PC. It locks up, needing a hard reboot. Not good! Edit (Get around it by enabling the FSR 1 mode first (y))
- I noticed some weird blurriness around characters and assets(rocks) in the distance - and its not VRS either 🤔
- FSR 3 works really well in this game - im seeing a 35-50% improvement without frame Gen on 'quality'. There's a very minimal visual hit too at 1440p. Nice!

All in all, its aceptable in the current state but it defintely needs patches. For those of you who are sensitive, id defintily hold out before buying.

Also for AMD users, 24.8.1 is coming soon : Unsure if that will magically fix somthing. It's worth a shot though :)

Last edited:

peish

no 21:9 wtf

the starting parts with shiva titan has cutscenes stutters even though steam fps shows solid 30fps

at default max settings, it comes with max upscaling, it looks soft like ps5, not as soft but soft by pc standards. fps is very smooth once you control young clive

did they redo the lip synching? looks better than i remembered

Last edited:

peish

Is this with the current Nvidia driver?

Edit: anyone with a 4080 can comment?

I have a 4080 and it runs like ass, lots of stuttering

the shiva titan parts do have stutters in cutscenes. but the next stage is very smooth.

the loading is super fast!

the default upscaling settings...3440x1440 ultra preset with dlss3 and dynamic resolution. (i.e auto choosen by the game)
look at the 2d pixel art!

MBvqE3n.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom