• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

Nickolaidas

From how it ran on the PS5, it was obvious it'd require really high-end hardware. Performance itself isn't much of an issue, DLSS and frame-gen can get you decent numbers. It's the darn stuttering that kills it like many recent PC games.
This seems to be an issue with many Square games running on PC. FF7 Remake has constant stutters unless you have mods and tons of VRAM.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I preordered this for Steam via Humble Bundle. I got the complete edition for $59.49.

ZAbpNup.png

Last edited:
Game seems to have an issue with the system HDR, everything looks somewhat grey and washed out, turning HDR on windows seems to fix the issue.

Last edited:
This seems to be an issue with many Square games running on PC. FF7 Remake has constant stutters unless you have mods and tons of VRAM.
It's that PS5 magic lol

I'm glad I just played FFXVI on PS5 more than a year ago, imagine building a beastly gaming PC for $2000 to play this instead of just spending $500 more than a year ago

Sucks for all the Green Rats who tried to talk FFXVI to death more than a year ago for the crime of not being on Xbox, because now it's still not on Xbox lol

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'll echo this again because it can't be stated enough. The intro of this game was glorious - after playing it on PS5 I immediately pre-ordered the game. Turns out, the demo (story, combat, gameplay loops) are almost nothing like the rest of the game. A real shame, because this started off on such a high note.
I feel like I played a different game than all these fanboys praising the game to the heavens.

The linear story stages and Eikon/boss fights were fucking amazing, some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game. The other 80% of the game however is some of the most boring garbage I have ever experienced. The game put me to sleep multiple times.

I’m convinced that this game began as a FF spinoff that was just those linear stages/bosses. All the rest (exploration zones, sidequests, crafting system, etc) just feels like the most bland, soulless shit that was added so they could justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI

I feel like I played a different game than all these fanboys praising the game to the heavens.

The linear story stages and Eikon/boss fights were fucking amazing, some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game. The other 80% of the game however is some of the most boring garbage I have ever experienced. The game put me to sleep multiple times.

I’m convinced that this game began as a FF spinoff that was just those linear stages/bosses. All the rest (exploration zones, sidequests, crafting system, etc) just feels like the most bland, soulless shit that was added so they could justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI
It was made by the FFXIV team as a side project and they brought those MMO sensibilities into the zone design and side quests

So much of FFXVI outside of the combat and boss fights felt like a graphically enhanced single player only version of FFXIV and that didn't really do it any favors, but I guess they had a playtime metric of some sort they were required to hit so they really padded the game out

I would have been much happier if it was just a 20 hours game and only had the boss fights but Square Enix still thinks volume of content is what's important, that's why FFVII Rebirth has 86 mini-games that no one will ever play

Last edited:

Comandr

I'll echo this again because it can't be stated enough. The intro of this game was glorious - after playing it on PS5 I immediately pre-ordered the game. Turns out, the demo (story, combat, gameplay loops) are almost nothing like the rest of the game. A real shame, because this started off on such a high note.
This is exactly what happened to me, and honestly, I expect was the strategy at Square Enix. Front load the game with an awesome, emotionally charged, insane spectacle intro. Make a playable demo of that portion of the game. Rake in the preorders. The rest of the game is mid as fuck.

I really don't understand the logic behind locking all cutscenes to 30fps. At least it's a more stable 30fps than it was on PS5 but come on... let PCs flex their muscle even during cutscenes. Or at least have the framerate lock be optional.

That said, it looks and runs perfectly... when it's allowed to go above 30fps.

omegasc

Aren`t the cutscenes that are locked at 30 fps just pre-rendered stuff? I remember there's a mix of them throughout the whole game.

In all reality, 1-2 year late pc ports should only be $40 at most, when they launch. It’s not like the devs needed to go through the normal dev cycle for these late ports. It’s incredibly fucked up. PC gamers should be more outraged when old ports sell higher than $40.

If it makes you happier, it's currently $70 on PSN right now for the standard edition.

Stafford

As for Xbox.

"We're taking one thing at a time right now, so I can't reveal anything about our future plans. All I can say is, it's something I would personally like to see happen!"

Yeah, doesn't sound like a announcement is soon. Nate might have said it's happening, which I guess could be true and that's it's up to SE. Which is true too, it's non news what he said, in that case. If it isn't announced this year I'll just play it on Pro when I get it, depending on price.

omegasc

Demo runs ok-ish (lots of stutters on the first big fight) on my 3070 (8GB) laptop @ 1080, but even DLSS3 Quality is making the game more blurry than I thought it would. Funny how they even kept the PS5 AA method with FSR1 and labeled it "Legacy". Why would anyone select that?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's that PS5 magic lol

I'm glad I just played FFXVI on PS5 more than a year ago, imagine building a beastly gaming PC for $2000 to play this instead of just spending $500 more than a year ago

Sucks for all the Green Rats who tried to talk FFXVI to death more than a year ago for the crime of not being on Xbox, because now it's still not on Xbox lol
720p magic. Lol.

Imagine building a $2000 rig to play only potato fantasy xvi.

decisions

My thoughts after playing the demo:

- Yet another game with no ultrawide support. I'm going to sell my ultarwide monitor, it's just not worth the hassle to set it up via a mod with most games.
- These new upscaling/performance technologies (DLSS, VRS, dynamic resolution) are literally a cancer on the gaming industry. Developers are now making games expecting people to use these technologies and it's really sad because the image quality is literally terrible with them on. For a game like this where the art direction is so incredible, it saddens me to know that most people will just play with these features on, which are enabled by default. The difference in IQ between running my game at 144fps with these performance features on and 72fps with them all off is astronomical, for a single-player game like this it's a no-brainer. I just wonder if in a world where these features didn't exist if devs would put more effort into optimizing for performance while maintaining high IQ.
- The port is overall good and I'm really excited to play through this masterpiece of a game again.

Last edited:

proandrad

- Yet another game with no ultrawide support. I'm going to sell my ultarwide monitor, it's just not worth the hassle to set it up via a mod with most games.
- These new upscaling/performance technologies (DLSS, VRS, dynamic resolution) are literally a cancer on the gaming industry. Developers are now making games expecting people to use these technologies and it's really sad because the image quality is literally terrible with them on. For a game like this where the art direction is so incredible, it saddens me to know that most people will just play with these features on, which are enabled by default. The difference in IQ between running my game at 144fps with these performance features on and 72fps with them all off is astronomical, for a single-player game like this it's a no-brainer. I just wonder if in a world where these features didn't exist if devs would put more effort into optimizing for performance while maintaining high IQ.
- The port is overall good and I'm really excited to play through this masterpiece of a game again.
I rather games go back to ps4 graphics with clean IQ. But console gamer cry and call those games cross gen trash. So now we have games with awful IQ unless you have a 4090 and settle for 60fps or sit 20 feet away from a tv.

Thaedolus

-could only get 1440p in the demo?
-tried to lock FPS at 120hz but it was up in the 200s?
-cutscenes drop to 30hz no matter what?

Seems like a good port from a technical standpoint but some weird decisions

Bojji

Looks like a solid port, 60FPS in starting area (45 in castle) with everything maxed out and DLSS Q (1440p internal) in 4k. Lots of upscaling options, I like it.

After changing to dynamic res DLSS, locked 59FPS (reflex on in 60Hz output):

koGWSGV.jpeg
Iy5MYM9.jpeg
nxRlclv.jpeg
tuSJy9S.jpeg
RtwS5BY.jpeg

b0uncyfr0

- These new upscaling/performance technologies (DLSS, VRS, dynamic resolution) are literally a cancer on the gaming industry.

I completely disagree (for this game at least). When the town opens up after the fght, im getting a 40% increase roughly in frame rate with very little image quality hit.

Thats FSR3 on the quality setting at 1440p maxxed out settings. Basically going from 55 fps to 75+fps is very good, especially with the improved responsiveness.

I think its working well in this game because its on the softer side and FSR doesnt seem to be impacting the visual style that much. For me, it looks and works pretty damn well, and thats without frame generation btw.

Someone on a higher reslution will definitely appreciate the upscaling tech, they shouldnt notice much (if any) degradation at all.

Last edited:

decisions

I rather games go back to ps4 graphics with clean IQ. But console gamer cry and call those games cross gen trash. So now we have games with awful IQ unless you have a 4090 and settle for 60fps or sit 20 feet away from a tv.

Totally agree on your first point but, console gamers didn't start this one. PC gamers cried if a game ran at < 144fps on max settings and drank Nvidia's kool-aid with new features that destroy IQ and input latency; devs saw that PC gamers were actually using these features and thus have started to turn them on by default and not optimize their games very well for people who don't use them. FFXVI is actually a pretty good scenario where I can play locked at 72fps with max settings with none of these turned on -- a lot of games are worse than that. Then again I have a 7900XTX, most people don't even have the option I do to maintain a decent frame rate with good IQ. And even then I am only playing on 2K.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In all reality, 1-2 year late pc ports should only be $40 at most, when they launch. It’s not like the devs needed to go through the normal dev cycle for these late ports. It’s incredibly fucked up. PC gamers should be more outraged when old ports sell higher than $40.

Fuck that. You might as well argue that when a game is multi-platform then only buyers of the lead SKU get to pay full price! Same smooth-brain argument about labour costs applies.

That dismissed, lets move on and shitcan the idea that just because something is new to you, its somehow worth less than if it were new to everyone. Because its ridiculous on its face.

Euler007

Already beat the game on PS5, can't wait to try it out the demo on my 4090 (especially since the first few hours of the game are pretty intense).

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Fuck that. You might as well argue that when a game is multi-platform then only buyers of the lead SKU get to pay full price! Same smooth-brain argument about labour costs applies.

That dismissed, lets move on and shitcan the idea that just because something is new to you, its somehow worth less than if it were new to everyone. Because its ridiculous on its face.
Nah. You’re wrong.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Takai explained. "We've also added support for various upscaling technologies, such as NVIDIA DLSS3, AMD FSR, and Intel XeSS, and increased the frame rate cap, too."

Takai also revealed that PC users wielding PS5 DualSense controllers will be able to enjoy full-fat haptic feedback, too. However, the game has also been optimized for those who are rocking it old school with a mouse and keyboard, too. "There are plenty of other options I haven't mentioned, so I hope you enjoy playing around with them!"

Takai warns that FFVII Remake was originally designed for the PS4, whereas FFXVI is a new-gen game designed originally for PS5. Still, the team has tried to optimize it as much as possible for the new wave of PC handhelds. "It was always our aim with the PC version to make it playable for as wide a range as devices as possible, and that includes the Steam Deck."
right now, we're pouring all our energies into the PC version. After that...who knows!?"

Finally, for long-suffering Square Enix fans on Xbox, I had to slip in the burning question. Will Final Fantasy 16 ever make its way to Xbox? Indeed, just this week, rumors began to percolate once again that Final Fantasy 16 would join Final Fantasy 14 in getting a late Xbox Series X|S launch, although nothing is hard confirmed right now. Takai is at least positive on the idea of FFXVI making its way across, some day.

"We're taking one thing at a time right now, so I can't reveal anything about our future plans. All I can say is, it's something I would personally like to see happen!"

Last edited:

Bkdk

Will wait to see how robust the mods and trainers are, there is no way I can stand playing this game on its original state without anything to boost clive's running speed or overall game speed. Also hopefully some shiva mods and shive nude mod.

Go_Ly_Dow

That's a great price for the definitive version for such a big FF game littered from start to finish with some of the best set piece sequences I've seen in gaming, especially with the two DLCs as well.

However... they missed the fkin trick not calling it Final Fantasy XVI Ultima Edition!!! :messenger_pouting:

Especially to continue from the Royal Edition which was a big success for XV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom