• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

Will wait to see how robust the mods and trainers are, there is no way I can stand playing this game on its original state without anything to boost clive's running speed or overall game speed. Also hopefully some shiva mods and shive nude mod.
Yes please.

Also, a 'Replace Clive with Tifa' mod would be great.

But the thing I'm hoping for the most is a PS5->PC save converter, because I'd love to play NG+ from the start.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wouldn't they have the ability to re-render the pre-rendered cutscenes at 60 fps if they wanted?
Or not feasible?

Last edited:

omegasc

on RTX 30 series, selecting FSR3, using Native AA + Frame Gen is actually good. Hopefully we can mix Frame Gen with DLAA with mods.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Wouldn't they have the ability to re-render the pre-rendered cutscenes at 60 fps if they wanted?
Or not feasible?

They are realtime but locked @30fps. Nothing a mod cannot handle. So far my biggest gripe.

Runs between 50-80fps on a 4090 with 4K/DLAA, ~double that with FrameGen. I expected much worse performance, so I am happy.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I feel like I played a different game than all these fanboys praising the game to the heavens.

The linear story stages and Eikon/boss fights were fucking amazing, some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game. The other 80% of the game however is some of the most boring garbage I have ever experienced. The game put me to sleep multiple times.

I’m convinced that this game began as a FF spinoff that was just those linear stages/bosses. All the rest (exploration zones, sidequests, crafting system, etc) just feels like the most bland, soulless shit that was added so they could justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI

Wow..

So not recommended?

I’m really puzzled if I will like this game

That the action becomes DMC is fine, but ultimately FF7 rebirth also bored me to tears in the end while the intro was amazing.

What makes FF16 boring? Side quests?

pVS2Vjj.jpeg

At best, it gets announced as part of Xbox's stream on gamescom (like how the Persona 3/4/5 ports weren't announced for all platforms at the same time), at worst, it's a bit late. 🤷‍♂️

If "early 2025" basically means H1 2025, a June release could tick the box. But yes, it's also possible SE would want something to boost revenue in their FY 24 Q3 period (assuming their FY ends in June). In that case an Xbox version could come in maybe February or March.

Still tho, I think any Xbox version is gonna need Game Pass by default to make it make dollar sense to SE, especially if it's releasing after the PC version.

downloaded the demo, game cant start, popup box says graphics driver is incompatible!

wtf is this a first?

Yes i have not updated to latest nvidia drivers, but mine drivers are this year's!

You're on PC, you know how this works. Always get the latest drivers available, just out of instinct.

This is what Square officially said....

PS.Which does not mean that I am accepting the credibility of this supposed "insider." In fact I don't and for some reason he has me blocked 🤷🏻

TBF, "other platforms" could also mean the Switch 2.

Tho honestly, at this rate I'm expecting VII Remake and Rebirth are higher priorities for Switch 2 from SE than XVI.

It's mostly the pacing that fails the game IMO. If you played FFXIV, then you've got a good idea of how jarring the pacing can be. Exciting moments in the story -> followed by hours of unavoidable errands and MMO-style sidequests (talk to 3 NPCs, etc.).

Also the combat takes a while to really open up. The first dozen hours of combat feels like you're mostly pressing one button and using a single ability on cooldown. And even when the combat is fully 'unlocked', it's still fairly simple compared to other Action RPGs.

iQuasarLV

Looking at the steam store upcoming releases makes me think that SE has just given up on the 16th Final Fantasy vs other projects if it is $49.99 out the gate. This coming from a company that finds no fault charging PS5 $70 prices for a PC port. Jesus Forspoken is still $70
YOYKB8k.jpeg

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wow..

So not recommended?

I’m really puzzled if I will like this game

That the action becomes DMC is fine, but ultimately FF7 rebirth also bored me to tears in the end while the intro was amazing.

Sidequests, lack of meaningful rewards for those quests, lack of interesting stuff to find while you explore, etc etc.

The structure of the game outside of those linear action segments is so archaic and boring. So much of “go to next outpost, talk to the guy with the quest marker who dumps some info on you, talk to 3 other people who had quest markers pop up over their heads, go kill the bandits/monster/whatever, turn in quest, talk to the next guy with the quest marker that just popped up on his head….”

The sidequests are generic MMO stuff and there’s tons of them. Most of them reward you with crafting materials that you have literally hundreds of, and nothing to use them on. Every new weapon/armor is just a minute stat increase over the previous one.

The exploration zones mostly have nothing to find except shiny dots that give you like 3 Gil or some useless crafting item.

Even lots of the story sequences are bad. For every riveting GoT style drama scene there are 10 others where the characters just stand there like mannequins yapping on and on about something nobody cares about.

Imagine a very pretty but shallow DMC clone, but in between each stage you have to do like 6 hours of FF XIV A Realm Reborn drudgery to unlock the next stage. That’s XVI in a nutshell.

Mercador

Man, there's so many 4090s in this thread, I feel poor with my 4070 :D

Anyway, it runs ok with frame gen, I play on a 4K TV limited to 60hz and it seems to keep that most of the time. But man this is blurry and inconstant. Sometimes it's blurry, sometimes it's not, really weird. Cutscenes in 30 is not great but still not a game breaker for me. But I'm not sure I'm playing a Final Fantasy. It got the name, the IP generics, the tone is definitely more mature but it plays more like FFXV than older FFs. I know I must look at Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler for my old memories of a good pixel FF.

Few things that I noticed;
- Someone really like that drop between Gandalf and the Balrog, I was expecting them to fall in a lake
- Clive only hop in Castle but jump in the wild (it feels weird)
- I guess with enough muscle memory, it will bring the game a bit on the easy side

I'll watch a few reviews from the PS5 launch, some of you tell us that the demo is the best that the game have to offer so perhaps I'll wait a bit. That was the first FF I didn't play at launch because I couldn't justify to purchase a console for only one game so I'm happy to see it on PC so perhaps I'll do my part. I was expecting Squenix to allow us to preorder FF7 Rebirth and gives FF7 remake as a gift like on the PS5, perhaps I'm day dreaming, if FF exclusives are 18 months long, I would expect that some preorder for Rebirth will be available this winter?

I'm gonna to wait for a sale for this game though

I liked what I played of it but wasn't really impressed with the game

It just felt like a generic fantasy now with an action system..

SkylineRKR

Sidequests, lack of meaningful rewards for those quests, lack of interesting stuff to find while you explore, etc etc.

The structure of the game outside of those linear action segments is so archaic and boring. So much of “go to next outpost, talk to the guy with the quest marker who dumps some info on you, talk to 3 other people who had quest markers pop up over their heads, go kill the bandits/monster/whatever, turn in quest, talk to the next guy with the quest marker that just popped up on his head….”

The sidequests are generic MMO stuff and there’s tons of them. Most of them reward you with crafting materials that you have literally hundreds of, and nothing to use them on. Every new weapon/armor is just a minute stat increase over the previous one.

The exploration zones mostly have nothing to find except shiny dots that give you like 3 Gil or some useless crafting item.

Even lots of the story sequences are bad. For every riveting GoT style drama scene there are 10 others where the characters just stand there like mannequins yapping on and on about something nobody cares about.

Imagine a very pretty but shallow DMC clone, but in between each stage you have to do like 6 hours of FF XIV A Realm Reborn drudgery to unlock the next stage. That’s XVI in a nutshell.

Its baffling indeed. You get many materials, but I never understood for what purpose. The only weapons worthwhile to make were those weapons made from special drops from hunts. And often the weapon was a bit weaker than the one you had gotten from a boss anyway. There is only 2 stats on them, there is no elemental, speed difference... nothing. Its a 60 hours game with only one sword archetype. And the full moveset of it will be unlocked within the hour.

Meanwhile against more powerful foes you don't do damage with your basic attacks at all. You might as well not use them. The only way to beat stronger enemies and bosses is by spamming your 4 special attacks which are on cooldown. There is no strategy to it at all. DMC clone is actually too much credit. I wish it was.

The game is made by the applauded FFXIV team. And this is exactly the problem with it. Its like they don't know how to create a compelling single player experience. Because MMO need ways to spread out queues for instances, XVI ofcourse is strictly single player. Dungeons are disconnected from the overworld, another MMO trope. There is literally nothing to find or explore in them and you can't revisit them too.

XVI is actually at its best when its cinematic. It falls apart each time you need to go out and need to talk to a string of static NPC or fetch something useless. Which is typically in between the major standoffs.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm gonna to wait for a sale for this game though

I liked what I played of it but wasn't really impressed with the game

It just felt like a generic fantasy now with an action system..

wait, did you like what you played of it or were you not really impressed with it? I feel like the two things you're saying are at odds with eachother.

Madflavor

Lies. Titan boss. Bahamut boss. Final boss. Both dlcs bosses.

Game is a banger. Fuck the haters.

If we're talking about the Highs of the game, then yeah the Demo isn't the best part. But if we're talking about storytelling, pacing, characterizing, cutscene quality, and dynamic camerawork and directing, then yes the Demo is the best part of the game. I was fiending hard for this game leading up to realize. It was ticking every single right box for me. So I didn't go in looking to criticize it. FFXVI has banger moments that are few and far between, and in the middle of those moments are some of the worst pacing and gameplay loop I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Drake

This game runs like shit for me. I updated graphics drivers. I'm playing with medium settings @ 1080p. GTX 2070 super and i5-13600k. Constant stuttering.

JayK47

Was not expecting this. I thought the consensus at GAF was this game was shit. I will pick it up eventually.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Rebirth is the one I'm waiting on for a Steam release

It looks like a proper JRPG and it looks like they put alot of effort into making it an experience

It's definitely a lot 'more game' than FFXVI but specifically to Rodrigo's post I quoted, it has way more instances of very low resolution assets compared to FFXVI. So, PC power-users are probably gonna have a lot to nitpick there.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah ever since 13 it's been dead for me..

I prefer those bolded franchises way more now
Been replaying Bravely Second the past 3 days(which will likely turn into 2 weeks going through a normal mode run and then a hard mode run). It's a near perfect traditional Final Fantasy game. Hard to put down. Mix and matching between the Job classes and ability slots alone gives a lot of customization in approaching combat encounters.

Ever since they went the high graphics and realism route over the years FF has lost it's charm and identity. I'm happy that some games can rekindle what made Final Fantasy what it was back in the day.

At some point I'll be revisiting FFX and X-2 and giving XIII trilogy a shot. The games of today might make the games of yesterday better received.

JaksGhost

For those that may not know t
Looking at the steam store upcoming releases makes me think that SE has just given up on the 16th Final Fantasy vs other projects if it is $49.99 out the gate. This coming from a company that finds no fault charging PS5 $70 prices for a PC port. Jesus Forspoken is still $70
YOYKB8k.jpeg
FF16 is in an odd space with the pricing and that's maninly due to PlayStation refusing to permantely discount it unlike every other retailer. You can get a physical copy from Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, QVC and other major retailers starting at $50 since around February. That's just the standard MSRP with some dipping down to $30. The only time the PSN price aligns is when they do a sale and it's usually a fixture there now. Strangers of Paradise also started out on Steam at $40 and that was following the permanant discount announcement on console after launching at $60.

iQuasarLV

For those that may not know t

FF16 is in an odd space with the pricing and that's maninly due to PlayStation refusing to permantely discount it unlike every other retailer. You can get a physical copy from Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, QVC and other major retailers starting at $50 since around February. That's just the standard MSRP with some dipping down to $30. The only time the PSN price aligns is when they do a sale and it's usually a fixture there now. Strangers of Paradise also started out on Steam at $40 and that was following the permanant discount announcement on console after launching at $60.
I don't blame Sony for Square's pricing decisions. I blame SE for shit like this:
qGbsrGm.jpeg

or Kingdom Hearts and its full price never ending re-re-re-release of old content with an added feature-dungeon-story, or HD2D remakes at $60-$70 of now 30+ year old games.
rG5WROL.jpeg

Last edited:
It's definitely a lot 'more game' than FFXVI but specifically to Rodrigo's post I quoted, it has way more instances of very low resolution assets compared to FFXVI. So, PC power-users are probably gonna have a lot to nitpick there.

Yeah I heard, it's only the story that's been mixed on alot of people who have played it among a certain other thing but there's something called mods that can fix that other thing :p

Been replaying Bravely Second the past 3 days(which will likely turn into 2 weeks going through a normal mode run and then a hard mode run). It's a near perfect traditional Final Fantasy game. Hard to put down. Mix and matching between the Job classes and ability slots alone gives a lot of customization in approaching combat encounters.

Team Osano is a great developer. Live A Live was surprisedly fantastic. Bravely Default II I was addicted to it, I did level grinding, job grinding and stat grinding where I 💯 Percented everything. I did all the side quests, got all the endings, etc. I think I spend a good 250 to 300 hours into it. That battle system was fantastic. I haven't played Bravely Default and Bravely Second yet but I should since I heard both games are fantastic when it comes to the battle system. Triangle Strategy was a good game but the story wasn't the interesting and I felt there should have been more gameplay. Octopath Traveler I had to drop because the battle system just wasn't my thing. Now the second game I heard they improved alot so I'll eventually pick it up

Ever since they went the high graphics and realism route over the years FF has lost it's charm and identity. I'm happy that some games can rekindle what made Final Fantasy what it was back in the day.

That how I feel too, I really am not a fan of FF13 especially due to the cast. Always felt the main character in that game was an unlikable bitch and it's funny how salty SquareEnix is about her not being popular at all. Instead 2B is their Moneymaker when it comes to WAIFUs

I think with SquareEnix, that they should have went the Team Asano route with most of thier games. With their Final Fantasy games past 12, should have just stuck to making it more Japanese than trying to court Western gamers who don't care about playing their games. Reason why Dragon Quest 11 was so successful is because they stuck to what works.

At some point I'll be revisiting FFX and X-2 and giving XIII trilogy a shot. The games of today might make the games of yesterday better received.

I love FF10 and FF12. To me those are the last good 3D FF

Before someone says FF14, that should have been a spinoff title instead of Mainline title

skit_data

Gold Member
Is the demo the same one that was on PS5? That demo was a real masterpiece in marketing, I remember pre-ordering the game instantly after finishing the demo.
The game didn't really manage to deliver on that level overall, but I still consider it very much worth playing because some of those peak moments are truly spectacular.

Top Bottom