• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

Go_Ly_Dow

It’s an SE game. They won’t fix the performance lol.
Update for demo was released

SQUARE ENIX | The Official SQUARE ENIX Website - Update to FINAL FANTASY XVI

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.
www.square-enix-games.com

An update has been released for the FINAL FANTASY XVI PC demo available on Steam and Epic Games Store, introducing a number of improvements and adjustments to the game.

Improvements have been made to DLSS, FSR, and XeSS quality.
This should help to alleviate various graphical issues such as blurring (DLSS/XeSS) and pixelation (FSR).

The following issues have also been addressed:

Dynamic Resolution being locked on the lowest setting.
Enemies not appearing properly in certain battle content.
Graphics not displaying properly on certain stages.
Graphical tearing in certain instances when using borderless screen mode.
SFX not playing properly under certain conditions.
UI not displaying properly under certain conditions.
Screen resolution changing under certain conditions.
Rare instances of GPU crashes.
Other minor issues.

We are currently aware of instances of stuttering on certain PC environments, and are investigating the issue.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Update for demo was released

SQUARE ENIX | The Official SQUARE ENIX Website - Update to FINAL FANTASY XVI

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.

An update has been released for the FINAL FANTASY XVI PC demo available on Steam and Epic Games Store, introducing a number of improvements and adjustments to the game.

Improvements have been made to DLSS, FSR, and XeSS quality.
This should help to alleviate various graphical issues such as blurring (DLSS/XeSS) and pixelation (FSR).

The following issues have also been addressed:

Dynamic Resolution being locked on the lowest setting.
Enemies not appearing properly in certain battle content.
Graphics not displaying properly on certain stages.
Graphical tearing in certain instances when using borderless screen mode.
SFX not playing properly under certain conditions.
UI not displaying properly under certain conditions.
Screen resolution changing under certain conditions.
Rare instances of GPU crashes.
Other minor issues.

We are currently aware of instances of stuttering on certain PC environments, and are investigating the issue.
Yeah, this was released a few days ago. The performance on my rig is alright but could be better. Can't say the same for other people though. The stutters still haven't been addressed and as far as I'm aware, they never really went away with VII Remake. Although, that game is UE4.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Genuinely curious: Why?

It can't possibly be worse than FF15.

FFXV is quite good with one of the best stories in the series, but clearly rushed and full of mashed ideas that were implemented but not finished.

FFXVI is a great game but a bad FF game apparently.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member

FFXVI is a Devil May Cry game with a FF story/characters and mediocre side quests.

The main quest is great, but the side quests are boring.

I personally loved it, but it's not a traditional FF game. It's quite similar to FFXIII in many regards. If you want a traditional FF you will probably end up hating it.

So, overall FFXV (after all dlcs and updates) is a better FF than FFXVI.

Last edited:

Hudo

FFXVI is a Devil May Cry game with a FF story/characters and mediocre side quests.

The main quest is great, but the side quests are boring.

I personally loved it, but it's not a traditional FF game. It's quite similar to FFXIII in many regards. If you want a traditional FF you will probably end up hating it.

Huh.

Well, fuck. That's actually some sound reasoning here. ... And it doesn't do FF16 any favors.

Edit: Maybe the better question, then, is: Is FF16 a good "Tales of" game?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The pc demo can be not as blurry as the ps5 version and that's about it.

Not even just as a FF game but as a rpg in general the game sucks. But if you like a lot of cutscenes and long.. and I mean super long drawn out cutscene filled battles then you may get some enjoyment out of this. 🤷‍♂️

Aion002

Gold Member
Huh.

Well, fuck. That's actually some sound reasoning here. ... And it doesn't do FF16 any favors.

Edit: Maybe the better question, then, is: Is FF16 a good "Tales of" game?
Probably not... It's a good DMC game though.

The boss battles are awesome too, extremely cinematic like God of War 3 and Asura's Wrath.

It's an awesome action game, with a good combat system, epic boss battles and great graphics.

Everything else.... Not so much. The exploration is bland, the side quest are meh at best and there not many secrets to unlock at all. It also lacks the sub plots from Tales of series, there's no plot twists and everything is kinda predictable after a couple of hours.

Also, the main villain is terrible and all the antagonists are kinda sad and unremarkable.

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
No playable party members, no exploration, no minigames, non existent RPG system, only one weapon, no customization, no buffs, elemental weaknesses and resistances.

That's just the easily visually observable messups of the game. There is an entire myriad of poorly designed story, dialogue, characters etc. Even the level design/texture are monotonous, uninspired and lackluster.

The big DLC for example is just filler and the events have no coherent correlation to the main story.

XV is the best MODERN Final Fantasy game. Modern as in post Enix merger and non Sakaguchi.
It stumbles and fumbles a lot but is eventually a memorable game.

proandrad

The pc demo can be not as blurry as the ps5 version and that's about it.

Not even just as a FF game but as a rpg in general the game sucks. But if you like a lot of cutscenes and long.. and I mean super long drawn out cutscene filled battles then you may get some enjoyment out of this. 🤷‍♂️
Finally someone who doesn’t like FF16 can accept other people do. I call that progress.

night13x

I enjoyed XVI for what it was. I don't get into the argument of "it wasnt a ff game"....I am always confused by that bc by that logic a lot of the mainline FF games are not "ff games". but opinions are like you know what. Did FF16 have its faults? YES. Side quests were the main downers. But the game did a lot of things right. I did enjoy the plot and the fact that they actually tried this time with the story.

XV had so much potential. Then the downfall started when the director went around telling he wanted an old person 1 button mode in interviews, took out Stella, destroyed the entire story, and it ended up being a soulless open world game with hints of excitement that always fell through.

Let alone the awesome cinematic release trailer ..... that was basically false advertising for the story.

Square knew they rushed a 2 year rebooted developed game and were just going to call it a day. Luckily it sold decently well due to the hype and IP name, but it also lost a LOT of trust from the fanbase imo.

The cherry on the top was when they decided to just cut the future dlc and leaving the game unfinished....well sorta. You can pick up a novel lol.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wasnt this game one of the biggest Playstation game last year

Believe i keep seeing it in the exclusive list thats throw around

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Wasnt this game one of the biggest Playstation game last year

Believe i keep seeing it in the exclusive list thats throw around
It was the biggest 'Playstation game' with huge asterisks and conditions.
It shipped 3 million copies and cost Square money.
There hasnt been any sales updates after 1 year.

Variahunter

FFXV is quite good with one of the best stories in the series, but clearly rushed and full of mashed ideas that were implemented but not finished.

FFXVI is a great game but a bad FF game apparently.
FFXV quite good ? Please that combat system is far worse than FFXVI.
Open world is empty, story is idiotic at best, characters are so cliché and emo… they look like models from JPOP music with each guy having a different role just because.

Useless game.

While FFXVI has a lot of flaws, but the combat system is really good if you have skill. Admittedly, mastering it is only useful in superior difficulties, because SE knew their fans weren’t skilled so they made the game very easy by default, so you can win by mashing basic attacks. World building is interesting and not all over the place like in FFXV, and scenario is pretty good. Music and characters are top notch.

Only problem, it’s not an RPG and exploration is laughable. No cities explorable and towns are a joke.

16 is the worst mainline Final Fantasy game. And none of the game's issues have been reported to be fixed in the PC version.
in my opinion it does not feel like a final fantasy game . it feels like a very long devil may cry game but for what it is i really enjoyed the game . the game was not that bad honestly.

Last edited:

ElFenomeno

While FFXVI has a lot of flaws, but the combat system is really good if you have skill. Admittedly, mastering it is only useful in superior difficulties, because SE knew their fans weren’t skilled so they made the game very easy by default, so you can win by mashing basic attacks.
What skill exactly? Checking the ability cooldown from time to time?
The game's combat is simplistic and lacking strategy. You just spam 6 abilities on cooldown, stagger enemy, cycle though the abilities again, dodge, rinse and repeat. No elemental weaknesses as well.

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Please that combat system is far worse than FFXVI.
Not 'far' worse. How many weapons can you use in 16? magic? play as different characters?
XV is a bit too easy and Square knew their audience dont like action games.
World building is interesting and not all over the place like in FFXV, and scenario is pretty good. Music and characters are top notch.
Anything in 16 that is not combat related is a complete failure.

The battle system does not show its quality until Ultimaniac, even then, the enemies are too spongy so the best way to deal with them are the super attacks.
Super attacks in 16 are tied to cooldowns and Clive is invincible during the super animations. So there is no downsize to using them.

SkylineRKR

It isn't. Its more polished, less janky for sure. And its a finished product. As much as I hate the combat of FFXVI, I just hated the janky combat of XV much more.
The game's combat is simplistic and lacking strategy. You just spam 6 abilities on cooldown, stagger enemy, cycle though the abilities again, dodge, rinse and repeat. No elemental weaknesses as well.
This is true and actually my biggest gripe with the game. The gameplay is absolutely dumb. You do the same combo over and over again, waiting for cooldowns to finish. This is an absolutely fatal flaw in a 50 hour game. There are no delay inputs or just frames, and most enemies can't be launched. Its the same combo and weapon type throughout the entire game and thats it. Normal attacks are completely useless. Just use your abilities to stagger them faster, and once they're staggered they're likely ready for use again.

If the combat was good I would rate this game far higher. In fact, if the game was cut short by some 20 hours of padding and with a solid combat foundation it might've been one of the very best.

Variahunter

Last edited:

Variahunter

Not 'far' worse. How many weapons can you use in 16? magic? play as different characters?
XV is a bit too easy and Square knew their audience dont like action games.

Anything in 16 that is not combat related is a complete failure.
Anything else than combat ?
I found the characters (most of them), animations, boss battles and choregraphy, graphics and environment, world building and scenario to be great.

The rest is really bad : exploration, rewards, RPG progression (it's not an RPG...), cities (lol), towns, level design, linearity, interaction with the environment

So yeah, mixed feelings in the end.

//DEVIL//

16 is the worst mainline Final Fantasy game. And none of the game's issues have been reported to be fixed in the PC version.
I disagree. The game is nice. has a proper story and epic boss battles. all of the boss battles are memorable.

We just played it on a PS5. That's where the problem was. too many frame pacing and technical issues.

but as far as gameplay goes ? no the game is fun.

Final Fantasy 13 is the worst final fantasy game. Man, I played the game for 5 hours and still couldn't keep up with who is good and who is bad. (falsee and falsoo) . one of them is good and the other is bad we need to fight. (I forgot the actual name of the villains and the good team but rhym with these two words lol

Variahunter

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm talking about combos, air combos, there's definitely DMC madness here and it needs a lot of skill, especially to keep air combos going, there's canceling, charged attacks involved, double jumps and finishing with magic auto charged, only to roll cycle back to Phoenix special attack to keep the enemy close... you can stay in air for an astounding amount of time if you know what you're doing. Even with only one Eikon.
You're exactly the target demographic of SE, you mashed attacks until stagger then spam abilities and call it a day. Can't blame you, normal difficulty doesn't requires anything else.
You should see combos compilation on youtube, it's a sight to see.

//DEVIL//

XIII trilogy is awesome. XVI is a Game of Throne rip-off and should have been a spin-off. Barely looks like Final Fantasy.
barely look like final fantasy argument has been thrown out of the window since Final fantasy 15 and 7 remake. since they turned the game to action game more than an RPG.

I would say Final Fantasy X is the last great Final fantasy game.

However. I do enjoy the modern final fantasy too. 7 Remake and Rebirth are probably some of the best Final fantasy games I have ever played. I also Enjoyed 15 and 16.

its FF12 and 13 that I don't like at all.

cireza

Gold Member
barely look like final fantasy argument has been thrown out of the window since Final fantasy 15 and 7 remake. since they turned the game to action game more than an RPG.

However. I do enjoy the modern final fantasy too. 7 Remake and Rebirth are probably some of the best Final fantasy games I have ever played. I also Enjoyed 15 and 16.

its FF12 and 13 that I don't like at all.
VII, XIII and XV look like FF alright, it is XVI that hardly looks like it belongs to the series.

Last edited:

ElFenomeno

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm talking about combos, air combos, there's definitely DMC madness here and it needs a lot of skill, especially to keep air combos going, there's canceling, charged attacks involved, double jumps and finishing with magic auto charged, only to roll cycle back to Phoenix special attack to keep the enemy close... you can stay in air for an astounding amount of time if you know what you're doing. Even with only one Eikon.
You're exactly the target demographic of SE, you mashed attacks until stagger then spam abilities and call it a day. Can't blame you, normal difficulty doesn't requires anything else.
You should see combos compilation on youtube, it's a sight to see.
Yes, I checked combo videos on YT. Doing 1 minute of fancy combos to take away 10% of enemy health lol. Really terrifying stuff. And in most cases, you achieve the same result or better/faster with some AOE attacks :D
The game doesn't push you to interact with all its systems. So I have to come up with creative combos because the developers don't have a clue how to organically implement challenging bosses/scenarios?

The bosses should be like a puzzle for which you need to have a proper build/strategy for. Not air juggle each of them lol...and only think what will my next stylish combo look like?
FFX, even 13 with its paradigm shift system and FF7 remakes require strategy so fundamentally, the design philosophies of these games I want for future FF games.

Last edited:
XIII trilogy is awesome. XVI is a Game of Throne rip-off and should have been a spin-off. Barely looks like Final Fantasy.

I don't wanna start FF arguments here but it is my toughts exactly for the FF13 trilogy. All those years ago I started my FF career with 13 so that game has a very special place in my heart. I also loved 13-2 and Lightning Returns as well.

After I beat them people praised FFX and played it. While the game was good it didn't have a powerful impact on me like 13.

And 15. Maaaan :messenger_expressionless: that game was so much wasted potential. I initially liked movie, Brotherhood anime etc. etc. but including the game, the overall story presentation was all over the place. It was presented soooo bad that I couldn't like that game. I love stories and their presentations in the games so maybe that's why I couldn't like it. Even so I gave positive review on Steam. I couldn't bring myself to give negative review because I saw lots of effort went into making FF15. Not just for my taste.

For FF16 I preordered it on PC. I had a chance to buy it on PS5 but didn't buy it. Definitely looking forward to play it in September.

Last edited:

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
I found the characters
16 characters are either boring or some cartoony stereotype.
boss battles and choregraphy
Eikon battles are unskippable cutscenes with QTE. Why does QTE still exist in 2023?
And they are all spectacle over anything resembling substance.
graphics and environment
Everything is either grey or brown or about to be. There is even a desert so that they can get away with the bland grey nothingness.
There is no city to explore, there are no puzzles, no optional dungeons to unlock.

Final Fantasy 13 is the worst final fantasy game.
XIII's crappy hallways have more personality than the levels in 16.

Thats the last pre Enix game. Post Enix, the company went. . . .places.
X isnt just the last great Final Fantasy game, its one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

Variahunter

16 characters are either boring or some cartoony stereotype.

Eikon battles are unskippable cutscenes with QTE. Why does QTE still exist in 2023?
And they are all spectacle over anything resembling substance.

Everything is either grey or brown or about to be. There is even a desert so that they can get away with the bland grey nothingness.
There is no city to explore, there are no puzzles, no optional dungeons to unlock.

XIII's crappy hallways have more personality than the levels in 16.

Thats the last pre Enix game. Post Enix, the company went. . . .places.
X isnt just the last great Final Fantasy game, its one of the best games ever made.
No I didn’t find them boring. The only one I really found idiot was Titan Eikon, which could have been much more interesting.
And Clive’s uncle was boring. And the final boss was meh.

But the main character, party, antagonists were all great to good.

Eikon battles have QTE in them, but they are all playable, and a large portion of it. Tell me you did’nt play the game without telling me you didn’t play the game.
Yes spectacle, you know that thing most of FF fans were liking since FF7 and the FMV cutscenes ?

Then you go full hyperbole with FFXIII level design which is shitty and with some of the most cliché characters…

Ok since you still consider FFX a great FF game (which I loved when I was teenager, but now… uuuh) I think you need to grow up a bit. I wouldn’t even put it in my top 50 lol.

You’re tasteless.

Variahunter

Yes, I checked combo videos on YT. Doing 1 minute of fancy combos to take away 10% of enemy health lol. Really terrifying stuff. And in most cases, you achieve the same result or better/faster with some AOE attacks :D
The game doesn't push you to interact with all its systems. So I have to come up with creative combos because the developers don't have a clue how to organically implement challenging bosses/scenarios?

The bosses should be like a puzzle for which you need to have a proper build/strategy for. Not air juggle each of them lol...and only think what will my next stylish combo look like?
FFX, even 13 with its paradigm shift system and FF7 remakes require strategy so fundamentally, the design philosophies of these games I want for future FF games.
Ah yes, remember DMC when styling on enemies made sense ?

So you admit you didn’t play it further than normal. That’s ok.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I installed the demo. Man, this game looks so much better on my PC. I kinda wish I would have waited. I don't want to say night and day but it's a big difference. My monitor is better than my tv so that helps too lol. Anyway looks great. I may double dip eventually. I liked the game. Way better than 15 and the 13 games for me.

wkuraido

Neo Member
I played ~six hours on PS5 when it launched, but my partner ended up monopolizing the TV and I never went back to it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I'm excited to try diving back into it on PC! :messenger_fire:

Lambogenie

I guess people need to work on something, but it'd be so much better to have VII Rebirth on PC now over this. This was just an average, highly repetitive game with a story that is only good in some key moments; the journey is no saving grace.

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
No I didn’t find them boring. The only one I really found idiot was Titan Eikon, which could have been much more interesting.
Every character in the game shows poor writing and execution.
Clive is probably the worst, you have to look at the character and hear the mediocre voice acting throughout the entire game.
but they are all playable, and a large portion of it.
You mean the Ifrit segments when the whole combat system changes and you basically lose your combos making everything you learned about the regular moveset worthless?
FFXIII level design
Its better than any monotonous grey and brown texture slapped together in 16 yes.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
FF16 doesn't really have a FF story. It's pretty clear that they took their inspiration from HBO instead of anime weebshit. That's why 15 despite it's many flaws still kinda feels like FF.

WaterOnix

Neo Member
Enjoyed the demo. Also I wish more games that use demos would include keeping save files for the full release. Always appreciate when that's the case.

Go_Ly_Dow

Enjoyed the demo. Also I wish more games that use demos would include keeping save files for the full release. Always appreciate when that's the case.
I don't think other big publishers will go the demo route because so many of them benefit from concealing the flaws in their gaming product as much as they can in the run up to release.

Top Bottom