• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

Hot5pur

As someone who quit FFXV midway due to the cringe worthy story and dialogue, semi automated fighting system, and boring world in general, I feel this DMC rendition will be a better fit for me. As long as the fighting is solid, the rest can be blah as long as it's a little better than dmc5 (terrible environments, likely the lowest effort world building ever too)

As someone who quit FFXV midway due to the cringe worthy story and dialogue, semi automated fighting system, and boring world in general, I feel this DMC rendition will be a better fit for me. As long as the fighting is solid, the rest can be blah as long as it's a little better than dmc5 (terrible environments, likely the lowest effort world building ever too)
Oh boy, you're in for a rude awakening

Last edited:

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Dont expect Dante's multiple weapons and the fun that comes in learning each of them. There is only one weapon in 16.
The difficulty is piss easy and the game turns into the same mess as XV in the normal difficulty. And you cant select the highest difficulty at first, you have to play through the game 2.5(through a 60 hour game) times to unlock Ultimaniac and you can only fight Ultimaniac enemies in Arcade Mode.

Tarnpanzer

And you cant select the highest difficulty at first, you have to play through the game 2.5(through a 60 hour game) times to unlock Ultimaniac and you can only fight Ultimaniac enemies in Arcade Mode.

Maybe mods can fix the difficulty.

As long as the combat system is not worse than XV I can stomach the rest of XVIs flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Maybe mods can fix the difficulty.

As long as the combat system is not worse than XV I can stomach the rest of XVIs flaws.
Can the mods add RPG elements? Fix the horrendous characters mediocre dialogue and story? add party members and give them memorable dialogue?
Add new costumes and the chocobo theme? add platforming? add minigames?

This game is unsalvageable.

Hot5pur

Really surprised by the feedback...
Is this one those of those cases like God of War where it gets a free pass from the media but is an otherwise mediocre game with flashy visuals? I mean FFXVI has very high critic scores so there is some fuckery going on? I'd imagine it would get eviscerated if it was a bad FF game given how beloved the franchise is (but then again they ruined god of war and no one seemed to mind...)
(All my opinions, calm down Sony diehards)

Really surprised by the feedback...
Is this one those of those cases like God of War where it gets a free pass from the media but is an otherwise mediocre game with flashy visuals? I mean FFXVI has very high critic scores so there is some fuckery going on? I'd imagine it would get eviscerated if it was a bad FF game given how beloved the franchise is (but then again they ruined god of war and no one seemed to mind...)
(All my opinions, calm down Sony diehards)

Game reviewers in general don't play the entire game unless like CoD short. And I bet they typically play on the easiest difficulty too.

Final Fantasy is in general an easy game franchise since it's been westernized. I've only played the original DMC (and that was a long time ago) so I can't really compare it to FF16's difficulty.

Reactions: Isa
FFXVI had a lot of compelling moments for me.

Sure, the gameplay was subpar (no JRPG elements), but I wasn’t in the mood for a high-precision/execution type of game, so I put the auto-dodge ring on and played through the story (which I enjoyed… for the most part).

The visuals and audio were really special, and I’m hoping the team gets a second chance at a full-fledged title in the future… hopefully closer to the bones of Rebirth, which was more complete as a JRPG but was mired by the fact of being the middle child of a controversial saga.

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Is this one those of those cases like God of War where it gets a free pass from the media but is an otherwise mediocre game with flashy visuals?
Its flaws are the opposite of god of war. Decent combat but with absolutely disaster world, lore and characters.
I mean FFXVI has very high critic scores so there is some fuckery going on?
Journalists dont want to get blacklisted from early review copies by giving a poor score.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Pros:

- combat is flashy, nice moveset
- graphics are good
- soundtrack is great
- boss battles are a treat (visually that is)
- first villain setup is fantastic
- voice acting is top notch

Cons:

- combat is easy to the point of boredom
- zero point to explore
- no endgame / postgame
- sidequests are dull
- almost everything resembling a RPG is stripped out.
- main quest is middling

How this got the scores it did is beyond me.

Last edited:

Rising_Hei

FFXIII was much more divisive back in the day than what FFXVI is today.
To sum it up.
FFXIII had great ideas, bad execution and writing, the combat was good but the game was barebones, it needed a truly international version with lots of upgrades to make it shine, instead, they made it a trilogy no one asked for.
FFXIII-2 fixes some of its gameplay problems, combat had great additions, but also bad ones (that bleeding system was no good, IMO), the story was a mess and they tried to pull off an "MGS 2" with Lightning.
FFXIII LR was an interesting concept, but the story is even worse and convoluted, it made me puke and I couldn't bear myself to play much of this game because of this.

FFXVI has its own flaws and problems, but the GAME is in a much better position than XIII, but FFVII Rebirth just annihilates it (this is the direction SE should take from now on).

Overall, I'm feeling like many gamers don't remember how badly regarded FFXIII was, and I've been a huge FFXIII defender.

Bojji

So many PC players are going to get bored out of their minds playing this mid game.

Overall I really liked, I want to replay it on PC with good framerate and IQ. I think this game leaves better impressions than that mess - FFVII Rebirth...

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Absolutely loved the demo. Preordered.

A Few of my shots:

53992162105_128b56fc41_o.png

53991735031_9f37977610_o.png

54000097069_58ab98e922_o.png

54000097054_962eb41a73_o.png

54000199815_4504d4728f_o.png

Oh, so hard is new game plus? It's mandatory to carry your progress over when selecting it?

I actually just started it up and looked to remind me.

You can create a Easy or Normal NG+ but that's where you would select the "Final Fantasy" difficulty, which is the Hard.

I think the Ultimaniacs difficulty is just FF except you only have one big potion and one small max.

Does it have minigames?

Nothing that's not combat related, at least from what I remember.

BehemothBlade

Neo Member
Absolutely loved the demo. Preordered.

A Few of my shots:

53992162105_128b56fc41_o.png

53991735031_9f37977610_o.png

54000097069_58ab98e922_o.png

54000097054_962eb41a73_o.png

54000199815_4504d4728f_o.png
These look worse than FFXV.

Nothing that's not combat related, at least from what I remember.
The combat related ones are QTEs.
Also ifrit mode combat system is completely different from clive's base moveset and none of the base moveset carry through, meaning everything you learned with his base meveset is moot.

DMC5 was not like that. Sin form is optional and can be turned on and off as you fight the same enemies.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

No?
XIII and XV were still Final Fantasy.
16 rejects the fans and its heritage by imitating game of thronns.
We get it, you don't like the game. Maybe take a break from replying to every post in the thread before you get a formal warning from the mods.

I am interested in the mod situation to see what can be done regarding the game pacing. I'd love to see a mod that cuts some of the slower quests out (Looking at you, Mid).

Last edited:

Matchew

The combat might be very different. But, FF16 is Final Fantasy everywhere else. They really brought to life how the orginal 1-6 would look like with modern graphics. On GeForce Now this game runs like butter, so smooth.

SkylineRKR

If they cut every enemy health bar by half it would make it a much better game.

True.

Because while this game is very easy and its hard to lose, elites and bosses can take like 15 or 30 minutes to beat. Simply because your basic melee and magic damage is non existent. You need to wait for cooldowns to deal damage, rinse repeat. Even perfect evasions don't hand out a visible damage bonus. And you can't launch these kind of enemies either, not even when they're staggered.

Another issue is that there are eikon skills that charge very slow but deal good damage, and there are ones that barely deal damage but stagger enemies fast such as the projectile reversal. They all share the same skillslots though, so you have to choose.

If the damage was greatly boosted, or enemy health was cut the game was a bit less repetitive to play at least, probably for the better.

danklord

Gold Member
I love this game, thought it was an easy 9/10 on PS (minus the graphical performance but the base PS5 is pretty weak imo) -- CANNOT WAIT to play through again on PC. The only miss for me is no ultrawide support.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
True.

Because while this game is very easy and its hard to lose, elites and bosses can take like 15 or 30 minutes to beat. Simply because your basic melee and magic damage is non existent. You need to wait for cooldowns to deal damage, rinse repeat. Even perfect evasions don't hand out a visible damage bonus. And you can't launch these kind of enemies either, not even when they're staggered.

Another issue is that there are eikon skills that charge very slow but deal good damage, and there are ones that barely deal damage but stagger enemies fast such as the projectile reversal. They all share the same skillslots though, so you have to choose.

If the damage was greatly boosted, or enemy health was cut the game was a bit less repetitive to play at least, probably for the better.

The full Titian fight sequence I literally had to pause and come back later it was taking so long.

Drake

Re-downloaded the demo because I just read they fixed the stuttering issue in cut scenes. After playing through it a bit I can say that the performance in cut scenes is definitely better, but its far from perfect. There are still stuttering issues. I want to say its 80% better than it was though.

Top Bottom