• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

What's funny is that Ocon was barely faster than Perez in Q2.

q2-monza.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Great battle at the front between the three ART cars.

EDIT: Maini should have gotten the black and orange flag. His rear wing has now exploded all over the track.

EDIT2: And this is why Niko Kari is being kicked out of Red Bull's young driver program.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vandoorne had a loss of power in Q3 and they have no idea why.
"No idea why"

Is what Honda has basically said about nearly every problem they've had this year.

Still, this should be an interesting race with Vettel having to fight his way past Stroll and Ocon as well as Bottas to mitigate Ferrari's poor qualifying.

I bet RBR are kicking themselves for taking new engines now they're losing their best qualifying positions of the year.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I bet RBR are kicking themselves for taking new engines now they're losing their best qualifying positions of the year.

Nah, it would have been madness to go any other way with Singapore coming up.

John_B

No doubt in my mind LeClerc will replace Kimi at Ferrari.
LeClerc might look like a Jedi among the F2 drivers, but come F1 he will come up short against Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo. The hype will quickly die as it did with Vandoorne. It would be better for him to spend a season with a team like Sauber and then maybe another couple of seasons with Haas.

Zaru

Going to be insane. Little surprised they've not postponed the drop to 3.

They're actually going through with that?
Honda and Renault need to gain both power and reliability, and lots of it. They're going to fall even further behind for 2018 at this rate, trying to sort that out.

Zaru

4 engines is already not enough with this engine formula, 3 is just ridiculous.

I mean, we've been going through the "how are engines supposed to last X weekends?" thing quite a few times already and it usually worked out... but there's really an argument to be made that we've hit the limits nowadays in terms of realistic part wear.

With Grosjean just getting his gearbox penalty, this 13th race in the season will have 8(!) drivers suffering grid penalties due to part wear.
I thought having half the grid suffering grid penalties was just a bug in the new F1 2017 game but it seems like a realism feature now...

Xando

Next season the limit is 3 PU components instead of 4, it's going to be even more ridiculous unless they sort things out soon.

Brawn to the rescue:

Ross Brawn say Formula 1 chiefs are pushing for an end to grid penalties in grand prix racing, saying the system has got out of control and is a turn-off for fans.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grid-penalties-end-brawn-drs-947189/?v=2&s=1&q=Ross+Brawn

Based Liberty

Fucking FIA blocking it like always though

RSP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the penalties work like this: You have four engines for a season, and if you use a fifth engine, you get a penalty of X grid places? By using the fifth, you get a new set of four engines, before you get a new penalty, right?

Why not just replace the engine 8 more times when you get a grid penalty, and also take the penalty for the next two sets of parts you might need to replace? If you do it between FP1 and 2 you might even luck out and win a few places depending on quali results. You'll have a bunch of "used" engines that are in your pool of equipment, right? Must be something I'm missing ...

Jezbollah

Aesthetics. We've already seen changes made to the sound of the car - if the look of a car is a concern (and I believe it will be next year - such as it was the year after the droopy nose shit) then it will be addressed.

If the teams dont want it, if the drivers dont want it, if the fans dont want it, dont expect it to last long. I still think the Halo is a half baked idea from a think tank of rulemakers who have consistently churned out half baked ideas and implemented them. This will be one of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the penalties work like this: You have four engines for a season, and if you use a fifth engine, you get a penalty of X grid places? By using the fifth, you get a new set of four engines, before you get a new penalty, right?

No. Penalty is per component once you're over the limit. Would be pointless otherwise.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Vandoorne a 25 place grid penalty. PU change.
What a joke.

Aesthetics. We've already seen changes made to the sound of the car - if the look of a car is a concern (and I believe it will be next year - such as it was the year after the droopy nose shit) then it will be addressed.

If the teams dont want it, if the drivers dont want it, if the fans dont want it, dont expect it to last long. I still think the Halo is a half baked idea from a think tank of rulemakers who have consistently churned out half baked ideas and implemented them. This will be one of them.

Safety >>>>>>>>> Aesthetics. And it's not that bad anyway.

Dr.Phibes

F1 never gave a fuck about aesthetics. Why should they start now? The only people who care about the looks are the same idiots who think that returning to V10s will bring back hundreds of millions of viewers.

Jezbollah

Safety >>>>>>>>> Aesthetics. And it's not that bad anyway.

Yeahhh... I'm getting somewhat used to the look of it - but it's still ugly as hell - and I still think it hasn't been really thought out. I expect it'll only last a couple of years before a more refined canopy-type design appears

(I'm very interested in seeing what Indycar does with their solution)

F1 never gave a fuck about aesthetics. Why should they start now? The only people who care about the looks are the same idiots who think that returning to V10s will bring back hundreds of millions of viewers.

Yes, they do care about aesthetics. Why do you think the current rules were implemented?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yeahhh... I'm getting somewhat used to the look of it - but it's still ugly as hell - and I still think it hasn't been really thought out. I expect it'll only last a couple of years before a more refined canopy-type design appears

Stepped noses, penis noses, shark fins. Halo will be fine. Is there a better solution? Sure, canopy seems better if they spend some more time with it, but I'd rather have a temp solution than none at all.

Dr.Phibes

Yes, they do care about aesthetics. Why do you think the current rules were implemented?
To make them go faster without increasing engine power.

Jezbollah

To make them go faster without increasing engine power.

If they were so concerned about safety, why make them go faster?

(I'll give you the reasons - they wanted to 1) make the cars look good, 2) decrease aerodynamic efficiency 3) increase physical grip and ground effect - all in yet another effort to increase racing - the show).

Because of wet qualy, do the teams get more flexibility in being able to change stuff up for the race - aero etc?

I believe they can change only a few things - but mostly tyre strategy is something they're not locked into.

Xando

Renault won't supply fourth team, so unless STR goes to Honda, no Renault engines for Mclaren

Alain Prost heavily hinted the McLaren deal is gonna happen on Sky Germany yesterday.

IIRC he said something like announcement is a matter of weeks if not days

DBT85

Why not just replace the engine 8 more times when you get a grid penalty, and also take the penalty for the next two sets of parts you might need to replace? If you do it between FP1 and 2 you might even luck out and win a few places depending on quali results. You'll have a bunch of "used" engines that are in your pool of equipment, right? Must be something I'm missing ...
No, you get 4 of each component at the start of the season, these do not include engines used in testing, filming days etc. Only race weekends.

As soon as you take a single 5th component you get a grid drop, and for each subsequent part also.

What RedBull have done this weekend is take the grid penalty on a fast track where they know they aren't strong so that they have a fresh batch ready for Singapore.

In previous seasons teams would give a driver a whole new PU for FP1, FP2 and FP3 and only take the 50+ place grid penalty at that one race as once you've got 20 place penalty it doesn't matter how much more you get as the grid is only 20 cars. That then gave you 3 brand new units to use for the rest of the season. That's been changed now so that some of the penalty would carry over to the next weekend if you take more than one part of the same type.

They've got to do something as it's just crazy. Financial penalty isn't going to work as top teams can afford new engines every week if needed, constructors penalty is harsh if you need a new part because of a crash caused by someone else. No idea what they are going to do.

RSP

No. Penalty is per component once you're over the limit. Would be pointless otherwise.

In previous seasons teams would give a driver a whole new PU for FP1, FP2 and FP3 and only take the 50+ place grid penalty at that one race as once you've got 20 place penalty it doesn't matter how much more you get as the grid is only 20 cars. That then gave you 3 brand new units to use for the rest of the season. That's been changed now so that some of the penalty would carry over to the next weekend if you take more than one part of the same type.

Ah, right. Thanks for explaining!

Renault won't supply fourth team, so unless STR goes to Honda, no Renault engines for Mclaren

I think Ted's Notebook mentioned that RB has a veto on what teams Renault is able to supply engines to, and that they might block them from giving engines to McLaren. Not sure if that is correct.

Jezbollah

I think Ted's Notebook mentioned that RB has a veto on what teams Renault is able to supply engines to, and that they might block them from giving engines to McLaren. Not sure if that is correct.

During the rain delay, Sky were interviewing Christian Horner - and he stated that he has no problem whatsoever with McLaren having Renault engines.

Now, I know Horner doesn't necessarily equal Red Bull, but I suspect any kind of objection they may have might be tempered by the exclusivity and potential of a Honda deal at STR and any chance of them being truly competitive giving them the option of taking that engine on in the future.

RSP

During the rain delay, Sky were interviewing Christian Horner - and he stated that he has no problem whatsoever with McLaren having Renault engines.

Now, I know Horner doesn't necessarily equal Red Bull, but I suspect any kind of objection they may have might be tempered by the exclusivity and potential of a Honda deal at STR and any chance of them being truly competitive giving them the option of taking that engine on in the future.

Maybe having even more Renault engines in the field will help speed up development? RB is pretty confident in their overall package, since they don't seen Renault themselves getting very close either this season.

One reason to block it could be to limit competition for the 3rd place in the constructors championship for as long as the 1.6L engines are being used.

DBT85

Because of wet qualy, do the teams get more flexibility in being able to change stuff up for the race - aero etc?

Barely anything. Basically just the front wing, wet engine modes and brake cooling. Ride height is taken care of with the wet tyres.

Spending all the teams can start on whatever tyre they like and all should have plenty of fresh rubbber, but they've also all had less running on them so we might see tyres lasting longer or shorter than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom