• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

whitehawk

Banned
My god, God of War 3 on the 16th, and then Perfect Dark on the 17th. It's too much awesome, I CAN"T HANDLE IT AUUGUHGHUAUHUUGH!!!!ASDF

878sn82.gif

Konosuke

BlueSummers said:
Well I guess you do want an argument about this. I'm not saying that Kratos should just give up, nor did I ever say that. I simply stated that Helios is the god of the sun and gets taken out very quickly. They are not unstoppable, but each god should be more of a challenge.
Kratos himself is a god.
God of War and Son of Zeus
It's not surprising that he can rip off the head of Helios so easily.

BeeDog

I wonder if the very first "ingame graphics" trailer is in the game at all (the one where Kratos runs through the cool-looking forest, beats various enemies, destroys the chain and fucks up the cyclops while the ground's shifting). Does anyone know?

Honolulu

Neo Member
Konosuke said:
Kratos himself is a god.
God of War and Son of Zeus
It's not surprising that he can rip off the head of Helios so easily.

He's just a demigod now. he lost his godhood in the beginning of GoW2 when he tapped all his power into the Sword of Olympus. He does however have the ability to travel back and forth in time... which might be a bit of trouble for the gods :p

-viper-

Banned
Honolulu said:
He's just a demigod now. he lost his godhood in the beginning of GoW2 when he tapped all his power into the Sword of Olympus. He does however have the ability to travel back and forth in time... which might be a bit of trouble for the gods :p
But he
killed Ares as a mortal
. So, Kratos is ready to kill whatever the circumstances :p

Honolulu

Neo Member
-viper- said:
But he
killed Ares as a mortal
. So, Kratos is ready to kill whatever the circumstances :p

Well, yes and no.
He was always a demigod, without knowing so in the first game though. but he had a little bit of help for his task of killing Ares, Pandora's Box
Anyways, if you stand in his path... you're most likely going to die
in the most horrible fashion
:lol

Konosuke

Honolulu said:
When did he gain the ability to control time? In Chains of Olympus? Didn't have the time to play it yet.

Enojado

nskinnear said:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4406692989_f9412c62b8_o.png[IMG]

[url]http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/want-to-play-god-of-war-iii-early-come-to-our-gdc-san-francisco-meetup/[/url]

Any gaffers going to this event?[/QUOTE]

I think I'll be going. I'll be coming in on BART from the East Bay (looks like I'll walk from Civic Center BART). I probably can't be there at noon, more like 3 or 4ish. Be happy to either take BART in with a fellow gaffer or meet up at the event. PM me if interested.

BlueSummers said:
Well I guess you do want an argument about this. I'm not saying that Kratos should just give up, nor did I ever say that. I simply stated that Helios is the god of the sun and gets taken out very quickly. They are not unstoppable, but each god should be more of a challenge.

How much awesomeness do you EVER hear about Helios in Greek Mythology? Not much.

Major:
Ares · Aphrodite · Apollo · Athena · Artemis · Hestia · Hera · Hermes · Hephaestus · Demeter · Poseidon · Zeus

Titans:
Aether · Chaos · Cronos · Erebus · Gaia · Hemera · Nyx · Tartarus · Uranus

Lesser gods:
Eros · Hebe · Hecate · Helios · Herakles · Dionysus · Iris · Selene · Hades · Pan · Nike

Atrus

Gold Member
corrosivefrost said:
How much awesomeness do you EVER hear about Helios in Greek Mythology? Not much.

Major:
Ares · Aphrodite · Apollo · Athena · Artemis · Hestia · Hera · Hermes · Hephaestus · Demeter · Poseidon · Zeus

Titans:

Lesser gods:
Eros · Hebe · Hecate · Helios · Herakles · Dionysus · Iris · Selene · Hades · Pan · Nike

Hades is one of the six original Olympians and a veteran of the war with the Titans so he's a major deity.

Kittonwy

Banned
Honolulu said:

Helios is a wuss.
Indifferent2.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
[GeekRant]
So does anyone wonder what happens in GoW universe to the gods that Kratos kills?
I mean the way things are depicted with Kratos and Titans, they just get sent to Tartarus, which apparently isn't much of a hold-up for many :p
Since they're all blood related to Chronos anyway, I assume they follow the same rule, so what happens when Tartarus is packed full of all the gods (
and presumably Titans again, seeing that Kratos turns on them as well by GTTV footage
), and there's no more Hades to keep them imprisoned.
Actually what happens to Hades when HE gets killed? :/
[/GeekRant]

jett

D-Member
Fafalada said:
[GeekRant]
So does anyone wonder what happens in GoW universe to the gods that Kratos kills?
I mean the way things are depicted with Kratos and Titans, they just get sent to Tartarus, which apparently isn't much of a hold-up for many :p
Since they're all blood related to Chronos anyway, I assume they follow the same rule, so what happens when Tartarus is packed full of all the gods (
and presumably Titans again, seeing that Kratos turns on them as well by GTTV footage
[/GeekRant]

SPOILAR from GTTV footage

Apparently Athena appears in spirit/ghost form
. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.

Honolulu

Neo Member
corrosivefrost said:

Major:

Titans:

Lesser gods:

I don't think the concept of Kaos according to Greek Mythology was that it was a titan, it wasn't really a deity per say even, more like the primordial soup of everything.
From which the primordial deities/entities/locations like Tartarus(real hell) and Gaia(Mother Earth) were created.... which makes it even more interesting considering what Kratos said in the first teaser trailer.
"in the end, there will be only Chaos"

so, about this Kratos power level discussion. I just realized, regarding Kratos Rage power

GoW1 - Demigod Kratos + God's gift > Ares
GoW2 - Demigod Kratos + Titan's gift > Zeus
GoW3 - Demigod Kratos + Titan's gift (may not stay for the whole game if Kratos is really attacking Titans at the end of demo) + Blade of Olmpus > everyone else:D

from what I read,
blade of olympus in GoW3 is now used specifically only during rage mode. also, if I'm not mistaken, challenge mode will be called challenge of Olympus in the same vein as GoW1 and 2 were called Challenge of the Gods and challenge of the Titan. I assume the same with what the hardest difficulty will be called.

so, if Kratos have possession of Blade of Olympus throughout the whole games. it's pretty understandable how he's pawning Gods and Titans left and right because Zeus are pawning Titans left and right with that blade too in their last war.:lol

Honolulu said:
I don't think the concept of Kaos according to Greek Mythology was that it was a titan, it wasn't really a deity per say even, more like the primordial soup of everything.
From which the primordial deities/entities/locations like Tartarus(real hell) and Gaia(Mother Earth) were created.... which makes it even more interesting considering what Kratos said in the first teaser trailer.
"in the end, there will be only Chaos"

It was my quick edit of the wikipedia listing -- most of the "Primordal Gods" or whatever it originally said were Titans, so I subbed the title in. :)

Fafalada said:
[GeekRant]
[/GeekRant]

I've heard interview
where it's said the domain you fight Hades crumbles as you beat up Hades. so I assume when Hades died, that place is gone with him. would be one way to explain why there are no more Greek myth since they're all gone along with their gods

Honolulu

Neo Member
oh, I'm not pointing fingers. :)
There are a lot of weird stuff going on in Greek Mythology that i don't completely understand... It's a bit like quantum physics, something can be more than one thing at the same time. But I guess that's the norm regarding religion and why it's called fiction. :p

Also, Chronos(Primordial Deity/Time itself) and Cronus/Cronos(the Titan) are two completey different things. :p

Lifejumper said:
Gamezone interview with John Hight Director of Product Development at SSM

http://www.gamezone.com/news/03_04_10_10_14AM.htm
I love this quote:

A rumor went around that even though this was the end of the God of War trilogy, that it wouldn’t be the end of Kratos. What might you guys have planned?

John: Well, I think we want to do more with God of War. It’s a neat area to set fiction in, the battles are cool, the monsters are accessible and Kratos is certainly an iconic character. But the way that we do things in Santa Monica isn’t really focused around what marketing guys want us to do, it’s more that we go to our creative heads and ask them what they’d like to do.

eh, I'm sure ideas presented by creative heads will still need approval that will take marketability into consideration. it's not like Stig can demand Kratos orgy qte under 'artistic merit' and got green lighted by the producer. =P

corrosivefrost said:

Major:

Titans:

Lesser gods:

In some of the Greeks' myth, Helios and Apollo are the same god.

I've been reading some pretty different and vague answer by SSM regarding what's next ofter GoW3.
-first it's about how Kratos story is done by not the franchise,
-then someone else said that they can always find a way to bring anyone back.
-then in one of the interview Stig made a remark that they need to paced GoW carefully, question whether there's a need for another GoW so soon after 3, and overall got the impression that SSM is taking a break from GoW
-now this producer int said they want to make more GoW

I got the feeling that the producer John Hight want to make more GoW, but Stig are more wary about making another GoW. I hope I'm wrong and there's no conflict brewing inside SSM

Dogenzaka

Banned
Having just played God of War 1 last Sunday, thought it was an interesting red herring when in the secrets section they talk about the fate of Chronos, and how it took a weird twist to modern era where a "new warrior" would explore the remains of Pandora's Temple.

Looks like they kind of effed up that storyline with how Chronos joined the Titans and Kratos to storm Olympus, huh?

Honolulu

Neo Member
Callibretto said:
I've been reading some pretty different and vague answer by SSM regarding what's next ofter GoW3.
-first it's about how Kratos story is done by not the franchise,
-then someone else said that they can always find a way to bring anyone back.
-then in one of the interview Stig made a remark that they need to paced GoW carefully, question whether there's a need for another GoW so soon after 3, and overall got the impression that SSM is taking a break from GoW
-now this producer int said they want to make more GoW

I got the feeling that the producer John Hight want to make more GoW, but Stig are more wary about making another GoW. I hope I'm wrong and there's no conflict brewing inside SSM

A spiritual successor would be a good solution I think. Same genre, different setting. Try to evolve their winning gameplay formula, or tackle it from a different direction.
As seen with the cestus i.e.
I bet the Artists at Santa Monica are a wee bit tired of concepting and modeling beasts from greek mythology right now.

Callibretto said:
That's not the impression I got at all from this interview. In fact, it seems like there is a consensus that they want to continue GOW at some point, but move on to something else in the immediate future.

Dogenzaka said:
Having just played God of War 1 last Sunday, thought it was an interesting red herring when in the secrets section they talk about the fate of Chronos, and how it took a weird twist to modern era where a "new warrior" would explore the remains of Pandora's Temple.

Looks like they kind of effed up that storyline with how Chronos joined the Titans and Kratos to storm Olympus, huh?

Have u played GoW2?

Dogenzaka

Banned
DualShadow said:
Have u played GoW2?

Didn't finish it...I'm sort of getting to that now :p

Well I mean in the secrets of GoW it shows that Chronos dies with the temple on his back and modern day people find it.

Well....if you look at GoW3...Chronos doesn't still have a temple on his back, does he?

By the way, I saw that they tried to incorporate Atlantis into GoW2 but it never made it in due to time constraints.

Hopefully it's back in in GoW3 :)

Dogenzaka said:
Didn't finish it...I'm sort of getting to that now :p

Well I mean in the secrets of GoW it shows that Chronos dies with the temple on his back and modern day people find it.

Well....if you look at GoW3...Chronos doesn't still have a temple on his back, does he?

By the way, I saw that they tried to incorporate Atlantis into GoW2 but it never made it in due to time constraints.

Hopefully it's back in in GoW3 :)

:lol You should really finish it. If i remember correctly they explain all that in GoW2 however i still think there are some plot holes, minor ones tho.

Edit: That pic didn't last long at all :lol

Top Bottom