• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Dogenzaka

Banned
all I want to know is if there are more bosses than in GoW2 and if they're better than they were in GoW2 :p

Like maybe you could spoiler-tag (or PM me, actually) how many bosses you've run into in the hours that you've played, just so I have an idea :p

Dogenzaka said:
all I want to know is if there are more bosses than in GoW2 and if they're better than they were in GoW2 :p
ditto. how do the boss fights compare to the crazyness and frequency of the boss battles in GoW2. I didnt really like GoW1, but 2 is hot. I hope its more like Barlog`s game, and less like Jaffe`s game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
theignoramus said:
ditto. how do the boss fights compare to the crazyness and frequency of the boss battles in GoW3.

GoW2 had some of the best designed boss battles I've seen in an action game in many years, so I hope GoW3 trumps it.

Perseus battle <333

Dogenzaka

Banned
Well it's that Shockwave Flash player crashes. If you google it, it's a problem that happens to many many users and it's a bug in the Shockwave player that apparently isn't fixed. GRR I want to see :(

Magnus

I've managed to actually get stuck. There's a very obvious doorway you're supposed to go through, and it seems unreachable. I can't find a switch or lever, nor an event anywhere that triggers access to it. Been wandering around like an idiot for half an hour.

Help Jim! :lol

edit- never mind, got it. Game's logic in the cutscenes when it comes to directing you to your next goal can be completely retarded sometimes.

Callibretto said:
don't forget the ending of Chain of Olympus where Kratos fall from the sky and Athena (and someone else) saved him and took zeuz gauntlet and other item.

btw, I'm still not sure, who's the god that's beside Athena during that ending? is it Zeus?

and in GoW2, who's sending Pegasus? Athena?
I think it's Helios because Helios has the shield afterwards.

I just completed the first God of War from the GoW Collection and I was blown away by how impressive this port was. The textures were impressive given they are essentially just the PS2 textures in HD, and the framerate was rock steady. I never played any of the GoW's on the PS2 so everything was new to me. It was helpful to me in understanding Kratos's motivation and why the fuck is he so angry! And the dude is a badass. While there may be other action games out there that hold the crown for most technical game mechanics such as Bayonetta, there's nothing quite as cathartic as ripping through armies of enemies and Greek Gods with blades chained to your wrists. The scale impressed me, something I didn't expect having already played Uncharted 2!! And we're talking about a PS2 game. WOW.

Now I need to go on to part 2, reportedly a significant improvement over the first. I hate to admit it, but I think I won't be able to play GoW III by launch date. It's already preordered and everything, it'll be in my possession on Tuesday, but I think I need to go through part II first due to all the praise it's received to truly appreciate the jump to GoWIII. Regardless of when I get started on GoW III, just by going from what I've seen in part one, it's finally dawning on me how potentially epic the PS3 entry will be. Kratos help us all.

Dogenzaka

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
I just completed the first God of War from the GoW Collection and I was blown away by how impressive this port was. The textures were impressive given they are essentially just the PS2 textures in HD, and the framerate was rock steady. I never played any of the GoW's on the PS2 so everything was new to me. It was helpful to me in understanding Kratos's motivation and why the fuck is he so angry! And the dude is a badass. While there may be other action games out there that hold the crown for most technical game mechanics such as Bayonetta, there's nothing quite as cathartic as ripping through armies of enemies and Greek Gods with blades chained to your wrists. The scale impressed me, something I didn't expect having already played Uncharted 2!! And we're talking about a PS2 game. WOW.

Now I need to go on to part 2, reportedly a significant improvement over the first. I hate to admit it, but I think I won't be able to play GoW III by launch date. It's already preordered and everything, it'll be in my possession on Tuesday, but I think I need to go through part II first due to all the praise it's received to truly appreciate the jump to GoWIII. Regardless of when I get started on GoW III, just by going from what I've seen in part one, it's finally dawning on me how potentially epic the PS3 entry will be. Kratos help us all.

I just finished GoW2 a couple of nights ago, and it is by far a masterpiece--even moreso than the original. More boss-fights (in fact, incredible, memorable boss fights), more moves, weapons, more interesting and woven plot with Greek mythology, better puzzles, and the scale and creativity is even larger. The final boss fights were among the most memorable I've had in years.

You really should get on GoW2 immediately.

Dogenzaka said:
I just finished GoW2 a couple of nights ago, and it is by far a masterpiece--even moreso than the original. More boss-fights (in fact, incredible, memorable boss fights), more moves, weapons, more interesting and woven plot with Greek mythology, better puzzles, and the scale and creativity is even larger. The final boss fights were among the most memorable I've had in years.

You really should get on GoW2 immediately.

Agggh I played 7 hours straight to finish GoW literally about 20 minutes ago. But Kratos does not feel fatigue. Let's do this!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I'm in the same boat, almost at the end of 1. Excited to start #2 as everybody is hyping the shit out of the start of it. Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, two is the superior game (by far)

enjoy it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Though I imported the Collection when it launched, by the time I actually got around to begin playing it a mate wished to borrow it so he could finish the games in time for GoW3. I only got around 20 minutes into the original, so I didn't get the chance to see GoW2 in HD. The original certainly looked nice, though.

That changed yesterday. Holy shit, GoW2 in HD looks damn nice. I couldn't recall the section I played at all, so I'll have to play through the Collection myself before GoW3.

Magnus

I can't really compare 3 to 2, having not gotten far in 2 at all, but 3's fights are pretty fucking impressive in scale and design. More than anything, it's the visual design of the characters you're fighting, and the events or chases that lead up to them. Man. So over the top!

Just went through a chase sequence that fucking ruled. I don't think I was as blown away (technically) as I was with, say, the chase in Uncharted 2 in Nepal that climaxed with a helicopter gunning for you and dropping troops as you hopped across signposts, balconies and rooftops, but it was almost quite as exhilarating, since the scale here is just so much larger.

Re: all the bosses so far:

I really didn't think we'd get to fight and pick off the gods one at a time like this. THE GODS. Taking them down, ripping them to shreds, and stealing a piece of them to keep, it's just so ridiculously over-the-top and epic! It feels like you're ending a massive chapter in this mythology. It's so final. :lol

Re: boss 3:

The Hermes chase was fun and clearly the centerpiece of the encounter, since the fight barely lasted a minute. But man, I was screaming out to the tv, "Fuck, Kratos better rip this fucker's legs off!" as he kept taunting Kratos relentlessly in every scene. Lo and fucking behold: at the end, Kratos eyes the bloodied god's feet as he lies whimpering on the ground.

And then, the greatest, most hilariously brutal scene in a game to date takes place. I lost my mind with laughter at the retribution. :lol :lol

The brutality is so cathartic and ridiculous. I wonder how something like this got by with just an M rating sometimes. :lol I mean, even the beheading everyone saw in the demo was insanely brutal -- made me sick to my stomach the first time I saw a gif of it.

I can seriously only take the button-mashing action in this kind of game for a few hours at a time though. It gets so repetitive, but at least new abilities as you go keep it fresh and interesting to a degree. I think the sound of blades carving through flesh will ring in my ears as I sleep, lol.

If they truly do end this series on 3, let's hope that the closing credits is in a style similar to Return of the King with art depicting the all the characters and key events from the 3 games.

Magnus,

In playing this game, does the entire game take place on Mount Olympus, or are there other vistas that the game takes place in? On a pacing level, the Mount Olympus structure looks too small to set the entire game in. In every depiction I have seen of Mount Olympus -- whether it was in movies or television shows -- Zeus' columned structure, to me, always resembled a small private penthouse, rather than an imposing fortress. Is the iconic structure you see Zeus in larger than it appears in the clips that we've seen, or is it just one part of the game's areas Kratos traverses in. Rock and ruined marble are not all I want to see in this game. I hope the scenery offers a more appealing variety, given what the PS3 is more than capable of doing. After all the varied locales that the player explored in the first 2 games, Mount Olympus sounds very limited in scope, when one's perception of that area is based upon iconic imagery alone. Please elaborate if you can to assuage my concerns.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ULTROS! said:
Whoever got the game, is
Stheno, the 3rd sister of Medusa and Euryale
there?

Nothing's been confirmed so far AFAIK, but supposedly she's one of the bosses, yeah

Sp3eD said:
I'm in the same boat, almost at the end of 1. Excited to start #2 as everybody is hyping the shit out of the start of it. Can't wait.

GoW 2 improves on everything found in GoW 1, maybe except for the story.

deepbrown

Phil Wilkins said:
I couldn't quote specific percentages, but I would agree that the majority are real time. It's been an increasing percentage over the three games as our cut-scene technology improves. Bruno could give you better numbers than I could, since he's overseen all of them, whereas I've just had to look at the ones with issues.
Thank you very much Phil =)

Pallaris

Is God of War Collection getting a separate UK release? I figured it would be out by now but cant find it anywhere.

Anyone ?

N30RYU

Magnus can you look what languages are included (sub & dub) in the game changing the PS3 language settings or in the game menu, please?

Thanks

Empty

Pallaris said:
Is God of War Collection getting a separate UK release? I figured it would be out by now but cant find it anywhere.

Anyone ?

They said it would, and the BBFC rated it, but it doesn't look like it is actually going to happen before GOW3 given how close we are to release without seeing it. Just order on videogameplus.ca if you want it, it will be about the same price anyway.

OceansAndEarth said:
Where is 'here'?

Saudi Arabia. Look at his profile.

I think it will be banned if any of the previous GOW games got banned. And I know you can probably get this game easily even if its banned if you drive a little ;)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
webcivilian said:
Saudi Arabia. Look at his profile.

I think it will be banned if any of the previous GOW games got banned. And I know you can probably get this game easily even if its banned if you drive a little ;)
Yeah but it'll end up costing more. Heavy Rain was banned recently but we still managed to snag a bunch of the Asian copies for a good price. I hope this game gets similar treatment but I highly doubt it.

Why on earth would you ban a game just because it has the word God in the title? smh

sam27368

Banned
Apologies, I know this has been posted already, but when is the review embargo lifted?
Just finished GoW2 for the second time since it's release. Imo, one of the greatest action games ever made.

Magnus

To those asking by PM and post, I don't see language options available anywhere in the game, and changing the language options in the System Settings on the XMB doesn't seem to have any effect on the game either.

:(

Baha

sam27368 said:
Apologies, I know this has been posted already, but when is the review embargo lifted?
Just finished GoW2 for the second time since it's release. Imo, one of the greatest action games ever made.

Embargo lifts tomorrow I believe.

KAOz

Short bus special
nskinnear said:
NA - March 16
EU - March 19
AUS - March 18
JPN - March 25

March 19th is just for the UK. Mainland EU has the release at the 17th. (At least here in Sweden, so most of EU should have it then too.)

Top Bottom