• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Torgo

Finished it for review yesterday. The embargo lifts on Monday at 11 a.m. CST, which is when my review will be up. I'll be doing screen grabs and some HD Video caps tonight for the post as well. :D

Donos

Torgo said:
Finished it for review yesterday. The embargo lifts on Monday at 11 a.m. CST, which is when my review will be up. I'll be doing screen grabs and some HD Video caps tonight for the post as well. :D
for or against?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Torgo said:
and I'm truly out of here. See you guys in a week+. :)

Shadow780

Torgo said:

Live show followed by GoW3?

Torgo Hype meter = ?

Cruzader

Banned
Elan tedronai said:
we need a spoilers free thread. i get the feeling this thread would go to the dogs in the coming days.
Yea, I keep skipping post which might seem spoilery.

I like knowing what score it gets from mags and when reviews go up but thats it. Dont post details w/out spoiler tags.

-viper-

Banned
Cruzader said:
Yea, I keep skipping post which might seem spoilery.

I like knowing what score it gets from mags and when reviews go up but thats it. Dont post details w/out spoiler tags.
I accidentally clicked on the Heavy Rain spoiler thread. :(

DexterXS

Combichristoffersen said:
Jesus, that's brutal :eek:

Yeah I can only imagine what he does to the Gods. I can't wait to see how he finishes off
Hercules
, since they are basically the same and all.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The wait for this game would be a lot easier if a bunch of assholes (GAFers excepted) didn't already have it and weren't posting youtubes that I have to exercise the will to avoid watching.

grumble said:
Is that even a word?

It's a word in sociology... so, no, it isn't a word. :p

Magnus

Are all the people who are waiting until tomorrow to post a review journalists?

Just finished myself, about five minutes ago. I'm a little awestruck. Or dumbstruck. Or both. What a game! :lol

Shorter than I expected though, almost disappointingly so.

Some thoughts later I guess. Dinner and the Oscars are calling me.

Animator

Magnus said:

Just finished myself, about five minutes ago. I'm a little awestruck. Or dumbstruck. Or both. What a game! :lol

How many hours did it take you and what difficulty?

Loudninja

Magnus said:

Nice now hurry up! ;)

Magnus

Animator said:
How many hours did it take you and what difficulty?

I'm seriously pretty terrible at action games, at least, compared to the lot of you most likely -- died plenty of times (though, you don't want to know how many were due to stupid deaths like gaps in the ground the camera wouldn't let you see clearly, or sequences like that fucking Icarus Vent in the demo -- I could ace one, and get stuck for over 10+ deaths on another, it was some pretty awful and unforgiving design).

That said:

Normal (challenging enough for me, definitely)
8:15 (some of you will probably clear it in 6:30-7:00)

Back later to discuss.

Magnus

nskinnear said:
They can if they want to be assassinated by the Sony Ninjas :p

They can't speak privately about it here? Does that mean I can't? :D

Without getting into too many details, did you encounter any glitches?

Outright failure of the R1 button to work sometimes while doing tricky jumps, plumetting me to my death.

Fell through the floor to my death once too.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Magnus said:

How long did it take you? What mode? Did you find all the items?

EDIT: NVM, answered.

[EDIT] 8 hours on Normal, huh? I wonder how long it will take on the highest difficulty.

Ruh roh. Hype dwindling. That's less than what it took me to complete either GoW1 or GoW2.
GoW2's length was perfect and amazing, and I hit almost 20 hours.

I'm scared now.

Margalis

Banned
died plenty of times (though, you don't want to know how many were due to stupid deaths like gaps in the ground the camera wouldn't let you see clearly, or sequences like that fucking Icarus Vent in the demo -- I could ace one, and get stuck for over 10+ deaths on another, it was some pretty awful and unforgiving design).

In my experience playing 1 and 2 95% of my deaths were due to platforming stuff and 5% to actual enemies. It's a staple of the God of War series that the enemies are not nearly as threatening as holes in the ground, rickety beams and the dreaded rotating spike column. At this point you have to imagine it's intentionally designed that way for whatever reason.

SamBishop

Banned
Magnus said:
They can't speak privately about it here? Does that mean I can't? :D

We're bound by the embargo (which means no discussions about the game before the reviews can go live), but it sounds like you aren't. Technically, I never got a notice as to when my stuff was embargoed (I got review code at the event a few weeks back), so I could start talking about the game now, I suppose, but that ain't happening.

Besides, all can be revealed in a few hours anyway. I need to start cranking on the review. And interviews! Ahhhhhh, and GDC is in two days! Ahhhhhhhh!!

wizword

Banned
Magnus said:
I'm seriously pretty terrible at action games, at least, compared to the lot of you most likely -- died plenty of times (though, you don't want to know how many were due to stupid deaths like gaps in the ground the camera wouldn't let you see clearly, or sequences like that fucking Icarus Vent in the demo -- I could ace one, and get stuck for over 10+ deaths on another, it was some pretty awful and unforgiving design).

That said:

Normal (challenging enough for me, definitely)
8:15 (some of you will probably clear it in 6:30-7:00)

Back later to discuss.
What I feared. A 8:15 minute game only. What were they thinking. That is way too short. No excuse. God of war games take me a little longer (around 10-12 hours for god of war 1) when some people beat it in 4-5 hours. And god of war 2 15 hours. But there is no excuse for 10 hour game when the last iteration was around 5 hours as long.

Magnus

I nearly put the controller down after I hit 15 deaths on one vent sequence. Holy fuck. You get hit by a fucking beam or whatever that's sticking out, and between the dust, rocks and blood that cover your screen for a full second after the collision, and your inability to move while stuck in the "injury" animation, it's practically impossible to move in time for the next obstacle. I had to start mapping out and memorizing exactly what would be where, and could only do it with trial and error deaths into the double-digits. Fuck that.

Dogenzaka

Banned
On one hand, I really want to watch GameTrailers' review when it comes out tomorrow.
On the other hand, I really don't.

Maybe I'll just listen to the audio and ignore the clips :)

wizword

Banned
nskinnear said:
8 or so hours is a good length for me as long as the game is well-paced enough. Sure, I'd like it to be a lot longer, but I would never want to sacrifice quality pacing for longer length.
8 hours sucks regardless of pacing. I would prefer a perfect paced 12 hour game over a perfect paced 8 hour game any time of the day. Uncharted 2 among thieves was longer than this.

Jb

Magnus said:
I nearly put the controller down after I hit 15 deaths on one vent sequence. Holy fuck. You get hit by a fucking beam or whatever that's sticking out, and between the dust, rocks and blood that cover your screen for a full second after the collision, and your inability to move while stuck in the "injury" animation, it's practically impossible to move in time for the next obstacle. I had to start mapping out and memorizing exactly what would be where, and could only do it with trial and error deaths into the double-digits. Fuck that.

Icarus vents are the new spinning blades confirmed

Magnus

It wasn't a recorded time on the screen, just my best estimate of how long it took after the last save before the end, added to the save time, minus the hour I left it unpaused to attend to an emergency :lol

What's funny is that I usually take a good 2-3 hours more than most gaf estimates I see of game lengths when it's come to other action games in the past, like the Resident Evils or MGS'.

It definitely felt short. =/ @wizword, Uncharted 2 was definitely longer, by far.

I'm not sure if anyone wants any other information (obviously, I'd spoiler tag anything if necessary) -- I could describe fights in tags, or some of the unlockables I got, or what-have-you.

Top Bottom