• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Magnus

That NextGN interview sounds like it was written by an excited fan. The typos don't help. :lol

Can someone link me to where the developers discussed a "controversial" element in the game that might 'surprise' people? I'd like to read that with the benefit of hindsight.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Square Triangle said:
So the internet will be flooded with reviews tomorrow once 12 midnight strikes?

Imma have to keep a check on Meta and Gamerankings

Nope, 9AM tomorrow morning.

Magnus said:
I nearly put the controller down after I hit 15 deaths on one vent sequence. Holy fuck. You get hit by a fucking beam or whatever that's sticking out, and between the dust, rocks and blood that cover your screen for a full second after the collision, and your inability to move while stuck in the "injury" animation, it's practically impossible to move in time for the next obstacle. I had to start mapping out and memorizing exactly what would be where, and could only do it with trial and error deaths into the double-digits. Fuck that.

Ugh, don't remind me. I'm glad it wasn't just me who experienced this. Climbing against the flaming boulder stuff was fucking annoying too. Sometimes the controls wouldn't respond when you're trying to dodge left and right. Too many cheap deaths when platforming too.

Otherwise, there's no question that this probably the best game this gen has seen thus far.

Who cares how long it is? If the game was 4 hours long, it would still be worth it to me, I already know that. Quality, not quantity, people.

nskinnear said:
8 or so hours is a good length for me as long as the game is well-paced enough. Sure, I'd like it to be a lot longer, but I would never want to sacrifice quality pacing for longer length.

I agree with this. I passed GOW 2 in a little over 8 hours and it was very well paced that I didn't feel dissapointed. Even so, I was hoping for at least a 10 hour game. And what's up with Playstation magazine saying it took them 15 hours to beat it?

ghostofsparta said:
I agree with this. I passed GOW 2 in a little over 8 hours and it was very well paced that I didn't feel dissapointed. Even so, I was hoping for at least a 10 hour game. And what's up with Playstation magazine saying it took them 15 hours to beat it?
Maybe it took them 15 hours to beat? I beat GoW2 in 14-15 hours as well. ;D

Magnus

I'm going to replay a bit of Normal with some of the unlockables for fun, but I'm just not cut out for Hard or Chaos. This was an epic experience, but kind of a one-off for me.

Uncharted 2 did so much more for me, and was the richer package, particularly for all the multiplayer options included. I'd favor UC2 if only looking at the single player as well. That's still my game of the gen, easily.

reKon said:
why the fuck would you rush through a game like this?

I...didn't? :(

Dogenzaka

Banned
nskinnear said:
Well, yeah. But as the length of the game increases, it becomes more difficult to make the game feel like it isn't dragging on.

Besides, it's not like 8 hours is a confirmed time for everyone that plays the game, lol. We all have different play-styles. Personally, I like to search for all the treasures and bonuses I can find. So, I might have a longer time than someone who just rushes through.

[EDIT] NextGN gave this game a 10/10: http://www.nextgn.com/2010/03/08/god-of-war-3-review/

Which is why God of War 2 is so incredible. It was my 20 hours of completely varied locales, puzzles, perfect plot pacing, great boss fights and something new to play with every few minutes.

If GoW3 is as disappointingly short as I hear it may, then after the giant smog of hype for the graphics clears, it's possible the community might see it as underperforming as a sequel in comparison to God of War 2, which exponentially increased and improved EVERYTHING about GoW1.

Veelk

Banned
Marcus, can you please count up and tell me how many boss fights there are? I want to watch the videos of
Cronos
, but if there aren't too many boss fights sprinkled throughout the game, I'd rather just keep it a surprise.

Edit: Sorry folks, I thought that was common knowledge. My bad.

Sidzed2

I can't believe some people give a crap about game length.

A game should be as long as it needs to be. There are no rules. It's all about quality, pacing, and properly exploring mechanics. If God of War 3 needs 8 hours, then 8 hours it is. If they are brilliant hours, who cares?

Personally, I'd rather 8 replayable, engaging hours than 20 drawn out, repetitive hours.

Magnus

Generic, dude, cover up that spoiler quick.
Many don't know Cronos is in this game.

Sidzed - They were certainly a quality 8 hours (more like a quality 6, I didn't care for some of the areas in the game much) -- but there's a lot of underused potential in my opinion, given that this is the end of the trilogy.

reKon

Banned
Magnus said:
I'm going to replay a bit of Normal with some of the unlockables for fun, but I'm just not cut out for Hard or Chaos. This was an epic experience, but kind of a one-off for me.

Uncharted 2 did so much more for me, and was the richer package, particularly for all the multiplayer options included. I'd favor UC2 if only looking at the single player as well. That's still my game of the gen, easily.

I...didn't? :(

I was just asking in general. Didn't know you were the culprit who finished this in 8 :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Um, can you guys spoiler all your answer that ppls are asking? If you guys that wanna know everything from Magnus, please jump in the spoiler GTTV thread and discuss it there. Please.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sidzed2 said:

Excuse me for giving a damn about how far my $60 goes?
Are you really asking why people care how long a product they pay for lasts?

Personally, I'd rather 8 replayable, engaging hours than 20 drawn out, repetitive hours.

Irrelevant, because God of War 2 was an AMAZING nearly 15-20 hours of gameplay, which shows that it can certainly be done.

Many don't know Cronos is in this game.

How don't they? Kratos took all the Titans with him up Mt. Olympus.

Sidzed2 said:

A game should be as long as it needs to be. There are no rules. It's all about quality, pacing, and properly exploring mechanics. If God of War 3 needs 8 hours, then 8 hours it is. If they are brilliant hours, who cares?

Yea its the one bad side effect of the CD era of gaming. At that time the duration of the games became a huge bullet point, and usually through extreme filler and padding. I remember the same squabbles came out when the length of ICO came out. Of course its a truly amazing game that if it was longer might have lost its luster, pace etc. Meanwhile i think most would agree Bioshock 1 would have been better with some of the later sections of the game removed

wizword

Banned
Sidzed2 said:

I care about length. A movie usually is 90-120 minutes long. Would I be disappointed if a movie is 60 minutes. Yes. Should I complain if a movie drags on because I am sitting there for a 180 minutes. Yes. Quality does matter, but I want the best bang of my bucks possible. If a game is like uncharted 2 among thieves to uncharted 1, or god of war 2 to god of war 1. Where it is a longer game but also a better paced game than it doesn't matter.

Magnus

Dogenzaka said:

No, he didn't. ::D

And as for the game length issue, I can't see how it isn't a crucial factor. So many films and games are crippled of quality because they are in fact too short or too long. It definitely impacts the bottom line, no matter the quality of the short product, or the quality of the awesome bits interspersed throughout the longer product.

Sidzed2

Dogenzaka said:

Okay, so maybe they should just ruin pacing and drag out length by inserting heaps of arena battles or some such nonsense. Then you would get your $60.00 worth. How ridiculous, at 8 hours, God of War 3 an an experience is costing you $7.50 per hour. That is assuming you never, ever replay it. That is pretty damn good value for money.

I'll take an 8 hour Shadow of the Colossus or a 4 hour ICO over a nigh-endless 40 hour grind-fest with no sense of pacing.

Now, if God of War 3 was thirty minutes long, your whining about 'value for money' might make sense...

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

Irrelevant, because God of War 2 was an AMAZING nearly 15-20 hours of gameplay, which shows that it can certainly be done.

There is no way god of war 2 was a 20 hour game. 13-16 hours I could see though.

Magnus

Nardonicus said:
How are the making of vids? Do they get pretty indepth?

I'll have a peek at some later tonight after the Oscars. I'm not sure if I unlocked all of them with a Normal completion. I'm kind of keen to get back to FFXIII though. :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
Okay, so maybe they should just ruin pacing and drag out length by inserting heaps of arena battles or some such nonsense. Then you would get your $60.00 worth. How ridiculous, at 8 hours, God of War 3 an an experience is costing you $7.50 per hour. That is assuming you never, ever replay it. That is pretty damn good value for money.

I'll take an 8 hour Shadow of the Colossus or a 4 hour ICO over a nigh-endless 40 hour grind-fest with no sense of pacing.

Now, if God of War 3 was thirty minutes long, your whining about 'value for money' might make sense...

No, once again, you are not paying attention.
God of War 3 wouldn't have to suck, be boring, or dragged out, in order to reach 15-20 hours. God of War 2 was nearly double the length of the original game and its puzzles, gameplay, dungeons, pacing and plot was arguably leagues better than the first game. They would just have to design the game to last longer, is all.

You're essentially telling me that in order to make the game longer, God of War 3 would have to completely ruin itself. That is not true. In fact, that is absolutely stupid.

If they had wanted to design the game with more length in mind, the rest of the games' elements would have come around to fit that.

There is no way god of war 2 was a 20 hour game. 13-16 hours I could see though.

I nearly reached 20 hours playing on Hard Mode and getting all the Urns, Gorgon Eyes and Phoenix Feathers in my first run.

Veelk

Banned
Can you answer my question now? I'd like to know how many bosses there are and who they are. Hide the spoilers if you wish, but I'd like to hear it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm always surprised when people say that GoW2 is a lot longer than GoW1. It only took me an hour longer than the first my first time through. In fact, it felt like GoW1 was longer because it wasn't paced as well.

Dogenzaka

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I'm always surprised when people say that GoW2 is a lot longer than GoW1. It only took me an hour longer than the first my first time through. In fact, it felt like GoW1 was longer because it wasn't paced as well.

Depends on the difficulty and whether you "rushed" through it, or spent time exploring and collecting everything.

Magnus

I'll PM you Generic, so as not to contribute to a potential disaster where someone quotes and fucks up the spoiler tags. :lol

Dogenzaka said:

He does not even know the time he beat the game just guess but even if was 8 hours long, it could take you longer . Or play on hard from the start .

Also you kept on saying GOW 2 was 15-20 hour game when you take long to beat it. I beat GOW 2 in 10-11 hrs if i remember right ,it was no where near that long .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dogenzaka said:
Depends on the difficulty and whether you "rushed" through it, or spent time exploring and collecting everything.
I played both on normal. I found more stuff in 1 than 2 my first time but I didn't feel like I rushed at all.

Dogenzaka

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
He does not even know the time he beat the game just guess but even if was 8 hours long, it could take you longer . Or play on hard from the start .

Also you kept on saying GOW 2 was 15-20 hour game when you take long to beat it. I beat GOW 2 in 10-11 hrs if i remember right ,it was no where near that long .

Well I knocked the game out in my first run, collecting everything, and I played on hard mode, and I think I reached 18 hours, so eh :p lasted me twice as long as the original God of War.

Of course, I'm not declaring an ends-all length on the game, but if it is indeed 8 hours long I will weep, because that is pretty pathetic for a single-player game that has been surpassed in length by its predecessors.

The fuck are you talking about?

It was twice as long as the first game. I played GoW1 in 9 hours and GoW2 in around 18. IGN reports the same thing, I believe (double the length).

Sidzed2

Dogenzaka said:
No, once again, you are not paying attention.
God of War 3 wouldn't have to suck, be boring, or dragged out, in order to reach 15-20 hours. God of War 2 was nearly double the length of the original game and its puzzles, gameplay, dungeons, pacing and plot was arguably leagues better than the first game.

You're essentially telling me that in order to make the game longer, God of War 3 would have to completely ruin itself. That is not true. In fact, that is absolutely stupid.

If they had wanted to design the game with more length in mind, the rest of the games' elements would have come around to fit that.

I nearly reached 20 hours playing on Hard Mode and getting all the Urns, Gorgon Eyes and Phoenix Feathers in my first run.

God of War can be blasted through in about 8-10 hours easily. It's terrifically paced.

If you give God of War 3 the same attention, by the sounds of these impressions you could pad the experience out to 12-15 hours (who knows). Add an extra replay or two or a trophy run and you will easily get 20 hours out of it, if that's your magic hour mark.

So maybe Sony Santa Monica decided that 8 hours was their intended, perfect length? Perhaps that is how long they feel that the game's intensity can be sustained? Are you seriously saying it's not good enough? I can understand that hour-per-dollar people might be disappointed, but it's not a valid complaint which can be leveled at the development team.

As for Uncharted 2, well, I adored that game, but heck if it didn't get dragged out towards the end around the point of the Monastery... you could remove two or three hours from Uncharted 2 and improve its pacing. Same with the original Bioshock.

Pacing and variety is everything. If God of War 3 was 20 brilliant hours, then fantastic. But an 8 hour duration is perfectly reasonable and understandable given the insanely high production values at play.

Dogenzaka

Banned
If you give God of War 3 the same attention, by the sounds of these impressions you could pad the experience out to 12-15 hours (who knows). Add an extra replay or two or a trophy run and you will easily get 20 hours out of it, if that's your magic hour mark.

This is what I'm hoping for :)

So maybe Sony Santa Monica decided that 8 hours was their intended, perfect length? Perhaps that is how long they feel that the game's intensity can be sustained? Are you seriously saying it's not good enough? I can understand that hour-per-dollar people might be disappointed, but it's not a valid complaint which can be leveled at the development team.

To me, it is, because the "intensity" of God of War worked just fine at 15-20 hours for me. There's no reason it would not work as well, in my opinion, at half the length when there was so much level potential with the titans and the temples on Mt. Olympus.

Sidzed2

Dogenzaka said:
This is what I'm hoping for :)

Well we will all just have to wait and see how long the game is. I cannot imagine not replaying it. I've played through the first two titles at least 3 or four times each.

Dogenzaka said:
It was twice as long as the first game. I played GoW1 in 9 hours and GoW2 in around 18. IGN reports the same thing, I believe (double the length).

Having just played both within the last week, that is complete bullshit.

Dogenzaka

Banned
EnjoyIncubus said:
Having just played both within the last week, that is complete bullshit.

Having done the exact same thing this past week, playing both by myself, it's not complete bullshit.

To each his own.

What do you need? A quote from a review? A screencap of my save? XD

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dogenzaka said:
Well I knocked the game out in my first run, collecting everything, and I played on hard mode, and I think I reached 18 hours, so eh :p lasted me twice as long as the original God of War.

Of course, I'm not declaring an ends-all length on the game, but if it is indeed 8 hours long I will weep, because that is pretty pathetic for a single-player game that has been surpassed in length by its predecessors.

God of War 2 took me about 20 hours on my Titan run, but that doesn't mean it's a 20 hour game. I played certain parts dozens of times. It was a long experience, but it was not always a fun experience.

I don't remember how long my first run in GOW2 took, but I'm going to guess 10 hours. If it took you 18 your first time, you are on the long end of the distribution.

I question the assumption that a sequel has to be longer than its predecessor to be the better game. While I don't think making the game longer would RUIN it, it's not like they could just make more of it, at the same level of quality, with a snap of their fingers. From what we've heard in reviews so far, this game is raising some bars. You can't also expect it to be twice as long as any other action game out there.

Of course I haven't played the game yet, but 8 hours of GOW3 sounds like it's probably better than 8 hours of almost every other game out there. Your disappointment or outrage seems premature.

Also, I just got to the end of Dante's Inferno, and holy fuck that game is 90% padding.

Magnus

Good to see I'm not much of an anomaly on the game's length then.

I've got to re-iterate my slight disappointment again; can't believe it's over already.

@TTP: satsified with the material in most of those hours. But knowing what was missing that could have filled say, two more hours is annoying. Missed potential, imo.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kamal007 said:
Got it. Beat it in 7 hours and 30 minutes. Great game but man was it really short. The length was very disappointing.

This is starting to worry me.

At least if the game disappoints me its resale value should be pretty high for a while in case I want to sell it.

Top Bottom