• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV online multiplayer previews today

Wollan

Multiplayer sounds beyond.

Also I'm happy they cranked down the visual effects for a smoother mp experience, the right choice given the situation.

newsguy

Himuro said:
*adds more information to his GTAIV official thread word document*

Gracias, newsguy.

It's satisfying knowing you're working on it. All you need is Bish's banstick backing and it will be the official thread of the forever to complement the game of the forever.

Mrbob

I'm still sitting in shock after reading those previews.

I've been bored with most online competitive multiplayer for the past couple years, and of all games it is GTA4 which has me interested in going online and playing again in a non sports game.

Edit: Who the fuck changed me the hillary clinton tag? Sonofabitch. Me AM CRY. I hate Hillary with a passion. :/

I've never been a huge fan of the series, but i am just so pumped for this game. That online sounds like it's gonna be the most fun I've had in a game for years.

Guled said:
I guess this is kind of OT, but will the ps3 version support rumble?
I'm pretty sure most (if not all) PS3 games released recently support rumble.

Anyway, I honestly don't see R* not including the feature regardless...

raYne

Guled said:
With the controllers being out, I'd expect everything from now on to have rumble support.

That said, I don't think we have confirmation one way or the other.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey all,

My write-up went up a bit late and I haven't read through the thread so I don't know what I have that you don't know yet:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1585030/20080408/id_0.jhtml

Here's an excerpt from the end of the piece:

The full scope of "GTA IV" multiplayer hasn't been revealed. Even just a few weeks before release, the game isn't spilling all its secrets, and that includes the other multiplayer modes. "We put in as many options as we can," Barrera said. "We think this is totally fun."

And how would he distinguish the "GTA" multiplayer mode from that of other games? "Not tacked on," he said. "It fits seamlessly into the game — the variety and ultimately the freedom that players are going to enjoy for a very long time."

Loudninja

Guled said:
It didn't take advantage of the Dual Shock 3's rumble, either, although Rockstar reassured us that the PS3 version is about a week behind the 360 edition, and that rumble will be added soon

Chaucer said:
i like how the cops don't know which person is the boss in Cops and Crooks. i wonder how many times the boss could separate from the rest of the group and the other team assumes he's with the rest of the group.
I thought I read somewhere that the cops could in fact tell who was the boss by looking closely enough at their radar.

I recall that because I was trying to think of a way the game could encourage the cops to keep their sirens on (which adds a lot to the atmosphere of a cop car chase). Giving them the ability to distinguish the boss only when their sirens are on would accomplish that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mrbob said:
Edit: Who the fuck changed me the hillary clinton tag? Sonofabitch. Me AM CRY. I hate Hillary with a passion. :/

You used to think she was super keen. Flip flopper.

really liked your piece, totilo. at this point it's the anecdotal stuff that really stands out- we've all read the same laundry list of features a dozen times.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
notjackbauer said:
really liked your piece, totilo. at this point it's the anecdotal stuff that really stands out- we've all read the same laundry list of features a dozen times.

thanks. Yeah, there were lots of good moments. Lots of insanity.

It's at a whole new level when you're the one driving the getaway car, trying to handle a car in a bona fide GTA city while carrying the fate of three other people in your hate [EDIT: I meant "hands"!]. Though I think I was driving like a champion in a police car I snagged. It was in Hangman's NOOSE. We had ditched a van, if I remember correctly. So I jacked a cop car. And suddenly the cops were none the wiser. We scooted on by. I drove us to victory.

Another time, I set myself on fire by accident. That was a less triumphant moment

raYne

stephentotilo said:
Hey all,

My write-up went up a bit late and I haven't read through the thread so I don't know what I have that you don't know yet:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1585030/20080408/id_0.jhtml

Here's an excerpt from the end of the piece:
As with all the gameplay examples today:
» Four no-good lowlifes (played by MTV News, Rockstar and Yahoo) fled from the police (played by members of the Rockstar marketing department), only to be picked off one by one en route to a waiting speedboat. The final lowlife, Undead CJ, made it onto the getaway boat and motored away, only to get shot in the back by the law, seconds from escape
This is awesome. :lol It just needed a slow motion, fade to black scene, after the final death to make it perfect.

stephentotilo said:
It's at a whole new level when you're the one driving the getaway car, trying to handle a car in a bona fide GTA city while carrying the fate of three other people in your hate.

I hope that was a typo and not a Freudian slip...

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
The Nature Roy said:
I thought I read somewhere that the cops could in fact tell who was the boss by looking closely enough at their radar.

I recall that because I was trying to think of a way the game could encourage the cops to keep their sirens on (which adds a lot to the atmosphere of a cop car chase). Giving them the ability to distinguish the boss only when their sirens are on would accomplish that.

The boss is clearly identifiable to the cops players. The boss has a distinct icon. Then again, there's a mode where all the crooks are bosses. That's when the strategy gets really interesting. Also, there are modes that set the number of lives. We did one Cops N Crooks where we each only had one life. Made it tough.

FightyF

Banned
If you're playing with just knives, things are going to become stealthy, so another useful option is to turn off player markers that appear over people's heads and also turn off people's locations on radar. You can also turn the Police on or off and toggle auto-aim on or off - useful as the auto-aim is very merciful and allows you to mow down moving targets with ease, particularly if you have a semi-automatic weapon.

That's what I was wondering all along. Thanks kikizo for mentioning it!

Saint's Row MP was fun, but it's nothing compared to this. It had some good unique modes, but the levels were just that, levels. Whether they were totally closed, or small portions of a city. GTA is wide open with pedestrians and traffic...a whole different thing.

FightyF

Banned
Himuro said:
*adds more information to his GTAIV official thread word document*

Gracias, newsguy.

Looking forward to that thread! Excellent job on the last one btw. I appreciated it, as it was my only source of GTA knowledge. I also stayed away from it for months as I didn't want to get too excited, I came in there a bit late.

What I plan to do is create GAF "clans" for the 360 version using the friends of friends feature. I'll create the thread in the Online forum in a couple of days here. Once I do so, I'll let you know...maybe we can include that in the official thread? I'll make tiny banners for it and everything...

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
FightyF said:
That's what I was wondering all along. Thanks kikizo for mentioning it!

Saint's Row MP was fun, but it's nothing compared to this. It had some good unique modes, but the levels were just that, levels. Whether they were totally closed, or small portions of a city. GTA is wide open with pedestrians and traffic...a whole different thing.

FightyF... have you also gotten the details about how crouching and cover hide your identity? If you have the player icons on (full disclosure: I didn't know there was an option to turn them off), every player has a dot and a name over their head. But if you crouch, the name disappears and only the dot remains. You can run around crouched. It's just harder for people to know who you are. If you snap to cover, the name AND the dot go away.

That is why, at the foot of the statue of happiness, I thought the guy I was chasing had run away from me. I should have realized, however, that the shady dude leaning against a wall without a name or dot over his head, wasn't an NPC. He was the guy I was chasing. I turned my back. He stepped out and shot me.

That's one way to learn the rules.

FightyF

Banned
Himuro said:
I am planning on linking to the various GTAIV threads, whether it be gamertag/psn related, or clan related.

Noice.

stephentotilo said:
FightyF... have you also gotten the details about how crouching and cover hide your identity? If you have the player icons on (full disclosure: I didn't know there was an option to turn them off), every player has a dot and a name over their head. But if you crouch, the name disappears and only the dot remains. You can run around crouched. It's just harder for people to know who you are. If you snap to cover, the name AND the dot go away.

That is why, at the foot of the statue of happiness, I thought the guy I was chasing had run away from me. I should have realized, however, that the shady dude leaning against a wall without a name or dot over his head, wasn't an NPC. He was the guy I was chasing. I turned my back. He stepped out and shot me.

That's one way to learn the rules.

Sounds awesome! Either way, on or off, I won't be dissappointed. The reason why I would like them off is because you could blend in with pedestrians and other traffic (if you were driving).

I suppose I should be reading all those articles, but if anyone has time, I'd love for them to answer this question...how does spawning work? Is it the typical stuff, you spawn at your team's base point? Does it occur at hospitals? Or random parts of town?

-addendum-
I see it's somewhat answered in Stephen's MTV article.

newsguy

FightyF said:
Sounds awesome! Either way, on or off, I won't be dissappointed. The reason why I would like them off is because you could blend in with pedestrians and other traffic (if you were driving).

How awesome will it be to turn a corner, hop in a car at a red light, and watch as the guy chasing you runs right past you. And even crazier, what if the ped you throw out of the car gets pissed and pulls you out of the car, blowing your cover. Hot damn...

Just like I thought, this should be the most popular online game this year and probably for many years to come. It'll be nice to see it help break the iron grip that FPS titles have had on things in console land. It's funny, but it looks like it will take a GTA to make good on the strong promises of Crackdown and Saint's Row, two games very influenced by GTA. Just more proof of Rockstar's awesome ability.

I am in complete and utter shock. My mouth is still open. The first bonafide cops and robbers online multiplayer has arrived. I don't see any other game coming close to touching GTA this year.

FightyF

Banned
I read through 3 of them so far, going through the rest later.

None so far, refer to the day/night cycle in multiplayer.

What I'm wondering is if you can start a match in the afternoon, and end on midnight when everything's dark. I'll see if any of them refer to anything like that.

newsguy

Dani said:
Will the multiplayer support 2 people online with the same console?

I doubt it. Any form of split screen would have been touched upon by at least one of the sites if it was in.

newsguy

FightyF said:
I read through 3 of them so far, going through the rest later.

None so far, refer to the day/night cycle in multiplayer.

What I'm wondering is if you can start a match in the afternoon, and end on midnight when everything's dark. I'll see if any of them refer to anything like that.

I don't think there's a real time cycle that goes on because the host chooses day/ night and weather conditions.

FightyF

Banned
newsguy said:
I don't think there's a real time cycle that goes on because the host chooses day/ night and weather conditions.

That's a possibility, another possibility is that you are simply setting a starting time of day. Although I agree, yours is more likely, I'm still wishing it be like the latter.

If most matches last 15 minutes, it may not matter anyways.

Perhaps the 4 player free roam mode would have the day night cycles, whereas the others don't...

Toonami 99 said:
Did Rock Star explain why there is no story co-op? this disappoints me the most.

Because they didn't have time or it wasn't high on their priority list for this version of GTA I would assume. Same as any other developer.

Toonami 99 said:
Did Rock Star explain why there is no story co-op? this disappoints me the most.
I thought they had alluded to the fact that it would dilute and unnecessarily divide the impact of the main narrative focus on Niko and his relationships with other characters. At least, that's what I think I remember about it.

Top Bottom