• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 to do 60,000 in sales

lexi

Banned
A popular conservative position is to blame Videogames for all of society's ills, and to promote the banning of such purveyor of evil.

Perhaps the 'one console future' is a conservative position?

(Can you see how fucking stupid this is getting, politics and videogames are polar opposites)

akascream

Banned
Playstation represents lack of religion, and the 'hip' way of doing things. Playstation supporters hate and fear the possibility that they may be uncool, and require 'fresh' and 'new'. They are driven by pop culture and lack of values when it comes to thier preference in games.

Modern liberalism represents a lack of religion, and the 'hip' way of doing things. Liberal supporters like change and the diminishment of any kind of values. They are driven by MTV and a superiority based in the guilt of behavior that doesn't 'jive' with thier own Jedeo-Christian perspective.

Ristamar

Milhouse31 said:
That's quiet true. I was wondering why most Nintendo fanboy are conservative and came to the same conclusion. I must be some kind of exception.

I had never heard of this trend until a few months ago on GAF. I wouldn't consider myself conservative, either.

paul777

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Nintendo represents a religion, and the old way of doing things. Nintendo supporters hate and fear change within the industry and the diminishment of their heroes and values. They are driven by nostalgia and a dogmatic sense of moral superiority when it comes to their preference in games.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I am quite extreme in my leftist views (both economic and social) and Nintendo exemplifies my personal likeness of revolution and change in their game design philosophy moreso than any other big game company. The NES, original Gameboy, N64, the upcoming Nintendo DS, 'revolution', and the groundbreaking software that fuelled, and will fuel, those systems all exemplify Nintendo's willingness to innovate and move video games forward.

I am also somewhat Heidegerrian in my views, and Nintendo (Nintendo being the people that make the games and decisions) strikes me as the most authentic game company around.

Even though this thread is a troll, it's really not too far off from the truth. MP2 isn't going to come close to the numbers the first one did, and I feel it will not meet Nintendo's expectations. I don't think it'll sell more than 300,000 copies, worldwide. My honest opinion.

jarrod

Banned
I find it funny that consoles are still heading down the original plan Nintendo set down for Famicom though, with or without Nintendo. The networked content distribution and living room set top box ambitions Kutaragi spoke of for PS2 early on (which have suppossedly been shifted to PS3, after a PSX pitstop) are basicially the same line Nintendo was towing in the early 1980s.

No, recently. Although Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is a huge leap forward for the Kirby titles, and really does justice to the 4P GBA model.

Tritroid

MrAngryFace said:
No Way!

I find it funny you guys only bitch when its against something you like. Wah wah.
Please.

Like this would stand for a second if it was troll-fest-time against Xbots or Sonybots.

Suddenly the "No trolling allowed on GAF!" rule would go into effect. But if it's trolling against Nbots, that rule is magically forgotten.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Tritroid said:
Please.

Like this would stand for a second if it was troll-fest-time against Xbots or Sonybots.

Suddenly the "No trolling allowed on GAF!" rule would go into effect. But if it's trolling against Nbots, that rule is magically forgotten.

That is why Nintendo fans get compared to Repubs. You have to laugh at yourself sometimes.

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
No, recently. Although Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is a huge leap forward for the Kirby titles, and really does justice to the 4P GBA model.

It is worth noting, however, that Nintendo didn't make it. Big ol' Flagship logo on the title screen, if memory serves.

DFS.

Gee, I've only trolled Xenogears/Xenosaga, Shenmue, Dead or Alive, Kingdom Hearts, FFX-2, and many other non-Nintendo exclusives COUNTLESS times. I'm as well-known for my Xenohate and Shenmue trolls as I am for my abuse of Nintendo's more ridiculous fan types.

Anytime something has a large amount of irrational fans whose bizarre tastes and personality issues override their common sense, I'll be there to make fun of it.

jarrod said:
The hybrid they came up with just ends up sacrificing both platforming and shooting potential as a result.
wrong.

everyone who saw nothing wrong with the platforming and shooting in the game raise your hand.

Tritroid

Drinky Crow said:
Gee, I've only trolled Xenogears/Xenosaga, Shenmue, Dead or Alive, Kingdom Hearts, FFX-2, and many other non-Nintendo exclusives COUNTLESS times. I'm as well-known for my Xenohate and Shenmue trolls as I am for my abuse of Nintendo's more ridiculous fan types.

Anytime something has a large amount of irrational fans whose personal agendae override their common sense/taste, I'll be there to make fun of it.
Here's a thought.

Why not give up trolling all together?

Wait no, you're too immature for that to happen.

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
Gee, I've only trolled Xenogears/Xenosaga, Shenmue, Dead or Alive, Kingdom Hearts, FFX-2, and many other non-Nintendo exclusives COUNTLESS times.

We should shift this into a Xeno thread.

By the time Episode II's been out a couple of weeks, the bosses at Namco Hometek will be ready to kill babies for 60,000 units.

DFS.

It is stupid, and they're stupid, even if they kick my ass for it. Presupposing any sort of excellence without qualitative consideration of the final product *is* a hallmark of stupidity. At the very least, I can't think of a single great mind that practiced the sort of creepy cognitive dissonance that comes with fandom.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Drinky Crow said:
Anytime something has a large amount of irrational fans whose bizarre tastes and personality issues override their common sense, I'll be there to make fun of it.

Hahaha that's why we love you man

Super_Dad.JPG

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
It is worth noting, however, that Nintendo didn't make it. Big ol' Flagship logo on the title screen, if memory serves.

DFS.
Flagship isn't an actual game developer though, they just handle scenario & artwork. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror is actually a combined effort between HAL (game design), Flagship (story/art) & Dimps (coding).

WarPig

jarrod said:
Flagship isn't an actual game developer though, they just handle scenario & artwork. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror is actually a combined effort between HAL (game design), Flagship (story/art) & Dimps (coding).

What, DIMPS was involved?

God, now that ruins it for me. Fucking DIMPS.

DFS.

Tritroid

Drinky Crow said:
It is stupid, and they're stupid, even if they kick my ass for it. Presupposing any sort of excellence without qualitative consideration of the final product *is* a hallmark of stupidity.
I dunno, I think trolling is being much more idiotic than being a fan of something.

Or at least it's being more bitter and anal, at a preschool level.

explodet

Drinky Crow said:
Thing is, the above list is just games. The more vocal fans may be upset about the blanket statements about the company as a whole. If you said all of Square sucks or all of Namco sucks you'd have a very different thread right now.

Of course, if you start listing individual games from Nintendo, who knows how many more venom will be spit in either direction. :p

Oh shit, never mind - I just read the thread title again. :p
Damn I need some sleep.

Fandom is irrational, impractical, and ever so vulnerable to the cruel slings and arrows of reality. Fans are little wounded creatures, crying out for my aid, and my heart breaks to see them suffer so.

My trolling, on the other hand, is all about compassion and honesty. I'm trying to help you, but sometimes you have to hurt to heal. TOUGH LOVE!! I CARE ABOUT U.

Tritroid

Drinky Crow said:
Fandom is irrational, impractical, and often completely impervious to the cruel thrusts of reality.

My trolling, on the other hand, is all about compassion and honesty. I'm trying to help you, but sometimes you have to hurt to heal. TOUGH LOVE!! I CARE ABOUT U.
You're more retarded than I thought if you actually think that someone would be persuaded by juvenile trolling.

It's a waste of space, and a waste of your breath. All it does is start pointless shitty squabbles like this one.

OMG u hav akomplished so muCH!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Tritroid said:
You're more retarded than I thought if you actually think that someone would be persuaded by juvenile trolling.

It's a waste of space, and a waste of your breath. All it does is start pointless shitty squabbles like this one.

You're retarded if you didn't realize that was his intention in the first place.

SantaC

Drinky Crow said:
Fandom is irrational, impractical, and ever so vulnerable to the cruel slings and arrows of reality. Fans are little wounded creatures, crying out for my aid, and my heart breaks to see them suffer so.

But your trolling of Nintendo is your biased opinion, and doesn't mean that others should think the same.

WarPig

SantaCruZer said:
But your trolling of Nintendo is your biased opinion, and doesn't mean that others should think the same.

This is like watching Floyd Patterson fight Muhammad Ali.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
What, DIMPS was involved?

God, now that ruins it for me. Fucking DIMPS.

DFS.
Yeah, Dimps had me worried after their crap Sonic Advance games, but thankfully they're not handling any of the actual level design themselves.

Tritroid

levious said:
You're retarded if you didn't realize that was his intention in the first place.
Yeah, heaven forbid I actually stand up and challenge a local GAF troll.

I still have yet to understand why specific trolls get special treatment around here.

Tritroid said:

Idealism vs. Realism. That's all there is to it. No winner in this war. Let it be man. Let it be.

I've NEVER said all of Nintendo sucks. I quite enjoy several Nintendo games, current and classic, and I think they're one of the most consistently talented SOFTWARE developers in the business. I'm shitting my pants in anticipation of TEH MATUR3 ZELDA and Minish Cap.

However, I never assume that everything they touch is golden or even in my interest as a gamer. I don't see why they need their own hardware, either, or why I should support their cosnoles when they'd obviously continue to make good/great games on other hardware -- unless, of course, you think that their "genius" is magically tied to their platform ownership (and in which case, you're a fanboy).

The DS is a joke: subpar hardware retrofitted to address a crisis in gaming that doesn't actually exist. The endless rehashes of Mario Party and Pokemon are tiresome wastes of development resources. Recent major franchise releases have been riddled with obvious design flaws. The creation of new epic adventure and platforming properties on home consoles has been sorely lacking. The amount of energy spent talking up "connectivity" and trying to ignore online gaming is amazingly shortsighted and silly.

Anyone who, in light of this reality, will continue to invent ludicrous scenarios where these actions don't matter and continue to act as though Nintendo is above criticism deserves all the abuse and misery we can heap on their soft little heads. I don't use nostalgia as a light to examine a company's CURRENT offerings, and neither should anyone else sane.

Nostalgia and patently superficial appreciation (KINGDOM HEARTS ROX BECUZ IT HAS DISNEY AND FF7 CHARACTERS AWESUM!!!; XENOGEARS IS DEEP CUZ IT HAS LOTS OF CUTSCENES; SHENMUE WAS MADE BY YU SUZUKI AND HAS GOOD GRAPHICS, THEREFORE I MUST FIND A WAY TO LIKE IT) will always be fair sport on my watch.

Drinky Crow said:
I've NEVER said all of Nintendo sucks. I quite enjoy several Nintendo games, current and classic, and I think they're one of the most consistently talented SOFTWARE developers in the business. I'm shitting my pants in anticipation of TEH MATUR3 ZELDA and Minish Cap.

However, I never assume that everything they touch is golden or even in my interest as a gamer. I don't see why they need their own hardware, either, or why I should support their cosnoles when they'd obviously continue to make good/great games on other hardware -- unless, of course, you think that their "genius" is magically tied to their platform ownership (and in which case, you're a fanboy).

The DS is a joke: subpar hardware retrofitted to address a crisis in gaming that doesn't actually exist. The endless rehashes of Mario Party and Pokemon are tiresome wastes of development resources. Recent major franchise releases have been riddled with obvious design flaws. The creation of new epic adventure and platforming properties on home consoles has been sorely lacking. The amount of energy spent talking up "connectivity" and trying to ignore online gaming is amazingly shortsighted and silly.

Anyone who, in light of this reality, will continue to invent ludicrous scenarios where these actions don't matter and continue to act as though Nintendo is above criticism deserves all the abuse and misery we can heap on their soft little heads. I don't use nostalgia as a light to examine a company's CURRENT offerings, and neither should anyone else sane.

Nostalgia and patently superficial appreciation (KINGDOM HEARTS ROX BECUZ IT HAS DISNEY AND FF7 CHARACTERS AWESUM AND THEREFORE I DON'T CARE IF THE GAMEPLAY SUCKS; XENOGEARS IS DEEP CUZ IT HAS LOTS OF CUTSCENES; SHENMUE WAS MADE BY YU SUZUKI AND HAS GOOD GRAPHICS, THEREFORE I MUST FIND A WAY TO LIKE IT) will always be fair sport on my watch.

Agree with most everything but.. surely you've seen the sales numbers for those 2 titles above? Wouldn't exactly qualify that as waste of development resources plus EAD is not responsible for either.

Kon Tiki

Banned
The DS is a joke: subpar hardware retrofitted to address a crisis in gaming that doesn't actually exist. Except this crisis: The endless rehashes of Mario Party and Pokemon are tiresome wastes of development resources. Recent major franchise releases have been riddled with obvious design flaws. The creation of new epic adventure and platforming properties on home consoles has been sorely lacking. The amount of energy spent talking up "connectivity" and trying to ignore online gaming is amazingly shortsighted and silly.

heh.

That's a crisis? That's just a complaint among many.

I complain about rehashes on other platforms, too; doesn't mean I conflate it to a crisis.

I'd venture that the rather thick line between a videogame hobbyist and a stark raving fanboy is one of PERSPECTIVE.

Wow, after reading through Drinky's rationale, I actually agree with him, and finally understand where he's coming from.

Yet the manner in which he does it is still the most childish, annoying way to go about it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nintendo is in a crisis. You say the DS is not needed. You also say Nintendo is making games, lately, with little or no improvements ( total agreement here, just look at the first sequels to Nintendo major 3 franchises: Zelda, Metroid, and Mario and compare them to to the sequels they have now), I think the DS is a a step in the right direction for Nintendo.

Socreges

Banned
Have any of you ever seen that after-school commercial with a bully in an empty playground jostling with the wind and mouthing insults at no one? That could be Drinky! But you only encourage him.

NLB2

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

For some one claiming, as I believe you have done in the past, to have scored a 1600 on the SAT this is some terrible reasoning. Because you've trolled other games previously means its alright to troll Nintendo games? I don't think so.
Terms of Service said:
B. Trolling

Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion. Negative commentary on given topics is by no means disallowed; however, such comments should attempt to be substantiated. No matter your supposed intent, if the forum administrators perceive you as a troll making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the forum body, actions may be taken by the administrators.

This is undoubtedly a troll however, as it says in the TOS, actions may be taken by the administrators, which makes me wonder why they don't?
My guess is you and MAF have nude pictures of Mike Works or something along those lines. :)

And to you, Drinky Crow, why is it that you feel the need to fix, as you would put it, the perspectives of others?

jiggle

NLB2 said:
This is undoubtedly a troll however, as it says in the TOS, actions may be taken by the administrators, which makes me wonder why they don't?

That's been answered in this thread already. Twice in fact, if memory serves.

Have any of you ever seen that after-school commercial with a bully in an empty playground jostling with the wind and mouthing insults at no one? That could be Drinky! But you only encourage him.

If there are no fans, only rational folk who have quiet confidence in the personal validity of their own opinions, there can be no Drinky Crow!

I should add that the sort of thinking that insists standardized test scores are an indicator of real-world intelligence is the same sort of bizarre rationale that leads to that same person getting successfully trolled. D'oh, SIRS!

And to you, Drinky Crow, why is it that you feel the need to fix, as you would put it, the perspectives of others?

Am I trying to fix your opinion, or simply offer my own? Why on earth would you assume I want you fixed -- my stock and trade comes when you continue to insist your opinions aren't broken regardless of whether or not they ACTUALLY are.

NLB2

Banned
jiggle said:
That's been answered in this thread already. Twice in fact, if memory serves.
Sorry, I wrote that a while ago but only posted it a few minutes ago. My mistake. Wait a minute, it has? Where?

Che

Banned
Drinky Crow seriously now I can't see any difference between you and DJ Demon's trolling. I don't get it, mods are supposed to be here to prevent trolling, not troll without control. Get serious man.

NLB2

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
If there are no fans, only rational folk who have quiet confidence in the personal validity of their own opinions, there can be no Drinky Crow!
Are you a religious man, Drinky Crow?

Top Bottom