• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 to do 60,000 in sales

ninge

Do you really not have anything better to do with your time than this? seriously, get a life or something.. sane people just come here for the news.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Society, Sony?
Huh. Not you. DarienA 's love for EA.[

I am in agreement with you for the one console dream. Have been for years. I can understand that neither of the three want to bow out either, that is why I suggested many times that there should be a standardized hardware with the big three making there own versions, like 3DO.

Of course it's not hard to understand: they're insecure. If you take mortal offense from someone mocking Nintendo, you have some serious issues. Trying to compare the contempt for your FREAKING ENTERTAINMENT PREFERENCES to INSTITUTIONALIZED RACIAL ABUSE is pretty damn insulting to anyone who's ever had a nasty racial slur slung their way.

PERSPECTIVE, kids.

show you what I believe to be a sound argument from analogy, people get upset when there mother is labeled a prostitute

Well NO SHIT. How do I disabuse you of the notion that all personal attacks are somehow equal, and that mocking your preference for Nintendo doesn't approximate the act of calling one's mother a whore among the well-adjusted? How do you survive going into EB -- do you carry a dueling glove with you, on the off-chance an itinerant and insensitive clerk might have a few harsh words for the DS?

ONLY ON THE GAF. "NINTENDO SUCKS, AND YER MOM'S A WHORE."

NLB2

Banned
Tritroid said:
For the love of God it's not that hard to understand why people react the way they do in face of your constant trolling.

When you insult something that somebody likes, what in the fuck do you think the reaction is going to be?

Whether you do it for laughs or not the fact that you don't understand why people are attacking you says enough about your common sense.
This seems like a dispute that can be solved by psychology, does anyone know if we have any psychologists on this board?

Damnit why do you and MAF get a free trolling pass? Not that I'm particularly bothered by this effort. I happen to agree, and I probably won't even be buying MP2, even though I found the first one somewhat enjoyable.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
There are STILL people here that think I honestly defend EA?

I've made it a point lately to start many of my pro-EA posts with

EA defense measures engage! as a joke....and that still wasn't a clue?

Lord I don't know what else to do....

Tritroid

Drinky Crow said:
Of course it's not hard to understand: they're insecure. If you take mortal offense from someone mocking Nintendo, you have some serious issues. Trying to compare the contempt for your FREAKING ENTERTAINMENT PREFERENCES to INSTITUTIONALIZED RACIAL ABUSE is pretty damn insulting to anyone who's ever had a nasty racial slur slung their way.

PERSPECTIVE, kids.
You're over analyzing this.

Kid #1 says: "Man I got the new Pokemon game, it's awesome."

Kid #2 says: "Yo, Pokemon sucks ass dude."

Kid #1 says: "wtf! no it doesn't!"

Kid #2 says: "Yeah it does. People are gonna stop buying it eventually when they see it's nothing but a rehash over and over."

Kid #1 says: "fuck you, Pokemon is awesome."

That's pretty much what happens in the most simple terms. You of course, are Kid #2.

NLB2

Banned
^^
Not to mention that argument
(Trying to compare the contempt for your FREAKING ENTERTAINMENT PREFERENCES to INSTITUTIONALIZED RACIAL ABUSE is pretty damn insulting to anyone who's ever had a nasty racial slur slung their way.), unlike Scorges which shows my argument to be invalid, doesn't affect the validity of my argument at all.

Kon Tiki

Banned
DarienA said:
There are STILL people here that think I honestly defend EA?

I've made it a point lately to start many of my pro-EA posts with

EA defense measures engage! as a joke....and that still wasn't a clue?

Lord I don't know what else to do....

No, that is what the wink was for.

DarienA

Society said:
No, that is what the wink was for.

You posted a bracket. [ That's not a wink dammit... YOU PEOPLE ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! ARGH!!!! That's it I'm going to go relax with my Missus and see if I can coax that young one to finally come out of her big belly... her due date is this Thursday.

EDIT:

Thanks NLB, I'm taking my laptop with me when she goes in to labor(The hospital has a hotspot in the caferia), we're also taking our digital camcorder and camera. I'm not sure if I'll be posting any pictures on our website really quickly after the birth but I'll definitely post something in the OT forum as soon as I can to announce the birth. :D

Merlin

Banned
Hey, why everything go wrong for the Nintendo ?
16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I so sad tonight after read this and Resident Evil news. I want to die. How Miyamoto let it happen .... But I'm afraid I know what will be in future - next Nintendo release Paper Mario 2 then it flop and Miyamoto say "GameCube have a rest, but I'll back in next year with revolution!" And in next year he won't do anthing and he will say the same and suddenly he will want back good old day, but peoples will forget, as they forget the Spice Girls. Nintendo will release one more console and it will not sell and ... it .. will ... be ... no, IT CANT BE THE END.

Please, do sth, I can't - can You?
violon.gif

If Sony died tomorrow, I wouldn't care; in fact, I'd rejoice, because we'd be that closer to the ONE CONSOLE WORLD. However, since Sony is the best bet to bring about said ONE CONSOLE WORLD, I currently enjoy encouraging folks to support them. It's also a safe suggestion, since the PS2 has the biggest and most diverse library by something approximating an order of magnitude, and most game development targets it.

I assume you're also for a one-language world and a one-party state (run according to the principle of democratic centralism), etc.

Socreges

Banned
For the record, I've always been for a er.. hardware-less.. Nintendo, so long as they STAY WITH ONE CONSOLE. Fuck me if I have to buy separate consoles just to play Zelda and Fire Emblem.
DarienA said:
If you or anyone on this forum REALLY thinks I give a shit whether EA is #1, #2, or #10000.....

a) You're a newbie
b) You've been here for a long time and you just haven't been paying attention
c) You're dense, and you probably also think I don't like/own and/or play the Xbox.

Take your pick.

Wait that was a damn smiley face... shit you trolled me!!! Damn! Damn! Damn!

You're apparently choice B... and C. Pay more attention to what/when/where I post... or pay less. Once choice gives you better incite to what I really think about the gaming industry in general... the other doesn't.
If you don't try and understand the situation better, Darien, we're in for a long fucking haul here. I'll explain it as best I can. You call people responding to Drinky "tools". When people point out that you have a particular allegiance, however strong, yourself, you point out that WE haven't been paying attention and that you're not a one-console gamer. No one said you care about Sony/EA's financial well-being, or that you exclusively play your PS2. Just that if you're going to label people as such for the simple fact that they're replying to Drinky Crow then be prepared to fall under the same umbrella.

DarienA

Society said:
The other wink. Congrats on a future GBA2 player.

I'll disown the kid before that happens. ;)

Socreges said:
If you don't try and understand the situation better, Darien, we're in for a long fucking haul here. I'll explain it as best I can. You call people responding to Drinky "tools". When people point out that you have a particular allegiance, however strong, yourself, you point out that WE haven't been paying attention and that you're not a one-console gamer. No one said you care about Sony/EA's financial well-being, or that you exclusively play your PS2. Just that if you're going to label people as such for the simple fact that they're replying to Drinky Crow then be prepared to fall under the same umbrella.

You know it seems that I have to go through this every few months... and just like I earlier posted in this thread that I was trying to save you guys from yourselves by pointing out what Doug was doing? I find myself having to explain that you really shouldn't take many of my posts seriously.... every few months I do it... and every few months I'm here again.

Somebody isn't getting the picture... and we don't have THAT much turnover.

I really don't want to run because I'm curious to see what turn this thread takes next... but my bath water is ready... Hey we all have our sacrifices to make....

I assume you're also for a one-language world and a one-party state (under the principle of democratic centralism), etc.

I consider the arrangement of videogame consoles under my TV a far safer place to practice my utopian ideals than the rather difficult context of world government.

Socreges

Banned
DarienA said:
You know it seems that I have to go through this every few months... and just like I earlier posted in this thread that I was trying to save you guys from yourselves by pointing out what Doug was doing? I find myself having to explain that you really shouldn't take many of my posts seriously.... every few months I do it... and every few months I'm here again.

Somebody isn't getting the picture... and we don't have THAT much turnover.
Honestly, have you read this thread? What makes you think anyone (or more than a few) are in the dark about this? Fuck, my first reply was even:

"Have any of you ever seen that after-school commercial with a bully in an empty playground jostling with the wind and mouthing insults at no one? That could be Drinky! But you only encourage him."

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
I consider the arrangement of videogame consoles under my TV a far safer place to practice my utopian ideals than the rather difficult context of world government.

ONE WORLD. ONE PEOPLE. ONE CONSOLE. ONE PAVEMENT.

DFS.

Gchaime

Socreges said:
For the record, I've always been for a er.. hardware-less.. Nintendo, so long as they STAY WITH ONE CONSOLE. Fuck me if I have to buy separate consoles just to play Zelda and Fire Emblem.

Well in that case you should be really pleased with the current situation where both franchises can only be played on one homeconsole: the gamecube.

edit: goddammit! you changed your post.

Socreges

Banned
Gchaime said:
Well in that case you should be really pleased with the current situation where both franchises can only be played on one homeconsole: the gamecube.
My point is that if Nintendo had to bail on the hardware business then I wouldn't want their software to be divided amongst so many platforms.

If Microsoft sticks around, then I'd actually prefer a second-party Nintendo. At least then there would be competition which would be best for the consumer. But a one-console industry would be hurting.

edit: goddammit! you changed your post.
I did?

Grubdog

Banned
What? If there was only one console, i'd rather it be a Nintendo console. Nintendo simply make better hardware. This thread is retarded.

bitwise

Banned
Merlin said:
Hey, why everything go wrong for the Nintendo ?
16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I so sad tonight after read this and Resident Evil news. I want to die. How Miyamoto let it happen .... But I'm afraid I know what will be in future - next Nintendo release Paper Mario 2 then it flop and Miyamoto say "GameCube have a rest, but I'll back in next year with revolution!" And in next year he won't do anthing and he will say the same and suddenly he will want back good old day, but peoples will forget, as they forget the Spice Girls. Nintendo will release one more console and it will not sell and ... it .. will ... be ... no, IT CANT BE THE END.

Please, do sth, I can't - can You?
violon.gif

lol, are you crying while you type this?

DarienA

First of all let me say folks who are buying homes? Do yourself a favor put a 2 or at the very least 1 person jacuzzi in your master bedroom... there will come a day in the future when you'll see why you did it... ok on with the show.

Socreges said:
Honestly, have you read this thread? What makes you think anyone (or more than a few) are in the dark about this? Fuck, my first reply was even:

"Have any of you ever seen that after-school commercial with a bully in an empty playground jostling with the wind and mouthing insults at no one? That could be Drinky! But you only encourage him."

What makes me think most are in the dark about this?

The size of this thread and the RE thread... as they relate to the size of the rest of the threads posted today.... pretty much.

It's neither here nor there in the end though... and it certainly makes for fun... now off to Monday Night Football....though tonight's game... isn't exactly..... a stellar matchup....

Drinky Crow said:
I can't get serious on a forum about VIDEOGAMING. I consider it an unrectifiable personal flaw.

Drinky Crow said:
You ask for justification, I reply. I *am* a mod, after all.

Tritroid said:
I vote for a triple ban, the THREE D'S:

DJ Demon, Drinky, and Darien.

this thread is comedy gold. Haha. :lol:lol:lol and for that matter; I only mentioned Kerry and bush cause our avatars were Bush and Kerry logo respectively For you guys to take it into a spin where Nintendo + Mario = communists.. :camp voice: love the stars you have around the word "am" when you emphaise your mod status, Drinky. :normal: haha.. comedy here's an award for the participants.

:lol

bird-in-hand-gold-award-web.gif

He who controls the living room controls the world. It's dangerous to have too much power concentrated in the clutches of a single entity, even in the entertainment industry. Soft power, engineers of the soul, etc.

Socreges

Banned
DarienA said:
What makes me think most are in the dark about this?

The size of this thread and the RE thread... as they relate to the size of the rest of the threads posted today.... pretty much.

It's neither here nor there in the end though...
I'm not all that surprised that you'd so quickly label those antithetical to you as "tools" without knowing jack.

etiolate

Banned

PERSPECTIVE, kids.

You are extremely desperate to legitimize immature bully behavior.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm surprised how often this thread comes up. I must have read it something like 10 times now in my life here at gaf. I'm beginning think Drinky Crow is an AI complex set to start the same threads every few months and reply in the same way to the same posts.

I noticed someone saying it was a one sided fight because there weren't any intelligent nintendo fans that could speak eloquently enough to stand up to drinky. But the entire concept of such a person is self contradictory. Such a person just... wouldn't care enough to respond to him in the fist place and would even agree with drinky on most points.

I mean I have all the consoles and play games on all of them but I still tend to side with nintendo simply because my preferences have lead me to them. Not the other way around. And he can bash nintendo all he wants for all I care. I may step in and attempt to answer a rhetorical question he has or some other troll in an attempt to explain my guess as to why I think nintendo as a company handles situations the way they do though that usually gets me accused of defending them as a fanboy. For instance I often try to explain nintendo's absense in online gaming even though I have never proposed it to be a good business move.

The only thing that bothers me is the idea that people can't take games seriously. Like its a sign of weakness or something. But for everyone here, gaming is a significant portion of our lives. If you come to gaf, gaming isn't just a hobby. Its an entire section of your life. And I feel that to shun it by not ever taking it seriously is wrong. I see people that can't be serious about it as the same as those that are embarassed by it. I imagine the people that fear getting "riled up" are the same ones that hide their consoles when their non gaming friends come over to watch a football game.

showing passion towards something in no way expresses weakness or insecurity. Often times people like to argue, and getting in a heated argument about something you love is, in my opinion, one of the best things to experience in life. If you can get in a heated argument for 3 hours straight with the same person and not get bored of the argument... thats a great day. Its not possible to do that if you don't feel pasionately about the subject at hand and if you fear seeming too weak or insecure. I think gaf would be a more fun and more interesting place if people let go of their insecurities and let themselves get riled up every once in a while for a good argument.

Matlock

Banned
You know, every time Doug does this, it's almost as if the rhetorical bell rings and you all run to eat his shit.

When people make fun of Nintendo, others join in. People think, "Oh, its cool to make fun of Nintendo. Nintendo is not cool." Certain people may be less inclined to buy Nintendo games because they are not considered cool. Nintendo is not making as much money anymore. Nintendo makes less games, and takes less chances. This makes me sad.

I don't want people to make fun of Nintendo for this reason. I couldn't care less whether or not you like the games.

NLB2

Banned
slayn said:
I noticed someone saying it was a one sided fight because there weren't any intelligent nintendo fans that could speak eloquently enough to stand up to drinky. But the entire concept of such a person is self contradictory. Such a person just... wouldn't care enough to respond to him in the fist place and would even agree with drinky on most points.

Here is my argument against Drinky Crow's claims edited so as to be analogous to Drinky Crow's orignal argument (thank you Scorges for being able to point out the flaw in my original argument):
Drinky Crow claims that Nintendo fanboys get upset by his trolls beause they are insecure in their tastes, that is they don't really like the games, they just tell themselves they do because, for whatever reason, they love Nintendo blindly. Drinky Crow believes his trolls make Nintendo fanboys doubt their original assesment of the games or cause them to see the games objectively rather than through the filter of fanboyism and this uncertainty is what causes them to lash out at Drinky Crow. So we can notate what we have so far as F -> U (If fanboy, then upset by troll). Drinky Crow then goes on to tell us how he, being the antifanboy, will not be upset if games he likes are trolled and I can believe him on this. However, this does not imply -F -> -U. I will here offer an example to counter -F -> -U:

I love the works of Luciano Berio. My love for his works started the first time I heard his piece Seaquenza V and has continued since then. I did not need anybody to tell me he is a good composer, I make my own value judgements and do not need other people to agree with me on my value judgements for me to consider them to be right. I am completely secure for my love of Berio's work. However, when I hear somebody say something about Berio's works such as "They're just random noises, not music. There's no structure to them and they sounds just like somebody picked up the instrument and started randomly pushing buttons." Or, "Berio's not a good composer because he just steals music from Mahler, Debussy, and Boulez," it does anger me, but not because it makes me doubt my judgement, but because I'm upset by the fact that I cannot convey to this other person the same set of value judgements I have regarding Luciano Berio. I am not insecure in my judgement of Berio, but I do get upset by Berio trolls.

So -F -> -U does not apply universally. The only function we have that applies universally is F -> U. To assume from this U -> F would be to affirm the consequent, which is a formal fallacy.

Perhaps, since I haven't capitalized any sentences in full, this is not eloquent enough for you slayn. However I hope you realize that the argument itself is sound.

I love the works of Luciano Berio. My love for his works started the first time I heard his piece Seaquenza V and has continued since then.

This is the coolest piece of gratuitous name-dropping I've seen in a while, even if I personally don't dare venture past Webern or so. Encore!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just like the MAF threads in similar fashion, these sensationalist threads are interesting because, as someone mentioned before, they bring out people who agree with the original poster. I still remember MAF's dual shock 2 d-pad sucks thread...as the thread progressed more and more people agreed with MAF. Soon enough, people were really, really hating on the D-pad. It's like MAF/Drinky make it OK to "come out of the closet", whether it be hating on Nintendo or D-pads. It's funny 'cause people sometimes try to reply seriously. I do that myself sometimes, but only when it comes to Xenogears-bashing and with some self-distance added as well. :p
Guess it can't be helped with junior members though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Let's see Square, Namco, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, EA, Sega, and some other folks get together with Panasonic, NEC, and a few other hardware folks to create a gaming standard, similar to the DVD group... then, and only then, will goodness reign supreme in the world of gaming.

(Mutters something about "mainly because it would kill off Sony, finally")

Triumph

Banned
Oh for fuck's sakes, people.

IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME COMPANY.

Jesus.

GAP JEANS ARE TEH SUXXOR! IF YOU THINK DIFFERENTLY, YOU ARE TEH GHEY!!!11

Seriously, who's for raising the age limit to a fully mentally devoloped age of around 22? This shit just reminds me of why I tend to stay the fuck out of the gaming forum.

Oh, and I hate Nintendo, your mother and your servant of savage African descent that keeps overflowing all of your fucking bathtubs. Oops, that's you dumb bastards.

Grow up. THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES. THE WORLD WILL NOT END JUST BECAUSE DRINKY CROW HATES YOUR FAVORITE GAME AND MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID WHEN YOU TRY TO ARGUE WITH HIM.

It's going to end because P. Diddy made your dumb ass vote.

Ugh. I'm going to bed. I hope all of you are dumber after reading all of this. I know I am.

SantaC

Raoul Duke said:

Jesus.

Seriously, who's for raising the age limit to a fully mentally devoloped age of around 22? This shit just reminds me of why I tend to stay the fuck out of the gaming forum.

Oh, and I hate Nintendo, your mother and your servant of savage African descent that keeps overflowing all of your fucking bathtubs. Oops, that's you dumb bastards.

Grow up. THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES. THE WORLD WILL NOT END JUST BECAUSE DRINKY CROW HATES YOUR FAVORITE GAME AND MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID WHEN YOU TRY TO ARGUE WITH HIM.

Ugh. I'm going to bed. I hope all of you are dumber after reading all of this. I know I am.

blah blah blah blah

etiolate

Banned
Raoul Duke said:

Jesus.

Okay, this made me actually read the whole thread out of curiousity.

For some reason this has been painted as 1. Drinky makes an insult-Nintendo thread, 2. Nintendo fans cry,

After reading the thread though, the reality of the topic and responses are 1. Drinky makes dumb thread. 2. Half the people respond with HAHA GOOD ONE DRINKY and the other half respond "this is a dumb thread" plus a couple of people who don't know Drinky's history respond. This is an over-simplification of things, as there are some posts which actually wonder if Metroid will bomb like such. Still, the general perception of the thread is very different from the actuality of the thread.

This misconception is likely because GAF regulars understand things through preset categorizations. Nintendo fans are oversensitive, junior members are all dumb, etc. This is where the myth about a Nintendo-Republican connection comes in. People equate Nintendo and Republican because they are both two oft hated on groups in the forums, so it enforces the idea of superiority to say people who like Nintendo are Republican.
The truth of the subject is quite different actually. Even in this thread the Republican-Nintendo connection meets people who don't fit, but it just doesn't work with the GAF mindset so its rejected.

Socreges

Banned
etiolate said:
Okay, this made me actually read the whole thread out of curiousity.

For some reason this has been painted as 1. Drinky makes an insult-Nintendo thread, 2. Nintendo fans cry,

After reading the thread though, the reality of the topic and responses are 1. Drinky makes dumb thread. 2. Half the people respond with HAHA GOOD ONE DRINKY and the other half respond "this is a dumb thread" plus a couple of people who don't know Drinky's history respond. This is an over-simplification of things, as there are some posts which actually wonder if Metroid will bomb like such. Still, the general perception of the thread is very different from the actuality of the thread.
Yeah, but even this post won't matter. People will see the title post, five pages, and assume what they'd like to.

This is where the myth about a Nintendo-Republican connection comes in. People equate Nintendo and Republican because they are both two oft hated on groups in the forums, so it enforces the idea of superiority to say people who like Nintendo are Republican.
The truth of the subject is quite different actually. Even in this thread the Republican-Nintendo connection meets people who don't fit, but it just doesn't work with the GAF mindset so its rejected.
It's exaggerated, to be sure, but a large percentage of the Republicans here tend to be Nintendo fans. Though maybe because a large percentage of the board members here tend to be Nintendo fans. Dunno.

Top Bottom