• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

BFIB

Man, Jason Heyward will never live up to that contract. The guy can't hit at all. What was Theo thinking.

As long as you accept the fact that he's never going to be a powerhouse hitter, but makes up for it on defense, he'll be right on what he was paid to do.

gamz

As long as you accept the fact that he's never going to be a powerhouse hitter, but makes up for it on defense, he'll be right on what he was paid to do.

Yep. He's been a at least a 5 war player 4 outta his 6 years. He's only 26 and probably pressing right now. He'll be fine.

Man, Jason Heyward will never live up to that contract. The guy can't hit at all. What was Theo thinking.

i don't get why people say stuff like this. heyward is 26 and had over 3,000 AB of major league competency under his belt. there was no reason to think he'd have a .650 OPS halfway through the season, and there's no real reason to think it will continue.

if he ends up being a .235/.326/.324 guy for the entirety of the contract, than yeah, it was a bad signing. to say "what was theo thinking?" because heyward has performed way under his career levels for a few months is silly.

gamz

i don't get why people say stuff like this. heyward is 26 and had over 3,000 AB of major league competency under his belt. there was no reason to think he'd have a .650 OPS halfway through the season, and there's no real reason to think it will continue.

if he ends up being a .235/.326/.324 guy for the entirety of the contract, than yeah, it was a bad signing. to say "what was theo thinking?" because heyward has performed way under his career levels for a few months is silly.

People were saying the same thing with the Lester signing in the first half of last year.

It's silly.

BFIB

Yep. He's been a at least a 5 war player 4 outta his 6 years. He's only 26 and probably pressing right now. He'll be fine.

A lot of Cards fans said the same last year regarding his offense. He is just never going to be a powerhouse hitter. He has the build, he has the size, but his batting approach just doesn't warrant that type of production.

A lot of Cards fans said the same last year regarding his offense. He is just never going to be a powerhouse hitter. He has the build, he has the size, but his batting approach just doesn't warrant that type of production.

nobody has expected heyward to be a power hitter

gamz

He doesn't have to be.

Explain what?

The glory that is Cleveland Stadium Mustard, the most amazing hot dog mustard that's ever been invented?

cleveland_mustard-900x675.jpg

Now, there are factions amongst Cleveland stadium mustard aficianados. The one on the left is in the big bucket though. And it's the best thing about that convention.

Also available at the lovely Goodyear AZ Ballpark for Indians spring training.

We're also the Mustard champs. :)

BFIB

nobody has expected heyward to be a power hitter

When he first came up w/ Atlanta, he was projected to be a possible 20/20 player. Once he was diagnosed with his back injury in 2011 and then offset that by in turn hurting his shoulder to try and correct his back injuries, his power went down quite a bit, and he's never been able to replicate his first year and a half or so. Count that w/ his wrist that has given him issues throughout his playing career, it explains a lot of the power end. A guy his size theoretically should hit a lot more for power than he does now.

So the news on Peralta isn't great. He has a severe strain on another thumb ligament, likely tied to what kept him out at the beginning of the year. Mo is posturing hard by saying they don't want to give up a lot for a "short term bat", but I think CarGo or Blackmon is a real possibility.

Gyroko at 2B, Marp back at 3B, Holliday at 1B.

Nah, I don't think they'll look for a bat, unless Brandon Moss is not coming back. The offense has been fine without Peralta.

Bullpen is the biggest need, but hoping they don't go out and try to grab Miller or Chapman or whatever. Take a flyer on some reliever. Can't be any worse than Broxton, who probably costs a ton just trying to get pants that fit him. I bet we get someone from Milwuakee. Seems like we always do

gamz

Tim Kurkjian said on ESPN just a little bit ago that the Cubs and Mariners had made a trade but didn't know any details..

BFIB

We will miss Gomes' defense, his bat not so much. lol.

How is Lucroy on D?

Still could use another reliever tho.

Lucroy would be a huge pickup for the Tribe. Having a great season at the plate, and his defense is underrated. Should have had a couple GG.

rando14

Vogelbach is 6', 250 lbs??

I mean don't get me wrong, fat people in baseball is always amusing, but still... how fat is TOO fat...? lol

EDIT:

Mike Axisa ‏@mikeaxisa
Montgomery-Vogelbach is the poor man's version of Pineda-Montero.

*ptsd flashbacks

Top Bottom