• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

eznark

Banned
You don't recall your outrage at the signing at the time?

Kyle is a solid pitcher; it's just the risk of him falling off the cliff before that contract ends - although you're right: some team will probably overpay for him at next year's deadline if he's still a good pitcher in 2014. I think you'd have to get more than a first round draft pick to avoid a net loss. Paying a guy market rate during 2+ non-contending years with the risk of the contract blowing up on you AND giving a division rival a compensation pick is right up there with adding a shitastic reliever that might regain form over the span of 10-20 innings.

Course I do but he's been good.

I just think it's silly to judge one move with the benefit of hindsight but not another. If Axford magically provides positive value for the Cards en route to a deep playoff run, this move still looks lousy and everyone has the right to claim how lucky the Cards got with his performance.

The difference is that the risk in this case is contained over the time of the next few months while the Lohse contract was never a risk until year 2 at the earliest unless his arm blew up.

BFIB

Cardinals acquire John Axford.....John Fucking Axford.....there are head scratchers, then there are head scratchers.

I'd feel better about the Axford deal if Dave Duncan were still around. That man crafted some serious black magic shit when it came to turning around bad-to-average pitchers.

BS4t_IhCEAAaqN1.jpg:large

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
How can anyone hate Mauer? I hate the Twins, but Mauer is a talented and beautiful man.
Because his contract pays him market value and he doesn't hit enough DINGERS or RIBEYES basically. Mauer doesn't hit a lot of home runs, but he hits a ton of doubles. They say he needs to "swing the bat more" when in late game situations (career .992 OPS with RISP & 2 outs, career .871 OPS in BR's "late & close" category) instead of "just trying to get on base." They say "sure he has a .408 career OBP but he needs to produce!" The lineup construction in front of Mauer has been terrible, which means there's rarely people for him to drive in on base. But he's constantly on base allowing Willingham or Cuddyer or Morneau to drive him in. He's an incredible player and he's the best player I have ever, or will ever likely get to watch as a Twin.

Some of the weird little stats about him are just nutty. He's only popped out to the infield 21 times in his entire career. He's only done it twice since 2010. He's only swung at a 3-0 pitch 13 times in his entire career. After a 3-0 count his career OPS is 1.425 so I mean, I think he knows what he's doing up there.

I hope all of these idiots who complain about him or say he stinks or say he's overpaid hang their head in shame when they're walking through Gate 7 at Target Field ten years from now.

Branduil

Because his contract pays him market value and he doesn't hit enough DINGERS or RIBEYES basically. Mauer doesn't hit a lot of home runs, but he hits a ton of doubles. They say he needs to "swing the bat more" when in late game situations (career .992 OPS with RISP & 2 outs, career .871 OPS in BR's "late & close" category) instead of "just trying to get on base." They say "sure he has a .408 career OBP but he needs to produce!" The lineup construction in front of Mauer has been terrible, which means there's rarely people for him to drive in on base. But he's constantly on base allowing Willingham or Cuddyer or Morneau to drive him in. He's an incredible player and he's the best player I have ever, or will ever likely get to watch as a Twin.

Some of the weird little stats about him are just nutty. He's only popped out to the infield 21 times in his entire career. He's only done it twice since 2010. He's only swung at a 3-0 pitch 13 times in his entire career. After a 3-0 count his career OPS is 1.425 so I mean, I think he knows what he's doing up there.

I hope all of these idiots who complain about him or say he stinks or say he's overpaid hang their head in shame when they're walking through Gate 7 at Target Field ten years from now.

image.php

The Orioles have acquired Michael Morse from the Mariners. Mariners are getting a currently-unknown prospect in return.

EDIT: Xavier Avery is going to the Mariners.

turnbuckle

If only he knew how to win, right?

JABEE

Him having to take that much less would lead me to believe his elbow is made of paper mache. Something must be really fucked.
Yep. His deal is supposed to start in 2014. He's going to be in the starting rotation next year according to Amaro. He has big bonuses in his deal depending on his performance. I hope he isn't worn out.

JABEE

Bob Nightengale said:
The #Phillies plan for Gonzalez to be in the rotation in 2014, and projected to be No. 2-3 starter.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/373539438787170304

Jim Salisbury said:
Amaro just said Gonzalez will not pitch in bigs in 2013. Will pitch in Fla Instructional League. Profiles to to be in rotation in 14

https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN/status/373539486203793408

Bob Nightengale said:
Gonzalez, who had bone chips removed from his elbow, will have performance bonuses in #Phillies 3-year, $12 million contract w/ 2017 option

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/373539776827121664

I hope this works out.

There should be a rule that before you shit talk a division rival your team actually has to win a playoff series in the last decade or so. Oh well I am sure that Braves wont find a new way to fuck up in the playoffs this year.

Replace Mauer with Joey Votto and you have the 2013 Reds season in a nutshell. And since Cincinnati is Cincinnati and the team's best player is always the scapegoat, it's only going to get worse if the team isn't the 2nd coming of the Big Red Machine.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fernandez is going to throw his first no-hitter tonight.
Chris Johnson will get a blooper and Schafer will get a infield single that should be an error. Cancer # 2 will pinch run for Johnson and steal 2nd, 3rd and home. Braves win 1-0.

Fox318

I just found a letter from the Boston Red Sox begging for my grandfather to try out for the team and a newspaper clipping saying he could have been the next Bob Feller.

This is a pretty good post. I like it. Baseball fans get way too far up their own ass over stats (me included).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Replace Mauer with Joey Votto and you have the 2013 Reds season in a nutshell. And since Cincinnati is Cincinnati and the team's best player is always the scapegoat, it's only going to get worse if the team isn't the 2nd coming of the Big Red Machine.
Yeah, I find this stuff idiotic about Votto too. Obviously I'm not as close to it but I don't understand the hand wringing at all. Votto's not the problem. Mauer's not the problem. Fans are some real idiots sometimes.

This is a pretty good post. I like it. Baseball fans get way too far up their own ass over stats (me included).
They do. I mean the Twins are terrible. I was tuning in to watch Mauer play. It was worth watching this trainwreck of a team to watch a player who will likely go down as one of the best catchers OF ALL TIME play for his home town team during the prime of his career. Now that he's on the DL I don't want to bother.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Cleveland is 3-13 against the Tigers this season, it will be interesting to see if they can improve on that with this last series.

Cards-Pirates should be another good series this weekend.

turnbuckle

Cleveland is 3-13 against the Tigers this season, it will be interesting to see if they can improve on that with this last series.

Cards-Pirates should be another good series this weekend.

Porcello is going to shut the door on Cleveland. They can try again next year

Top Bottom