• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

So does this mean Reigen was secretly watching Mob progress all this time, hiding his skills and pretending to be a fraud so he could test Mob over and over again?

There can't just be two episodes left. I need more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This next episode should be awesome and the final episode, if they cover what I think they will should be a great stopping point for the first season and very emotional on top of that.

I haven't read the manga, so I have no idea what happens next, but if the series wants to convince me that Reigen has actually all this time been secretly a high-level psychic leading a gigantic evil organization aiming for world domination, when he's not busy giving massages, it has a lot of convincing to do.

HStallion

Reigen is actually a 1000 year old dragon trapped in a girls body trapped in a mans.

Wiseblade

Oh no no what I meant was that Reigen has been masking his power the whole time until that last scene where he unleashed his aura, presumably to get the grunts to fall in line.

What do you mean? You mean before the recent scene where he enters the Claw building? It stands to reason that an extremely strong esper would be able to completely mask their power.

If he's letting it loose now, I imagine that the others would go "what's this feeling?" as soon as he enters the building.
Masked his power level from a guy who was able to find a psychic and instantly determine his demeanor from a glance? And he kept this up through multiple life threatening scenarios? To what end?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So does this mean Reigen was secretly watching Mob progress all this time, hiding his skills and pretending to be a fraud so he could test Mob over and over again?

There can't just be two episodes left. I need more.

You mean this whole time Reigen was a fraud?!

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to be able to discuss theory and speculation here. Manga readers, please try to avoid saying stuff like "You're close!" or "Hehe, you'll see"-- try not to engage the speculators at all since it kinda ruins the fun.

Red Frost

Banned
My writer friend is losing it at the reveal and beating himself up for not seeing it coming (he loves predicting plotlines in anime and is pretty damn good at it). In hindsight he says its obvious for Reigan to be keeping Mob close to him if Mob is the one of the strongest espers around, since that way Reigan can keep tabs on him, groom him to be a potential protege and deal with him if he becomes a threat. He also lamented the fact that he didn't pick up on the "I can't sense Reigan because his powers are different" foreshadowing scene. Since Mob can explode in power, it totally makes sense for the opposite to also be possible and that Reigan has been suppressing his power.

Make sure to post your writer friend's reaction for next week's episode as well.

You mean this whole time Reigen was a fraud?!

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to be able to discuss theory and speculation here. Manga readers, please try to avoid saying stuff like "You're close!" or "Hehe, you'll see"-- try not to engage the speculators at all since it kinda ruins the fun.

To be clear I haven't read the Manga*, that's just my theory about the next episode.

Can't wait.

*Yet. I may read it after the show ends
I'm not crazy about dimple but he was pretty great in this episode

Dimple is the best foil to Mob. Love it.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Guys, it's just Reigen's slightly older brother, relax.

Also Dimple is great. He seemed like he'll be terrible at first but he's really grown on me. "I just realised he was a pretty decent person."

Parshias7

Also Dimple is great. He seemed like he'll be terrible at first but he's really grown on me. "I just realised he was a pretty decent person."

It's just Reigen's twin brother, Reigan. But he's just a stepping stone, preparing Mob for the true enemy in season 2 - Reigon, who wields a weapon of immense power, the Reigun.
Reigin.

Breads

Banned

There isn't room for plausible deniability/ jokes though. He narrates the end scene saying "yeah it's me, whatever happens just live a happy life".

Dereck

I'm on episode 6 and what's making this series uninteresting is the similar "main character is nonchalant and then wrecks everything in his way", does this switch up later? Thinking about dropping the show but also thinking that I'll be missing some major character development later on.

Is this entire show just "Mob wins everything"?

It's just Reigen's twin brother, Reigan. But he's just a stepping stone, preparing Mob for the true enemy in season 2 - Reigon, who wields a weapon of immense power, the Reigun.
Reigin.

yuyuhakusho_yusuke.jpg

Qurupeke

Am I misinterpreting the show entirely? Call me out if you think so. I'm willing to rewatch it.

Mob's strong but it slowly becomes apparent he's not the strongest. And as a side note, it's not exactly Mob that wrecks everything but that "power" within him. The point is that Mob holds back in order not to endanger others.

The show's focus isn't the action (which is very, very good) but the characters. The main cast learns from their mistakes and Mob especially gets plenty of development. You could say that "Not everything is solved with violence." is like the motto of the show. For example, the fight with Hanazawa ended with Mob's victory, but actually both of them lost. Mob subconsciously resorted to violence and broke his vow, while Hanazawa had his entire worldview shattered.

I don't blame you if you still feel that the show is shallow, but I think it's really unfair to sum it up as "Mob wins everything". In any case, I think it's worth it just for its outstanding animation.

Dereck

It is unfair, yes.

I think I'm comparing it too much to One Punch Man, while your description is accurate (that the show is about more than just Mob fighting people), I don't like the "hidden power" aspect of both shows. But again, my particular interpretation is shallow.

EDIT: not hidden power, but the main character having unexplained super strength from episode 1

CBTech

It is unfair, yes.

I think I'm comparing it too much to One Punch Man, while your description is accurate (that the show is about more than just Mob fighting people), I don't like the "hidden power" aspect of both shows. But again, my particular interpretation is shallow.

EDIT: not hidden power, but the main character having unexplained super strength from episode 1

In most shonen stories, power level is often directly related to character growth. Typically as a character grows more powerful they also overcome their character flaws. Mob Psycho 100 is ONE subverting that trope. Mob has all the power he can ever need, but he is extremely weak and flawed as a person. The story is about Mob growing as a person despite his powers.

Dereck

In most shonen stories, power level is often directly related to character growth. Typically as a character grows more powerful they also overcome their character flaws. Mob Psycho 100 is ONE subverting that trope. Mob has all the power he can ever need, but he is extremely weak and flawed as a person. The story is about Mob growing as a person despite his powers.
OK

HStallion

I'm on episode 6 and what's making this series uninteresting is the similar "main character is nonchalant and then wrecks everything in his way", does this switch up later? Thinking about dropping the show but also thinking that I'll be missing some major character development later on.

You are. Even the fights Mob "wins" he ends up losing in a lot of ways. Even defeating Teru basically involved him being choked out and losing his mind and his control of his powers. He didn't win, he lost and he went out of control and furthered his own personal "defeat" at having to use his powers to not only win but hurt people. His biggest win in that entire was getting control of himself, bringing everyone back to Earth and putting the school back together. Even still in his own eyes Mob not only lost but he gave into the innate desire to use his powers even if he was passed out.

Breads

Banned

Time for a pretentious "you don't get it".

Fighting is a hook but the show isn't about fighting. Mob isn't interested in "winning" so "winning" a fight isn't a win for him. He just isn't interested in it. What he actually wants to do is find out what he wants out of life but he's afraid of getting emotional/ passionate in anything because when he does he feels like there is a chance he will black out and commits violent acts with his psychic powers. It's more about him growing and his relationships with other people with a lot of fighting thrown in to keep the asses in the seats. I may be wrong but as an anime only viewer this is my takeaway.

HStallion

Sorry about that.

Its all good. I wouldn't take this show with the same mindset as One Punch Man despite being from the same author. This isn't so much a parody as OPM is and more of a coming of age story with psychic powers.

Mob's strong but it slowly becomes apparent he's not the strongest. And as a side note, it's not exactly Mob that wrecks everything but that "power" within him. The point is that Mob holds back in order not to endanger others.

The show's focus isn't the action (which is very, very good) but the characters. The main cast learns from their mistakes and Mob especially gets plenty of development. You could say that "Not everything is solved with violence." is like the motto of the show. For example, the fight with Hanazawa ended with Mob's victory, but actually both of them lost. Mob subconsciously resorted to violence and broke his vow, while Hanazawa had his entire worldview shattered.

I don't blame you if you still feel that the show is shallow, but I think it's really unfair to sum it up as "Mob wins everything". In any case, I think it's worth it just for its outstanding animation.

No he absolutely is the strongest...at least I haven't read anything that indicates otherwise.

Mob got most of his life philosophy from a short lecture from a con artist who just wanted him to leave, but Reigen meant what he said. He's not that bad of a dude. What a beautiful relationship.

kgtrep

I started watching the anime recently and am impressed by the pace at which the story moves. That flashback at the end was a really nice touch.

Top Bottom