• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

SalvaPot

402efed31f8d247510e4ead6a24f3dca8532256d_hq.jpg

Murata's interpretation of MP100's characters

Damn he made the creepy girl a huge hottie.

Love the buildup to the Mob Explosion.

Episode 3 was amazing, especially the part where Mob reverts everyone's smiles for a bit.

Funny how the show is focused on Mob coming to terms with his powers and realizing that he doesn't have to be afraid of being different, but of course since he's a kid he doesn't realize that fully yet.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Watched all 3 episodes last night and holy shit I'm loving this godlike animation. Soooo damn good and right up my alley.

NEO0MJ

Great episode.

But regarding the explosion, does that mean Mob can feel rage all the time or o only if he reaches 100% again?

NEO0MJ

Thats just when he pops his top and stops bottling up his emotions. He's afraid of lashing out so he tries to be as mundane as possible.

Oh,OK. I thought he'd stop trying to hide them after unlocking them but I guess it's only temporary. I guess he might truly unlock his emotions all the time by the end of the series.

Also, I forgot to mention I'm kinda not a fan of him going all shonen :p

I figured Mob's explosion would be "end of the world" type power which is why he tries to keep a lid on his emotions. So the scene was a little anti-climatic with that expectation, but it was still awesome. I love the screencap Rushersauce posted.

Great show so far

This is actually a big part of the story. Mob is a nobody and is designed with that in mind.

it might be part of the story but it doesn't mean it makes up for the zero charisma as a main character. The show is entirely running on the visuals and character designs for me right now. If more action scenes become regular then I guess that's another positive.

Egg0

Banned
At the rate that they're adapting this, anyone think that it's going to end at the
Claw arc
?

Because I'd love to see the stuff right after that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At the rate that they're adapting this, anyone think that it's going to end at the
Claw arc
?

Because I'd love to see the stuff right after that.
The OP references the broccoli, but the current pace is too slow to reach that point.

Moaradin

I find Mob a lot more interesting as a character than Saitama. And like OPM, Mob Psycho has a pretty good supporting cast to help carry it when it's not focusing on Mob's inner turmoil.

Haly

The problem is the anime doesn't sell Mob very well. They lavish a lot of attention on some of the actiony scenes but not on Mob's actual character. It feels like OPM in that it's mostly fights punctuated by some deadpan comedy but Mob Psycho is a lot more character driven than OPM.

The problem is the anime doesn't sell Mob very well. They lavish a lot of attention on some of the actiony scenes but not on Mob's actual character. It feels like OPM in that it's mostly fights punctuated by some deadpan comedy but Mob Psycho is a lot more character driven than OPM.

What exactly do you think the anime is doing wrong compared to the manga?

Maybe it's a show where his character works better in written form when it's accompanied by deadpan voiceovers. I'm liking the rest of the characters ok, but with him as a lead I'm just growing bored. At least the comedy was toned down this episode and it went more towards a narrative. Next episode it looks like it introduced the blonde guy from the OP, so hey maybe he will help with Mob having too much focus.

If they expand on his character further maybe I'll be interested in learning more about him. But 3 episodes in I haven't seen him anything that makes him a particularly great character.

Haly

What exactly do you think the anime is doing wrong compared to the manga?

It's hard to quantify. I'd have to look at it really in depth but my gut feeling is they're distributing their resources unevenly. The amazing psychedelic camera pan in Ep01, for example. It looks crazy good, but it's ultimately completely irrelevant to Mob's character. In contrast, I noticed they fucked up this scene in Ep03:

In the episode itself, the camera just moves to the dumbells and starts making them fly around. I think it was important to show Mob trying to decide on an adequate exhibition of his telekinesis. It conveys his lack of self confidence, his clumsiness and discomfort with frivolous usage of his abilities. This will be really important in the next episode, actually, and it's not being set up properly.

Two other examples are:

1) The tunnel exorcism in Ep01
2) The all girls school exorcism in Ep02

Both of these segments took up half their respective episodes, but in the manga they were omakes that didn't even show up until after the Dimple confrontation. The second one, going by manga chronology, shouldn't even show up until the end of this season.

Writing this, I realize that in the manga, ONE peppered these exorcism side comedies in between the meat of the story, which revolves around Mob as a person and the supporting cast. It's like if the second half of OPM Ep01 was about some sketch between Mumen Rider and Saitama, or Tonio showed up in Ep03 of Diamond is Unbreakable. In the anime, however, BONES is bringing these side stories to the forefront and using them as a "hook" by lavishing animation talent on them.

I don't think they're going to total waste, artistically or narratively, since every digression still tries to convey/advance Mob's perdicament. Nor am I in the "1:1 adaptation of the source material or bust" camp. But their choices are clearly robbing something from the story. The anime is, so far, a visual treat but narratively a bit of a dud. Manga readers are still invested because we know what's going to happen, but I understand why anime-only viewers feel something vital is missing.

Lastly, I think the Mob Psycho manga was slow to start, but eventually came into its own as ONE developed a better idea of the story he wanted to tell. BONES' mistake, I think, is taking an already tepid beginning and dragging it out with beautiful but immaterial side attractions.

RangerBAD

I personally think OPM is funnier than Mob, but, then again, it is a parody. I derive a lot of humor from ONE's art in the Mob manga. Dramatic faces in ONE's style are pretty funny. Outside of that, it's a pretty straight shounen story
that deals with an awkward guy trying to find a place divorced of his abilities. The whole point is for him to accept that as part of himself. He has a strong inferiority complex despite a lot of his crazy accomplishment.

I personally think OPM is funnier than Mob, but, then again, it is a parody. I derive a lot of humor from ONE's art in the Mob manga. Dramatic faces in ONE's style are pretty funny.

the humor in OPM so far has been stronger because yes it's a gag manga. But I keep hearing this isn't here for the humor.

It's hard to quantify. I'd have to look at it really in depth but my gut feeling is they're distributing their resources unevenly. The amazing psychedelic camera pan in episode 1 for example. It looks crazy good, but it's ultimately completely irrelevant to Mob's character. In contrast, I noticed they fucked up this scene in Ep03:

[...]

Lastly, I think the Mob Psycho manga was slow to start, but eventually came into its own as ONE developed a better idea of the story he wanted to tell. BONES' mistake, I think, is taking an already tepid beginning and dragging it out with beautiful but immaterial side attractions.

Interesting. I have not read the manga, so I appreciate you going into depth as to what you dislike about how the anime is handling the material. From what you describe, I can understand why you would feel the anime is focusing too heavily on attractive action at the expense of what you find interesting about the original story. I suppose we'll see what the rest of the anime does.

janoDX

I figured Mob's explosion would be "end of the world" type power which is why he tries to keep a lid on his emotions. So the scene was a little anti-climatic with that expectation, but it was still awesome. I love the screencap Rushersauce posted.

Great show so far

Reaching 100% is letting out his emotions.
Wait when he reaches ???%

Guys.... Mob grows as a character, it's pretty amazing to see it happen. Just wait, don't start assuming Mob is just a plain character, he is not.

Guys.... Mob grows as a character, it's pretty amazing to see it happen. Just wait, don't start assuming Mob is just a plain character, he is not.
He might, but the point is that we're going based entirely on the Anime, the Manga readers might promise the sky but I haven't seen it yet. It's good enough to not drop the show obviously I just gotta keep hoping it reaches the level where the praise of the Manga readers is warranted.

Permanently A

extremely vague manga spoilers

does the
__________broccoli________
in the opening mean that the anime will get to that point?

Haly

This is fine and all, but ideally it should be the anime that convinces people of this, not people who read the source material.

You people want everything at the start, jesus. The anime is just beginning.
Nobody is saying they're going to drop it, it's fine to be critical and state you aren't pleased as is. I don't have to assume everything will get better because the show just started, Anime has had situations where a show that starts shitty stays shitty, or starts amazing and ends in a much weaker note (Erased).

Haly

You people want everything at the start, jesus. The anime is just beginning.

Not at all. What I want is for a show to convey what it's capable of, rather than relying on people who already read it to say "no guys, trust me, it gets better". The "3 episode rule" is a pretty good baseline for evaluating a lot of short anime and so far Mob Psycho 100 hasn't astounded in that timeframe beyond being very beautiful. I think Hyouka also had this problem and while that doesnt stop Hyouka from being a masterpiece it doesn't mean the beginning wasn't still lukewarm.

Ping Pong and Uchouten Kazoku, both anime from recent years, were instantly appealing. They didn't need people going "just stick with it", or "you guys have it all wrong, you'll see". They didn't need a massive animation budget either. Just good storytelling, and strategic tipping of their hand to charm the viewers into wanting more.

I really like it so far, and it has me engaged and wanting to watch more.

I just really love the look of it. It gives me these vibes of 80/90s mtv/usa animation, mixed with the real ghostbusters cartoon and anime mixed together. I just love looking at it, lol.

Qvoth

i dunno, i feel like he doesn't look angry enough for being 100% angry
just re-read the chapter again, seems like the manga's like that too

oh well we still have other explosions to look forward to :3

Permanently A

Not at all. What I want is for a show to convey what it's capable of, rather than relying on people who already read it to say "no guys, trust me, it gets better". The "3 episode rule" is a pretty good baseline for evaluating a lot of short anime and so far Mob Psycho 100 hasn't astounded in that timeframe beyond being very beautiful. I think Hyouka also had this problem and while that doesnt stop Hyouka from being a masterpiece it doesn't mean the beginning wasn't still lukewarm.

Ping Pong and Uchouten Kazoku, both anime from recent years, were instantly appealing. They didn't need people going "just stick with it", or "you guys have it all wrong, you'll see". They didn't need a massive animation budget either. Just good storytelling, and strategic tipping of their hand to charm the viewers into wanting more.

This is totally unrelated, but I've been seeing Ping Pong recommended everywhere and decided to finally jump in.

I finished the whole thing in one sitting. Wow. Thank you so much for recommending it. It was a wonderful story.

This is totally unrelated, but I've been seeing Ping Pong recommended everywhere and decided to finally jump in.

I finished the whole thing in one sitting. Wow. Thank you so much for recommending it. It was a wonderful story.

if you want another show most in AnimeGAF will recommend give a watch to Space Battleship Yamato 2199

dickroach

Mob is definitely a slower burn than OPM, but the arc covered by the next 2 episodes is where it really takes off IMO.

that's awesome to hear. I feel like seeing what 100% was really solidified what this show was. I didn't really see where the show was going after the first two.

can't wait for next week: "Mob gets dragged into an idiotic event run by idiots for idiots."

that's awesome to hear. I feel like seeing what 100% was really solidified what this show was. I didn't really see where the show was going after the first two.

can't wait for next week: "Mob gets dragged into an idiotic event run by idiots for idiots."

He needs to get a clue.

vypek

Saw a crunchyroll commercial for this the other day. Looked kind of entertaining. Probably going to try to give it a try this weekend.

Top Bottom