• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allandor

New feature for the PS4. Sony just released a new app so you can stream your PS5 games from your local console to the PS4.

This is indeed a nice feature and can help that the PS4 has still a purpose in a household.

But at the same time Sony shows, that PS5 games work fine with PS4 controllers. Yes they don't support the new immersion, etc, but they work. So they are artificially exclude PS4 controllers from the PS5 games so you need new PS5 controllers for couch coop, but at the same time they prove, that the games have no problems with PS4 controllers.

I really get why you should play with a PS5 controller single-player games, but with couch-coop it would be really nice to at least support PS4 controllers for the second/third/fourth/... player.

Last edited:

geordiemp

geordiemp geordiemp has been postulating that it's a server set up for months.
Thoughts, Geordie lad?

MS even say its a server design for the XSX CPU, the XSX is designed around running 4 x xb1 games (4 shader arrays) again this was said by MS themselves. So its not a theory, its fact.

So some other things in the main PCB with the APU that are needed for the blade application will also be in the XSX is of course possible.

But the 20 GB story is a mystery and we dont know if there are 2 different main PCB motherboard variants..

I doubt console games would use the 20 GB for anything, as how would that scale to the series S ?

He's a Geordie, man. T-shirts in December, cheesy chips for every meal. Takes more than a messageboard to take that lad down.

I pop in in my spare time, supposed to be working at the moment lol, I will look into his later tonight if I have time.

Last edited:

BatSu

why today ? @Mod of War is in a good mood as we have Bugsnax

HiSLdKU.png

tenor.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This was already posted before, it’s an edited clip from yongyea’s review with the volume levels turned up the wazoo
I mean I don't think it sounds bad, you simply cannot go around this, when you need to spin disc at x angle speed to reach particular data rate....

v_iHuGi

Banned

Thank goodness, we dont want yanky tearing game to be praised and everyone needs a new TV to enjoy the game without cutting my eyeballs.

Tearing and bad frame rates cannot be acceptable by having to use a freesync monitor or a new TV with that feature, these are consoles.

No no every Xbox is suddenly turned into a VRR compatible TV.

I can't wait for these videos, watching a stream on SX looks like it drops to 50 fps on some cutscenes, resolution drops badly, my guess? 1600p or so.

Should have been quiet & let the game come out, celebrating victories ahead of time now enjoy what's to come.

😂

No no every Xbox is suddenly turned into a VRR compatible TV.

I can't wait for these videos, watching a stream on SX looks like it drops to 50 fps on some cutscenes, resolution drops badly, my guess? 1600p or so.

Should have been quiet & let the game come out, celebrating victories ahead of time now enjoy what's to come.

😂
Lower.

Moses85

The Sony Picture shows the warehouse of Indiana Jones 4, right?

keram keram

Last edited:

Razzy-

So a mega corporation didn’t lie in their mass marketing, shocking. Nice FUD attempt tho, half of you guys had your dicks out

I think those who raised the point of it being Gen 3 cause the WD website mentioned it as is. Gen 3. Its OEM tho. Link: https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/pc-sn530-ssd

Clarification is good. It is a custom SSD for XSX. So i don't really think it is FUD as it was incomplete info and based as per what i mentioned above.
This can be put to rest now. Let's move on. Next Gen is here! enjoy the games on both systems. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

It's 4 lanes PCIE 3.0 or 2 lanes PCIE 4.0. Both at same maximum theorical speed 3.94GB/s.

I guess the internal SSD is pcie 3.0 because it's cheaper than 2 lanes pcie 4.0. But doesn't matter.

No. It's only two lanes internal. So if the drive was Gen3, max is 2GB/s. If the drive is custom and is Gen4, then it's 2.4GB/s based off the spec of the drive.

THE:MILKMAN

So a mega corporation didn’t lie in their mass marketing, shocking. Nice FUD attempt tho, half of you guys had your dicks out

Just as I suspected yesterday then. I'm not sure why yourself and many other Xbox fans have angrily called FUD, though? I personally just commented about how it doesn't seem to be an elegant solution given the time MS say they have been working on integrating a SSD into a console (I called it a hodgepodge!) but in the end it is all irrelevant when the damn drive is specced to 2.4GB/s anyway, way within Gen3 speeds!

Mr Moose

According to Western Digital, the Xbox Series X's WD SN530 SSD isn't a stock OEM drive that's limited to PCIe Gen3 x4 performance. Instead, the drive has been outfitted with a special ASIC that enables both PCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2 performance

*Does some quick math*
That's the same thing, 4GBs. 3.0 x1 = 1GBs (right?) 4.0 x1 = 2GBs?

ethomaz

Banned
Just as I suspected yesterday then. I'm not sure why yourself and many other Xbox fans have angrily called FUD, though? I personally just commented about how it doesn't seem to be an elegant solution given the time MS say they have been working on integrating a SSD into a console (I called it a hodgepodge!) but in the end it is all irrelevant when the damn drive is specced to 2.4GB/s anyway, way within Gen3 speeds!
They are still calling FUD in the thread.
It was nice to see the previous teardown was indeed true.

Allandor

*Does some quick math*
That's the same thing, 4GBs. 3.0 x1 = 1GBs (right?) 4.0 x1 = 2GBs?
Yes, that's right. The only reason to use 2 lanes instead of 4 is, that 2 lanes are much simpler to route and is enough for their desired speed target. It is as simple as that. Just to reduce the cost a bit more with things, they just don't need.

ToadMan

I’ve got bad news for you this news confirms

1. This is a PCIe gen 3 drive customised to interface to a reduced PCIe 4 interface
2. it won’t achieve 2.4Gb/s sustained. It’ll be about 1.9gb/s.

The article you linked included what many had theorised

“ special ASIC that enables bothPCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2”

They’ve mapped the default drive’s x4 gen 3 lanes to x2 gen 4 lanes. That’s the same overall bandwidth.

Unfortunately by implication this confirms it’s a stock unit in terms of its bandwidth which means the benchmarks for it are also confirmed.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/WDC-PC-SN530-SDBPNPZ-1T00-SSD-Benchmarks.476624.0.html

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They are still calling FUD in the thread.
It was nice to see the previous teardown was indeed true.
No it was not true, but don't let reality stand in your way. That whole thread is about it being Gen 3 which it is clearly not.

According to Western Digital, the Xbox Series X's WD SN530 SSD isn't a stock OEM drive that's limited to PCIe Gen3 x4 performance. Instead, the drive has been outfitted with a special ASIC that enables both PCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2 performance, which allows for up to 3.938 GB of max throughput. For reference, the Series X targets 2.4GB/sec in uncompressed data transfers.

Yes, the Xbox Series X's internal SSD is indeed custom, and it is a PCIe 4.0 enabled drive. We apologize for publishing wrong information and for any issues or confusion this has caused.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7613...as-custom-asic-to-support-pcie-4-0/index.html

ethomaz

Banned
I’ve got bad news for you this news confirms

1. This is a PCIe gen 3 drive customised to interface to a reduced PCIe 4 interface
2. it won’t achieve 2.4Gb/s sustained. It’ll be about 1.9gb/s.

The article you linked included what many had theorised

“ special ASIC that enables bothPCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2”

They’ve mapped the default drive’s x4 gen 3 lanes to x2 gen 4 lanes. That’s the same overall bandwidth.

Unfortunately by implication this confirms it’s a stock unit in terms of its bandwidth which means the benchmarks for it are also confirmed.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/WDC-PC-SN530-SDBPNPZ-1T00-SSD-Benchmarks.476624.0.html
I think there won't be any limitation because physical lanes for PCI-E 3.0 and PCI-E 4.0 are the same... what changes is the protocol of PCI-E to travel the date that is optimized to archive the double of data traveling (basically they use compressions).

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It was very true.
The previous teardown showed a WD SN530... today teardown of retail units shows a WD SN530.

So much for FUD and debunked lol
Why are you ignoring the article and comment from WD which clearly says the opposite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom