• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
356Ux.jpg

we will always have the memories

Goodnight Sweet Prince

I missed the game last night, was the ravens D that bad or Manning that great? Or a little of both?

Edit: Yikes, starting watching the highlights and the D looked like shit.

effzee

I missed the game last night, was the ravens D that bad or Manning that great? Or a little of both?

Edit: Yikes, starting watching the highlights and the D looked like shit.

Ravens D was ok until a blown call on a Wes Welker catch (it clearly hit the ground and should have been challenged). At that point the Ravens were up 17-14 and actually should have been up more if not for a dropped TD pass by Dallas Clark.

But from that point on Manning went nuts and ate the Ravens soul.

Godslay

Banned
DRC looked good a few games for the Eagles as well. I doubt he keeps it up.

No offense, but he wasn't used correctly as well as having a terrible dc in Philly.

von miller was poppin molly's and doing hand stands twerking in front of a door last night. hes gonna be suspended for a season soon

Why u mad tho?

Neither did the Broncos. I think Manning makes the average pieces around him better.

In Indy they still had Garcon and Wayne at WRs. They could have flipped that #1 pick to get a great deal like the Browns did with the Skins. They could have used those picks, or even the #1 pick, to build up the roster in other spots mainly the D.

Obviously its hard to say now because Luck seems legit but the way Manning has bounced back, armed with the #1 pick, and a weak division they could have just as strong.

Team was solid before Manning. He does raise all boats, but the talent was there before him in a lot of positions.

effzee

No offense, but he wasn't used correctly as well as having a terrible dc in Philly.

I'll admit that none of the players on D were used correctly the past two seasons. We had a clown show.

But effort, tackling, and coverage skills aren't scheme. I actually wouldn't have minded if we kept both DRC and or Nnamdi (at reduced prices) because maybe under a new regime they could have been revived. But some effort related things are very questionable with him.

I actually remember some Cardinals fans telling me when we acquired him ... " he can be great WHEN he wants to be". Maybe in Denver he wants to.

Team was solid before Manning. He does raise all boats, but the talent was there before him in a lot of positions.

So were the Colts. The year before Manning sat out the whole season they won their usual 11+ games. I am just wondering what I would have done as a GM and or Owner. Tough call. Manning has come back strong and makes almost any team he is on a legit SB contender.

MechDX

Gyh3EK.gif

...er, Sunday.

I don't get why players say such stupid things. Why give the opponent anything for motivation. Give em the ol Peyton answer! "Well gosh I think Cam is great! He is agreat competitor and I love to watch him play...but not against me of course!"...stupid chuckle laugh...

Colasante

So were the Colts. The year before Manning sat out the whole season they won their usual 11+ games. I am just wondering what I would have done as a GM and or Owner. Tough call. Manning has come back strong and makes almost any team he is on a legit SB contender.

If you believe that Andrew Luck can be a franchise QB, then it's a no brainer. I think Irsay made the right call. The team won 10 games in 2010, but that was almost entirely on Manning. Seeing that Anthony Gonzalez, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai, and the rest of the castoffs have barely found work since being cut, it's clear that the team was just old and not good enough. If you're going to fire your GM and reboot the franchise, it would have made no sense to keep Manning at his insanely high salary when you could draft Luck on the cheap and have him grow with the new pieces you add.

Godslay

Banned
I'll admit that none of the players on D were used correctly the past two seasons. We had a clown show.

But effort, tackling, and coverage skills aren't scheme. I actually wouldn't have minded if we kept both DRC and or Nnamdi (at reduced prices) because maybe under a new regime they could have been revived. But some effort related things are very questionable with him.

I actually remember some Cardinals fans telling me when we acquired him ... " he can be great WHEN he wants to be". Maybe in Denver he wants to.

He is in a contract year. I've heard no complaints about him at all this year.

Yeah. Brady only did that once. Dat 99 yard Welker TD. He did throw 5 TD's in half against some team in the playoffs. That was more impressive.

Thomas had what a 60-70 yard TD last night? Hardly trying to pad stats, can't blame him for executing an aggressive game plan in the second half by Gase.

That 5 TDs wasn't nearly as impressive as pitching 17 out there against the Giants. Excuse me, 14 points.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Reminds me of

Brees record 5476 yards 657 attempts
Pad Statford 2012 - 4967 yards on 727 attempts.

Why did you leave out Stafford`s 2011 stats where he dropped 5,000+ yards 40+ TDs etc. at the age of 23, all while leading the Lions to a playoff berth for the first time in a decade?

Stafford had his #2,3,4 WRs out with no running game to speak of last year. Makes his stats even more impressive.

eznark

Banned
The past is the past.

I still can't believe we called a fucking rollout on 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line...smh Chud

Yeah Chud, what a fucking moron. Designs a play that gets two receivers wide open for days but has the audacity to think Cam can complete a pass.

Just hand the ball off, laptop.

Tom Penny

That 5 TDs wasn't nearly as impressive as pitching 17 out there against the Giants. Excuse me, 14 points.

True. I won't even bother to put up Manning vs Pats stats in the playoffs before Polian cried his way to changing the rules for Colts / Manning.

Godslay

Banned
Yeah I forgot about that 2011 season where Brady padded his stats for:

5,235 yards, over 611 attempts and 39 TDs.

Not to mention that 2007 season with 4800+ yards and 50 TDs.

That's Drew Brees level shit.

True. I won't even bother to put up Manning vs Pats stats in the playoffs before Polian cried his way to changing the rules for Colts / Manning.

Tuck rule, now go crawl back into your troll hole.

Bowser

Yeah Chud, what a fucking moron. Designs a play that gets two receivers wide open for days but has the audacity to think Cam can complete a pass.

Just hand the ball off, laptop.

Yeah, Cam should have hit the pass no question. But the playcall was dumb. You have a 6'5" 240 lb wrecking ball and you need one yard to get into the endzone. All Cam has to do is fall forward and it's a TD. Chud had some innovative play designs, but he always seemed to tinker too much rather than play to the roster's strengths.

To be honest this is the only thing that bothered me about Marino as well. I mean, I'm sure it's about skill sometimes but some of those crazy years? Come on man, at least try not to make it completely obvious.

I've always appreciated guys like Sanchez and Cassell for their modest stats. We know you're an NFL QB, you don't have to flaunt it...

eznark

Banned
Yeah, Cam should have hit the pass no question. But the playcall was dumb. You have a 6'5" 240 lb wrecking ball and you need one yard to get into the endzone. All Cam has to do is fall forward and it's a TD. Chud had some innovative play designs, but he always seemed to tinker too much rather than play to the roster's strengths.

The play was right, Cam didn't execute. Cam fucked up the pass, why do you think he wouldn't fuck up the run? Seems like you're assuming a whole lot from Just Losez.

Spinluck

I fucking despise Polian, especially his later years with us.

But a Pats fans crying about this shit is more irony than I could take. Lol.

MechDX

Why did you leave out Stafford`s 2011 stats where he dropped 5,000+ yards 40+ TDs etc. at the age of 23, all while leading the Lions to a playoff berth for the first time in a decade?

Stafford had his #2,3,4 WRs out with no running game to speak of last year. Makes his stats even more impressive.

Are you real or are you an internet posting bot?

ChanHuk

Banned
So I watched Bringing Out The Dead and what the fuck. There are some big name actors in that movie. I'm more like Tom Sizemore than Nic Cage.

Yep, that was me talking about DRC back when we traded for Kolb. He has loads of talent and had speed but was always immature and had motivational issues. After he was injured in the divisional round against the Saints in Warner's final year, he became a complete bitch that shies away from contact and forgot how to tackle. This fear and hesitation will prevent him from ever being great and his motivation is what keeps him from being a viable starter. Maybe playing for a contender in Denver will change the latter aspect but he definitely needs to prove it before anyone assumes anything.

Tom Penny

Comparing Brady stat padding to me talking about Stafford throwing basically the most pass attempts ever to wind up with 20 tds and 17 INT's lol and far less yards than other with way more attempts.

They tried both zone and man to man, not sure how else they could have used him. He has a ton of skill but he is amazingly non-physical. It will be interesting to see how he does on a SB team.

Godslay

Banned
A player in a contract year is performing well? NO WAI

I'm assuming that it will be a reason why he performs well versus that of other years. Plus it's a bit of a different ship being ran here versus those other teams. I guess if that's too obvious and deserves a smart ass comment then so be it.

Comparing Brady stat padding to me talking about Stafford throwing basically the most pass attempts ever to wind up with 20 tds and 17 INT's lol and far less yards than other with way more attempts.

They are both stat padders with nothing to show for it so far. At least Stafford doesn't take himself too seriously and has a good time doing it. Plus he's still young so he might actually end up with a championship which Brady will never have.

Tom Penny

They are both stat padders with nothing to show for it so far. At least Stafford doesn't take himself too seriously and has a good time doing it. Plus he's still young so he might actually end up with a championship which Brady will never have.

I guess I'll have to settle for the Pats and Brady having 100+ more wins than losses together. Those are the breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom