• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Yeah, it's always going to be the "top" WR/QB/RB. Similar to how most people picked Luck/RG3 last year before the season (Luck obviously won, but Wilson didn't have any expectations and he turned out well).

Even within the fan base, I just don't know how much he can really do. A lot of it depends on Bradford of course, he NEEDS to finally step up. I think it may be him I don't really believe in honestly.

Agree on Bradford, but WRs going for a 1000 yards is pretty rare. And the hype on Austin is out of whack. He's going too high in fantasy football. Chris Givens is the WR1, not Austin.

I'm not really worried about Tavon. I hope either Stacy or Cunningham can step up and win the RB job. Richardson is fine but I can't see him as more than a change of pace guy

Jeff-DSA

8-8 would not be considered a huge success. Anything less than a playoff berth will be considered a failure. 8-8 may be a reasonable prediction but I'm sure the FO expects better.

Too many new and flashy pieces, not enough reliable and seasoned ones. I can see the team looking good by the end of the year, but I have real doubts about the OL and the offense's ability to mesh right away. Early losses will kill them and the schedule really never will allow them to get into a good groove.

I'd say that their chances of making the playoffs are 5% at best.

Seattle Seahawks: Tap Water

Nah, everybody knows they drink this:

100140683_ae86fd3ff0.jpg

Too many new and flashy pieces, not enough reliable and seasoned ones. I can see the team looking good by the end of the year, but I have real doubts about the OL and the offense's ability to mesh right away. Early losses will kill them and the schedule really never will allow them to get into a good groove.

I'd say that their chances of making the playoffs are 5% at best.
Reasonable concerns but after all the moves this offseason (along with the fact that Tannehill and Philbin have a year of experience with the team under their belts) the FO will expect more. You don't do all that moving and shaking to maintain the same mediocre record. I'm not saying they'll do better than 8-8 necessarily, just that the FO will not see 8-8 as a huge success.

5% is crazy, man. The team is very solid on d and improved in literally every aspect on that side of the ball. The d line in particular is downright scary. The offense has many more question marks but also has quite a bit of potential and new explosiveness on their side. I'm predicting that the Phins don't make the playoffs but I'd put their chances at 40%.

cdyhybrid

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...ez-seen-video-club-murder-victims-report-says

Police have obtained video that shows former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez at a Boston club at the same time as two men who were shot and killed hours later, according to a report by the Hartford Courant.

Daniel Abreu, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28, were killed in their car in Boston's South End on July 16, 2012. Police were searching for a gray SUV with Rhode Island plates in connection with the killings and found a car roughly matching that description while searching a Bristol, Conn., residence for evidence related to the murder of Odin Lloyd, which Hernandez is charged with.

The silver Toyota 4Runner with Rhode Island plates had been in the garage of Hernandez's uncle's home for approximately a year.

The Patriot Way™

Jeff-DSA

Reasonable concerns but after all the moves this offseason (along with the fact that Tannehill and Philbin have a year of experience with the team under their belts) the FO will expect more. You don't do all that moving and shaking to maintain the same mediocre record. I'm not saying they'll do better than 8-8 necessarily, just that the FO will not see 8-8 as a huge success.

5% is crazy, man. The team is very solid on d and improved in literally every aspect on that side of the ball. The d line in particular is downright scary. The offense has many more question marks but also has quite a bit of potential and new explosiveness on their side. I'm predicting that the Phins don't make the playoffs but I'd put their chances at 40%.

I'd love to be surprised and see the Phins back in the postseason. Nothing would make me happier. I just don't see it unless Tannehill really does make a real leap forward and he gets time to throw.

I'd love to be surprised and see the Phins back in the postseason. Nothing would make me happier. I just don't see it unless Tannehill really does make a real leap forward and he gets time to throw.
I hear ya man, and I respect you trying to stay realistic. I know the team has let us down many times in the past.

I think the keys will be the same old boring stuff: turnovers, red zone offense/defense, Tannehill's development, Lamar Miller, o-line, staying healthy, secondary, chemistry, etc. I just feel better about where the team is this year versus last, and they were a 7-9 team with a rookie QB and head coach that lost a lot of close games. The difference between a 7-9 team and a 10-6 team is typically not much.

I just... I just want to believe. :(

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
It had worked out pretty well for the Steelers the last few times that happened!

It's a new season.

cf540787a6e743d1fc004bb41240532a.jpg

mmmm baby

I realize as a lifelong Titan's fan that my love and admiration for the game has just turned into hating on a lot of teams. I shall now list them.

The fallen off:
Cowboys
- An easy place to go to hate, but misguided. There's no real history between TN and the boys, only a place for bitterness against media bias and all I ever hear is about them. In truth, I don't really hate them anymore.

Chargers
- A couple years ago, I hated the chargers. THE FISH could never figure out how to get a win and I was really tired of us losing to them. It's turned into nothing as the teams haven't really played anything substantial in a while and my hate bucket is only so deep, meaning it all gets placed to . .

The now-hate:
5. Colts
In all honesty, I don't really hate the colts. I was a huge Manning fan at UT and as much as it sucked to lose to them over and over, he was and is a joy to watch. What I do hate is Luck and the Locker V. Luck debate I've heard lambasted and the seething rage as I fight for cake schedules, anyone would look good with receivers that actually catch passes and a line that isn't filled with 3rd stringers (talkin' 2012 here). I'm tired of you already, Luck. It's going to be a long career.

4. Baltimore
For years, they stole all of my favorite players away. This of course goes more in line with my facepalming towards my own organization, but seriously, Derek Mason, you will always be my favorite receiver and you never should have left. McNair, you have no idea how much it hurt to see you in that jersey. Even Samarai Rolle . . I hate you Ravens.

3. Patriots
Is there really a need for this? There is a certain game that did not happen, that I will never acknowledge. A certain game that goes beyond my disgust of having to deal with Boston fan's in general. Just... hate.

2. Steelers
This one is more of me holding on to past grudges than anything else, also based on the fact that everyone everywhere is somehow a Steelers fan, regardless of where they're from or what city I'm in. Also, Hines Ward had the most punchable face on the planet, though he's not even there anymore. This one is probably a lot further down the line.

1. Texans
Yeah, I know. There would be no Titans without the city you're from. Regardless, for years now the Titan's get the petty bad-boy, dirty player rap (before the vanilla 2012 year of suck) and somehow the Texans get away scott free. You can have your Finny v. Andre (I'll fight that one to the death as a homer all day, but I digress), but what about your entire D-line of punks? Swinging a dudes helmet at his head, games filled with cheap shots that no one seems to care about, and even more cheap shots from the same dude. Maybe I actually just really hate Smith. Regardless, Tuck the Fexans. I hate you.

I must be really bored at work or just really excited for football.

cdyhybrid

1. Texans
Yeah, I know. There would be no Titans without the city you're from. Regardless, for years now the Titan's get the petty bad-boy, dirty player rap (before the vanilla 2012 year of suck) and somehow the Texans get away scott free. You can have your Finny v. Andre (I'll fight that one to the death as a homer all day, but I digress), but what about your entire D-line of punks? Swinging a dudes helmet at his head, games filled with cheap shots that no one seems to care about, and even more cheap shots from the same dude. Maybe I actually just really hate Smith. Regardless, Tuck the Fexans. I hate you.

They're buddying up with the Niners, this was inevitable.

It's a new season.

cf540787a6e743d1fc004bb41240532a.jpg

mmmm baby

I realize as a lifelong Titan's fan that my love and admiration for the game has just turned into hating on a lot of teams. I shall now list them.

The fallen off:
Cowboys
- An easy place to go to hate, but misguided. There's no real history between TN and the boys, only a place for bitterness against media bias and all I ever hear is about them. In truth, I don't really hate them anymore.

Chargers
- A couple years ago, I hated the chargers. THE FISH could never figure out how to get a win and I was really tired of us losing to them. It's turned into nothing as the teams haven't really played anything substantial in a while and my hate bucket is only so deep, meaning it all gets placed to . .

The now-hate:
5. Colts
In all honesty, I don't really hate the colts. I was a huge Manning fan at UT and as much as it sucked to lose to them over and over, he was and is a joy to watch. What I do hate is Luck and the Locker V. Luck debate I've heard lambasted and the seething rage as I fight for cake schedules, anyone would look good with receivers that actually catch passes and a line that isn't filled with 3rd stringers (talkin' 2012 here). I'm tired of you already, Luck. It's going to be a long career.

4. Baltimore
For years, they stole all of my favorite players away. This of course goes more in line with my facepalming towards my own organization, but seriously, Derek Mason, you will always be my favorite receiver and you never should have left. McNair, you have no idea how much it hurt to see you in that jersey. Even Samarai Rolle . . I hate you Ravens.

3. Patriots
Is there really a need for this? There is a certain game that did not happen, that I will never acknowledge. A certain game that goes beyond my disgust of having to deal with Boston fan's in general. Just... hate.

2. Steelers
This one is more of me holding on to past grudges than anything else, also based on the fact that everyone everywhere is somehow a Steelers fan, regardless of where they're from or what city I'm in. Also, Hines Ward had the most punchable face on the planet, though he's not even there anymore. This one is probably a lot further down the line.

1. Texans

Very respectable list, my friend, although I must admit I'm a big fan of Luck. I think your bit about the Texans in particular is pretty spot on, although I don't really hate them myself. Smith is a big whiny baby that can't handle a taste of his own medicine.

Also, Phillip Rivers has the most punchable face in the NFL, although I see where you're coming from on Hines.

Jeff-DSA

They're buddying up with the Niners, this was inevitable.

As a Phins fan, I have to hate the Texans as well. The Keller injury really irks me. But yes, they do manage to keep a squeaky clean image despite the mounting number of "incidents" on the field.

Edit: Aren't the Texans like the only team in the NFL that the Dolphins have never beat?

this_guy

It's nice that the Texans are good enough to get hated on nowadays. Feels nice.

The hit to Keller sucks, but there was nothing dirty about it.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Very respectable list, my friend, although I must admit I'm a big fan of Luck. I think your bit about the Texans in particular is pretty spot on, although I don't really hate them myself. Smith is a big whiny baby that can't handle a taste of his own medicine.

Also, Phillip Rivers has the most punchable face in the NFL, although I see where you're coming from on Hines.

Cutler takes a close third, but he's a Vandy boy so it's hard for me to hate too much.

As a Phins fan, I have to hate the Texans as well. The Keller injury really irks me. But yes, they do manage to keep a squeaky clean image despite the mounting number of "incidents" on the field.

I really don't understand it, honestly. Anywhere else and it's all bad-boys and terrible people. I mean, Hanesworth should and did get a punk and just a terrible person reputation for stomping a dudes head. Absolutely deserves it. Things keep popping up with the Texans and . . nothing. It's interesting to watch at least.

Wes

venison crêpe
This has probably already been talked about but where's the link to our pick em league?

This is my year...

MechDX

It's a new season.

1. Texans

Blame it on your piece of shit owner and the ever high class Jeff Fisher. I like how you just casually forget fatass Haynesworth and his high class self. I personally have no issues with the cousin dating hicks from Tennessee, it is more an issue with your owner but you inherit the complete contempt because of him.

I really don't understand it, honestly. Anywhere else and it's all bad-boys and terrible people. I mean, Hanesworth should and did get a punk and just a terrible person reputation for stomping a dudes head. Absolutely deserves it. Things keep popping up with the Texans and . . nothing. It's interesting to watch at least.

Maybe because the Titans and Dolphins rather blame everyone else than admit their teams are classless? Either that or dat McNair money!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Blame it on your piece of shit owner and the ever high class Jeff Fisher. I like how you just casually forget fatass Haynesworth and his high class self. I personally have no issues with the cousin dating hicks from Tennessee, it is more an issue with your owner but you inherit the complete contempt because of him.

Maybe because the Titans and Dolphins rather blame everyone else than admit their teams are classless? Either that or dat McNair money!

Nah, I mentioned Haynesworth in the next post down because and he deserves his terrible reputation. But he hasn't been on the team in almost 5 years while Smith is currently playing, so it's easy to see why I didn't draw the comparison. Going straight to the "cousin dating hicks" is also very, very classy of you since that's clearly how Tennesse and the Titan's home town of Nashville actually operate. Really don't a lot for those inter-AFC South relations.

On Fisher, I respect him and wish him well for sure, but he's a .500 coach who has never evolved. Obviously, I wouldn't enjoy seeing him win a super bowl in St. Louis, but I can't really hate on it. He can have fun with over paying Cook for his circus catches though.

And no one likes Adams. We can all agree there. Way too handsy, way too meandering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom