• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think the rain and gloom gives the city a certain character or charm. The truly shitty part is April/May/June, where it's sunny for one day a month to tease you with summer and then 55 and raining the rest of the time.
Joking aside, there are a fair share of summery days in the Seattle area. It just doesn't get quite as hot or humid as it does elsewhere, even heat waves are toned down a bit.

Fuck summers on the east coast.

And this thread is moving even faster

8/31 4:15 am to 9/3 8:02 pm to hit 1650

vs this years thread

9-2 10:04 pm to 9-4 7:29 pm

tumblr_mao7aeoGXC1qmirjn.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Prediction time:

AFC
East - NE, Mia, Buf, NYJ - Cake walk division #1
North - Cin, Pit, Bal, Cle
South - Hou, Ind, Ten, Gata
West - Den, KC, SD, Oak - Cake walk division #2

NFC
East - Dal, Was, Phi, NYG - Let the drumming begin for Coughlin's head
North - GB, Chi, Min, Det
South - NO, Atl, Car, TB
West - SF, Sea, StL, Az

SB
Pit def SF

Eleuin

Isn't it pretty gloomy in the Bay during winter? Obviously not to the extent of the NW, but you would at least be ready for it :p

I think the rain and gloom gives the city a certain character or charm. The truly shitty part is April/May/June, where it's sunny for one day a month to tease you with summer and then 55 and raining the rest of the time.
Sounds awesome

squicken

Prediction time:

AFC

NFC
South - NO, Atl, Car, TB
West - SF, Sea, StL, Az

SB
Pit def SF

Really tempted to pick Dallas as well, but it just seems like a 9-7 Giants up and down season where it's good enough. Dallas does get to avoid SF and SEA, so they sort of start off in better shape

There's just no way both SF and SEA don't both make the playoffs unless there are injuries

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's just no way both SF and SEA don't both make the playoffs unless there are injuries
There's been a rash of injuries in Seattle, but nothing too bad going forward.

Brandon Browner saw limited participation in practice today, but our CB core is deep as hell.

methodman

Banned
alex smith is gonna lead the chiefs to the playoffs!

and give the niners their conditional 2nd round pick in 2014 depending on if the chiefs win 8 games

Prediction time:

AFC

NFC
South - NO, Atl, Car, TB
West - SF, Sea, StL, Az

SB
Pit def SF

I can see everything happening except for Green Bay winning the division. I don't see them taking it it this year or making it to the playoffs. NFC is crowded right now and I think a team like SEA/SF/NO/ATL will squeeze them out, even with a winning record.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can see everything happening except for Green Bay winning the division. I don't see them taking it it this year or making it to the playoffs. NFC is crowded right now and I think a team like SEA/SF/NO/ATL will squeeze them out, even with a winning record.

Green Bay would be the only division winner I'd consider even close to being a sure thing this year. That division is terrible.

jakncoke

Banned

Who going to win the division if not the Packers?

Really tempted to pick Dallas as well, but it just seems like a 9-7 Giants up and down season where it's good enough. Dallas does get to avoid SF and SEA, so they sort of start off in better shape

Pretty much everyone we added to our defensive line got injured not counting Clemons still is from this shit field in Washington and Irvin is suspended.

squicken

Green Bay would be the only division winner I'd consider even close to being a sure thing this year. That division is terrible.

Patriots and Donks are bigger locks, but GB isn't far behind. NFCS is most unknown. Could have 4 teams 9-7 to 7-9

Pretty much everyone we added to our defensive line got injured not counting Clemons still is from this shit field in Washington and Irvin is suspended.

You guys didn't have a pass rush at the end of last year. As long as you can cover you'll be fine on defense (unless the NFL gets serious about defensive holding and illegal contact)

MechDX

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/04/jj-watt-unplugged/?sct=nfl_bf2_a3

Playing two snaps in the preseason

“The coaches had a plan and it’s just making me hungrier and hungrier for September 9th. I’m extremely hungry. [His voice goes an octave or two lower. He speaks deliberately.] I’m like an animal in a cage that you haven’t given food to in a while. As soon as you let me out, something is getting eaten.”

Bye Philip. :(

Turnstile

Made it to Denver and about to jump on the train for the Rockies game.
Tired but excited.

Seeing the Ravens stuff on Mile High in person makes the shenanigans even more strange..

Very excited for tomorrow night!

Chicago and Detroit have the ability to take the division. The biggest problem with both of their teams is the QB's like to throw to the wrong colored jerseys. Green Bay is definitely not a lock for their division. I can see them going 9-7 this year. Remember, Minnesota wasn't too far behind them last season, and that is probably the weakest team in the division right now (even though AP is otherworldly).

Eleuin

Am I in the minority when I say the Falcons are paper tigers?

squicken

They and the Colts are everyone's "most likely to regress" teams

Mike Tanier's NFCS Preview

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/59430332/

Atlanta Falcons

In a tweet: Trying to relive the magic of 2010-2012. Yes, that was magic. No, you cannot relive it.

What's New: The Falcons took the one-for-one replacement approach as they shed veteran stars in the offseason. John Abraham is leaving? Get Osi Umenyiora, a similar pass rusher in his twilight years. Michael Turner is all used up? Steven Jackson still has some toothpaste in the tube. Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes are gone at cornerback? Get as many of the Trufant brothers as are available, even if it's only the rookie, Desmond Trufant!

What's Old: Tony Gonzalez is retiring? Beg him to stay!

Football Outsiders Stat: Opponents broke 92 tackles against the Falcons, the second highest total in the NFL. (The Eagles were worse, with 97 broken tackles.) Broken tackles became a huge problem for the Falcons in the playoffs, and the situation won't get any better this season. Trufant is a whiz at coverage, but he was a soft tackler in college. At least Asante Samuel is on the other side of the field to show him how it's done. Wait, no! That's a bad thing!

Best-Case Scenario: Jackson and Umenyiora, both younger than the guys they replaced, provide a modest upgrade. The defense learns to tackle and starts actually appearing on the television screen on downfield receptions during playoff games. The Falcons take the final step, which has looked like a sheer cliff face for so long.

Worst-Case Scenario: The Falcons are picked away at by a dozen factors: a stronger division, age at key positions, a rebuilt offensive line and plain-old regression to the mean.

Bottom Line: Many of the little indicators that Football Outsiders and other statistical analysts use to project performance are pointing downward for the Falcons. But you don't have to comb spreadsheets to see warning signs. The Falcons won a lot of close games and beat some bad opponents last year. They have not gotten appreciably better, but all three division opponents have, and the schedule is backloaded with the Seahawks, Packers (in Green Bay in December), Redskins, and 49ers (in San Francisco). The Falcons could play as well as they did last year and get very different results. Staying in the NFC chase for the long haul will require more than spackle repairs: the Falcons need to get better, on defense and elsewhere, and they may need to get worse for a year to make that happen.

Prediction: 8-8

Probably. I don't think they are a lock to win their division like most people seem to. I think the Saints are going to go on a vindictive warpath after last season and reassert themselves into the NFC conversation, ultimately winning the NFC South. Still see the Falcons vying for a wild card spot, and I ultimately think they'll be good enough to beat out other teams.

Washington, I believe, is going to regress hard this year.

Godslay

Banned
Made it to Denver and about to jump on the train for the Rockies game.
Tired but excited.

Seeing the Ravens stuff on Mile High in person makes the shenanigans even more strange..

Very excited for tomorrow night!

Nice drink one for me again! Makes me miss drunken trips to the Rockpile.

Dude, let's not compare teams helmed by John Elway to those helmed by Christopher Chandelier and Jake "Bojangles" Delhomme.

Missed this post earlier.

Why not? I always hear that the Minnesota team would have rolled the Broncos that year, and Atlanta beat them, so logic applies that Atlanta should have had a shot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As a Bucs fan...I feel like with all of the negative talk and mocking about the Jets and their qiuarterback situation (not undeservedly so), that Geno Smith is going to come out on Sunday and beat the ever-loving shit out of us. That's just how things often seem to work out.

I think its amazing how everybody here thinks the Bucs are going to roll over the Jets.

Bucs suck.

overcast

Agree on Bradford, but WRs going for a 1000 yards is pretty rare. And the hype on Austin is out of whack. He's going too high in fantasy football. Chris Givens is the WR1, not Austin.

I'm not really worried about Tavon. I hope either Stacy or Cunningham can step up and win the RB job. Richardson is fine but I can't see him as more than a change of pace guy
Agreed. If Givens steps up (I think we'll see improvement), then Austin can work really well as a number 2. Hopefully Kendricks and Cook deliver. I think Bradford has some solid weapons. This team needs to fucking score though, I've had enough of low scoring.

I like what I've seen from Stacy, thought it was Richardson's job to lose though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom