• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

The only good thing about this Thursday game is it's the first one of the season. But yeah I don't know many football fans that need a game on Thursdays.
I gots other shit to do and Thursday Football gets in the way!

The NFL must be getting paid by some divorce lawyers association who came up with the idea. I get enough shit as it is explaining to my wife that we can't go anywhere or do anything for 18+ Sundays a year.

MechDX

Schaubnado.png

MVP !MVP! MVP!

eznark

Banned
Oh did they add an extra game? I always thought they just moved a game from Sunday to Thursday because the NFL wanted people to watch NFL Network.

The great thing is they moved what are generally lame-ass matchups that would be lost in the shuffle of a dozen games on Sunday to it's own time slot so you can focus on it. Instead of missing out on watching those shitty teams play because there are better options to focus on, you get to watch it all on its own.

Now, if they had removed an entire time slot in order to accommodate it, then I would be annoyed.

Riley Cooper and Cary Williams got into a scuffle at practice:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...-Cary-Williams-get-into-practice-scuffle.html

Riley Cooper and Cary Williams got into a scuffle at practice that required several players, including Michael Vick, to step in and separate the two. Williams had to be forceably pulled away. The Eagles corneback then walked to a separate field and strolled up and down by himself. Cooper looked visibly distraught and stayed out of one-on-one drills that involved receivers and defensive backs until DeSean Jackson came over to him. Jackson eventually walked over to Williams and had a conversation.

Fox318

Tebow, Hernandez, and Cooper should all play in a prison league.

Tebow should have a chance to finally get laid and start there.

Colasante

Warren Sapp: "The second year won't be a sophomore slump for Ryan Tannehill. He will break Dan Marino's (mark) of 5,084 yards. That's right ... he's gonna break it. Ryan Tannehill loves to throw it around the yard. Quarterback-driven league. Watch it."

Tannehill threw for 3,294 yards in 2012.

Why is Warren Sapp paid for this? Why?

My predictions ofor the Cowboys this year.

Start 4-0
Romo then Romo's away a game.
Garrett freaks out about not being allowed to calls plays anymore.
Monte Kiffin dies during a meeting and no one notices for 3 more weeks.
Dez goes full amorix on his mom and winds up in jail.
Jerry Jones proclaims that the GM did a great job of assembling talent but the players let him down.
Romo plays great in the last 3 meaningless games and Jerry extends him an extra 2 years.

The great thing is they moved what are generally lame-ass matchups that would be lost in the shuffle of a dozen games on Sunday to it's own time slot so you can focus on it. Instead of missing out on watching those shitty teams play because there are better options to focus on, you get to watch it all on its own.

Now, if they had removed an entire time slot in order to accommodate it, then I would be annoyed.

Only thing I don't like about TNF (well, now that the commentating has improved. Remember Theissman? Ugh) is that the games are usually the games the other networks don't want. Divisional matchups with two teams that are going nowhere - powerhouse teams vs. chopped meat of the week or two just plain awful squads. When two good teams play against each other - it's often sloppy football due to the short week.

Warren Sapp: "The second year won't be a sophomore slump for Ryan Tannehill. He will break Dan Marino's (mark) of 5,084 yards. That's right ... he's gonna break it. Ryan Tannehill loves to throw it around the yard. Quarterback-driven league. Watch it."

Wasn't that part of the segment where they all make stupid predictions that are highly unlikely? I agree with you in that it's insane of course, but you have to consider the context to some degree.

Believe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Did you know that Cameron Wake has led the league in holding penalties caused for the past two seasons? Offenses have given up on trying to stop him so they just hold him all game and hope the refs only notice once in awhile.

In 2011 he drew more holding calls on pass plays (8) than anyone else on pass and run plays combined.

Mitchell Schwartz got this?

Oh dear god and Oniel Cousins is the right guard...eff!

Gonna be a tough year for that racist.

Jeff-DSA

It would be the greatest thing ever.

Yeah, the short week leads to some pretty horrendous football being played on TNF. Not really a fan of the Thursday games. They're not fun to watch, and they lower the overall quality of the sport with their shittiness.

Getting excited for a TNF game is like getting excited about bad preseason football. Except that your team's bad TNF performance night keep them from making the playoffs!

e: I should add a note of frustration since they could fix this by giving every team a second bye (which would be before the TNF game) and extending the season to 18 weeks. But they don't because Goodell still has a boner for the 18-game season (and the extra bye week is valuable leverage).

So yeah, I caught some NFL network coverage during lunch and Michael Irvin stated Dez Bryant will be MVP this season. Ah, the life of an NFL 'analyst'

eznark

Banned
Only thing I don't like about TNF (well, now that the commentating has improved. Remember Theissman? Ugh) is that the games are usually the games the other networks don't want. Divisional matchups with two teams that are going nowhere - powerhouse teams vs. chopped meat of the week or two just plain awful squads. When two good teams play against each other - it's often sloppy football due to the short week.

That doesn't bother me because then those games aren't taking up screen time for me on Sunday.

effzee

I wouldn't read into this as retaliation for his comments. This is more Cary Williams being Cary Williams. Remember he shoved a ref in the SB? He also got into it with some Pats players during the joint team practices.

Dude can't cover but he loves to talk and hit. I'll take it for now. Just hope he doesn't draw personal fouls and cost the team. Otherwise I love his toughness and attitude.

Also Vick and DJAX showing that team leadership.

TNF is fine now that Time Warner finally included it in my package. Last year they asked me to upgrade to some sports package which included 15 sports channels I would never watch (college sports, MMA, and soccer) just to get redzone and NFLN. I threatened to drop them so they included NFLN to my current plan for free.

Only real problem is I work until 9pm on Thursdays so I always miss the beginning.

Good point.

Oh did they add an extra game? I always thought they just moved a game from Sunday to Thursday because the NFL wanted people to watch NFL Network.
If you don't have sunday ticket or something it is another national game you get on your regular cable plan.

Dragon

Banned
If you don't have sunday ticket or something it is another national game you get on your regular cable plan.

I don't have cable so fuck the NFL Network. You don't have to pay extra to get NFL Network? You can get it with basic cable now? I know there were problems initially with cable companies not having it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm excited for Bills vs Browns.

Browns might be the favorites in that game.

Ah yes what I affectionately call the Shitbowl. It's become an annual tradition that the Browns and Bills play each other pretty much every year since I became a fan.

Every year I go by my buddy's place and his girlfriend (soon to be wife) makes us chili and nachos while we watch our teams be terrible. Such good times.

Who can forget such classic Shitbowl moments as Brady Quinn's first NFL start and him absolutely destroying the Bills.

Or the heroic 6-3 Browns victory where the Bills punt returner fumbled the ball on his own 30 yard line with about 2 minutes left in the game.

Truly inspirational to us all.

I'm just glad that this year's Shitbowl will be viewed by all of us.

I don't have cable so fuck the NFL Network. You don't have to pay extra to get NFL Network? You can get it with basic cable now? I know there were problems initially with cable companies not having it.
I have cable (Charter) and I don't get NFLN. Only way to get it is to upgrade to that ridiculous sports package like effzee was talking about. Screw that.

Speaking of this topic, can I watch TNF games through Sunday Ticket?

Mr Wake better bring it!
The best thing is the line is improved from last season when they were already great. Dion Jordan isn't even a starter, for crying out loud. I really hope they deliver because to me that is the biggest strength of the team. You don't want to have to rely on the secondary to cover guys for extended periods of time.

MechDX

Ah yes what I affectionately call the Shitbowl. It's become an annual tradition that the Browns and Bills play each other pretty much every year since I became a fan.

Every year I go by my buddy's place and his girlfriend (soon to be wife) makes us chili and nachos while we watch our teams be terrible. Such good times.

Who can forget such classic Shitbowl moments as Brady Quinn's first NFL start and him absolutely destroying the Bills.

Or the heroic 6-3 Browns victory where the Bills punt returner fumbled the ball on his own 30 yard line with about 2 minutes left in the game.

Thank you Kave I am now depressed.

I meant with a regular Directv plan. Im pretty sure I dont pay any extra for NFL/MLB/NHL network.

I'm hyped.

Weeden VS Manuel

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Jabaal Sheard is setting his personal goal to be 20 sacks this season...

Get to double digits and I'll consider it a win. He's had 7.5 and 8.5 his two seasons so I can imagine him maybe getting 10-12..but 20?

C'mon man!

Prove me wrong though, I'll gladly eat crow for doubting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom