• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I honestly forget what Browns fans were like when the Browns were good.

Be interesting to see how you guys handle winning whenever it happens.

The Browns were good?

In other news it looks unlikely that I'll be here to live commentate the game on Sunday. My baseball team sucks ass yet despite that we still get one more shot to make it into the playoffs.

We have to play a whole day single elimination tournament. If I'm lucky we lose first round and I'm home in time, but that is unlikely so I expect to at least be playing through the early games. :(

I think I might PVR the game just so I can see my Browns in action.

bionic77

The Browns were good?

In other news it looks unlikely that I'll be here to live commentate the game on Sunday. My baseball team sucks ass yet despite that we still get one more shot to make it into the playoffs.

We have to play a whole day single elimination tournament. If I'm lucky we lose first round and I'm home in time, but that is unlikely so I expect to at least be playing through the early games. :(

I think I might PVR the game just so I can see my Browns in action.
Before Modell stole the franchise they had some decent teams.

LevelNth

Banned
I am definitely the most un-politically correct you can get, but I swear I just do not understand the levels of retardation infecting youth nowadays.

I see today that there is a big stink up here in Canada about a group of Uni students in Nova Scotia and their chant during Frosh week. I was super curious on just how bad it could be, and I'm paraphrasing here:

SMU boys we like em young
Y is for your sister
O is for oh so tight
U is for underage
N is for no consent
G is for grab that ass

Tell jokes and chant about sex as much as you want... but really? We're on to specially pointing out rape of minors now?

I just don't even get it? Do they think its funny, or clever? Are joke chants a thing?

Sure. The problem is that the trades by themselves are all usually really good in terms of what the Patriots gain. The only problem is all those picks they acquire are made by Belichick so it's pointless.

The Patriots are the epitome of the Kiper ESPN drafting philosophy. People jizz their pants about Belichick getting two 1st round picks in one year but nobody says anything when both bust out of the league.

MechDX

Hey NFL-GAF bros, I got laid off today. It's more time to watch football!

Sucks. I know that feel.

I think I finally got a job after being fired in July. Just waiting on background check. I never actually "acted" when I was stalking Schaub so I should be ok

Colasante

Belichick is terrible at drafting defensive backs and wide receivers. That doesn't mean he's a terrible GM. He's good at drafting at other positions, especially on the offensive line. Meanwhile, Ted Thompson is not great at drafting along the offensive line but tends to nail wide receiver and defensive back picks. Part of this can be blamed on bad scouting, or perhaps on bad coaching, or perhaps on simply bad players who don't perform up to the level they should. It's not a huge deal, there isn't a GM in the league that hits on every position they draft.

Fox318

He was probably too focused on his political career.

He would have run this planet into the ground. There would have been Cristo Redentor look alike statues all over the planet of himself and an alligator.

He would hire Cooper to the Secretary of Labor and Hernandez as a UN diplomat.

SUPREME1

Banned
Julius Thomas, Denver's starting TE, arrested on warrant for failure to appear.

Just earned the starting spot too, smh. Was looking promising this pre-season.

Edit: happened last week. Nvm. Everything is cool.

JCizzle

I see that Harbs is justifiably concerned over cheap shots from GB due to the tough guy talk from the GB defense that feels the need to redeem its manhood. One hopes they either play honorably or risk a shot to ARod's knee from one of the Smith bros :-(

Belichick is terrible at drafting defensive backs and wide receivers. That doesn't mean he's a terrible GM. He's good at drafting at other positions, especially on the offensive line. Meanwhile, Ted Thompson is not great at drafting along the offensive line but tends to nail wide receiver and defensive back picks. Part of this can be blamed on bad scouting, or perhaps on bad coaching, or perhaps on simply bad players who don't perform up to the level they should. It's not a huge deal, there isn't a GM in the league that hits on every position they draft.

Who was the last impact pass rusher Belichick drafted? I don't mean guys with potential, I mean impact starters.

Not trying to put you on the spot i'm just genuinely curious.

Greg

That sucks, man. Hope you feel better.
Thanks. Hopefully it's just a 24-hour thing.

Ill be at work when the game starts....ill get to try out the Sunday Ticket though. Hopefully ill be off Sunday to see all the games and post here :)
Trying to watch at work is the worst.

Sorry man. Time to focus on important things like the shirtless league!

MechDX

Julius Thomas, Denver's starting TE, arrested on warrant for failure to appear.

Just earned the starting spot too, smh. Was looking promising this pre-season.

Edit: happened last week. Nvm. Everything is cool.

Elway needs to buy his players a scheduling calendar

I see that Harbs is justifiably concerned over cheap shots from GB due to the tough guy talk from the GB defense that feels the need to redeem its manhood. One hopes they either play honorably or risk a shot to ARod's knee from one of the Smith bros :-(

I don't think Harbaugh needs to worry about Green Bay's defense tackling anybody.

Colasante

Who was the last impact pass rusher Belichick drafted? I don't mean guys with potential, I mean impact starters.

Chandler Jones. It's a fair point that they haven't drafted impact pass rushers, but that's because last year was the first in which Belichick emphasized stopping the pass over stopping the run. Prior to last year, he would have never drafted someone like Jones, instead focusing on runstoppers like Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick.

eznark

Banned

This lengths people go to convince themselves that their chosen leader isn't in actuality a whiny pussy bitch.

Just like his girlfriend, invisible. He hurt his foot in the first preseason game, hasn't played since. Just started doing individual drills again yesterday.
Sounds vaguely familiar, no wonder I forgot about him.
SONY fanboys cant handle anything positive about the Xbox One can they....geez. Glad I like games and can grab both consoles. Feel sorry for the poors who cant; then feel the need to defend the company that doesn't give 2 shits about them once they bought the product.
Yeah it's pretty pathetic. Just a bunch of poors, pay them no mind.

Shit that sucks man, my condolences. I hope you find something quick, buddy.

Bowser

Panthers team captains announced:

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 57m
Jordan Gross, Steve Smith, Thomas Davis, Ryan Kalil, Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly are your 2013 #Panthers captains! #KeepPounding

squicken

Cam Newton has earned the Captain's jersey in Carolina. Good for him

Cam Newton, at long last, wears the "C."

Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera announced before Thursday's practice that the quarterback is one of six captains for the 2013, as voted on by teammates.

Newton joins a group that includes linebacker Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, wide receiver Steve Smith, left tackle Jordan Gross and center Ryan Kalil.

edit: beaten!

Chandler Jones. It's a fair point that they haven't drafted impact pass rushers, but that's because last year was the first in which Belichick emphasized stopping the pass over stopping the run. Prior to last year, he would have never drafted someone like Jones, instead focusing on runstoppers like Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick.
So he drafts DB's and WR's poorly, and doesn't draft pass rushers..what is he good at besides the o-line?

I get the run stopping, but again, shy of Wilfork (who was drafted almost 10 years ago) the Pats are just a bunch of guys up front. That doesn't help the argument that he's a good drafting GM.

As for Jones, fine it was his rookie season, but he had 6 sacks. I wouldn't call that an impact player. Potential i'll give you.

Milchjon

So he drafts DB's and WR's poorly, and doesn't draft pass rushers..what is he good at besides the o-line?

I get the run stopping, but again, shy of Wilfork the Pats are just a bunch of guys up front. That doesn't help the argument that he's a good drafting GM.

As for Jones, fine it was his rookie season, but he had 6 sacks. I wouldn't call that an impact player. Potential i'll give you.

He got injured and wasn't really the same afterwards.

jbug617

Banned

Chandler Jones has potential.

Defensive Lineman who Bill drafted who made an impact, I would say Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. For Seymour and Warren, Bill made the right choice. Wilfork was a steal for the Pats at #21.

Jesus, Jim Harbaugh loves creating drama on and off the field. Him complaining about the comments that were made are no different than the embarrassing antics he displays on the sidelines when things don't go his way. Can't stand him.

Colasante

I get the run stopping, but again, shy of Wilfork the Pats are just a bunch of guys up front. That doesn't help the argument that he's a good drafting GM.

He excels at drafting offensive linemen, linebackers, and tight ends, and is good at drafting running backs. He's also excellent at finding late round values (Dennard, Deaderick, Edelman) and UDFAs like Green-Ellis, Ryan Wendell, and now potentially Thompkins and Sudfeld. I'm not saying he's the best GM in the league certainly, probably not even in the top 5, but I think people overemphasize how bad he is at drafting DBs and WRs.

You won't get any argument from me about the defensive line. It took him far too long to break his mold and draft someone like Jones, but I still think drafting Deaderick in the 7th, bringing in Kyle Love and Mike Wright as an UDFA, and turning Rob Ninkovich from a longsnapper into an 8 sack DE/LB demonstrates good value along the defensive line, even if none were impact players. And Jones had 6 sacks in his first 8 games and was the frontrunner for DROY before suffering an ankle injury and gimping his way through the last couple of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom