• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Dammit Pollard. I don't know how you won me over, but you did.

Bernard Pollard said:
Pollard has been trying to make sure his new teammates understand what they face Sunday in Pittsburgh. A physical game, hostile crowd and the need to build to just the right moment at kickoff. He said now it’s time for the Titans to show their fans and themselves that they can play good football.

“Nashville, the state of Tennessee has been yearning for a team to win, and I think this year is the time,” Pollard said.

And were these posted? GOT inspired NFL wallpapers. Coooooool.

Bowser

This Pete Schrager is enlightening:

6. Cam Newton will be the best young quarterback in football: Take your Andrew Luck. Have your Russell Wilson. Enjoy your GQ cover boys Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III. I’m rolling with Cam. With the Panthers out of the playoff hunt after a 2-8 start, Newton caught fire, throwing 15 touchdowns to 1 interception, and finishing the year with five wins in the team’s last six games. He spent the offseason doing and saying the right things. He led by example and stayed away from the limelight. He matured. Year 3 is always the biggest test. That’s where we’re at now. The Carolina defense is much better in 2013 than it was in the past two years, and the weapons on offense are there. Go nuts over your other young quarterbacks. I’m all in on Newton.

Seattle at Carolina: Give me Cam. Get aboard, folks. Do it now before it’s all hot and stuffy, and there’s no room for your overhead baggage and you’re sitting there with a giant iced coffee in your hand and three bags and nowhere to put them and you’re furious because the cab driver took the wrong way to the train station and … well, yeah. You get it. The Pick: Panthers 28, Seahawks 23

ZDyU4.gif

MechDX

I really do like the Texans' chances this year. Obviously there's no telling what will happen in the playoffs but you can almost always rest assured the favorite won't win and the winner will at least be someone who is on the radar. The Texans fit the mold and they are just a solid team. I think they pull it off this season.

2lmlxme.gif

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 2m
BREAKING: Kubiak names @TJ_Yates backup to Matt Schaub at QB. @DoughertyDrew with more http://bit.ly/1fCtqJF

TJ! TJ! TJ!

Fantomex

Der Der Der, Trent Truck, Gawrsh, I'm down for repairs every 2 weeks, der der. Suck it Kave, you degenerate, flea infested, let the whole Cleveland Browns piss on you stupid Cat.

]
IY5OktY.jpg

That sucks bro.

Get on that dole ASAP and piss on eznark!

Sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that, brother!

Good luck with the job hunt! We believe in you. #OneLove #Shirtless

Sorry bro, hope you find a new job soon.

Sucks. I know that feel.

I think I finally got a job after being fired in July. Just waiting on background check. I never actually "acted" when I was stalking Schaub so I should be ok

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry man. Time to focus on important things like the shirtless league!

Shit that sucks man, my condolences. I hope you find something quick, buddy.

Sorry man, sucks to hear that. Hopefully you'll find a new and better job soon.

sorry to hear that. I was let go a year ago a week from now. It gets better.
What's your field if you don't mind me asking?

sorry to hear that bro

Sorry man! Hope things work out. Have a beer, watch the game and worry about it tomorrow!

Thanks bros. captive, I'm a software developer. My company is doing another round of layoffs after doing one earlier in the year. We all thought it was done already. Shitty part is that I just got home from PAX yesterday, and today was my first day back in the office.

squicken

The New NFL Powers

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/59541130

nfc_west_previews_g17ltalf.jpg

Just three seasons ago, all four NFC West teams finished below .500. The Seahawks beat the Rams for a dubious division title with a 7-9 record thanks to having the least-worst tiebreakers. The NFC West was not just the weakest division in the NFL, but the weakest division in North American team sports.

Now, it's the toughest division in the NFL and one of the most competitive in all of sports. Franchise architects like John Schneider, Trent Baalke and Les Snead worked hand-in-glove with motivator-strategist coaches Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher to build forward-thinking organizations with talented rosters and innovative schemes. The Seahawks and 49ers represent the NFL's cutting edge, and the Rams are rebuilding after a half-decade of mismanagement. The Cardinals … have adorable red birdies on their helmets.

Pretty sure Bolty McDouchebag predicted the Ravens winning and Flaccos reign of terror from day one.

Also pretty sure that no other Ravens fans were onboard.
I thought this article I stumbled upon the other day was kind of interesting:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/artic...-odds-tell-us-about-the-eventual-winners.aspx

If you look at the preseason SB favorites from the past 6 years you'll notice that none of them won the big game:

sb1.png

Now, if you look at the teams that did win you'll see that they were always in the top half but usually not one of the top few:

sb2.png

Okay, so with that knowledge in mind, here are the odds for this season:

sb3.png

So recent history suggests the SB winner will be one of these teams:

Green Bay Packers 12/1
Atlanta Falcons 14/1
Houston Texans 18/1
New Orleans Saints 20/1
Chicago Bears 25/1
New York Giants 25/1
Washington Redskins 25/1
Dallas Cowboys 25/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 30/1
Cincinnati Bengals 30/1

It's over-analysis, there's no doubt about it, but it at least tells me that the SB winner is very rarely one of the "safe" picks before the season gets going, at least with regards to recent history. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Broncos aren't winning it all this season, just that recent history doesn't necessarily support that being the safest bet.

Also, it should be mentioned that the Patriots were pretty darn close one of those years and without Brady during another.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thanks bros. captive, I'm a software developer. My company is doing another round of layoffs after doing one earlier in the year. We all thought it was done already. Shitty part is that I just got home from PAX yesterday, and today was my first day back in the office.

geez dude. That sounds eerily similar to me. I was let go the first day back from a week vacation. Good luck getting back in your feet.

LOL:

5. The Chip Kelly Experiment is an overwhelming … success: I covered the Eagles’ first two preseason games and must say that it felt like a regular season atmosphere in Philadelphia. The fans are as invested, curious and excited as they seemingly ever were in the Andy Reid era, and the offense delivered. The defense? It was atrocious Week 1 vs. the Patriots, better Week 2 vs. the Panthers, and just fair against the Jaguars in Week 3. Either way, the entire team has bought in. There’s energy, enthusiasm and a belief that this team could be one to worry about. The Eagles are going to be dangerous team, the offense is going to be unpredictable and nasty and the wins will be there. Philadelphia’s been slated by most to win 5-7 games with this year serving as a “transitional” one. Garbage. Put 'em down for 8 or 9 and in the thick of the NFC playoff race.

He also picks the Cowboys to win the East and the Skins to finish last. He is clearly just throwing nonsense out and hoping something sticks so he can say "look how smart I am".

Rewatching Steelers/Bungholes from last year. It's just as frustrating watching Wallace drop those passes a year later. 3 drops already and the 1st quarter isn't over.

MechDX

LOL:

He also picks the Cowboys to win the East and the Skins to finish last. He is clearly just throwing nonsense out and hoping something sticks so he can say "look how smart I am".

Think about it for a second: It is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. All the teams in the NFC East are about the same talent wise and the Eagles will be playing with enthusiasm and optimism. Don't count out the Eagles, just look at the Colts last year. Their talent was no where near what their record was but they played with motivation.

Think about it for a second. It is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. All the teams in the NFC East are about the same talent wise and the Eagles will be playing with enthusiasm and optimism. Don't count out the Eagles, just look at the Colts last year.

their talent was no where near what their record was but they played with motivation.

I just cant see it. The transition to 3-4 is going to be rough. I have no faith in Billy Davis as DC, no Maclin is a major loss, no reason to believe Vick will make it through the year, no backup QB for when he gets hurt. I do hope they show improvement, but they need to do bad and get a high pick next year. There are so many holes, starting with QB.

Seanspeed

Banned
LOL:

5. The Chip Kelly Experiment is an overwhelming … success: I covered the Eagles’ first two preseason games and must say that it felt like a regular season atmosphere in Philadelphia. The fans are as invested, curious and excited as they seemingly ever were in the Andy Reid era, and the offense delivered. The defense? It was atrocious Week 1 vs. the Patriots, better Week 2 vs. the Panthers, and just fair against the Jaguars in Week 3. Either way, the entire team has bought in. There’s energy, enthusiasm and a belief that this team could be one to worry about. The Eagles are going to be dangerous team, the offense is going to be unpredictable and nasty and the wins will be there. Philadelphia’s been slated by most to win 5-7 games with this year serving as a “transitional” one. Garbage. Put 'em down for 8 or 9 and in the thick of the NFC playoff race.

The NFC East is a bit of a toss up as last year showed. I think any of them apart from the Eagles have a good shot.

MechDX

I just cant see it. The transition to 3-4 is going to be rough. I have no faith in Billy Davis as DC, no Maclin is a major loss, no reason to believe Vick will make it through the year, no backup QB for when he gets hurt. I do hope they show improvement, but they need to do bad and get a high pick next year. There are so many holes, starting with QB.

You got Thor on your damn team man!!!

5-21-13-james-casey.jpg

let DeMeco work with the defense and keep Connor Barwin away from the jacket shop and youre golden.
or just send demeco back. We need a back up for Cushing

The NFC East is a bit of a toss up as last year showed. I think any of them apart from the Eagles have a good shot.

I dont see it with the Cowboys. They are also switching D's, and to one that most people seem to think time has passed by, and all the shit with the HC. I think this is the year they hit bottom and Jerry brings in real football people next year to run things.

jbug617

Banned
Any of you guys bought NCAA Football 14? Is it any good? It's on sale on Amazon and I skipped it the past couple of years and itching to play. I rather play college football than Madden.

Syrinx

Is Bill Callahan still the offensive play caller in Dallas? I don't see much success for them as long as that's the case.

eznark

Banned
I dont see it with the Cowboys. They are also switching D's, and to one that most people seem to think time has passed by, and all the shit with the HC. I think this is the year they hit bottom and Jerry brings in real football people next year to run things.

Yeah, but it's the NFC East. 8-8 will probably win the division so acting like you need a "perfect" team to do so is goofy. It's easily the weakest division in football this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom