• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chandler Jones has potential.

Defensive Lineman who Bill drafted who made an impact, I would say Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. For Seymour and Warren, Bill made the right choice. Wilfork was a steal for the Pats at #21.

All three of those guys were drafted at least 9 years ago.

This is my point. Pats drafted well years ago and got three asterisks in return. But now they've lost it.

I remember reading an article that Belichick purged a whole shitload of scouts around 2006. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the team has sucked shit in the draft since then.

He excels at drafting offensive linemen, linebackers, and tight ends, and is good at drafting running backs. He's also excellent at finding late round values (Dennard, Deaderick, Edelman) and UDFAs like Green-Ellis, Ryan Wendell, and now potentially Thompkins and Sudfeld. I'm not saying he's the best GM in the league certainly, probably not even in the top 5, but I think people overemphasize how bad he is at drafting DBs and WRs.

You won't get any argument from me about the defensive line. It took him far too long to break his mold and draft someone like Jones, but I still think drafting Deaderick in the 7th, bringing in Kyle Love and Mike Wright as an UDFA, and turning Rob Ninkovich from a longsnapper into an 8 sack DE/LB demonstrates good value along the defensive line, even if none were impact players. And Jones had 6 sacks in his first 8 games and was the frontrunner for DROY before suffering an ankle injury and gimping his way through the last couple of games.
There we go with the value again. Value is what you round a team out with, not build it on. Bill is a great coach and can get the most of blood out of a stone of any coach in the league. Getting a D player to play like a high C isn't being a great GM though.

MechDX

I see that Harbs is justifiably concerned over cheap shots from GB due to the tough guy talk from the GB defense that feels the need to redeem its manhood. One hopes they either play honorably or risk a shot to ARod's knee from one of the Smith bros :-(

I don't think it will be cheap shots. Last season the read option worked partly because defenders and coaches did not fully understand how to approach it. This was due to Goodells QB coddling and defenders not knowing how or who they can hit. It was defined this offseason that a read option QB can be seen as a RB until the arm cocks back to throw then he gets QB protections.

I think it was NBC on one of their national pre-season games were demonstrating this and discussed the issue. Fact is RG3, Wilson, Kap...etc... are going to get hit a lot this season. Defenders will be going with their ears pinned back to blow up the read option before it can develop fully during plays.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SONY fanboys cant handle anything positive about the Xbox One can they....geez. Glad I like games and can grab both consoles. Feel sorry for the poors who cant; then feel the need to defend the company that doesn't give 2 shits about them once they bought the product.
As someone that was here for the launch of the PS3, i find it hilarious some of the same arguments going on now. Sony was pretty bad back then, but I don't think they ever did anything as bad as what MS just tried. But the same arguments are being posted now, but in reverse. People were pouncing on any positive Sony news, but for the most part all bad Sony news was posted all the time, much like bad MS news is now. I love that the forum is supposedly biased towards Sony now, when back in the day Sony people were saying the same thing about the forum and MS then.

Full disclosure, I've never liked MS in the console space. And this is from someone that makes good money supporting their corporate products like Win7, exchange, SCCM, SCOM, hyperv etc. A lot of their corporate policies and decisions they make with products are asinine, so I don't see how it would be any different with their console. I hated that halo was so damn popular and didnt see the appeal while I was playing games like Counterstrike on PC.

Hey NFL-GAF bros, I got laid off today. It's more time to watch football!
sorry to hear that. I was let go a year ago a week from now. It gets better.
What's your field if you don't mind me asking?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Just remembered what I heard on the radio today from a Jets fan:

J-E-T-S!

Just End The Season!

nLVpEUp.gif

Been hearing that one since 1st grade.

Dragon

Banned
So he drafts DB's and WR's poorly, and doesn't draft pass rushers..what is he good at besides the o-line?

I get the run stopping, but again, shy of Wilfork (who was drafted almost 10 years ago) the Pats are just a bunch of guys up front. That doesn't help the argument that he's a good drafting GM.

As for Jones, fine it was his rookie season, but he had 6 sacks. I wouldn't call that an impact player. Potential i'll give you.

I would argue the O-Line thing is as much Dante Scarnecchia as much as Bill. Guy is one of the best O-Line coaches in the league.

Hey NFL-GAF bros, I got laid off today. It's more time to watch football!

Sorry man! Hope things work out. Have a beer, watch the game and worry about it tomorrow!

Colasante

This is my point. Pats drafted well years ago and got three asterisks in return. But now they've lost it.

I remember reading an article that Belichick purged a whole shitload of scouts around 2006. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the team has sucked shit in the draft since then.

There we go with the value again. Value is what you round a team out with, not build it on. Bill is a great coach and can get the most of blood out of a stone of any coach in the league. Getting a D player to play like a high C isn't being a great GM though.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with you on that. Ryan Grigson won GM of the Year last year and it wasn't because he took Andrew Luck #1 overall. That's a no brainer move. It was bringing in value like Dwayne Allen and TY Hilton in the 3rd and Vick Ballard in the 5th that was impressive.

And it's not like Kevin Colbert has been knocking it out of the park every draft either, and I mean no disrespect by that, since I have a lot of respect for Colbert. I mean, let's just compare their 2011 draft, for instance.

Steelers- Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Chris Carter, Keith Williams, Baron Batch.

Patriots- Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Ryan Mallett, Lee Smith, Markell Carter, Malcolm Williams.

I don't know about you, but I think the Patriots had a better draft there.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

He also had real GMs he had Dimitroff and Pioli back then.
He also had real coordinators like Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis.

effzee

Julius Thomas, Denver's starting TE, arrested on warrant for failure to appear.

Just earned the starting spot too, smh. Was looking promising this pre-season.

Edit: happened last week. Nvm. Everything is cool.

Yeah plus its for a parking ticket or something.

I just picked him up as a possible sleeper.

NFL on Xbone:
That commercial really reinforced my disinterest in the NFL stuff on that platform. It's so unnecessary looking considering I have a tablet and smartphone I'd rather use for that stuff. If they actually offered something like Sunday Ticket at a reasonable price that would be different (at least if there is no other way to get it like this Madden deal) but I guess that could happen eventually.

I actually got into a conversation with a friend recently about the XBO features that let you share the screen between stuff. He asked me, "do you really need all 50" of that TV for what you're watching?" Of course I do! If I didn't I would have bought a smaller TV.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with you on that. Ryan Grigson won GM of the Year last year and it wasn't because he took Andrew Luck #1 overall. That's a no brainer move. It was bringing in value like Dwayne Allen and TY Hilton in the 3rd and Vick Ballard in the 5th that was impressive.
Yes it was, don't kid yourself. You think he gets GM of the year if Curtis Painter is bouncing passes to those players?

And it's not like Kevin Colbert has been knocking it out of the park every draft either, and I mean no disrespect by that, since I have a lot of respect for Colbert. I mean, let's just compare their 2011 draft, for instance.

Steelers- Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Chris Carter, Keith Williams, Baron Batch.

Patriots- Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Ryan Mallett, Lee Smith, Markell Carter, Malcolm Williams.

You do? 3 of the Pats picks are OOL as we speak, 1 is off the team. there is one starter in the Pats list whereas there are 2 with the Steelers, and the only reason Heyward isn't starting is because the guy in front of him is still playing at a high level. 5 of the Steelers 7 picks are still with the team.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Colbert is infallible, but during his tenure you can point to impact starters that have shown up in the drafts up to last year. He's had his bad years (2008 ended being a complete bust for example) but he's had players show up for this team recently. Can't say the same for Bill.

edit: my bad, forgot Ridley. 2 Pats starters to two Steelers starters.

I love how half the media makes BB out as a draft genius, and the other half is oh so happy to point out his flaws and mistakes. But his draft numbers/cuts are average/above average compared to the rest of the league. Even 'great drafting teams' like the Steelers and Packers.

It's all hit or miss, nobody knows for sure in a draft.

Although drafting 20 Rutgers players might be pushing it a bit.

Zeke

Think I just found the Giant fans gif of the year

http://i.imgur.com/Rqk1DYV.gif?1[IMG][/QUOTE]
is eli on meth?
we were cursed!
[QUOTE]“I don’t want to go back to last year,” Hatcher said, via Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News. “That was a long season. That was a long season. It was a roller-coaster ride. I felt like we had a curse on us.

“I was like, ‘What did somebody do to God?’ I felt like God had just cursed us and we just had to deal with it. That’s the way I felt. Every time we’d get a little bit of daylight, here comes the darkness. Please don’t bring up last year. We just roll in and start off with the Giants and continue to play great. I hope God just keeps everybody safe on this team. We can go and win some ballgames and do what we need to do.”[/QUOTE]

Dragon

Banned
That commercial really reinforced my disinterest in the NFL stuff on that platform. It's so unnecessary looking considering I have a tablet and smartphone I'd rather use for that stuff. If they actually offered something like Sunday Ticket at a reasonable price that would be different (at least if there is no other way to get it like this Madden deal) but I guess that could happen eventually.

I actually got into a conversation with a friend recently about the XBO features that let you share the screen between stuff. He asked me, "do you really need all 50" of that TV for what you're watching?" Of course I do! If I didn't I would have bought a smaller TV.

I think the fantasy stuff is fine, it sucks it's limited to nfl.com even though it makes sense. If MS' goal is to cater to the hardcore football fantasy player though, they need Yahoo! and ESPN.

As for as taking up the TV, yeah I kinda agree. If MS offers a similar functionality on their second screen experience (I mean yeah why not just use Skype through your iPad?) then I could see it being more worthwhile. I debated doing the Madden thing but I'm gonna be out at bars most likely watching the games every Sunday because my friends like to spend money needlessly.

KaYotiX

Banned
Jesus, Jim Harbaugh loves creating drama on and off the field. Him complaining about the comments that were made are no different than the embarrassing antics he displays on the sidelines when things don't go his way. Can't stand him.

Agree. I bet he cried to his mom when his brother won the Super Bowl last year too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't understand why they're hyping this at all honestly. Season will be 75% completed and 100% over for like at least half the teams in the league before the XB1 is even out.

MechDX

This Pete Schrager is enlightening:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ons-houston-texans-will-win-super-bowl-083013

My favorite part of the entire NFL season is the moment before the opening kickoff of the early games on Sunday, Week 1.

Whether you’re at a sports bar, at the stadium, or on your couch with your laptop cranked open with 35 minimized fantasy football live scores displayed in beautiful grandeur — it’s euphoric.

No matter what’s going on in your life, no matter how many things outside of football are on your mind (wife, kids, job, "Breaking Bad" spoilers) — everything is OK for that one moment.

Football is back.

It’s during this sliver of time that fans of 32 teams convince themselves that their squad — yes, this is the year! — is going to be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy six months down the road. Raiders fans find a way to rally around a (reportedly) healthy Darren McFadden and Browns supporters are legitimately excited about Brandon Weeden’s improved passing numbers this summer. The Jaguars had a glowing profile in ESPN The Magazine and the Chiefs have all sorts of new blood throughout the organization.

In so many long-suffering NFL cities, the refrain is exactly the same: It’s been so bad for so long, but you know what? This is when we turn it around.

Of course, by 1:10 p.m. ET on Sunday, all that optimism is thrown out the window. Reality sets in. A delay of game penalty makes a first quarter third-and-2 a third-and-7, poor punt coverage has the opponent in the red zone before the first Buffalo wing is even eaten, the same left tackle who’s been making boneheaded mistakes for the past three seasons is called for holding on a big yardage play ... it’s inevitable.

But at 12:58 p.m. ET? The glass is more than half full; it’s overflowing. The world is your oyster. Everything’s right. Everything’s perfect.

Remember to savor that moment this weekend. It might be the happiest you’ll be over the course of the next six months.

:jnc

3. Matt Schaub (and the Texans) will get over the hump: Put Schaub’s numbers up against Brees’ from the past five years. Somehow, some way, they’re eerily similar. Schaub’s been fantastic, and yet, you’d be hard-pressed finding anyone outside of the Texans organization who’d put him in the same breath as Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or any of the other 15 quarterbacks usually listed before him. This is the season Schaub earns the respect. How? By beating the big dogs and winning big games. Houston’s my pick out of the AFC and Schaub — not J.J. Watt or Arian Foster — is the reason why. More on the Texans in a bit.

10. The Houston Texans will beat the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XLVIII: I like teams that have tasted the playoffs, gotten through a round or two, and came up short. The Ravens in 2012. The Packers in 2010. The Colts in 2006. I’m all about the squads that got there, but not all the way. This year’s teams that fit the profile are Houston and Atlanta. Both teams won playoff games in 2012, but fell short. Both teams improved over the offseason. Are you ready for a Matt Ryan-Matt Schaub Super Bowl? The Matt Bowl? Sure you are. Give me Schaub and the Texans in a 23-20 battle in the Meadowlands on Feb. 2.

He got the MVP prediction wrong though.

Hunter S.

Is kickoff right at 6:30 or 8:30 for the East siders.? Or do we have half an hour of some singing and girls shaking their sexy asses first?

Cause I might barely make kickoff if it is right at 6;30

This Pete Schrager is enlightening:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ons-houston-texans-will-win-super-bowl-083013

:jnc

He got the MVP prediction wrong though.
I really do like the Texans' chances this year. Obviously there's no telling what will happen in the playoffs but you can almost always rest assured the favorite won't win and the winner will at least be someone who is on the radar. The Texans fit the mold and they are just a solid team. I think they pull it off this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom