• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

It could be that the standalone camera has a longer cable. They're promoting is being for room scale, it's a stupid oversight of them if they don't make it longer.

I doubt they'll make two versions. Either they make them all longer, or just pass the hassle off on the users.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well the other thread is certainly the shit show I expected.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Did either of those games show any movement? I would imagine they are going to use teleportation for locomotion.

If you watch the video of Lone Echo they use the Touch to grab on to things in world and pull themselves forward since you are in a zero g environment.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh, preorders in 4 days. I wonder how our slots in line will be handled. I guess we have a window to preorder to reserve our spot?

I just got an email with the details.

To retain priority status you need to pre-order using the same email used with your Rift preorder and complete your Touch pre-order before 11:59 PM Pacific on Thursday 10/27.

Enordash

So now I'm in a pretty interesting situation and I'm looking for some advice. As this part of GAF isn't immediately hostile to the Rift, I'll ask here:

I currently have both the Vive and Rift. Assuming the Rift's room-scale solution matches that of the Vive, which one do I keep in the long run? The extra $80 isn't really a driving factor. I do think the Rift is more comfortable, but the Vive has a much more positive buzz around it. I really don't want to keep both of them in the long run.

Bookoo

So now I'm in a pretty interesting situation and I'm looking for some advice. As this part of GAF isn't immediately hostile to the Rift, I'll ask here:

I currently have both the Vive and Rift. Assuming the Rift's room-scale solution matches that of the Vive, which one do I keep in the long run? The extra $80 isn't really a driving factor. I do think the Rift is more comfortable, but the Vive has a much more positive buzz around it. I really don't want to keep both of them in the long run.

Well if you think Oculus is more comfortable why not that one. I think HTC vive will see an upgrade of some sort before Oculus does.

Also since 2 cams can do 360 tracking and people have demoed roomscale I would wait to see what room size really requires 3 cameras.

Zannex

Neo Member

It's really up to you. I always preferred the Rift headset but everyone is different. I think the Touch controls look great but I haven't tried them yet, while I already know the Vive controls are great. Which headset you do actually prefer to use/wear from a comfort and image quality perspective? I would go with whichever one that is.

Well if you think Oculus is more comfortable why not that one. I think HTC vive will see an upgrade of some sort before Oculus does.

Also since 2 cams can do 360 tracking and people have demoed roomscale I would wait to see what room size really requires 3 cameras.

I'd second this. Also I believe HTC recently showed off a "wireless" solution of their own, kind of a battery pack deal the headset wires connect to that you clip onto you. Still prototype stages but I imagine that will be out within a year or so.

Wallach

Positive buzz isn't worth anything unless it results in something. I don't know how I'll feel once Touch is in my house and I set up the VR room to mess with it in room scale, but assuming it works near the same level I may not keep the Vive around.

Zalusithix

I'd second this. Also I believe HTC recently showed off a "wireless" solution of their own, kind of a battery pack deal the headset wires connect to that you clip onto you. Still prototype stages but I imagine that will be out within a year or so.

IIRC it was a company demoing their tech to Valve and using the Vive as a demonstration unit. Basically a third party accessory, not something from HTC themselves.

Wallach

I haven't had a chance to watch the presentation yet, have they said when ASW will be added to the SDK officially?

Not a hard date. It's technically part of the SDK right now and can be enabled with a flag I guess, but will probably get turned on before Touch launch in December officially.

Not a hard date. It's technically part of the SDK right now and can be enabled with a flag I guess, but will probably get turned on before Touch launch in December officially.
I see. I'm sure it works great but I'll just wait until it's officially ready. No doubt more adventurous individuals will give their impressions soon.

Enordash

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose the safest bet is to just wait until I have had my hands on both before deciding. I was hoping to get a jump on it and recoup a little bit more of the cost, but perhaps that wait is worth the loss (assuming the eBay price drops between now and then).

I'm a bit torn now. I've got a PSVR pre-order that should ship soon, but I'm thinking about cancelling it and using some of that money to pre-order Touch and keep my priority status. Don't think I can swing both this month.

chris121580

I'm a bit torn now. I've got a PSVR pre-order that should ship soon, but I'm thinking about cancelling it and using some of that money to pre-order Touch and keep my priority status. Don't think I can swing both this month.
I'm basically in the same boat and am very happy with my rift so I think I may wait on the PSVR

At the end of the day, look at the content.

Don't forget that with Touch you have access to Steam + Oculus store and all of the games which used to previously be "exclusive" to Vive due to the motion controller requirements.

Personally, if you already have a Rift, I think getting Touch over PSVR is a no-brainer. The available content library and quality of the experience is almost definitely going to be superior to PSVR. The third-party PSVR content is going to be making its way to PC over the next few months anyway as the Sony timed exclusivity agreements end. Obviously, the Sony published or developed ones won't come to PC though, so if those are enough to change everything, then keep the PSVR.

Tain

I just tried ASW out with a certain well-known Touch demo that I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to talk about. I played the whole thing in locked 45fps mode with ASW. Then I did the same with a project of my own.

It's good as hell. It has artifacts, of course, and it does break up more in hectic situations, but I'm very impressed.

Wallach

I just tried ASW out with a certain well-known Touch demo that I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to talk about. I played the whole thing in locked 45fps mode with ASW. Then I tried it with a project of my own.

It's good as hell. It has artifacts, of course, and it does break up more in hectic situations, but I'm very impressed.

People aren't really talking about the artifacts right now. What do they look like? How perceptible do you think they are in normal gameplay?

I just tried ASW out with a certain well-known Touch demo that I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to talk about. I played the whole thing in locked 45fps mode with ASW. Then I did the same with a project of my own.

Do you think it is viable or reasonable to intentionally play a game in an always-on ASW mode? I'm wondering about some of the more demanding games where normally I would turn down settings to reach 90fps.

Soi-Fong

Just did the same with my Touch dev kit at home. :D It's impressive for sure. With your project though, are you using Unity or Unreal?

Tain

People aren't really talking about the artifacts right now. What do they look like? How perceptible do you think they are in normal gameplay?

At pure nonstop 45fps, they're noticeable in busy scenes. It's hard to describe what they look like, but they're distortions on finer details, shapes merging together. Most of the time things are fine, but you can easily see them if you, say, start whipping your head around (uh, translationally) a nearby UI full of text. If you're still mostly getting 90fps, I doubt you'll notice anything.

Do you think it is viable or reasonable to intentionally play a game in an always-on ASW mode? I'm wondering about some of the more demanding games where normally I would turn down settings to reach 90fps.

Possibly, depending on taste. I don't think I would crank the AA/supersampling way up to the point that I'm always at 45fps, personally (though I have heard talk of some that are happy enough with it that they plan on doing this), but it will make me feel a lot better about maxing out games that run fine, say, 80% of the time.

Just did the same with my Touch dev kit at home. :D It's impressive for sure. With your project though, are you using Unity or Unreal?

Unreal 4.12 at the moment, the standard deferred renderer.

rickyson1

finally a light at the end of the tunnel

i'd have just cancelled my pre-order and gotten a vive instead if I had known it was gonna take this long for touch

DrBretto

Banned
I'm picking up my Oculus tomorrow!

I feel like an anthropomorphic cartoon schoolgirl kitten on a sugar rush. This will be my first toe dip into the VR revolution.

Where do I start?? On the list are a couple of gimmies:

-Minecraft - I actually already have a server on the Win10 edition. This is the number 1 thing I need to see.

-Dolphin VR - OMG, Wind Waker in VR. And, I have never played the 3D Metroids. What better way to start than with it all up in my FACE!

-Eventually, GTAV. I have been waiting for this goddamn game to go down to like $40 or go on a legitimate sale forever. It's finally setting in that this ain't gonna happen. But, it looks like it can be a VR playground extraordinaire, so I will be picking it up soon.

But. What else? There must be a compiled list of things you NEED to do when you get your Oculus. PArticularly free stuff. I am overbudget for this month.

GeoGonzo

I'm picking up my Oculus tomorrow!

I feel like an anthropomorphic cartoon schoolgirl kitten on a sugar rush. This will be my first toe dip into the VR revolution.

Where do I start?? On the list are a couple of gimmies:

-Minecraft - I actually already have a server on the Win10 edition. This is the number 1 thing I need to see.

-Dolphin VR - OMG, Wind Waker in VR. And, I have never played the 3D Metroids. What better way to start than with it all up in my FACE!

-Eventually, GTAV. I have been waiting for this goddamn game to go down to like $40 or go on a legitimate sale forever. It's finally setting in that this ain't gonna happen. But, it looks like it can be a VR playground extraordinaire, so I will be picking it up soon.

But. What else? There must be a compiled list of things you NEED to do when you get your Oculus. PArticularly free stuff. I am overbudget for this month.

You're going to hate hearing this but... those are mostly bad picks. They're all -interesting- but they are not confortable experiences. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd still recomment to start with Oculus Dreamdeck and Henry.

Enordash

You definitely need to approach your list with managed expectations. Hopefully you are not prone to motion sickness (like I am). If you are looking for a more traditional game, Chronos is a strong choice. Edge of Nowhere is pretty fun. Lucky's Tale is worth a look since it's free and has nice visuals. Unfortunately for it, the best of the game is towards the end, and you may not want to stick with it for that long. Blaze Rush is pretty fun and cheap. If you are looking for cockpit experiences, I'd go with Dirt or PCars. Avoid EVE:Valkyrie in my opinion. If you are into rhythm games, I believe Thumper is coming to Steam next week. That's one I'm personally very excited for.

I think you'll want to jump on the Touch preorder as well since VR really starts to shine once you bring your hands into the mix.

corin7

Neo Member
You definitely need to approach your list with managed expectations. Hopefully you are not prone to motion sickness (like I am). If you are looking for a more traditional game, Chronos is a strong choice. Edge of Nowhere is pretty fun. Lucky's Tale is worth a look since it's free and has nice visuals. Unfortunately for it, the best of the game is towards the end, and you may not want to stick with it for that long. Blaze Rush is pretty fun and cheap. If you are looking for cockpit experiences, I'd go with Dirt or PCars. Avoid EVE:Valkyrie in my opinion. If you are into rhythm games, I believe Thumper is coming to Steam next week. That's one I'm personally very excited for.

I think you'll want to jump on the Touch preorder as well since VR really starts to shine once you bring your hands into the mix.

I agree with most of this. The one thing I disagree with is EVE. It is my most played VR title by a mile. With the caveat that is mostly a multiplayer experience. It was a little bare bones at launch but they are supporting it with big free updates and it is fun as hell to play.

You're going to hate hearing this but... those are mostly bad picks. They're all -interesting- but they are not confortable experiences. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd still recomment to start with Oculus Dreamdeck and Henry.

I have to agree with this.

DrBretto

Banned

Minecraft and Wind Waker/Metroid are games that I actually am interested in playing without the VR factor, so they may not make the list of essentials for others, they (especially Minecraft, and the way I play, this will be amazing for me if not for everyone else) are definitely going to get some play.

But that said, I will look into this Oculus Dreamdeck. I do figure there will be lots of great demos out there that really get the most of it. I noticed there are a few different space-type games/demos out there. like Adr1ft and some other one that looks basically like google earth without the satellite images. I'm definitely interested in something like that. I love a good view. I'd love a really nice flying sim, too.

As for my expectations, don't let my excitement fool ya! I've tried the PSVR and read a lot of stuff out there. It'll be the first VR system *I* own but not the first time one of these things has been strapped to my head. I have a solid idea of what to expect there. I'm just looking for some of the best things to do to play around with it and show it off.

DrBretto

Banned

Good stuff I will also check out!

I don't know if I'll still have access to Lucky's Tale. I am getting this second-hand from someone that tried it, got motion sickness (definitely not a problem for me, BTW.) and just wanted to get some of his money back, so it's been used once or twice. It wasn't preordered either, so I won't have Eve for sure, and I wasn't actually planning to get anything for another month so I don't have a lot left to spend money on.

I'll check some of these out, though. I will reference this thread after I get everything installed.

Minecraft and Wind Waker/Metroid are games that I actually am interested in playing without the VR factor, so they may not make the list of essentials for others, they (especially Minecraft, and the way I play, this will be amazing for me if not for everyone else) are definitely going to get some play.

Thats not the point. The point is that these are experiences that will make you sick quite fast, especially if you new VR user.

Minecraft even has a "virtual TV mode", because they know their locomotion solution will make a lot of people sick.

DrBretto

Banned
Thats not the point. The point is that these are experiences that will make you sick quite fast, especially if you new VR user.

Minecraft even has a "virtual TV mode", because they know their locomotion solution will make a lot of people sick.

Gotcha.

Still not terribly concerned. They'll still be the things I check out early on. I've got a pretty iron stomach. But if they end up not feeling great, I'll move on to the next one anyway, so it's all good. I have to at least poke my head in and look at the world I've been building for months in 3D.

Bookoo

If you are looking for I believe Thumper is coming to Steam next week. That's one I'm personally very excited for.

Sweet I didn't know thumper was coming to PC. This and Super Hyper Cube looked like the most interesting thing on PSVR.

Just a heads up, GTAV in VR isn't really a thing yet and likely won't be for a long time. There's a mod out there that sort of does it but it's not fully featured and not even in stereoscopic 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom