• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

Dr.Morris79

A detailed analysis shows you need at least an RTX 4070 to run Final Fantasy 16 at native 1080p 60 FPS at medium.
'Opens thread worried'

'Pleased to see my card works in the 1st paragraph'

i9TIQlB.gif

marjo

As DF pointed out the game is designed around using DRS due to the widely fluctuating GPU load. Just enabling that setting and the amount of people who can play it at 1080p output minimum jumps up significantly.

Throw in DLSS as well and problem solved for the far majority of players.

Yeah, but then how would the warriors get to post their clickbait threads?

akira__

Banned
Sucks for those people. Game is pretty mind blowing at 4K/DLAA/Ultra/

Look at those beautiful shots, we all learned something from that post. That even though there is hysteria surrounding the PC release. With proper hardware it looks absolutely spectacular.

The digital foundry video on the subject.

You can quite clearly see the fps drops in Eikon fights as well as roaming. The resolution drop to 720p gets mentioned as well.

Great, now we can discussion with actual source, but those Eikon fights are special boss battles that are outliers from normal gameplay fights. During those Eikon fights the dev team decided to push graphics Fidelity. Thus the engine with the ps5 is fighting through those boss battles which are also half cutscene.

Thus the statement that the ps5 goes to 720p during battles seem to be misleading.

Branded

So you're telling me a team of 12 can crank out something like Witchfire (yes, quickly becoming a fanboy of that game) that runs flawlessly (no crashes or stutters) at Ultra settings, at 1440p, at 144fps (capped), at "Ultra Quality" upscaler and have it look like this as well?

GDkvPrO.jpeg

IV5wjRL.jpeg

Zic8wG3.jpeg

X8osJ2J.jpeg

The above images don't even take into account the moments when you're in combat and there's a fuckton of effects on the screen with multiple enemies that can quickly ramp up in numbers. Still runs silky smooth on mid-range hardware (6800XT OC + Ryzen 7 5800X3D)

So basically the hundreds working on a JRPG did fuck all when it came to optimization on PC. Got it.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Look at those beautiful shots, we all learned something from that post. That even though there is hysteria surrounding the PC release. With proper hardware it looks absolutely spectacular.

Great, now we can discussion with actual source, but those Eikon fights are special boss battles that are outliers from normal gameplay fights. During those Eikon fights the dev team decided to push graphics Fidelity. Thus the engine with the ps5 is fighting through those boss battles which are also half cutscene.

Thus the statement that the ps5 goes to 720p during battles seem to be misleading.
It drops to 720p in regular fights. The Eikon fights are the only ones where you get the 720p + 30ish fps combo as well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Adding sources to these discussions will increase the quality.

Just having baseless statements and emotional rants. Makes the thread read like one of that weird purple board.
That image was from Eurogamer / Digital Foundry. My bad, but such images are usually very easily recognized here.

nikos

So you're telling me a team of 12 can crank out something like Witchfire (yes, quickly becoming a fanboy of that game) that runs flawlessly (no crashes or stutters) at Ultra settings, at 1440p, at 144fps (capped), at "Ultra Quality" upscaler and have it look like this as well?

GDkvPrO.jpeg

IV5wjRL.jpeg

Zic8wG3.jpeg

X8osJ2J.jpeg

The above images don't even take into account the moments when you're in combat and there's a fuckton of effects on the screen with multiple enemies that can quickly ramp up in numbers. Still runs silky smooth on mid-range hardware (6800XT OC + Ryzen 7 5800X3D)

So basically the hundreds working on a JRPG did fuck all when it came to optimization on PC. Got it.

Username checks out.

(FFXVI reference).

Last edited:

Bojji

Buy a 4080, 4080 super, 4070 super or 4070Ti.

Your take that you need a 4090 is weird.

Or used 3080 12GB, 3080ti, 3090

^ All of those GPUs are more powerful than PS5 Pro and will give everyone great experience.

Do you have source for that statement. That it goes to 720p during normal fights?

(timestamped)

sliLeML.jpeg

VLmuRrD.jpeg

xYgkU3B.jpeg

And this is performance of performance mode with 720-1080p DRS in open world:

yJYlZaB.jpeg

"Locked 60" is far, far away.

akira__

Banned
Or used 3080 12GB, 3080ti, 3090

^ All of those GPUs are more powerful than PS5 Pro and will give everyone great experience.

(timestamped)

sliLeML.jpeg

VLmuRrD.jpeg

xYgkU3B.jpeg

And this is performance of performance mode with 720-1080p DRS in open world:

yJYlZaB.jpeg

"Locked 60" is far, far away.

Those are the Eikon fights, which happen during the storyline. They are boss battles and not normal fights. They are meant to be very epic. But they are a bit too epic for the base ps5.

Nobody is stating that there is the case of a locked 60 throughout.

Is the full game more demanding than the demo? I had about 100-120fps in the demo at 4K DLSSQuality + FG, but according to Tom's hardware my card only has 75fps in the full game at the same settings.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Do you have source for that statement. That it goes to 720p during normal fights?
Drop to 55 fps occurs fighting the raptor birds at 27:13. Indicating dropping to 720p was not enough to sustain a locked 60fps at that moment. The accompanying article has a screenshot during combat as well, and that certainly looks under 1080p.

Fabieter

Adding sources to these discussions will increase the quality.

Just having baseless statements and emotional rants. Makes the thread read like one of that weird purple board.

Its right there that it tops at 1080 but it very often drops lower. And it's less stabile at doing so.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I honestly don't get why some of you are upset
Same reason some are upset about the PS5 Pro.

Kind of funny seeing the lesser platform users poke fun at the platform above it. PS5 to PS5 Pro, and PS5 Pro to PC. I think it’s the pointy knees argument.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Same reason some are upset about the PS5 Pro.

Kind of funny seeing the lesser platform users poke fun at the platform above it. PS5 to PS5 Pro, and PS5 Pro to PC. I think it’s the pointy knees argument.

And some are mad that the truth about "PC Gaming" is being revealed.

akira__

Banned
Drop to 55 fps occurs fighting the raptor birds at 27:13. Indicating dropping to 720p was not enough to sustain a locked 60fps at that moment. The accompanying article has a screenshot during combat as well, and that certainly looks under 1080p.
It's for all fights (timestamped):

Just because it can happen under certain conditions with performance mode doesn't mean indicative of normal behavior.

> John: " Final Fantasy 16 arrives in excellent condition and gives players exactly the experience the developers intended. It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance. It's not quite flawless, but it's as close as we've seen for a long time - and that's worth celebrating"

> " Final Fantasy 16 offers players the choice between quality and performance modes, with both using aggressive dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) and TAA to reduce shimmer and noise. Quality mode is typically 1080p to 1440p, upscaled to 4K, while performance mode seems to top out at 1080p but often drops lower"

Yet there is group of posters making it seem as if the game is running horrendously on the base ps5.

side note: It's the only game that I played on graphics mode 30 fps instead of performance mode this gen. So I wouldnt agree with John, the performance was lacking.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Just because it can happen under certain conditions with performance mode doesn't mean indicative of normal behavior.

> John: " Final Fantasy 16 arrives in excellent condition and gives players exactly the experience the developers intended. It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance. It's not quite flawless, but it's as close as we've seen for a long time - and that's worth celebrating"

> " Final Fantasy 16 offers players the choice between quality and performance modes, with both using aggressive dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) and TAA to reduce shimmer and noise. Quality mode is typically 1080p to 1440p, upscaled to 4K, while performance mode seems to top out at 1080p but often drops lower"

Yet there is group of posters making it seem as if the game is running horrendously on the base ps5.

side note: It's the only game that I played on graphics mode 30 fps instead of performance mode. This gen. So I wouldnt agree with John, the performance was lacking.
Call me crazy but in my opinion having roaming dropping often out of the VRR window and combat dropping to 720p and still cannot hold a stable 60 doesn’t fit my definition of running well.

That only applies to the performance mode of course, the quality mode was decent, albeit 30fps. That’s the mode I played the game on.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That most PC gamers don't have the PCs that's often compared to console to win "Gaming wars" type arguments. I'm only talking about the "buy a PC" crowd. Not every PC gamer pushes that lame message.
So you have to own a PC that’s powerful, in order to talk about powerful PC’s being better than consoles?

Well shit, I guess people that don’t own sports cars can’t say that a Lamborghini is faster than my Malibu.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That most PC gamers don't have the PCs that's often compared to console to win "Gaming wars" type arguments.
I think there's no point in looking at people with midrange builds when discussing PS5 Pro vs PC stuff.
That would be like saying "oh but most Sony gamers have a PS5, so the Pro model doesn't count".

What I mean is, who gives a shit about the lowest range models? If I have a 4070 Super and some new system comes out, I'll compare that system to what I already have, and not to what a poor kid in some slum uses to watch anime and play LoL.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That most PC gamers don't have the PCs that's often compared to console to win "Gaming wars" type arguments. I'm only talking about the "buy a PC" crowd. Not every PC gamer pushes that lame message.
This is known since.... always.

And why should we care about what most PC gamers have???

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The biggest thing with PC is choice.

Choice of game settings. Choice of upscaling. Choice of hardware. Choice of storefront.

Playing on my PS5 sucks now because I love higher framerates. The lack of ability to tune settings to a desired framerate kills me now on console.
I disable depth of field in every game I play. Can't do that on a console.

Alebrije

This gives a sample that the so called PC Master Race belongs just for a few part of PC users. Glad for them but honestly is expensive to get a PC that runs all ultra. My son plays on PC and spent 1500 U.S. on his setup and its not Even the half of what top noch PCs can run.

That is why a prefer the console ecosystem, You get more performance por the price You pay.

Top Bottom