• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow....Listening to Michelle Malkin on Hannity just now made me physically angry. I'm ashamed of myself.

What could they possibly be saying besides "flip flop, playing politics, no morality, etc. The same shit they always say no matter what he does. Remember, Malkin criticized Obama's Tuscon speech as being purely political. In short, she'd attack Obama if he read the bible on Sesame Street

It's that twisted, hateful look on her face and the loud, condescending tone of her voice as she says all of it was political, he's caving to gay donors, etc.

michelle_malkin_true_face.jpg

It was the screaming that drove me crazy.

And then you have this asshole, with this exact look on his face, that permanent shit eating grin, nodding at everything she says:

hannity.jpg

I just want to say that I think Mourdock is such a fantasy-novel evil name. I think I would vote for it if I saw it on a ballot for that reason alone.

Clevinger

So if he's just caving to gay donors, are they also arguing he personally doesn't believe gay people should be married?

Obama is all bad things. He's the most radical liberal senator and president, and he cares so little for gay people he has to cave in to donors for gay rights in a cynical political move.

I doubt even one of their fans will bat an eye at that dichotomy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IdZc_h8ql_w

Boehner doesn't seem interesting in playing politics with the issue (yet). I gotta respect his focus on the economy, and I think most Americans will have a similar reaction to his

The words "Boehner" and "respect" don't really belong in the same sentence. The man has done nothing to help this country since he became speaker. He is a physical manifestation of whatever House conservatives force him to be.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Out of all the groups that suffer from cognitive dissonance, gay right wingers perplex me the most. At least with the Republican Messicans or Republican the Blacks, I can at least see the righties make the argument that they only hate the illegal/lazy/shiftless ones. But with homosexuals? They all absolutely despise them.

I mean, I get that we all have our priorities and such, but really? I mean, really now?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The words "Boehner" and "respect" don't really belong in the same sentence. The man has done nothing to help this country since he became speaker. He is a physical manifestation of whatever House conservatives force him to be.
I don't know "Respect Boehner" could be the next "Respect Knuckles"

... *bump*

markatisu

It's never wise to outright dismiss election results like that. Voter participation will be higher this year, but that doesn't mean 2010's election results mean nothing.

Yes it is wise to dismiss midterm voting participation and results, it almost always is out of balance from presidential elections. That is why people try to get things that would not normally pass the general electorate on the ballot in a midterm.

People don't vote, stupid things pass, bad people get elected. Its been that way for at least two decades and it will remain that way till people learn to vote more consistently then every 4 years.

It should be exempted even more when you are speaking of minorities and youth voting patterns in a midterm vs a presidential

I think it's funny how Obama keeps one-upping Romney and putting the spotlight back on him.

Last week it was the meeting in Afghanistan, today it's support of gay marriage.

It's like a Bugs and Daffy routine.

Out of all the groups that suffer from cognitive dissonance, gay right wingers perplex me the most. At least with the Republican Messicans or Republican the Blacks, I can at least see the righties make the argument that they only hate the illegal/lazy/shiftless ones. But with homosexuals? They all absolutely despise them.

I mean, I get that we all have our priorities and such, but really? I mean, really now?

Its as I said in the other thread. Libertarians sacrifice everything for the "free" market. They live in some delusional twisted world in which the government and the people are strangling the life out of the economy. If only the hard working businesses wouldn't be pestered by taxes, minimum wage laws, regulations, and environmental protection the world would lead into prosperity, because as history has shown time and time again, inclusive economies are the most successful.

They say they prioritize "freedom" and "small government" but that's just a bunch of horseshit. They want a practically governmentless state ran by the best and brightest entrepreneurs. That's why they want to privatize everything from the TSA, public schools, hell even the fucking CIA. In theory this would lead to an Ayn Rand paradise where everyone could be a millionaire. In practice this would lead to a corporate police state that could possibly rival Communism in mass killing given that the pieces move the correct way.

Thats why they still lean toward Republicans despite them being crazy. Because despite them not being financial conservative, civil rights, political rights, and what not. They are also against regulation against business which libertarians hate more than anything.

Hell some even support totalitarian rule. Just look at Hans-Hermann Hoppe with the book "Democracy: The God that Failed".

Here's a sample:
Hans-Hermann Hoppe said:
bums and inferior people will likely support his egalitarian policies, whereas geniuses and superior people will not. [145] For [this] reason… a democratic ruler undertakes little to actively expel those people whose presence within the country constitutes a negative externality (human trash which drives individual property values down).

Hans-Hermann Hoppe said:
In a covenant… among proprietor and community tenants for the purpose of protecting their private property, no such thing as a right to free (unlimited) speech exists, not even to unlimited speech on one’s own tenant-property. One may say innumerable things and promote almost any idea under the sun, but naturally no one is permitted to advocate ideas contrary to the very covenant of preserving and protecting private property, such as democracy and communism. There can be no tolerance toward democrats and communists in a libertarian social order. They will have to be physically separated and removed from society.

Hans-Hermann Hoppe said:
A member of the human race who is completely incapable of understanding the higher productivity of labor performed under a division of labor based on private property is not properly speaking a person… but falls instead into the same moral category as an animal – of either the harmless sort (to be domesticated and employed as a producer or consumer good, or to be enjoyed as a “free good”) or the wild and dangerous one (to be fought as a pest).

On the other hand, there are members of the human species who are capable of understanding the [value of the division of labor] but… who knowingly act wrongly… esides having to be tamed or even physically defeated [they] must also be punished… to make them understand the nature of their wrongdoings and hopefully teach them a lesson for the future.

Obviously not all libertarians are like this but I have met many with that "gel" the same way. Its basically a flipped version of how some of the far left will support almost anything that gets rid of "Capitalism", including giving shout out to authoritarian-like leaders or even dictators. Its hilarious.

GhaleonEB

2012-05-09-Blumenthal-pewsamesexmarriage.png

Looks like a net 20-point swing among blacks in the past four years or so, when the trend really accelerated. That's an incredibly rapid shift. Curious what others think - did Obama help shift that sentiment? Or was it an extension of existing trends? Sure looks to me like 2008 is when the numbers start to swing, but I nothing to evaluate other than the trend.

RDreamer

I wonder if Obama having this sort of position will push the black community to change a little bit. Maybe more of them will realize it's not such a bad thing after all. Sometimes it takes a well admired person standing up and saying something for people to realize they might need to re-check why they believe certain things.

I think it's funny how Obama keeps one-upping Romney and putting the spotlight back on him.

Last week it was the meeting in Afghanistan, today it's support of gay marriage.

It's like a Bugs and Daffy routine.

Hey . . . look at me. Look . . . see the pump-jack is not moving. Like Obama's energy policy.

90ca80ff16f9280d0f0f6a7067006261.jpg

(Wait what? Oil prices have dropped 5 days in a row? Why did you schedule this now? And doesn't the pump-jack not running emphasize the fact that it is a nonrewable source that we will eventually run out of? Where are you all going? Look at me? Why are you asking me about gay marriage? That has nothing to do with the pump-jack!)

I wonder if Obama having this sort of position will push the black community to change a little bit. Maybe more of them will realize it's not such a bad thing after all. Sometimes it takes a well admired person standing up and saying something for people to realize they might need to re-check why they believe certain things.

Yeah . . . we have a word for it . . . . "Leadership".

I think they are making a calculated risk that he can lead people on this issue.

Oblivion

To step away from Obama's war on opposite marriage for a bit, I asked this question several times in the past, and I finally got an answer for it. What would be the unemployment rate if the government workers that got laid off during the recession still had jobs:

imagesizer

The UE rate would be an amazing 7.1 percent. That's significantly lower than I thought it would be under the best case scenario.

In Rom Bot news, he gets annoyed with reporter

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-gets-testy-after-questions-on-gay-marriage

Mitt Romney would like to talk about the economy. He would apparently prefer not to talk about marriage equality, education for the children of illegal immigrants or medical marijuana. In an interivew with a CBS affiliate in Colorado, Romney was visibly annoyed after a string of questions that included his stance on gay marriage and civil unions (he’s against them), in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants (he’s against that) and medical marijuana (he thinks pot is a “gateway drug”).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Are we setting ourselves up for something horrible with Romney in the debates? I don't think so, but jesus I'm feeling overconfident. And that's saying something.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Are we setting ourselves up for something horrible with Romney in the debates? I don't think so, but jesus I'm feeling overconfident. And that's saying something.

We never really had a chance to see Romney in a one on one debate.
They quit doing debates early after doing a crapload of unfocused multi-person debates.

GhaleonEB

Obama demolished McCain, and has gotten much sharper over the past four years. He will be formidable. Remember his Q&A with the House GOP? Yeah. Romney barely held his own against Gingrich and Santorum. I'm confident, but I think there's good reason to be.

Romney passes the presidential test. He's not a demagogue and he's smart, so he'll do well in the debates. I think they'll be well fought, with Romney having a clear edge on the economy assuming things continue to stagnate; I just don't see what Obama can say to defend his record outside of "things are really bad, but they were way worse a few years ago!"

Obama will wipe the floor with Romney on foreign policy unless something big happens between now and then. He'll also probably come off far better on most issues - college tuition, social issues, the auto bailout, etc.

RDreamer

Romney's always been really kind of vague and rhetoric filled in the debates. He has never had to nor does he ever really try to back anything up, except by stretching the truth (or outright lying) on things where no one on stage would ever really call out (because they were all Republicans). When I see Obama talk he's always got numbers. Perhaps not hard numbers, but he goes into more specifics than Romney has. I think we can count on Obama having some numbers on his record, too, and he'll know how to spin it really well. The guy's been hammered on all sides from everything for the past 4 years. I think he knows how to respond to things, especially if they're still vague rhetoric.

That's kind of how I see the debates. Until now I feel like Romney's been able to get away with simple parlor tricks, and I'm not sure he's got the real thing up his sleeve. I just feel like Obama can pretty easily break the "illusion."

Just got this email from my buddy Barack:

Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

http://my.barackobama.com/Marriage

I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

If you agree, you can stand up with me here.

Thank you,

Barack

Your buddy sounds like a pretty cool guy. Keep us posted to what he is up to.
He's a good politics guy. He'll be president someday!

No but seriously. This is our fucking president, guys. I'm so proud of our country right now. It speaks volumes to me just having a president in the 21st century.

To step away from Obama's war on opposite marriage for a bit, I asked this question several times in the past, and I finally got an answer for it. What would be the unemployment rate if the government workers that got laid off during the recession still had jobs:

imagesizer

The UE rate would be an amazing 7.1 percent. That's significantly lower than I thought it would be under the best case scenario.

All Obama's fault. Don't look at republican governors, it's all Obama!

Also, Austerity works. just ask Europe!

imagesizer

Yep, Bams is totally a terribad President confirmed.

jeez that reporter came out the gate with snarky shit

The fact that Romney doesn't want to talk about gay marriage suggests this isn't a big issue for voters imo. He'd be all over this if his camp thought it was a winning issue

I couldn't disagree more. There was nothing snarky there what so ever.

If you do an interview, answer the questions asked, or be prepared to come off like a douchebag. Gay marriage is the story of the day, if that question wasn't asked, that reporter wouldn't be doing her job. Medical marijuana, while not the most important issue these days, should be handled with ease by a national politician without whining like a child.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If only we were forward thinking enough, the government should take advantage of the crappy labor conditions and HIRE good people during a recession... Then cut the fat during economic booms.

2012-05-09-Blumenthal-pewsamesexmarriage.png

Looks like a net 20-point swing among blacks in the past four years or so, when the trend really accelerated. That's an incredibly rapid shift. Curious what others think - did Obama help shift that sentiment? Or was it an extension of existing trends? Sure looks to me like 2008 is when the numbers start to swing, but I nothing to evaluate other than the trend.

I really wonder if Obama will actually help the support among african americans and kind of being the one that really brings the issue up in that comunity (it seems to me its never really discussed and thus old attitudes prevail).

I've seen some bad reactions from people on facebook but I wonder if Obama can give a race kind of speech about this issue.

Oblivion

You would think that for people who absolutely love the Bible, republicans would actually bother reading it:

On Wednesday, MSNBC's Martin Basir invited Rep. Joe Barton to discuss an upcoming vote in the House that would slash funding for, among other things, Meals on Wheels, and school lunches for poor children. Barton, some of you may recall, was the dipshit congressman that apologized on the House floor to British Petroleum for our ocean getting in the way of their oil.

Barton said a few interesting things, but one thing that REALLY caught my attention was when he tried to defend his callous cuts by pointing to the Bible.

Bashir: I know you're a long time member of the Methodist Church. Is that correct?

Barton: Yes, sir. That's a true statement.

Bashir: How do you square your approach with the Psalm 146, where the Psalmist writes this: "He gives food to the hungry. The lord protects foreigners. He defends orphans and widows." Isn't this the exact opposite of the cuts being proposed by Republicans in congress?

Barton: No, the lord helps those who helps themselves...

Bashir: Which verse of scripture is that, sir?

Barton: Well, it's uh..

Bashir: I don't think you'll find that in the Old or New Testament.

Barton: Well, that was taught to me by my father who is president of the United Methodist school board in Waco Texas, and Bryant, Texas.

http://readingisforsnobs.blogspot.com/2012/05/idiot-congressman-quotes-scripture.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom