• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

what, so the Republicans that did vote for it suddenly aren't right wingers?
especially the ones listed here

I meant they're not AS right wing. If you're GOP you're kind of right-leaning by default. I'm talking right vs tea party-esque FUCK YEAH SHOOTBANG right.

The dems are center-right as it is, as well.

Yes, that's one of the stock responses. "Do you really think us insignificant humans could have any real impact on this huge and amazing planet? My goodness, such hubris!"

Usually coming from the same subset of people claiming to have all the answers about the universe from The Good Book™

benjipwns

Banned
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/113/senate/2/59

How can something even Ted Cruz, Mitch McConnell, David Vitter, Chuck Grassley and Rand Paul see is right can be killed off by so many Democrats?
Strange vote indeed. Well, a lot of them are the usual suspects from red-leaning states. But Sheldon Whitehouse and Jack Reed from Rhode Island? Is there some local angle?

There's not a single person who voted nay that's in a tough re-election campaign unless you're on the doomwagon and want to count Warner as vulnerable. Pryor, Landrieu, Hagan and Begich all voted for it.

People like Whitehouse, Reed, Carper and Kaine aren't going to face any serious re-election battles so I have no idea why they would vote against it.

Maybe they have strong support from the naval population, and they don't want it? Hard to tell.
They were all supporting McCaskill's bill instead:
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/113/senate/2/62
The supposed nothing-burger of the bill put forth by McCaskill (D-Mo.) would get rid of the “good soldier” defense that takes irrelevant factors such as the service record of the accused into account. In cases where there is a dual jurisdiction because the crime occurred off of a military base, the victim would get a say in whether the case would be handled in a civilian or military court. It would extend protections to students in service academies. And it would require that in every decision on every promotion in the military, that commander’s record on the handling of sexual-assault cases would have to be taken into account.

“The most frustrating thing about this,’’ McCaskill said in a phone interview Friday, “is the narrative that, ‘Whose side are you on, the victim’s or the commander’s?’ That’s offensive. If I didn’t care so much about this,’’ she said, she would have let Gillibrand’s bill go to a vote, although convinced that she would be harming the victims.

A former prosecutor, McCaskill said she spent her legal career supporting sex-crime victims at a time few others would. “The guys in my office used to laugh at the cases I’d take to court,’’ she said. “I took three guys who took a stripper home to court, and got them all three convicted.’’

McCaskill says that taking the prosecution of sex crimes in the military out of the chain of command would have resulted in fewer prosecutions, not more, because prosecutors, she said, “get seduced by a win-loss record, and don’t want to take a loser to court.”

Under Gillibrand’s bill, if a prosecutor doesn’t want to take the case to trial, that’s the end of it, whereas under McCaskill’s, if the prosecutor wants to take the case and the commander does not, it’s automatically referred to the civilian secretary of that branch of the service for review. In cases where neither the prosecutor nor the commander wants to bring the case, it’s also referred to the secretary.

McCaskill points out that the military sexual-assault cases in the news would not have been brought if Gillibrand’s bill were law. After an Army captain accused Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair, it was the commander, rather than prosecutors, who insisted that the case go to court.
McCaskill said she’s been bruised by the pronouncements of other Democratic women in the Senate, especially Gillibrand and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.). During Friday’s debate, McCaskill repeatedly said it was important to focus on their many areas of agreement, but Gillibrand wasn’t having it. “This is not an opportunity to congratulate ourselves on the great reforms we’ve done,’’ she answered pointedly.

But as much as that hurt McCaskill — “I’m a tough cookie, but both Boxer and Gillibrand’s arguments stung’’ — it was her ally on the bill, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who she seems to have wanted to throttle as he argued with great emotion that taking sex crimes out of the chain of command would be a slap in the face to commanders.

“I tried to walk Lindsey back; I frankly could give a s--- if I hurt the commanders’ feelings, when my focus is on the victims I care about as much as she does,’’ McCaskill said of Gillibrand, “even if that acknowledgment is not always reciprocated.”

Aaron

Yes, that's one of the stock responses. "Do you really think us insignificant humans could have any real impact on this huge and amazing planet? My goodness, such hubris!"
You should ask them if they think seven billion termites would have an insignificant impact on their house.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Obama’s New Approach Takes a Humorous Turn (NY Times)

WASHINGTON — In “Between Two Ferns,” an off-color online parody of celebrity interview shows, the comedian Zach Galifianakis has spanked Justin Bieber with his belt, discussed Charlize Theron’s thighs and asked Natalie Portman for her phone number.

On Tuesday, Mr. Galifianakis will welcome President Obama to the comedy show that he has turned into an Internet cult favorite by making his guests feel awkward and uncomfortable.

lol

HyperionX

You should show them this picture:

land_mammals.png

benjipwns

Banned
Younger groups do tend to be more socially liberal in general and the GOP usually hasn't been exempt from this, but those born after say 1981 have always been more supportive of gay marriage than other age groups:
http://features.pewforum.org/same-sex-marriage-attitudes/slide2.php
http://www.columbia.edu/~jrl2124/Lax_Phillips_Gay_Policy_Responsiveness_2009.pdf (page 50)

I assume it's partially their increasing relative number that was also playing a big role in getting pluralities at CPAC for legalizing marijuana for recreational use.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
El Rushbo said:
No. Even if I thought that, I wouldn't go there. My point with this picture, Linda, was to point out media hypocrisy. I mean, Bush reads to kids, all presidents do. Bush did it on 9/11 and the media tagged him immediately as an idiot, deer-in-the-headlight eyes, doesn't know what he's doing, vacant, stupid, idiotic cowboy. And here's Obama reading to the kids while Ukraine's violating all kinds of agreements Obama signed, and not a ripple from the Drive-Bys. That's all I was pointing out with that. And as far as the name "Hussein" is concerned, I don't know what I can do. I'll ask him to change it.

Ukraine is Obama's 9/11.

The story has been chipped away at by liberal blogs for awhile but it's great to see a more "mainstream" source get involved. Her story is a bold faced lie, and the denial is even worse. I don't even think Koch is paying her to lie: her Obama delusion is so great she would rather lose money than silently benefit from his law. $1,000 premium, huge deductible...and she wants that plan back, what the fuck. I know republicans who have saved money due to the law and readily admit it while claiming it doesn't work for "most people" (which is probably true).

You've gotta be a special type of batshit to turn down $500 in monthly savings over idealogical disputes.

The power of denial is strong.

Julie-Boonstra.jpg

Very subtle ad there. LOL.

This seriously should not that hard to find a legitimate case of someone getting screwed by the ACA if this is (to quote Faux News) Obama's Katrina.

This lady is saving money.

The 3 families on Hannity were going to save money.

The one lady claimed the ACA was going to jack up her premiums without ever having visited healthcare.gov.

As we are seeing uninsured rates hitting new lows for Americans, we are also seeing Obamacare directly give rise to extra income in people's pockets, too.

b12atxiztekoguarvptywa.png

Between all this and the CBO report suggesting that the ACA is not the job killer it was perceived to be must really be worrying conservatives.
This law is going to become popular and the GOP will be seen as doing everything to oppose this.

Sadly, yes it was.

It's not only the Right that complains about dumb and superficial stuff.
He sat there for five minutes after he was told what was happening. On the one hand, there wasn't much he could do at that point, having blown off the intelligence for months. On the other, move your ass dummy.

I assume the only reason part of the 9/11 plan wasn't to look at his public appearance schedule and fly a plane into that building was that they felt that they wouldn't have been able to get him before he moved. Little did they know just how slow he and his staffers were.

But, you know, no big deal.

You just have to laugh at Diane Fienstein moaning, groaning, and complaining about the CIA snooping on Congress. Heavens! Get the smelling salts. The irony is just too rich for me to handle. Hey DiFi, (D-Police State & Unprovoked wars) spare us the feigned outrage when you couldn't give two shits about NSA spying.

He sat there for five minutes after he was told what was happening. On the one hand, there wasn't much he could do at that point, having blown off the intelligence for months. On the other, move your ass dummy.

I assume the only reason part of the 9/11 plan wasn't to look at his public appearance schedule and fly a plane into that building was that they felt that they wouldn't have been able to get him before he moved. Little did they know just how slow he and his staffers were.

But, you know, no big deal.

I've never liked this argument, even when I was a hardcore anti-war high schooler visiting antiwar.com and commondreams.org every day. None of us could possibly imagine the sheer magnitude of responsibility or fear that must have hit Bush at that moment. What did you expect him or any person to do in that situation? Jump up and leave? That's not how most people react to crisis; in fact most people sit down and gather their thoughts.

I think Bush was a horrible president but I think nearly every president would have reacted the exact same. At that moment he had to know that he was very likely about to start a military campaign that would lead to a lot of people dying, he didn't know whether more attacks were in progress, he didn't know whether a country had instigated the attack, etc. I can't imagine how fast his mind was racing. And while he ultimately made the wrong decision later (attacking Iraq) I cannot fault him for gathering his strength after hearing of the attack.

adg1034

Eh, if that's her ideological viewpoint, isn't it right that she sticks to her beliefs even when she has a financial incentive to do otherwise. She'd be a hypocrite otherwise.

Poli-GAF loves to attack the GOP as the party of "I've got mine" or whatever, but here we see a Republican (or a Republican-leaning independent, I don't know) willing to forgo personal financial gain because of her beliefs.

I mean, I'm OK with the PPACA, so I'm not backing this ad, but it's kind of a weird line of attack to criticize people for not changing their opinions to save a buck. "If only Republicans were greedier!"

Her ad was based around money, though- "I can't afford my medications, so I'll die." No, the new plan does cover her medications, and at a lower annual out-of-pocket cost. So it's disingenuous.

Eh, if that's her ideological viewpoint, isn't it right that she sticks to her beliefs even when she has a financial incentive to do otherwise. She'd be a hypocrite otherwise.

Poli-GAF loves to attack the GOP as the party of "I've got mine" or whatever, but here we see a Republican (or a Republican-leaning independent, I don't know) willing to forgo personal financial gain because of her beliefs.

I mean, I'm OK with the PPACA, so I'm not backing this ad, but it's kind of a weird line of attack to criticize people for not changing their opinions to save a buck. "If only Republicans were greedier!"

Thank you. Yglesias award nominee.

It's not about greed or even principles - she isn't signing up for some federal plan, and any insurance plan she chooses in the future will be impacted by the law anyway. If a republican healthcare law passed that cut my premiums in half and lowered my out of pocket yearly expenses by more than $1000, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up - and nor would most liberals. Just as many conservatives have signed up for plans under the ACA.

I can understand someone refusing to sign up for Medicaid for ideological reasons, for instance. But this is private insurance, and significantly better than her old plan. It makes no sense on any level. The entire point of the ad was financial. She would rather die than sign up for a PRIVATE insurance plan.

Wilsongt

Omg. I can't.

Michele Bachmann: Gay community has 'bullied the American people'

Michele Bachmann, the Republican Representative from Minnesota, while speaking on a radio program at last week's Conservative Political Action Conference, said the gay community has “bullied the American people” and “intimidated politicians.”

Bachman was primarily speaking about SB 1062, the "religious freedom restoration act," which was vetoed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. “There’s nothing about gays in there, but the gay community decided to make this their measure,” Bachmann said. “And the thing that I think is getting a little tiresome is the gay community have so bullied the American people and they have so intimidated politicians that politicians fear them and they think they get to dictate the agenda everywhere. Well, not with the Constitution you don’t.”

Previously Bachmann said she was “sorry” that Brewer had vetoed the bill stating, “Just like we need to observe tolerance for the gay and lesbian community, we need to have tolerance for the community of people who hold sincerely held religious beliefs."

She also had some harsh words for President Obama during the interview saying, "He's a lawless president who's violating the Constitution with every executive order."

You can hear the entire interview here.

This woman. I can't.

That's one of them. But it has more to do with someone not wanting social programs because taxes. The criticism of, fuck you I got mine," is that they don't want to forgo personal financial gain for the betterment of the many. Here is the opposite ... she's willing to take a financial loss to the detriment of the many (ironically including herself). The commonality between these two positions is they both take personal freedoms over the betterment of self and society.

ivysaur12

Banned
TERRIBLE NEWS FOR KAY HAGAN ALERT

Raleigh, N.C. – PPP's newest North Carolina poll finds that Thom Tillis' support has declined after a month defined by his gaffes on the campaign trail, and that he's now tied for the Republican Senate nomination with Greg Brannon. Tillis and Brannon are both at 14%, followed by Heather Grant at 11%, Ted Alexander and Mark Harris at 7%, Alex Bradshaw at 6%, Jim Snyder at 4%, and Edward Kryn at 1%. A month ago Tillis led Brannon 20/13.

Tillis drew a lot of attention last month for his comments on Obamacare and the minimum wage, and what he said about those things doesn't play well with the GOP base. On the day he filed Tillis made news by suggesting he didn't think there should be a minimum wage- but even among GOP primary voters only 27% support eliminating it to 56% that would be opposed. More problematic for Tillis could be his statement last week that 'Obamacare is a great idea that can't be paid for.' Only 15% of primary agree with Tillis' sentiment that 'Obamacare is a great idea,' to 78% who say they disagree with it.

The general election for the Senate race continues to look like a toss up, with every potential match up within 2 points one way or the other. The numbers are a slight improvement for Kay Hagan compared to a month ago- she leads Tillis 45/43, Kryn 43/41, and Grant 43/42, she is tied with Bradshaw, Brannon and Harris at 43, and she trails Snyder 43/42 and Alexander 45/43. The issues are starting to set up a little bit better for Hagan as well. There is overwhelming support for the proposed minimum wage hike to $10 an hour that the leading Republicans oppose, 59/33. The GOP candidates have said they think the state should have the right to ban birth control but only 12% of North Carolinians agree with them, compared to 75% who disagree.

“This is the first poll where we’ve seen any improvement in Kay Hagan’s overall situation since September,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “The Republican primary is a mess, and she’s doing better in head to heads as the issues in the news work more to her advantage.”

- See more at: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...-gop-senate-primary.html#sthash.K0w0nzDR.dpuf

EVEN WORSE NEWS FOR NATIONAL DEMS

PPP's newest national poll finds the overall political climate improving slightly for Democrats over the last month: Barack Obama's approval ratings have ticked up a little bit, the Obamacare rollout is getting better reviews, and the party's retaken the lead on the generic Congressional ballot.

-Barack Obama's approval rating stands at 43/51 this month, the best it's been since a 46/50 standing in October. He's improved a net 6 points after hitting a record low in PPP's polling in December at 41/55. Nevertheless Obama still has big problems with independents, coming in at 30/62 with them.

-Perceptions of the Obamacare rollout are still negative, but they're at least improving. In late January only 32% of voters said they felt the rollout had been successful, compared to 62% who rated it unsuccessful. Now 39% say they think the rollout's been a success to 56% who give it low marks. Overall 39% of voters support the Affordable Care Act to 48% who are opposed, numbers pretty much consistent with what we've found since 2009.

-Democrats have reclaimed the lead on the generic Congressional ballot, 43/40, after trailing 42/40 on it in January. Congressional Democrats have poor approval numbers, at a 35/56 spread, but that puts them far ahead of Congressional Republicans who come in at 23/67. One key difference is that Democrats are at least happy with their own party in Congress, giving it a 66/21 approval, while Republicans give their own a negative assessment at 43/48.

A few other notes from our national poll:

-The minimum wage issue continues to play out well for Democrats. 56% of voters support increasing it to $10 an hour, compared to only 38% opposed. We've also found support for this everywhere that we've polled on the state level. Democrats (83/12) almost unanimously favor the increase, and 29% of Republicans do as well.

-Finally we looked at how Americans feel about the selection of '12 Years a Slave' as best picture in the Oscars this year. A majority- 52%- said they had no opinion about the selection but it was generally popular with those who did have one- 32% said they agreed with it to 16% who disagreed. There's a partisan divide on that sentiment though- Democrats agree with the choice 53/10, while Republicans with an opinion on it disagreed 15/23.

KingK

That Between Two Ferns interview was hilarious. "Running for a third term would be like making a third Hangover movie. Didn't work out so well, did it?"

You just have to laugh at Diane Fienstein moaning, groaning, and complaining about the CIA snooping on Congress. Heavens! Get the smelling salts. The irony is just too rich for me to handle. Hey DiFi, (D-Police State & Unprovoked wars) spare us the feigned outrage when you couldn't give two shits about NSA spying.

Yeah, I woke up to seeing Fienstein on the news complaining about the CIA hacking her computers and I nearly spit out milk and cereal laughing. This is probably just as bad as any case of Republican hypocrisy you can find. It's so fucking blatant. She's been like the most vocal defender of the NSA in the senate. She absolutely has no right to complain about this while she still supports the NSA without reservation.

But... that's clearly not what's happening here. She's not saying "this would save me money, but I'm not going to take it because I'm ideologically opposed." She's instead pretending that it actually wouldn't save her money, that in fact it's so much more expensive that the new plan might actually kill her due to being unaffordable. She is either so blinded by ideology that she refuses to look at the facts, or she's lying to further the goals of her political team. I don't see how either of those is remotely admirable.

If she came out and said "I'm willing to die for my beliefs, and I don't believe in Obamacare, so I'm just not going to sign up for insurance and will probably die," well... we'd probably still be making fun of her, just for different reasons. But in any case, that's not at all what is going on here.
Exactly. The numbers show she'll actually save money on Obamacare, but she's saying she doesn't feel like that's true. And what backs her up, exactly?

If she wants to forgo insurance because she's against Obamacare, that's her right, I suppose. But the Republicans peddling this crap know 99% of Americans aren't about to become martyrs for small government, so they have to blatantly lie to keep people off the exchanges.

Wilsongt

Frozen turning children gay, just like video games are turning children into violent criminals, sex on TV is turning children into sexual deviants, and crime on TV is making children want to rob someone.

Swanson: Disney's 'Frozen' Is A Satanic Push To Turn Kids Gay - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/swanson-disneys-frozen-satanic-push-turn-kids-gay#sthash.NMUBgxfu.dpuf

Religious Right talk show host Kevin Swanson railed against the Disney film Frozen on Wednesday, accusing Disney of using the movie to turn children gay.

Swanson told cohost Steve Vaughn that Satan is using the movie “to indoctrinate my 5-year-old to be a lesbian.”

That poor 5-year old. Lets instead indoctrine her to believe in a mythical sky wizard who floods the earth and kills people, that the earth is only 6000 years old, and Jesus was white.

I'm tired of seeing stupid things Republicans say and do. It's becoming boring and predictable. Post stupid shit Dems say and do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom