• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Ugh.

I just saw that affirmative action decision. This Supreme Court disgusts me so in so many ways, and few quite so much as their adherence to the principle of colorblindness.

And let's not forget America's working poor, who are currently struggling for a long overdue wage increase: "The struggles of the poor in the United States are even starker than those of the middle class. A family at the 20th percentile of the income distribution in this country makes significantly less money than a similar family in Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland or the Netherlands. Thirty-five years ago, the reverse was true."

It is worth noting that this all based off of "post-tax" income, so Canadians have more government services AND have more money left over after they pay their taxes.

Yep. Americans desperately need to let that sink in.

Digusting
The last few years have brought an astonishing moral and political transformation in the American debate over same-sex marriage and gay equality. This has been a triumph not only for LGBT Americans but for the American idea. But the breakthrough has brought with it rapidly rising expectations among some supporters of gay marriage that the debate should now be over. As one advocate recently put it, “It would be enough for me if those people who are so ignorant or intransigent as to still be anti-gay in 2014 would simply shut up.”

The signatories of this statement are grateful to our friends and allies for their enthusiasm. But we are concerned that recent events, including the resignation of the CEO of Mozilla under pressure because of an anti-same-sex- marriage donation he made in 2008, signal an eagerness by some supporters of same-sex marriage to punish rather than to criticize or to persuade those who disagree. We reject that deeply illiberal impulse, which is both wrong in principle and poor as politics.

We support same-sex marriage; many of us have worked for it, in some cases for a large portion of our professional and personal lives. We affirm our unwavering commitment to civic and legal equality, including marriage equality. At the same time, we also affirm our unwavering commitment to the values of the open society and to vigorous public debate—the values that have brought us to the brink of victory.

Diversity Is the Natural Consequence of Liberty

The gay rights struggle is about freedom and equality for all. The best and most free society is one that allows the largest number to live true to their core beliefs and identities. It is a society that allows its members to speak their minds and shape their own aspirations.

The natural consequence of true liberty is diversity. Unless a society can figure out a way to reach perfect agreement, conflicting views will be inevitable. Any effort to impose conformity, through government or any other means, by punishing the misguided for believing incorrectly will impoverish society intellectually and oppress it politically.

The test of our commitment to liberal principles is not our eagerness to hear ideas we share, but our willingness to consider seriously those we oppose.

Progress Comes from Persuasion

There is no evidence that Brendan Eich, the Mozilla CEO who resigned over his $1,000 donation to California’s Proposition 8 campaign, believed in or practiced any form of discrimination against Mozilla’s LGBT employees. That would be a very different case. He was pressured to leave because of personal political action he took at a time when a majority of the American public shared his view. And while he acknowledged the pain his donation caused, he did not publicly “recant,” which some suggested he should have done as the price of keeping his job.

So the issue is cleanly presented: Is opposition to same-sex marriage by itself, expressed in a political campaign, beyond the pale of tolerable discourse in a free society? We cannot wish away the objections of Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faith traditions, or browbeat them into submission. Even in our constitutional system, persuasion is a minority’s first and best strategy. It has served us well and we should not be done with it.

Free Speech Is a Value, Not Just a Law

Much of the rhetoric that emerged in the wake of the Eich incident showed a worrisome turn toward intolerance and puritanism among some supporters of gay equality—not in terms of formal legal sanction, to be sure, but in terms of abandonment of the core liberal values of debate and diversity.

Sustaining a liberal society demands a culture that welcomes robust debate, vigorous political advocacy, and a decent respect for differing opinions. People must be allowed to be wrong in order to continually test what is right. We should criticize opposing views, not punish or suppress them.

The freedom—not just legal but social—to express even very unpopular views is the engine that propelled the gay-rights movement from its birth against almost hopeless odds two generations ago. A culture of free speech created the social space for us to criticize and demolish the arguments against gay marriage and LGBT equality. For us and our advocates to turn against that culture now would be a betrayal of the movement’s deepest and most humane values.

Disagreement Should Not Be Punished

We prefer debate that is respectful, but we cannot enforce good manners. We must have the strength to accept that some people think misguidedly and harmfully about us. But we must also acknowledge that disagreement is not, itself, harm or hate.

As a viewpoint, opposition to gay marriage is not a punishable offense. It can be expressed hatefully, but it can also be expressed respectfully. We strongly believe that opposition to same-sex marriage is wrong, but the consequence of holding a wrong opinion should not be the loss of a job. Inflicting such consequences on others is sadly ironic in light of our movement’s hard-won victory over a social order in which LGBT people were fired, harassed, and socially marginalized for holding unorthodox opinions.

Enforcing Orthodoxy Hurts Everyone

LGBT Americans can and do demand to be treated fairly. But we also recognize that absolute agreement on any issue does not exist. Franklin Kameny, one of America’s earliest and greatest gay-rights proponents, lost his job in 1957 because he was gay. Just as some now celebrate Eich’s departure as simply reflecting market demands, the government justified the firing of gay people because of “the possible embarrassment to, and loss of public confidence in . . . the Federal civil service.” Kameny devoted his life to fighting back. He was both tireless and confrontational in his advocacy of equality, but he never tried to silence or punish his adversaries.

Now that we are entering a new season in the debate that Frank Kameny helped to open, it is important to live up to the standard he set. Like him, we place our confidence in persuasion, not punishment. We believe it is the only truly secure path to equal rights.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...y_we_must_have_both_122376.html#ixzz2zdlJLIMb
Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

Signatories

Jonathan Adler
Case Western Reserve University School of Law

Kenneth Anderson
American University Washington College of Law

Brian Bix
University of Minnesota Law School

David Blankenhorn
President, Institute for American Values

Reginald J. Brown
Partner, WilmerHale

Jim Burroway
Box Turtle Bulletin

Steven G. Calabresi
Northwestern University Law School

Dale Carpenter

Brian Chase
Former senior staff attorney, Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund

James Chen
Michigan State University Law School

Jeff Cook-McCormac
Senior Advisor, American Unity Fund

John Corvino
Wayne State University

Donald Downs
University of Wisconsin—Madison

Beth Elliott
Daughters of Bilitis
California Committee for Sexual Law Reform

Richard Epstein
New York University School of Law

William A. Galston
The Brookings Institution

Margaret Hoover
President, American Unity Fund

Lisa Graham Keegan
Former Arizona State Superintendent of Public Instruction

Timothy Kincaid
Box Turtle Bulletin

Gregory J. King
HRCF Communications Director, 1989-1995

James Kirchick
The Daily Beast

Heidi Kitrosser

Jim Kolbe
Former member, U.S. House of Representatives

David Lampo
Author, “A Fundamental Freedom”
Log Cabin Republicans

Eli Lehrer
President, R Street Institute

James Lindgren
Northwestern University Law School

David Link

Fred Litwin
Fabulous Blue Tent

Brett McDonnell

William McGeveran

Ken Mehlman
Businessman; 62nd Chairman, Republican National Committee

Stephen H. Miller
Independent Gay Forum/IGF Culture Watch

Charles Murray
American Enterprise Institute

Norman Ornstein

Richard Painter

Branden Petersen
Minnesota State Senate

Mark Pietrzyk

David Post
Temple University School of Law

Randy R. Potts
Box Turtle Bulletin

Joe Radinovich
Minnesota State House of Representatives

Jonathan Rauch
The Brookings Institution

Stephen Richer
The University of Chicago Law School
Purple Elephant Republicans

Jonathan W. Rowe
Mercer County Community College

Will Saletan
Slate.com

Robert Sarvis
2014 U.S. Senate candidate, Virginia

Sally Satel

Leah Ward Sears
Partner at Schiff Hardin LLP
Former Georgia Supreme Court Justice.

Rick Sincere
Chairman, Gays and Lesbians for Individual Liberty

Christina Hoff Sommers
Resident Scholar

Andrew Sullivan

Berin Szoka
President, TechFreedom

Rich Tafel
Public Squared

Peter Thiel
Co-founder, PayPal

Rob Tisinai
Box Turtle Bulletin

Eugene Volokh
UCLA School of Law

Sasha Volokh
Emory Law School

Milan Vydareny

Cathy Young
Contributing Editor, Reason Magazine

Why are these people so concerned with legitimizing anti-gay bigotry?

Digusting

Signatories

How does having a CEO with anti-gay views legitimize bigotry, or should no company hire upper management with bad personal views? I have seen no evidence that the CEO's stance would have a negative impact on Mozilla's popularity.

Gotchaye

What a bizarre reading of the statement.

It is unambiguous that people opposing same-sex marriage are against "a triumph... for the American idea". The signers "support same-sex marriage" and express an "unwavering commitment to civic and legal equality". They say that "the gay rights struggle is about freedom and equality for all". They say: "We strongly believe that opposition to same-sex marriage is wrong."

They don't outright label SSM opponents "bigots", sure, but they walk right up to the line. Their position is that being an opponent of SSM, and engaging in mild political activism in support of that view, does not warrant a punishment so severe as the loss of a job. They argue for this as flowing from a concern for free speech as a value of a liberal society. Do you have reasons to think that they are doing this dishonestly in order to hide their sympathy for anti-gay people? Or is any concern with substantive free speech really just about a desire to legitimize wrong ideas?

How does having a CEO with anti-gay views legitimize bigotry, or should no company hire upper management with bad personal views? I have seen no evidence that the CEO's stance would have a negative impact on Mozilla's popularity.

I have a problem with the proposition that people shouldn't voice their concerns about peoples views. This letter pretty much says people and society shouldn't be able to stigmatize hateful views. Would the same be said about a letter that substituted racism for anti-gay views?

Gotchaye

I have a problem with the proposition that people shouldn't voice their concerns about peoples views. This letter pretty much says people and society shouldn't be able to stigmatize hateful views. Would the same be said about a letter that substituted racism for anti-gay views?

In fact, they are explicit that people should voice their concerns about other people's views. They argue for persuasion. They celebrate a culture of "robust debate". They contrast what was actually done to Eich with voicing concerns - people tried "to punish rather than to criticize..." Later they are explicit that "We should criticize opposing views, not punish or suppress them".

Clearly they're not against "stigmatizing" hateful views. I don't know where you're getting this.

I suspect they'd bite the bullet on racism, although they've left themselves an out in that Eich's anti-SSM advocacy occurred at a time when a majority of the population was on his side, and even now a substantial fraction is with him.

What a bizarre reading of the statement.

It is unambiguous that people opposing same-sex marriage are against "a triumph... for the American idea". The signers "support same-sex marriage" and express an "unwavering commitment to civic and legal equality". They say that "the gay rights struggle is about freedom and equality for all". They say: "We strongly believe that opposition to same-sex marriage is wrong."

They don't outright label SSM opponents "bigots", sure, but they walk right up to the line. Their position is that being an opponent of SSM, and engaging in mild political activism in support of that view, does not warrant a punishment so severe as the loss of a job. They argue for this as flowing from a concern for free speech as a value of a liberal society. Do you have reasons to think that they are doing this dishonestly in order to hide their sympathy for anti-gay people? Or is any concern with substantive free speech really just about a desire to legitimize wrong ideas?

They support the legal right to same sex marriage. But don't support society promoting that view and saying to other who disagree are wrong. Its colorblind racism with the LGBT movement.

To the bolded I don't think he should lose his job, he quit because his job performance would have been crap because people wouldn't have used his product because of his views. Why is he entitled to protection that view and others must shut their voices? Again would this "mild political activism" hold if he donated to the KKK? The only distinction being is that anti-gay views are accepted.

Do you have reasons to think that they are doing this dishonestly in order to hide their sympathy for anti-gay people?
For some of the people on that list? Yes.
Or is any concern with substantive free speech really just about a desire to legitimize wrong ideas?
I don't see how the 1st amendment and free speech are being threatened.

In fact, they are explicit that people should voice their concerns about other people's views. They argue for persuasion. They celebrate a culture of "robust debate". They contrast what was actually done to Eich with voicing concerns - people tried "to punish rather than to criticize..." Later they are explicit that "We should criticize opposing views, not punish or suppress them".

Clearly they're not against "stigmatizing" hateful views. I don't know where you're getting this.

I suspect they'd bite the bullet on racism, although they've left themselves an out in that Eich's anti-SSM advocacy occurred at a time when a majority of the population was on his side, and even now a substantial fraction is with him.
Where is this distinction drawn? If I remember correctly many were willing to forgive if he renounced his hateful views.

Gotchaye

They support the legal right to same sex marriage. But don't support society promoting that view and saying to other who disagree are wrong. Its colorblind racism with the LGBT movement.
Again, this is obviously untrue. The statement takes great pains to make clear that this is not what it's saying. You're conflating "saying someone's wrong" with "saying someone should be fired". These are clearly distinct things.

To the bolded I don't think he should lose his job, he quit because his job performance would have been crap because people wouldn't have used his product because of his views. Why is he entitled to protection that view and others must shut their voices? Again would this "mild political activism" hold if he donated to the KKK? The only distinction being is that anti-gay views are accepted.
This is sophistry. The statement is aimed at the people who wouldn't have used his product because of his views, and especially at the people who were encouraging other people not to use the product because of his views. It was aimed at that subset of supporters of SSM who seek "to punish rather than to criticize". It's true that there's no discussion of what people who didn't want to harm Eich but who feel such a bone-deep aversion to anti-gay bigotry that they simply couldn't bring themselves to use Firefox ought to have done, but I have yet to see anyone take that position. I don't see where anyone has said that Eich needs "protection", just that it was wrong of people to seek to oust him. Nor do I see any call for people to shut up that goes beyond the usual sort of criticism of wrong opinions, such as the opinion that Eich deserves to be punished. Certainly the signers do not seem to have gone nearly so far as the people they're criticizing - they're not calling for the firing of people who wanted Eich fired.

I thought it was obvious that I was using "mild" as a procedural term, independent of the aim of the activism. Certainly that's how the statement is talking about such activity.

I don't see how the 1st amendment and free speech are being threatened.
I don't see who's mentioned the 1st amendment. The statement makes the short case for how substantive free speech is being threatened. You might also want to read Mill on the marketplace of ideas, or just the Wikipedia article on freedom of speech.

I find it curious how on this issue liberals suddenly turn into libertarians, with a weird focus on only the government's ability to take away people's liberty.

Where is this distinction drawn? If I remember correctly many were willing to forgive if he renounced his hateful views.

Well, clearly the distinction should be somewhere short of requiring that people agree with you as a condition of not suffering harm. You're saying that the Spanish Inquisition was just really, really persuasive. Edit: I want to stress that here we're talking about the difference between persuasion and punishment, not the difference between permissible persuasion/punishment and impermissible persuasion/punishment. (some changes to the sentence before the edit)

East Lake

This is really scary. What happened in the great depression is that common people had no money to buy stuff . . . there would be farms making plenty of food but most of people just did not have money to buy the food. When so much of the wealth gets trapped in the hands of so few, the economy stalls and things blow up. It is not even good for those rich people but many of them can't see that and just greedily want more.
Well you now have the balance of very low wages and welfare. The welfare can't go away. When you're the largest employer as Walmart is you can pay your workers on average a little less than 9 bucks an hour, and when they can't afford to buy the food at Walmart they use your tax money to do it instead. In 1955 GM was the largest employer and they were paying their employees on average 37 bucks an hour.

Got most of this from Robert Reich

Again, this is obviously untrue. The statement takes great pains to make clear that this is not what it's saying. You're conflating "saying someone's wrong" with "saying someone should be fired". These are clearly distinct things.
Many on the list do support that, and why can't I say someone should be fired? Should I not say someone should be fired for racist or repulsive views? Just that they're wrong? Should a KKK member who is a CEO and treats his black employees well but in his spare time hands out flyers saying all blacks should be ship backed to Africa be free from being called on to resign? And if you have a problem with this comparison why? Whats the difference? The only one I see is that anti-gay views have societal legitimacy though religious and traditional reasoning.

This is sophistry. The statement is aimed at the people who wouldn't have used his product because of his views, and especially at the people who were encouraging other people not to use the product because of his views. It was aimed at that subset of supporters of SSM who seek "to punish rather than to criticize". It's true that there's no discussion of what people who didn't want to harm Eich but who feel such a bone-deep aversion to anti-gay bigotry that they simply couldn't bring themselves to use Firefox ought to have done, but I have yet to see anyone take that position. I don't see where anyone has said that Eich needs "protection", just that it was wrong of people to seek to oust him. Nor do I see any call for people to shut up that goes beyond the usual sort of criticism of wrong opinions, such as the opinion that Eich deserves to be punished. Certainly the signers do not seem to have gone nearly so far as the people they're criticizing - they're not calling for the firing of people who wanted Eich fired.

Is a boycott not speech? Why can't someone face consequences for their speech? How else do you get rid of things like racism, anti-gay bigotry, Misogyny, reckless views about animal rights, and other abhorrent views without policing them out of general public discourse. The issue is were still in the period where people are forgiven for their what will, in the future, be seen as horrifyingly nasty views about their fellow human beings. Many people aren't willing to wait for that future. And I can't blame the LGBT people who are sick and tired of being made fun of, who have been and still are beaten, shunned by their families, made fun of at school, denied protection because of an innate characteristic. (I think this explains why I'm much less active in these movements, because I don't face the negatives of these views, I'm straight)

The protection is the feeling that he should be protected from calls for consequences, the idea that we need to respect his viewpoint as valid and not call for action and social protests against it. Its not laws its the social protection that seeks to say homophobia is just a personal believe. The last line is just, well I'm not sure what the intent was. It reminds me of what i found most repulsive in the letter the comparison to Eich to LGBT americans who are fired for their homosexuality

Its not sophistry, this question is wrought with small technicalities which change the nature.

I don't see who's mentioned the 1st amendment. The statement makes the short case for how substantive free speech is being threatened. You might also want to read Mill on the marketplace of ideas, or just the Wikipedia article on freedom of speech.

I find it curious how on this issue liberals suddenly turn into libertarians, with a weird focus on only the government's ability to take away people's liberty.

I'm a extreme defender of the 1st amendment. I was glad for the decision in the Westboro case. That's what the 1st amendment and free speech is designed to protect. I don't like the European concept of government banning types of hate speech (Fighting words are pretty much the only thing I think governments should have the right to regulate because that's less about the content than the action).

My question goes back to the original one I've been harping on does Homophobia deserve the same place at that marketplace as other ideas. Does racism? Does antisemitism? Does misogyny?
Well, clearly the distinction should be somewhere short of requiring that people agree with you as a condition of not suffering harm. You're defending the Spanish Inquisition's understanding of persuasion vs punishment at this point.
I find this weird his view and others that oppose gay marriage and gay rights is just being presented as a disagreement, like the difference between me and a anti miscegenation activist is just a polite disagreement. rather than one person who believes in equality and one who doesn't.

This isn't political disagreement like republican vs. democrats, its about fundamental human rights.

Kay Hagan has a better chance of winning than Gary Peters.
So what is it about Michigan? Do Dems just not show up in non-presidential years? Obama won by nearly 17 and 10 points but Snyder gets elected and (maybe) re-elected in between? Stabenow wins in '12 by 20 points but Peters may just barely scrape by this year?

I know this happens all over but is Michigan worse in Dem turnout for midterms or something?

The part Gotchaye is calling sophistry is this:
Because it conveniently elides the role of the people calling for boycotts.
I don't think ignored that. I think that the boycott lead to that. I'm arguing on the mechanisms for how that translated to "his punishment" they didn't use his product because they didn't want to support a company that hired him.

Well, these arguments seem to be in opposition. If you don't think homophobia/racism/sexism deserves a place in the marketplace of ideas, then what's wrong with the European concept of banning it? Why should we care which actor moves to bar this type of speech, when the results are the same either way?
I think your misinterpreting what I'm saying. I don't think the government have the right to ban any view no matter how abhorrent. Racism, Nazism, sexism, Homophobia are protected views under free speech, until they turn into fighting words.

The marketplace of ideas is a separate concept than the constitutional question of free speech. It has to do with societies self regulation not the governments.
Generally, I would suggest that a reasonable response to an abhorrent argument is to point out why it's wrong, to make a counter-argument, rather than to act to punish the person making the argument. This is also what the statement you linked us to is saying.
That's not what is done in those other examples (racism, sexism, etc) the debates by and large have been had. The gay rights one is almost there. There is no reason for homophobia. The letter admits to that. But it seeks to establish a precedent for 'respect' to an idea that is no different to those others societal policed norms that if one breaks usually brings about consequences. Nobody decries oppression when the ideas of Anders Breivik are laughed out of the room (I'm not calling homophobes murders but using him because of his large manifesto in support of an abhorrent idea) and not engaged. We can't have perpetual "discussions" about racism , sexism, homophobia, never getting anywhere. Eventually society declares a winner.

Its not as if they're being beaten locked up, hurt, harmed because of their view. They've being asked to change it. This letter says they never should and we should respect them in perpetuity else we are stifling the marketplace of ideas.
You can bring up all kinds of counter-examples of abhorrent ideas and force people to bite those bullets, but surely such examples are an argument against free speech in general, yes?

No, as I described above. I believe in an absolute legal right to speech, less so on the social end.

The letter and I part ways when it compares the pro-equality message to a hateful message which seeks to dehumanize people no matter their professions of love to gay people
The freedom—not just legal but social—to express even very unpopular views is the engine that propelled the gay-rights movement from its birth against almost hopeless odds two generations ago. A culture of free speech created the social space for us to criticize and demolish the arguments against gay marriage and LGBT equality. For us and our advocates to turn against that culture now would be a betrayal of the movement’s deepest and most humane values.

And I don't know how this can be said
As a viewpoint, opposition to gay marriage is not a punishable offense. It can be expressed hatefully, but it can also be expressed respectfully. We strongly believe that opposition to same-sex marriage is wrong, but the consequence of holding a wrong opinion should not be the loss of a job.
Unless one has a really pedantic about the definition of respectful holding it only in the meaning of physical conduct. Because claiming another person doesn't deserve equal rights isn't respectful.

Edit: Matt Bevin has a awesome family btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlhVhBi_io&feature=youtu.be

So what is it about Michigan? Do Dems just not show up in non-presidential years? Obama won by nearly 17 and 10 points but Snyder gets elected and (maybe) re-elected in between? Stabenow wins in '12 by 20 points but Peters may just barely scrape by this year?

I know this happens all over but is Michigan worse in Dem turnout for midterms or something?

Polls aren't taking into account the fact that Detroit/Oakland County alone should win this for Peters.

I'll add an addition.

I think there is an argument to be had that its been to fast to hold people to account for their views on gay marriage and LGBT people in general (I think were gonna find acceptance of homosexuality is a bit farther behind support of legal rights). As Oprah said, some people aren't gonna change their ideas while alive. It might not be fair to hold them responsible for that.

But people should be upfront about that. The argument is socially disliking and being uncomfortable around gays is acceptable socially so it shouldn't be punished. Because in 100 years people won't defend these people and ideas as "personal opinions"

I would replace the bolded with "they wanted him fired." Which is what Gotchaye and I were both getting at.
I think both are accurate thought I think you should change it to change views rather than get fired.

I think you can see it as pressing Mozilla to disavow his views or as a punishment for him.

Both affect him but the intent is different.

Well, why? If this is purely about legality, why not just change the Constitution such that we can have the same anti-hate speech laws as Europe?

Because acceptable views change, that's one thing the letter got right. And I don't think people should be punished if they're not harming others. If they are then it moves unto the relm of fighting words.

Its not the governments job to police ideas, that's society's.

Jooney

I completely agree with APKmetsfan here. I don't know why we are getting into the business of coddling anti-gay behaviour and actions under the guise of "respect". Eich was free, is free and will forever be free to donate, march, rally and participate in whatever political actions he chooses. However, he is not free from the repercussions of society in responding to his actions. Mozilla's user base and developer base are all free to disassociate with him and the company he oversees as they see fit.

Moreover, this is not a "libertarian" reading of the 1st amendment. It's the exact same type of reading that is applied for whenever people express abhorrent views about women, racial minorities, and disabled persons.

Tim Cook could come out tomorrow and say the most abhorrent thing about women, but I highly doubt that anyone here will be giving him a pass for doing so. Nope, he would be asked to step down by Apple's board in the interest of retaining value for its shareholders and for upholding the public perception and values of the company. Yet people are willing to apply a different standard for speech pertaining to LGBT people. It's high time we change that.

There is no media outlet that keeps the democrat base as enraptured, angry and daresay organized as the republicans do. They tap into emotions of fear or action so easily that they can get ppl to vote easily.

Dems dont have a Fox News or Rush to rally ppl to vote. The passion just isnt there unless its a presidential election.

I completely agree with APKmetsfan here. I don't know why we are getting into the business of coddling anti-gay behaviour and actions under the guise of "respect". Eich was free, is free and will forever be free to donate, march, rally and participate in whatever political actions he chooses. However, he is not free from the repercussions of society in responding to his actions. Mozilla's user base and developer base are all free to disassociate with him and the company he oversees as they see fit.

Moreover, this is not a "libertarian" reading of the 1st amendment. It's the exact same type of reading that is applied for whenever people express abhorrent views about women, racial minorities, and disabled persons.

Tim Cook could come out tomorrow and say the most abhorrent thing about women, but I highly doubt that anyone here will be giving him a pass for doing so. Nope, he would be asked to step down by Apple's board in the interest of retaining value for its shareholders and for upholding the public perception and values of the company. Yet people are willing to apply a different standard for speech pertaining to LGBT people. It's high time we change that.

I can't recall the last time you posted in this thread. I agree 100% with everything you said.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I would just like to juxtapose two recent issues real quick.

On the one hand, when the Supreme Court decided McCutcheon, some were outraged because contributions of money aren't speech.

On the other hand, Eich's financial contribution in support of Prop. 8 is equated with Tim Cook saying "the most abhorrent thing about women," with "the relm of fighting words," and holding "racist and repulsive views." Almost as if his contribution were a symbol of a thing as objectionable as those.

One of those arguments has to be false.

Piecake

On the one hand, when the Supreme Court decided McCutcheon, some were outraged because contributions of money aren't speech.

On the other hand, Eich's financial contribution in support of Prop. 8 is equated with Tim Cook saying "the most abhorrent thing about women," with "the relm of fighting words," and holding "racist and repulsive views." Almost as if his contribution were a symbol of a thing as objectionable as those.

You are obviously making a statement with who you give your money to. The outrage was that an individual person shouldn't have more speech to influence the democratic process than someone else just because he is rich.

Gotchaye

Many on the list do support that, and why can't I say someone should be fired? Should I not say someone should be fired for racist or repulsive views? Just that they're wrong? Should a KKK member who is a CEO and treats his black employees well but in his spare time hands out flyers saying all blacks should be ship backed to Africa be free from being called on to resign? And if you have a problem with this comparison why? Whats the difference? The only one I see is that anti-gay views have societal legitimacy though religious and traditional reasoning.
You say that like it's not important. There's a reason that there's a strong pro-SSM movement but not a strong don't-ship-black-people-to-Africa movement. Opinions on gay marriage are much more politically salient. It's not crazy to think that the interests of large political minorities should be more protected than the interests of small political minorities.

I'm not terribly interested in hashing out what exactly the limits of free speech ought to be. Many uncontroversially free countries ban "hate speech". The Wikipedia article I linked mentions some modern discussions of justifications for regulating "offensive" speech. There's room for reasonable disagreement here. Of course, if you want to go this route you have to have rules for defining what's "offensive" and what's "hate speech" that more than a bare majority have agreed to beforehand, or else you're going to be in great danger of banning even correct opinions that need to be aired. Freedom of speech only works if the people in power allow people without power to enjoy it. Their commitment to freedom of expression must overcome their dislike of what is being expressed.

The statement brings this up with its discussion of how gay people faced widespread employment discrimination not too long ago. You bolded the anecdote about Franklin Kameny. Of course we all agree it was wrong that he was fired, although note that the people actually doing the firing had what might well have been perfectly reasonable grounds for firing him - concerns about how having him as an employee would reflect upon his employer, etc. The core problem was that there were all these people who would plausibly have seen Kameny's homosexuality as reflecting poorly on his employer. The population at large could not be trusted not to let Kameny's homosexuality color their behavior, and this widespread intolerance created an environment where it just made sense to fire Kameny.

It's all well and good to look back at this and feel morally superior to the people of the time. We are morally superior. But we can learn from this too - we're not morally perfect, and we have every reason to think that, fifty years from now, people will be looking back at us and wondering how it was we could go along with such obvious bigotry against some groups (the nature of the thing is that it's really hard for us to see that, embedded as we are in our environment). So it's incumbent upon us to figure out how to go about avoiding contributing to this sort of wrong even when we can't recognize an instance of it as wrong. We also want to be sure that people who do see that it's wrong are able to come forward and make their case.

Hence liberalism (of the sort that everybody pays lip service to today). That's basically the whole idea - not being so sure of ourselves that we decide that we know what the best way to do things is and forcing that on everybody else. Freedom of speech is an important part of this. But why on earth would we think that this should be limited only to governmental suppression of unpopular speech? In the early 20th century, sure, I get how someone might think that. The core libertarian error (for the principled ones rather than the "fuck you got mine" variety) is that they didn't pay attention when Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and the Civil Rights Movement came up in their history classes. Private power can be just as oppressive as government power, and government power can even be used to address abuses of private power. What liberals (in the modern sense now) are typically concerned with is maximizing liberty, full stop, rather than minimizing impositions on liberty from just the one source.

It's not okay when an employer discriminates against a gay person. But it can't be wrong just because anti-gay bigotry is wrong. If that's so, then business-owners don't have moral reasons not to discriminate against gay people until they're convinced that being anti-gay is wrong, and the whole liberal idea is toothless - you don't have a society that doesn't discriminate until you have a society where the majority doesn't have any urge to discriminate (given that they're willing to legislate non-discrimination). We want to catch this kind of error before that - we want norms that would achieve non-discrimination before a majority is on board with non-discrimination as a first-order goal (that is, because they see gay people as fully equal and understand that "separate but equal" is wrong-headed, etc.). At least we want to hurry this along as much as possible. What we want, as quickly as possible, is for there to be a large group of people whose attitude towards a group is something like "Well, I don't like Xes. I'd be unhappy if my daughter married an X. I think they're generally worse people than people like me and that if they spread their views we'll all be worse off. But they ought to have the same rights as everyone else, and they should enjoy all of the same social, political, and economic opportunities as someone like me." I'm going on way too long, but there should be caveats here about spheres of interaction - it's more wrong to discriminate as interactions become less personal. It's hard to object if you discriminate as to who you date based on sex, or if you're only friends with people who share your religion, although the latter seems to me to indicate a character flaw. But we're talking about a pretty faceless interaction when we're talking about Eich.

Is a boycott not speech? Why can't someone face consequences for their speech? How else do you get rid of things like racism, anti-gay bigotry, Misogyny, reckless views about animal rights, and other abhorrent views without policing them out of general public discourse. The issue is were still in the period where people are forgiven for their what will, in the future, be seen as horrifyingly nasty views about their fellow human beings. Many people aren't willing to wait for that future. And I can't blame the LGBT people who are sick and tired of being made fun of, who have been and still are beaten, shunned by their families, made fun of at school, denied protection because of an innate characteristic. (I think this explains why I'm much less active in these movements, because I don't face the negatives of these views, I'm straight)
You can define a boycott as speech, I guess, but you don't get to duck the philosophical argument about why people should feel no restraint in indulging the first-order urge to boycott by defining it as speech. Boycotts do direct economic harm - that's the point. That's quite a bit different from most other sorts of speech, which at worst offend (though again note that there are people who take psychological harm quite seriously and who think that that justifies even outright banning certain other kinds of speech based on their content).

People shouldn't face consequences for their speech, in general, because we value freedom of speech. That's the whole point of it, as I hope I explained above. It's still bizarre to me to hear a liberal insisting on this huge distinction between consequences from the government and consequences from private power post-1964, or maybe post-Marx.

And it seems rather ahistorical to talk like boycotts are an important tool for getting rid of things like racist or misogynistic speech. I'm having trouble coming up with any examples of influential boycotts in response to such speech. I can think of some useful boycotts of problematic actions, but that's obviously not what we're talking about. Overall, economic coercion seems to have done much, much more harm than good, given the the actual history of the US, and if we just agreed to never do it at all the side of justice would be at much less of a disadvantage going forward, I think.

Gotchaye

I think that a lot of talk about Eich's donation as speech is just (forgivable) laziness - I found out pretty quickly in one of the Eich threads that very few people who agree with me on cases like McCutcheon and Citizens United were willing to grant that Eich's donations were speech. That he had acted in an anti-gay way was taken to be an important reason why going after him was okay.

That said, I do think that Eich's donation was basically speech. I don't think that money isn't speech, though. The problem with money in politics is that people aren't given equal opportunity to speak. A $1000 donation in one election is procedurally ordinary and within reach for a large number of passionate people. What, say, the Koch brothers are doing goes well beyond ordinary political engagement.

Jooney

Come on now. That's not fair.

That was not in reference to you. You're one of the good ones*.

And no, I don't think it's entirely unfair.

Quick poll: how many of you guys stood up for Paula Dean, Don Imis and the Duck Dynasty guy when they made racially insensitive remarks about African-Americans? How many of you out there went into bat for these people and said that, in the interest of tolerance and respect, that they should keep their jobs and face no repercussions for their comments?

None of you, right? And with good reason. Saying stupid things about black people doesn't make people blink twice about whether or not the people who made the comments should face consequences for their actions. Hence "different standard of speech for [comments relating to] LGBT people". If we are serious about LGBT equality then we need to push the needle on the conversation and start holding people accountable for their actions, and not just tolerate intolerance for the sake of appearing tolerant.

and by good ones I mean white people

Vahagn

I'm still struggling with this. I detest the hardcore anti-gay proponents on the conservative side. But I do understand that we're going through a transitional stage of shifting thought across the country and people are changing their positions on the issue. I know as a teenager at the early part of the last decade I was immature and hadn't thought it through, so the normal gay bashing and name calling was part of my high school experience. As I grew up and became more mature this completely changed as it has for so many others over the past decade or two and am now and have been for many years pro gay rights.

The Mozilla guy, per my recollection did apologize and say that his position had evolved. Assuming he was being honest and not just doing damage control, I think it's a shame he got fired.

That being said, the outrage on the right is preposterous. Countless people have lost their jobs, been denied opportunities, and have even been harassed during criminal investigations for being LGBT for as far back as anyone can remember in this country. Being LGBT was synonymous with with being a sexual deviant and child molestation/abduction cases made many LGBT members instant suspects.

The right faux outrage is the same as the defense of that Bundy character. If Cliven Bundy was a poor black person who hadn't obeyed the law for 20 years they would be all over him.

The right wing outrage is always about if someone looks like them, thinks like them, votes like them, they'll defend him and seek special protections. And if not, they won't.

Retro

Sarah Palin was criticized (for all of a week, maybe?) for using her children, especially the mentally handicapped one, as props on the campaign trail. Then even guys like Keith Olberman realized that kind of thing should be off the table and everybody moved on (even though the use of her kids for political points very obviously continued). So of course the Right can't even wait until the kid is born to start attacking the Clintons via their daughter who has the audacity to get married and start a family, because now it's their turn. The article comes across as bitter and petty and desperately trying anything it can to try and tarnish the Clintons, even if it means via the proxy of their unborn grandchild.

So much for protecting the unborn, eh? Guess it doesn't count if you can score political points for jabbing a fetus just because half of it's DNA comes from people you have political scruples with.

Gotchaye

That was not in reference to you. You're one of the good ones*.

And no, I don't think it's entirely unfair.

Quick poll: how many of you guys stood up for Paula Dean, Don Imis and the Duck Dynasty guy when they made racially insensitive remarks about African-Americans? How many of you out there went into bat for these people and said that, in the interest of tolerance and respect, that they should keep their jobs and face no repercussions for their comments?

None of you, right? And with good reason. Saying stupid things about black people doesn't make people blink twice about whether or not the people who made the comments should face consequences for their actions. Hence "different standard of speech for [comments relating to] LGBT people". If we are serious about LGBT equality then we need to push the needle on the conversation and start holding people accountable for their actions, and not just tolerate intolerance for the sake of appearing tolerant.

and by good ones I mean white people

I went to bat for Duck Dynasty guy: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94191925&postcount=847

Or at least I expressed similar concerns. Eich wasn't using his position as Mozilla CEO to gain a platform for his views, which is a pretty important difference to me and is a distinction that I brought up in that post. I was fine with the Chik-Fil-A boycott too because the company was actually involved, although I think the boycott was expressive rather than effective.

Again, where is the evidence Eich said anything that threatened Mozilla's bottom line (if they even have a bottom line) or user base? And with Cook...I doubt people would stop buying overpriced Apple products quarterly regardless of what he said, but I could understand the decision to severe ties.

Same reason I defended the Duck Dynasty guy, and Imus to a lesser degree.

teiresias

Am I reading this Affirmative Action ruling too broadly or did this POS SCOTUS actually just basically say that so long as something is voted on by referendum, the "dynamic" of the first amendment allows the voters to do this kind of thing - majority rules, minority protections be damned.

If so, it seems like a group of the judges are prepping their rationale for finding gay marriage bans that are enacted by referendum constitutional.

Kennedy said nothing in the Constitution or the court's prior cases gives judges the authority to undermine the election results.

I put nothing past this ridiculous court at this point.

East Lake

People shouldn't face consequences for their speech, in general, because we value freedom of speech. That's the whole point of it, as I hope I explained above. It's still bizarre to me to hear a liberal insisting on this huge distinction between consequences from the government and consequences from private power post-1964, or maybe post-Marx.
I don't think you've thought this through entirely. It seems like you're essentially advocating for no consequences discourse. That's a problem if you have a hateful person in any position of power.

Jooney

Again, where is the evidence Eich said anything that threatened Mozilla's bottom line (if they even have a bottom line) or user base?

Why would financial quantitative data exist in the public domain, and why would Mozilla release it? If it exists at all, I assume it would be in the hands of Mozilla's board and was used in their decision to ask Eich to step down.

I presume the decision to ask him to step down was based on the damage to the Mozilla brand the threats of boycotts from the user base and crowd-sourced developer base.

So let's say you are right here, who are these people that are going to vote for Peters but then turn around and vote for Snyder?

Granholm is Bush status here still, it's a weight on democrat governor candidates just as Bush is a weight on republican presidential candidates. Peters is relatively popular but more importantly his opponent will be undone on Medicaid. I think Snyder and Peters will win.

I'll give Snyder props for fighting for the expansion, and so far the program has worked well, especially for children.

I can see some problems with the Eich issue.

But the outrage on the right .. . I don't have sympathy for their outrage. They are the ones always saying that the free market sorts these things out. Well, here is an instance where the free market went against an anti-gay person . . . and they hated it.

Sorry, you can't say the market will fix all sorts of problems and then get outraged when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom